GUILTY PA - Tom, 51, Lisa, 47, & Kevin Haines, 16, murdered, Manheim Twp, 12 May 2007

PSUfan

Reaction score
Police search for killer of Manheim Twp. family
Residents advised to lock doors, turn on lights

Published: May 14, 2007 1:12 AM EST
LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. -
Manheim Township police Sunday were looking for a killer or killers.

Sgt. Jeff Jones said police had confirmed that Tom and Lisa Haines and their 16-year-old son, Kevin, all were slain inside their home at 85 Peach Lane early Saturday.

"We are confirming this is a murder all the way through — three murders," Jones said. "This is not a murder-suicide.

"The person — or persons — responsible for these murders is on the loose."

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/204195

If you read the full article, the police are not saying how the family was killed. They are not saying if the surviving daughter is, or is not considered as a suspect. They have a large police presence at local schools today.

The police are so busy saying nothing! It is very frustrating. This happened in a cozy, quiet neighborhood. For those keeping tabs, this is close to the KaraBorden/DavidLudwig killing, and the mass murder of the family in Leola, and of course the recent NickelMines Amish school shootings.

So sad. I found a lot of sources with the story but no more information than what has already been posted. I hope that the daughter isn't involved.

So sad. I found a lot of sources with the story but no more information than what has already been posted. I hope that the daughter isn't involved.
That was my thought as well. Hopefully an arrest will be made before too long, and she is not involved.

Thanks for the link, PSUfan! I was born and raised in Lancaster County (moved to Michigan when I was 19), and I am familiar with Manheim and what a nice little town it is. Prayers for the family & friends of the victims.

Please keep us posted if you hear more news.

The police are telling people in the area to lock their doors and be very careful. I think if they thought it was the daughter, they'd have detained her and wouldn't be telling the public that they have reason to be afraid.

This is just awful. Prayers to their family and friends, and that the perp will be caught soon. Makes you wonder if it's business-related or perhaps debts unpaid.

The police are telling people in the area to lock their doors and be very careful. I think if they thought it was the daughter, they'd have detained her and wouldn't be telling the public that they have reason to be afraid.

This is just awful. Prayers to their family and friends, and that the perp will be caught soon. Makes you wonder if it's business-related or perhaps debts unpaid.

That is a good point Englishleigh. I wouldn't rule out a friend of the daughter's. Maybe an ex-boyfriend or a boyfriend that Mom & Dad didn't approve of? How many times have we seen that happen?

That is a good point Englishleigh. I wouldn't rule out a friend of the daughter's. Maybe an ex-boyfriend or a boyfriend that Mom & Dad didn't approve of? How many times have we seen that happen?

I definitely think it was personal against just this family, but then again, the police must not KNOW that for sure or they would be telling the public not to worry. A nutty ex-boyfriend of the daughter's is a good thought, though.

This story is really bothering me. I was going to post it if it wasn't here already.

From what I've read, it was a knife massacre, for one thing. Very unusual, and somehow a notch more chilling than a gun.

Why, though -- WHY is a 20-year-old female apparently untouched, and her mother, father, and teen brother dead? Did they know she was in the home? That occurred to me -- that the killer only expected the three members of the Haines family, didn't know she was there. If Margaret Haines has been living at college, that makes sense.

That'd also mean they weren't seeking an experienced, efficient killer. I'm afraid someone with experience in crime would have known to check the whole house.

The other option might be Margaret's involvement, but at the moment there isn't enough to go on (that I've read) to suspect her. I can't imagine what the young woman is going through if she had no involvement -- she encountered the worst nightmare possible.

The police normally NEVER want to alarm others in the neighborhood, either. That's very worrisome.

Then again, I'm also worried because some people I care about a great, great deal are moving to this exact area this summer. I'd feel a smidge better if there's been an arrest made by the time they do.

Steve/Mr. A.

My friend in PA just emailed me about his. She lives less than a mile from where it happened.....

I am close to where this happened as well. The store I work for was scheduled to do some remodeling work for them in about a month.. a good sized deposit was received, work was scheduled. The deposit will need to be refunded, of course.

It is really freaking me out. I watched the news conference this afternoon. Nothing new at all.

In the latest news conference, they said that they have no reason to believe that the daughter was involved, but they are ruling nothing out. The daughter is "safe, and with relatives".

Another very recent, unsolved murder. In the press conference today, a reporter asked the detective if the rumors were true... that the neighbor to the recently murdered Diener, and the latest family, were very good friends. The detectives answer was that they had no reason to believe the 2 incidents are related.

So far, both are just baffling, and appear to be totally random.

See the previous murder here:

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203987

E-town murder still a mystery
Community on edge after shooting of 'perfect gentleman.'

