GUILTY CA - Caren Ramirez & 3 others for imprisonment, torture of 16yo boy, Tracy, 2008

I'm not sure if this should be in the missing threads or not. I'm not sure there is a thread for him. The poor kid's name has not been released yet.

http://www.kcra.com/news/18182970/detail.html

A missing teenager ran into a fitness center Monday with an inch-thick chain shackled to his ankle, and he may have been held captive, Tracy police said.

Wearing just boxer briefs, the 17-year-old burst into an InShape Fitness Center at about 4 p.m., said Chuck Ellis, who works at the gym.

Ellis said the boy looked scared and said, "Hide me, please hide me." (more at link)

How sad. I read this the other day going while driving. I am so glad he had the courage to get away. A lot of people in these situations are afraid to try and get away because sometimes the outcome is not to good.

Where is the thread to send a note?

When a child runs away here, you have to give up your custody rights to the state for them to place the child under an In Need Of Supervision warrant. Outside of having that, LE is not able to pick the child (I believe it is over the age of 14) up if they ask and the child doesn't want to go with them! How crazy is that?!

I think the laws do need to change as to our foster care systems and for teen runaways. They need to completely overhaul the old system now in place and hold them accountable. I hope this case does highlight that need across the nation.

Is this kinda like what is going on in Nebraska?

It breaks my heart that some parents can give up so easily. If you can't be a parent then get on birth control and in some cases do not adopted. While in cases of parents neglecting their kids they do not get near the punishment as say someone dealing/making drugs. This right here is not right. I've always have had the saying: Just because your name is mom or dad doesn't make you a parent.

Does anybody know where this boy is now?
Who is caring for him?
Oh dear this is a heart braker.... :(

This story bothers me, She never called cps because she knew others had called pertaining to Austin, I would think the more people that called CPS would really have given a big RED FLAG..
Sorry to say She or anyone should never assume that CPS is going to take care of this problem.

f I had him in my class daily and saw this abuse..I would be screaming at the top of my lungs, writing down everything he said, taking pictures whatever it took. This is like putting the ball in someone else's court to carry it..

Kyle was one person and Austin another they both needed separate voices out their protecting them..This is so Sad.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the Teachers response. It's the same as nothing getting done, because everyone thinks someone else is taking care of it. What was the mandatory reporting requirement in 2002?

On the other hand...Kudos and a lifetime of good Karma for Kyle's bestfriend, that would give his lunch to Kyle and wait till he got home to eat. What a sweetie pie.

ETA: Many adults dropped the ball and failed this child. Heads should roll.

Does anybody know where this boy is now?
Who is caring for him?
Oh dear this is a heart braker.... :(

Last I heard, he was in the hospital :( Maybe the state is taking care of him or a temporary foster parent.

So are we sending him the thread of notes? I really think that would be awesome. It'll probably help with his healing too.

So are we sending him the thread of notes? I really think that would be awesome. It'll probably help with his healing too.

I believe so. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want to say to Kyle. Everytime I look at my son, my heart breaks for this kid. I just can't imagine being so cruel.

Last I heard, he was in the hospital :( Maybe the state is taking care of him or a temporary foster parent.

He was released from the hospital and into the custody of...Yes, CPS. Again. Not as if there were other choices I guess, but COME ON.

My heartbreals for Kyle...

Okay I am still a little confused, from Austins interview it sounds like their mom died just recently. So they were both taken away from their father & given to this Caren......but where was the mother during that time?

I am I correct that Austin ran-away from Caren home and ended up un Foster Care? WHY didn't the county get involved and look for Kyle once they had Austin.....I thought I heard Austin say that a teacher or maybe someone else would occassionaly run into Caren & Kyle...WTF and know one did anything??????????????????????????????????:furious:

I think the mother died and had left Caren to take care of them. Their birth father abused them so they were taken from him and either in CPS custody and then Caren? Not sure on the order of things..

I think the mother died and had left Caren to take care of them. Their birth father abused them so they were taken from him and either in CPS custody and then Caren? Not sure on the order of things..

