NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reports i saw indicated he was there the entire time today for the house search and he left out the back door with an unidentified person while LE left out the front door. Unless said unidentified person was from LE ..... they would NOT have let him do that if they were concerned about his involvement IMO.

I disagree...but that's ok. This place would be boring if we were all the same.

Im learning so much here thanks for being patient with me .
If its a blood hound does that mean it couldnt be trained to be a cadaver dog? Are certain breeds of dogs trained for certain jobs? If so why?

If it is a bloodhound, it means just that, it's a bloodhound. The minute we start trying to second guess things based on looks (or breed in this case), is the minute we are going to start getting things wrong.

There are no hard and fast rules as to what breed can do what, and by putting things in boxes like that many a trainer or handler have missed out on a lot of great dogs. It is true that there is a large group, largely in the south that some of us refer to as the "good ole boys" that believe that a bloodhound is the only way to go (largely when talking about trailing/specific scent work). This is a very narrow minded way of thinking and very incorrect.

There are bigger issues, like a small dog with short legs is not going to be able to run a trail that is on hot pavement or for great lengths. A dog that has no drive to find anything (a ball, a toy, a squirrel, pick your poison) is not going to have the drive and desire to search for much of anything. KWIM? SAR is much more open than police K9 work. Obviously there are more limits with cop dogs because a cocker spaniel is not going to be very good at taking a criminal down no matter how tough said cocker is!

Those being abused don't leave for many reasons. For one, they may genuinely love the abuser. The abuser isn't abusive all the time, and when they aren't, they can be very captivating and charming. They also can frighten the person being abused into not leaving, by threatening them with all sorts of hell.
I don't know what was going on with dad. I am not sure, I'm no expert, but I have worked with those who were severely abused by spouses... including men.

I'm also going to say something that I hope won't offend anyone here, but I have had a few Australian male clients of the working class. Many are meat and potatoes and beer guys who may love their kids, but work alot, go to the pub, spend an occasional weekend with the wife and kids, and live in a 'man's world'. I don't know if that was the case here, but it sure sounds as though he was distanced from the child. He may have figured he was married to this ' Sheila', it was up to her to take care the child.

Also, men escape abuse many times by working extra hours, and absenting them as much as they can for 'legit' reasons, such as work. He probably also didn't 'see' too much into the relationship between his wife and daughter.

I was reading what some of you where saying in the last thread about her father possibly being abused and stuck here in the states.

My feelings are that he was working a job. He was the one making money. He claims he worked so much that he hardly saw his daughter. He could have taken Z and moved into another apartment far away from the abuser. There should be no problem supporting just himself and his daughter. I do not believe he was stuck with EB.

"A woman posted in Australia posted [sic] on her Facebook page Tuesday that she was good friends with Zahra's mother, Emily, and that Emily had been searching for Zahra for 5 years. The post went on that Emily found out last week Zahra's father was remarried and living in North Carolina. It also indicated they learned Monday Zahra was missing in NC."

scroll down just a bit
http://charlotte.news14.com/content/zahra_baker_case/zahra_baker_questions/

Aww this is so sad. Why was it again that her mother gave her up?

If it is a bloodhound, it means just that, it's a bloodhound. The minute we start trying to second guess things based on looks (or breed in this case), is the minute we are going to start getting things wrong.

There are no hard and fast rules as to what breed can do what, and by putting things in boxes like that many a trainer or handler have missed out on a lot of great dogs. It is true that there is a large group, largely in the south that some of us refer to as the "good ole boys" that believe that a bloodhound is the only way to go (largely when talking about trailing/specific scent work). This is a very narrow minded way of thinking and very incorrect.

There are bigger issues, like a small dog with short legs is not going to be able to run a trail that is on hot pavement or for great lengths. A dog that has no drive to find anything (a ball, a toy, a squirrel, pick your poison) is not going to have the drive and desire to search for much of anything. KWIM? SAR is much more open than police K9 work. Obviously there are more limits with cop dogs because a cocker spaniel is not going to be very good at taking a criminal down no matter how tough said cocker is!