By CINDY STAUFFER
Lancaster New Era
Published: May 09, 2007 2:03 PM EST
LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa - It's disturbing and it's mystifying, these two men who came out of the darkness, killed Ray Diener and then, seemingly, melted back into the darkness.

Police are still looking for the men, who shot Diener, a 65-year-old "perfect gentleman," multiple times a week ago outside his brick ranch home set in a pleasant slice of the West Donegal Township countryside.

Murder is unusual in this part of the county. This is only the second murder that the Northwest Regional Police Department has been faced with since its formation in 2003.

Why wouldn't the daughter just dial 911 from the home phone, or a cell phone? Odd. I hope they find the perp/perps very soon and no one else is harmed along the way.

From what was said on the news tonight the daughter heard her mother scream and she escaped the house and ran next door and called 911. It makes sense to me that she left the house to make the call instead of trying to call from home and getting caught by the killer/killers.

It was also said that there was no forced entry. It sounds like the killer was either known to someone in the family or the door or a window was unlocked.
I can't imagine the terror the daughter felt when she heard her mother scream. I'm glad that she escaped the home and ran to a neighbors to make the 911 call. She did what she should have done. Me, I probably would have been so scared I wouldn't have been able to move.

These family slaughters are happening so often. I hope the person/people responsible for this slaughter is caught soon. I would be terrified if I lived in that town.

Why wouldn't the daughter just dial 911 from the home phone, or a cell phone? Odd. I hope they find the perp/perps very soon and no one else is harmed along the way.

It was first thought the mother screamed, but she didn't. This from the last press conference.

http://www.wgal.com/news/13317694/detail.html
Harkins said Margaret was asleep in her bedroom on Saturday when she heard a noise and some type of scuffling sound. She got up and went to her mother's room. There, she saw her dad lying on the bed and her mother on the edge of the bed, Harkins said. The mother quietly told Margaret to get out and get help. Margaret left the house, went to a neighbor's and called 911.

It was first thought the mother screamed, but she didn't. This from the last press conference.

http://www.wgal.com/news/13317694/detail.html

I don't see how the daughter could get out without the intruder(s) seeing her.

For some reason, the link won't open for me.

PSU - you living in Lancaster Co now? I think we discussed this before. I'm from Lancaster Co, now living in Florida. Crime such as this is very rare in Lancaster, unless it is drug related.

I don't see how the daughter could get out without the intruder(s) seeing her.

For some reason, the link won't open for me.

PSU - you living in Lancaster Co now? I think we discussed this before. I'm from Lancaster Co, now living in Florida. Crime such as this is very rare in Lancaster, unless it is drug related.
I do live in Lancaster County. I have lived here all of my life, and my parents before me...and my grandparents, all the way back to the 1700s.

I don't understand how the daughter got out either. When she was told by her mother to get out and get help, she ran across the street to call 911. The police arrived within 5 minutes. By that time, all 3 were stabbed to death, and the suspect/s were nowhere to be found.

The timeline is not set in stone yet. In the news conference, they did not say if the daughter ran across the street immediately, or if she did not.

The article about the news conference can be found at www.wgal.com I don't know why my link didn't work.

I do live in Lancaster County. I have lived here all of my life, and my parents before me...and my grandparents, all the way back to the 1700s.

I don't understand how the daughter got out either. When she was told by her mother to get out and get help, she ran across the street to call 911. The police arrived within 5 minutes. By that time, all 3 were stabbed to death, and the suspect/s were nowhere to be found.

The timeline is not set in stone yet. In the news conference, they did not say if the daughter ran across the street immediately, or if she did not.

The article about the news conference can be found at www.wgal.com I don't know why my link didn't work.

I pulled up WGAL and got it. Thanks. Anyway, doesn't make sense - did the mother whisper to her, yell to her or what - if the mother saw her, then the perps had to have seen/heard her - still doesn't make sense to me.

I pulled up WGAL and got it. Thanks. Anyway, doesn't make sense - did the mother whisper to her, yell to her or what - if the mother saw her, then the perps had to have seen/heard her - still doesn't make sense to me.
In the press conference yesterday, they said the mother told her quietly to get out and get help, so the mother mustve known that the perps were within earshot. They did not know if the father was alive at the time.

The police are questioning the sons friends, the parents coworkers, etc. They seem to be clueless.

Oh, the bloodhounds marked (I think that is the word), at the house, and also at a nearby convenience store. This is through the grapevine though. The press conference confirmed that they marked at the home, and a location nearby. Rumor has it that the location was a convenience store. So, obviously they are reviewing all of the Video from the convenience store.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back