JonBenet the handful/sparkplug?

eileenhawkeye

Reaction score
For the 10th anniversary, John was interviewed on Larry King Live:

KING: JonBenet would have been 16?

J. RAMSEY: Uh-huh.

KING: Ever think about what she would have been like?

J. RAMSEY: She would have been a handful. I have no doubt of that.

KING: Broken some hearts, too.

J. RAMSEY: Well, probably. But, yes, she was -- she had a ton of energy, so...

What does everyone make of this? It doesn't seem like the most affectionate way to describe your murdered daughter.

Also, the following quotes are all from different interviews:

John Ramsey: "She was the spark plug of our family because of this zest that she had, she just kept things alive and hopping. It's not the same without her."

John Ramsey: "She was a spark-plug in our family. She was a ball of energy. That's just something you can't not remember."

John Ramsey: She was a spark plug. She was the spark plug in our family.

John Ramsey: She was the spark plug in our family, that's how I looked at her. She kept things alive and going.

Why can't John describe JonBenet as anything other than a "sparkplug"? Was JonBenet being a "sparkplug" or a "handful" the night of her murder?

hmm it does seem like the only way he describes her:waitasec:

Clearly she fired everyone up....and perhaps could energize anger just as easily as happiness or any other emotion.

Still, it's hard to imagine given her mother and grandmother and the whole Pageant thing that she couldn't have done the little tantrum thing on a grand scale. We've all seen the series Tantrums and Tiaras, I don't think this kind of lifestyle or upbringing creates someone who doesn't demand what they want.

the way they both talk about her (that child,etc) sounds to me like depersonalizing the victim,distancing themselves.
isn't this what the RN author did as well?he/she never mentioned her by name in it.
there is a lot of interesting stuff online about why killers do that.

the way they both talk about her (that child,etc) sounds to me like depersonalizing the victim,distancing themselves.
isn't this what the RN author did as well?he/she never mentioned her by name in it.

You may be right, but we have relatively few comments from either JR or PR on anything and we pour over and over the few we do have.

In my family, we all refer to my granddaughter as a "handful." It's partially an affectionate tribute to a beautiful young girl with a very strong and usually charming personality. And, frankly, it's partially an acknowledgement that she can be a challenge at times. But nobody has ever even struck her, much less killed her.

We use the term 'feral' for my 5 year old, but she clearly isn't and I wouldn't hurt her either.
But demanding, tantrum throwing, defiant, prima dona-ish......you can't project your own actions onto others.

I'm sure you wouldn't murder someone either Nova, but people do murder.
(Although if I don't go down for breakfast now my wife might consider it) ;)

Now, we're talking!

a sparkplug???
I could thin of a million adjatives, but sparkplug?
Sparkplug can be an object also?/??/

You may be right, but we have relatively few comments from either JR or PR on anything and we pour over and over the few we do have.

In my family, we all refer to my granddaughter as a "handful." It's partially an affectionate tribute to a beautiful young girl with a very strong and usually charming personality. And, frankly, it's partially an acknowledgement that she can be a challenge at times. But nobody has ever even struck her, much less killed her.

dunno,guess it depends,I call my bf "a pain in the ^%&" sometimes,but of course I do it outta love,I am joking.If he'd be dead I guess I'd choose my words more carefully and such expressions would make me cry and I would feel guilty I guess.They wouldn't even pop in my head when thinking and talking about him,the memories would be too painful.It's different when you talk about a living person than of someone who was taken away from you or was even murdered.IMO
But ONE thing's for sure.
I would NEVER call him "THAT guy"!!!
But I guess this depends,people are different.For ex my mom used to call me "this child" when being angry with me and telling my dad what I did."how can this child be like this or do something like this".But I am sure,if I'd die tomorrow she would never ever use that kind of words again when talking about me!

I can't read too much into this. I have too many nicknames for my kids that are based in happy family memories and love, but which don't sound so great to outsiders.

And I don't think "handful" or "sparkplug" sound offensive. I think they sound like a 16 year old girl. I think they sound exactly like what mine will be at 16, since that's about the nicest way you could have described me at 16. :innocent:

I do recall John saying once that JonBenet would make him angry.

