Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess Doman didn't approve of the Judges comments to her earlier...

In Session The witness repeats that she originally thought Greta Van Susteren was a friend of Sharon Bychowski’s. “They put a microphone on you, so you could be on the show?” “Later.” “She asked you to appear on the show?” “Later on, yeah.” The witness then identifies a copy of Kathleen Savio’s death certificate. “On this certificate, above your name . . .” Objection/Overruled. “It says the informant is Anna Marie Doman?” “Yes.” “And it says the cause of death is drowning, and it was an accident?” “That’s what the document says.” Objection/Overruled (Judge: “The document speaks for itself.”). The witness then states, “The document speaks for itself,” which prompts laughter in the courtroom, but obviously displeases Judge Burmila, who sharply warns Doman, “Ma’am, don’t mock the Court again!” Doman: “Oh, I’m sorry.”

Ouch.

So, it's ok to say that the defendant has a nice tie on though?

In Session Lopez begins his part of this proffer. The witness concedes that she had not seen her nephews for some time, and had not sent birthday cards. “You didn’t make a complaint that no one would listen to her, did you?” “No. I didn’t think it would do any good.” “So the only reason you came forward was because you heard that Stacy had been missing, or had walked away from her house?” “I went there [to Sharon Bychowski’s house] to support my nephews. I didn’t go with any other intent.”

B/U by me: If the jurors aren't allowed to speculate about what happened to Stacy, why is the defense lawyer saying this?????

Guess Doman didn't approve of the Judges comments to her earlier...

In Session The witness repeats that she originally thought Greta Van Susteren was a friend of Sharon Bychowski’s. “They put a microphone on you, so you could be on the show?” “Later.” “She asked you to appear on the show?” “Later on, yeah.” The witness then identifies a copy of Kathleen Savio’s death certificate. “On this certificate, above your name . . .” Objection/Overruled. “It says the informant is Anna Marie Doman?” “Yes.” “And it says the cause of death is drowning, and it was an accident?” “That’s what the document says.” Objection/Overruled (Judge: “The document speaks for itself.”). The witness then states, “The document speaks for itself,” which prompts laughter in the courtroom, but obviously displeases Judge Burmila, who sharply warns Doman, “Ma’am, don’t mock the Court again!” Doman: “Oh, I’m sorry.”

What an *advertiser censored* this judge is. He's in bed with the defense, imo. Coddling the defense and insulting the victims family. He should just run up, hop into Drew's lap, kiss and hug him and say I'm gonna do my best to make this better. :furious:

That said, I am off to do stuff for school registration and enjoy the beautiful day. Something Drew can't do, at least today. :sigh:

What an *advertiser censored* this judge is. He's in bed with the defense, imo. Coddling the defense and insulting the victims family. He should just run up, hop into Drew's lap, kiss and hug him and say I'm gonna do my best to make this better. :furious:

That said, I am off to do stuff for school registration and enjoy the beautiful day. Something Drew can't do, at least today. :sigh:

Yeah I've been getting that feeling also. Seem that the judge is still holding some grudges from his time against Glasgow :shrug:

Enjoy the day. It is very nice out in the Chicago area, no doubt.

The Judge said that about not looking to the State for guidance?
Oh my, I thought it was the Defense Attorney who said that. Guess I'd better take a few minutes to figure out who's who.
Thanks for pointing this out.

According to the article posted from the Chicago Tribune, Judge Burmila said it. I think it's disgusting and he is showing a clear disdain for the prosecutors. He should recuse himself as he is obviously sympathetic to DP.

I was listening to Beth Karas on InSession earlier. She seemed upset with the judge when he said that because she didn't mention in the proffer that one reason she went public about Kathleen's death was because Stacy went missing. (Lopez "The Shark" brought it up in re-cross.) Apparently, Anna was afraid to say it, even though the jury wasn't present.

Beth said the judge punished her for following the rules.

Ouch.

So, it's ok to say that the defendant has a nice tie on though?

I thought that was really weird when the locksmith made that comment in court yesterday. Where do these people think they are
(including the defense at times) at a party? Whatever happened to professionalism?

Hi ws'ers! I am not following this case (hey, you can't follow them all) but I am doing research on people who follow cases, juries, and media coverage. Just a yes or no will suffice unless you feel like elaborating:

If you have followed this case from the beginning and feel that you have read everything and are well informed.... Have you learned anything new in the first week of trial?

Tia!

Yeah I've been getting that feeling also. Seem that the judge is still holding some grudges from his time against Glasgow :shrug:

I was just reading about how Glasgow defeated him for Will County SA in 1992 then Burmila went into private practice as a defense atty before becoming a judge in 2003. Certainly seems he has some sour grapes. Not just losing to Glasgow but I bet they went head to head when he was a defense attorney. Someone ought to send a note to the bench:"Excuse me your honor, your bias is showing."

[snipped by me]
We were all sitting there, and then the purse was there. He went in the purse, and there was a $100 bill, and he took it out and said, ‘This belongs to the kids.’ And he put it in his pocket.”
[snipped]

Everyone is changing the wording on this to "this is for the boys". imo 'belongs to' and 'is for' have different meanings.

Before he ecame jue was he a defence lawer?

He was the state attorney for Will County from 1988-1992 when he lost the election to Glasgow. Then he was in private practice as a defense attorney until he became a judge in 2003. I'll find a link for you.

ETA: here is the link. Criminal defense atty for 11 years, before being appointed to the Bench so unfortunately doesn't have to worry about re-election!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-31/news/ct-met-drew-peterson-forensics-bios-0731-20120731_1_drew-peterson-joliet-courthouse-business-and-bankruptcy-law

Interesting. Very interesting...

[ame="http://www.crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7693"]JOEL BRODSKY- Police calls, suspension of law license uncovered - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums[/ame]

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that she thought GVS was just a friend....weren't there other people in the crew? Cameras? Etc.?

Maybe not at that time, yet. Sometimes GVS will go to someone and ask about being able to film and interview them, but at that time she will just look like a regular visitor. No cameras would be there yet.

Busy today but finally caught up! I appreciate all the great updates.

I just do not know what to think about this judge anymore. If we posters see the judge's blatant prejudice toward the state, then I would think it would be safe to think that at least a couple of jurors see it also. I am deeply, deeply disappointed that this judge seems so unprofessional. How dare he assume Kathleen's sister was looking at the state for guidance when answering a question. Another poster stated that she may have looked over and paused to see if there was an objection. That sounds plausible to me.

All Ms. Doman wants is justice for her sister. Let the defense bang away at the family and be rude to them. It just shows how low these defense lawyer's are, IMO!

Oh, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member