I got the impression from Austin's interview that the mother died within the last year. I'm not sure of the circumstances of their having been taken from their parents - but I'm pretty sure he said in the raw interview he had just gotten to know his mother and she had died rather recently - he mentioned that with that and Kyle it's been a really rough year. I'll have to relisten to his interview just to be sure.

This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. The horrors this boy has lived through in his 16 years. How can that be fixed? How can he ever develop a trusting relationship with anyone, when his whole life has been about pain, loss and abuse. This boy appears to have been let down by every adult he ever encountered.

His former teacher has my dander up too, she knew there was an open case so she didn't need to add her two cents worth or what? Is this a case of not wanting to get involved? If a child came to my class hungry everyday, stealing food so he didn't starve; I'd be calling protective services everyday. Because clearly someone wasn't doing their job. Does knowing there is an open case relieve everyone else of the responsibility of following procedure? This just makes me so angry!

I hope Kyle and Austin are given the opportunity to heal together, and somehow, someone is able to teach them there are good people in the world, like the woman working at the gym who said she was ready and willing to fight off who ever Kyle thought was following him. And that at some point in his life, Kyle is brave enough to take the chance on letting someone love him.

Girl Scouts of America, is in no way responsible for this crazy woman, her husband, Kyle's guardian or what happened in their house. Having been a GS leader for over 10 years I believe there is probably a lower incidence of abuse from women leaders than the general population. We are checked out before we ever spend any time with the girls. Most meetings are not held in the leaders home, they are held at scout huts, churches, school cafeteria's and anyplace else we can beg, borrow or steal to get into. And even tho no one ever came to my home to make sure I wasn't hiding children in my laundry room, I did have other adults, or parents that stopped by unannounced, dropping off paper work, money, supplies and sometimes even kids.

What is surprising to me, even in this day and age is the number of parents who wouldn't have recognized me if they tripped over me, they would drop their kids at the curb and honk their horn to pick up or worse yet make their kids beg a ride from someone else every week. Basically using GS as babysitters, paying no attention to who they left their kids with. INHO these are the people who should be investigated. Not the people who give freely of their time and energy, taking time away from their own family.

I just listed to the whole interview

:(

regarding the mum she died within the past year but Austin said that he didn't blame Kyle for not really wanting to know about it all, because he never really knew her , that he (austin) had only just really gotten to know her all over again and he was the one that took care of her during hospice

NOW this is the REALLY Important bit

IF Austin can get funding / job etc HE will more than likely be allowed to take care of Kyle.

Im not in USA but surely someone over there can talk to someone over in that area to give Austin a Job.

Do you have rent assistance or government funded housing over there ?

Kyle trusts Austin and he wants to be with Austin

This would be the BEST thing for both Kyle and Austin.

In regards to other things in this thread. I am adopted. I write an adoption blog about the horrors of Foster Care and Adoption. People are very naive when it comes to foster care and adoption (in particular) People are very naive when it comes to SAFE HAVEN to which I have purposely stayed out of that thread on here.

In regards to my own children. I would never let them have a sleepover with a friend that My husband and I were not REALLY Good friends with the parents

Life is too precious, and there ARE Too many weirdos (as Austin) said out there

Oh and if ANYONE is a TATTOOIST please contact Austin - he said as soon as he can afford it he wants to get a tattoo of Kyles Name

:)

He also asked for HELP - not money but HELP help about Guardianship......

Anyone a lawyer ?

My heart and prayers go out to this young man as he travels down the road to recovery so that he may have a normal life once again.

The roles have reversed. I love poetic justice.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/06/BAH514INTI.DTL&type=newsbayarea

(snips)
A day earlier, Portillo watched as police removed a couch, a rug and chains from the couple's home, just hours before Schumacher and Lau appeared in court, their hands shackled at the waist.

Tracy officials and gym employees have been flooded with letters, e-mails and calls from people across the country who want to adopt the boy or donate money. Tracy police officers bought the boy a Nintendo video game system. The Oakland Raiders have invited him to a game.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back