My daughter just turned six...she is a handful. She is smart aleck, loud, defiant and very demanding. She could turn on the charm when she wants something, but most days she does emotionally exhaust me. I love my daughter but with her strong-willed personality, I have to walk away at times.

JonBenet was just as strong-willed. She yelled at adults...like LHP. Poor Linda tried to help JonBenet with her boots only to get yelled at "Go away, leave me alone!" At one party, she tells LHP, "don't answer the door, I'm answering it!" She kicked and elbowed her relatives...

My daughter is a handful but never would I allow her to treat adults in that manner.

JonBenet was becoming defiant towards Patsy those last few days before her death. The day of the Christmas party, Patsy scolded her for wearing too much make-up..."Take that off" says Patsy. JonBenet did not want to wear a dress for the party. Patsy made her wear the green velvet dress. Maybe that is why she was quiet at the party and cried that she did not feel pretty.

Christmas day JonBenet and Patsy got into it...the red turtleneck Patsy wanted JonBenet to wear...

Patsy was losing control over her daughter. JonBenet was no longer Patsy's doll baby...JonBenet was coming into her own and that really irked Patsy.

The nuns at my convent school called me "The Antichrist". But I don't think they really meant it. I'm NOT, by the way. But I know who is.

I do recall John saying once that JonBenet would make him angry.

My daughter just turned six...she is a handful. She is smart aleck, loud, defiant and very demanding. She could turn on the charm when she wants something, but most days she does emotionally exhaust me. I love my daughter but with her strong-willed personality, I have to walk away at times.

JonBenet was just as strong-willed. She yelled at adults...like LHP. Poor Linda tried to help JonBenet with her boots only to get yelled at "Go away, leave me alone!" At one party, she tells LHP, "don't answer the door, I'm answering it!" She kicked and elbowed her relatives...

My daughter is a handful but never would I allow her to treat adults in that manner.

JonBenet was becoming defiant towards Patsy those last few days before her death. The day of the Christmas party, Patsy scolded her for wearing too much make-up..."Take that off" says Patsy. JonBenet did not want to wear a dress for the party. Patsy made her wear the green velvet dress. Maybe that is why she was quiet at the party and cried that she did not feel pretty.

Christmas day JonBenet and Patsy got into it...the red turtleneck Patsy wanted JonBenet to wear...

Patsy was losing control over her daughter. JonBenet was no longer Patsy's doll baby...JonBenet was coming into her own and that really irked Patsy.

I agree, Toltec. Patsy had no choice when growing up. She did exactly what Nedra wanted her to do and she could not understand why JonBenet didn't do the same by her. Another big stressor for Patsy that Christmas was JonBenet not loving the My Twinn doll. In the photo we've all seen of her and JB that morning, it's obvious that Patsy had been crying. I believe it was because of JB's reaction to the doll and the fact that John had given her a bicycle for Christmas. Dont ask me why, but I do believe that bicycle was a huge blow to Patsy's ego!

2 things:
LW believed in the Ramseys innocence (like alot of people do); he wasnt intentionally helping murderers get away with a crime.

Its possible the term "sparkplug" was a polite way of saying JBR was extremely spoiled and demanding.

2 things:
LW believed in the Ramseys innocence (like alot of people do); he wasnt intentionally helping murderers get away with a crime.

Its possible the term "sparkplug" was a polite way of saying JBR was extremely spoiled and demanding.

You may be right, peepers, in that LW believed in the R's innocence, in the beginning, anyway. But, no way he still does. This man is way too intelligent to believe that after all these years. He would have to have knowledge of the crime in order to defend their actions.

Some off topic posts were removed and some player bashing. Let's stay on topic and remember not to bash the players or suggest doing "horrible" things to them, etc.

Got it?

Thanks!

Some off topic posts were removed and some player bashing. Let's stay on topic and remember not to bash the players or suggest doing "horrible" things to them, etc.

Got it?

Thanks!

:innocent::innocent::innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member