Monkees star Davy Jones dies aged 66

aww, my moms crush! I thought he was the cute one myself.
Another one gone too soon. Peace Davy.:rose:

Figures no major news channel has even mentioned his passing . But with Whitney we had coverage till I think we got sick to our stomach.

The Monkees have not been voted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nor, according to a couple articles I just read, ever been given close consideration for that honor. (Goes back to the ol' "those boys weren't playing their own instruments till thus-and-such a time" argument.) Should the Monkees be voted into the R & R Hall? What sayest thou, WS?

I'd vote yes, they should be, btw.

So sad. I now officially feel old. Though I never had a crush on Davy he was always my favorite. (Speed Racer, Donny Osmond and then Shaun Cassidy were my crushes) Loved watching the show as a kid, and who could forget the Brady Bunch episode he appeared in.

Sleep peacefully Davy. :rose:

RBBM Oh Cubby! Mine were Johnny Quest, Shaun Cassidy and Davy Jones. (Kind of heartening to learn I was not the only prepubescent girl with a crush on a cartoon character!)

I am strangely shaken up by this news. DH is baffled and giving me a wide berth as I play Monkees songs over and over, bless his heart.

TMZ has it:

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/

RIP Davy - you will be missed!

So sad, I feel so old now. I was gonna marry him back in the day.
Ahem.....................

I repeat: BBM

So iffen all yuze girlfriends just wanna keep talkin' - go 'head.

HE'S MINE!!!!!

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

But seriously, I've sat here all afternoon watching youtube videos of them. Crying on and off - so sad.

OMG OMG OMG - do you all remember we would take the mirror into the closet and try to "summon" him up? :floorlaugh:

And those Tiger Beat and 16 magazines. Wow. What a great time that was.

My favoritest song from him(them) was "Gonna buy me a dog".

Davy, you made so many people happy. You were always upbeat, smiling and lovin' life. You will be missed greatly but I know you're smiling down on all of us now. RIP

You know I got home from work and YouTube many songs. Who said they had no talent listening to yea your right old owl I am going to buy buy me a Dog an hearing a laugh is a kick. Od Davey and I want I want to be Free. Well he is now

OMG OMG OMG - do you all remember we would take the mirror into the closet and try to "summon" him up? :floorlaugh:

Davy, you made so many people happy. You were always upbeat, smiling and lovin' life. You will be missed greatly but I know you're smiling down on all of us now. RIP

Respectful snip, WOO--OMG you just put me in the Wayback Machine with the mirror in the closet thing! Had totally forgotten that little piece of my youth.

A toast to Mr. Jones!

Ahem.....................

I repeat: BBM

So iffen all yuze girlfriends just wanna keep talkin' - go 'head.

HE'S MINE!!!!!

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

But seriously, I've sat here all afternoon watching youtube videos of them. Crying on and off - so sad.

Oh, man, do I! My bedroom walls were plastered with Monkee photos ftom those mags. Mostly Davy.

My favorite song was "I Want to Be Free".

I wanna hold your hand, walk along the sand.
Laughing in the sun, always having fun.
Doing all those things without any strings to tie me down.

Awww...this really makes me sad. :( Rest in Peace, Davy. :rose:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxvrtyDnLT0"]monkees i want to be free - YouTube[/ame]

Ok - I got one for all y'all -

Found this this afternoon and, at first, I didn't realize who "he" was - just that he looked familiar. Well, remember Bobby Sherman? OMG - welp, yep its him. And, the shots of Bobby in the theatre - oh my Lord, he's so made up, he looks like a Ken doll. I laughed and laughed and watched this about 3 times.

Have fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGbqO6FzZI"]The Monkees - A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You - YouTube[/ame]

Bobby is just downright creepy in that video, WOO. LOL

Not a Davy song, but perhaps the oddest and certainly one of the best songs the Monkees ever recorded; from the 'Head' OST album, "Porpoise Song," written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PWG3sfgdE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL50A3C4562CC834CA"]The Monkees - Porpoise Song (Best Quality) - YouTube[/ame]

The irony of it all which I had forgot till I was reading today. When the Beatles appeared the 1st time on th Ed Sullivan show. Davy was also there waiting to go on stage to preform with the London group doing Oliver.

My daughter called me in tears to tell me the news. She used to drag me to his shows. She went to see him last year in Florida and is happy she made the trip.

We've seen Davy several times, alone, and with the Monkees, as well as with Peter Noone and Bobby Sherman. I'm always in awe of these "old men" who have much more energy than I, and they are older - not by much, but still older.

They put on great shows, always. I can't remember exactly the last time I saw Davy in concert but it wasn't very long ago. I have a picture of the two of us together. He looking good, I looking not so good. :what:

While his death is a great shock, I'm glad he didn't suffer, and that he went quickly. I've seen far too many people linger.

Rest in peace, Davy. Thanks for the memories, the laughs, and the music. :blowkiss:

Clearly everyone...absolutely everyone...loved Davy the most. Because I wanted to be different I told everyone that I like Peter Tork the best. :liar: (I kept trying to convince myself, and possibly came close.)

All I can say is that yeah, I'm a believer and I'm taking the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you at the station.

:rocker:

The irony of it all which I had forgot till I was reading today. When the Beatles appeared the 1st time on th Ed Sullivan show. Davy was also there waiting to go on stage to preform with the London group doing Oliver.

Yes, that is true. Thanks for triggering my memory.

Clearly everyone...absolutely everyone...loved Davy the most. Because I wanted to be different I told everyone that I like Peter Tork the best. :liar: (I kept trying to convince myself, and possibly came close.)

All I can say is that yeah, I'm a believer and I'm taking the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you at the station.

:rocker:

I know someone who loves, loves, loves Peter - still.

I always liked Mike. :wink:

As for the Beatles, everyone went wild over Paul, so I chose George.

Oh no, this is so sad!!! He was much too young!!!

I hope David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman are taking care of themselves right now! :(

Oh my goodness, I guess this means I am old! As a kid my walls were covered with Davy Jones and Bobby Sherman. A couple of years later, I added David Cassidy. This is so sad. Does 16 magazine still exist?

I suppose Mike Nesmith should be my favorite Monkee - he made me money, once upon a time! As one would guess, the Monkees still have quite the cult following, hardcore-fans-wise, and thus Monkees memorabilia - the rarer the better - can run into the $$$. Okay, long story short, was thrift shopping one day and found what I recognized as an early Nesmith 45 r.p.m. record, pre-Monkees, and duly paid fifty cents to purchase same.

It was credited to "Mike & John & Bill," a bit confusing, and was on Colpix - a rather obscure label for releasing Columbia Pictures-related singles. But since I knew that Nesmith's mom had lived in San Antonio (where I found the record), and Columbia was in part responsible for creating the TV show, I played my hunch. And the record wound up selling for just under a thousand, to a hardcore Japanese Monkees collector, on eBay soon afterward!

But, if I had to choose, I'd still pick Davy Jones as my favorite Monkee. R.I.P., David Thomas Jones (30 December 1945 – 29 February 2012).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back