I totally agree with everything you said. The question was posed if there are breeds that are COMMONLY used and that's what I was responding to. Of course there are many other breeds that are both capable and do perform all sorts of work. And in this case if it were a coonhound / bloodhound on the site and the media is reporting there are cadaver dogs I don't think it's a huge jump to guess that's what that dog is sniffing.

HOWEVER, in the other photos & videos posted it does look like a rott. Who very well could ALSO being a cadaver dog :D

I always thought LE made it a point to keep people away from their searches..

I thought they did that because when the trial comes up, the DNA if often used...
If he is charged, his lawyer could say "well, he was there when they found her body, of course his DNA was there...
Personally, I don't get it.. kwim..??

Faherty was able to speak with Baker on camera Friday afternoon. "I appreciate everyone, everyone doing what they're doing. I just hope they just keep looking. Try to find my baby," Baker said.

Faherty asked "What do you think happened to Zahra?" .

"I don't know," Baker said.

Faherty also asked "Do you think your wife might have had some involvement?"

"I don't know," Baker said.

Faherty said Baker’s main point was to thank everybody who has helped in the search.

Faherty said after the search, Adam Baker left out a back door walking quickly to a car where he didn't answer any questions but did comment "Everyone knows more than I do. you know."

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25402667/detail.html

Well on the dog situation let me give ya my 2cents....mini Schnauzers and Great Danes need not apply. The only thing mine will sniff out is potato chips.

I can find no direct quotations from Zahra's mother; neither has she appeared on camera. The "searching for five years" info was off of a Facebook page of someone purporting to be "a friend." All other information is also second-hand.

This statement: Zahra's mother spoke out that she has been searching for her for five years, and that she just found out last week her ex-husband was remarried and in North Carolina.

Was published in this new media article here: http://charlotte.news14.com/content...issing-girl-turns-into-homicide-investigation

Well on the dog situation let me give ya my 2cents....mini Schnauzers and Great Danes need not apply. The only thing mine will sniff out is potato chips.

LOL, well as long as you get lost with a bag of potato chips you'll be just fine~!

LOL !! I had a lab who is about as useless at sniffing as I am. However, I have another lab who can sniff out a crumb under the couch that's been there for a year. His nose is so sensitive that it drives me insane.

"A woman posted in Australia posted [sic] on her Facebook page Tuesday that she was good friends with Zahra's mother, Emily, and that Emily had been searching for Zahra for 5 years. The post went on that Emily found out last week Zahra's father was remarried and living in North Carolina. It also indicated they learned Monday Zahra was missing in NC."

scroll down just a bit

:banghead::banghead: So this information written in the charlotte news is from a FRIGGIN Facebook post, of which, anyone can post anything they want to post! :furious:

I was reading what some of you where saying in the last thread about her father possibly being abused and stuck here in the states.

My feelings are that he was working a job. He was the one making money. He claims he worked so much that he hardly saw his daughter. He could have taken Z and moved into another apartment far away from the abuser. There should be no problem supporting just himself and his daughter. I do not believe he was stuck with EB.

He committed crimes as well but because he was cooperating police have not arrested him. He reportedly ran a woman and child off the road too. And he made the horrific choice to pull Z away from her health care and family so he could be with some woman.

The father is a selfish man who did not consider his daughter in his choices nor did he do a darn thing to protect his daughter from that beast. I want his behind planted in a jail cell right along with her. He was a grown man who had a duty to care for his child and he failed in the worst way possible.

Outstanding post - thanks

scroll down just a bit

Thanks. Very interesting to know that they included information in a regular article as if they had a reliable source for it, not bothering to mention that they actually got it from a completely unverified Facebook posting by someone claiming to be a friend of the mother. I'll keep that in mind whenever reading any future articles in the Charlotte Observer!

Even more interesting is what preceded the segment you posted: "Zahra's mother is still in Australia where the little girl was born. Some stories are circulating that Zahra hasn't seen her mother since she was 8 months old. In May, when we interviewed Zahra, she mentioned her mother in Australia as if she'd seen her more recently than that."

Certainly doesn't prove anything, since a little girl whose mother had not been a major part of her life and was now half a world away, might well want to create the impression that she actually had a real mother who cared about her (especially when pseudo-mother EB was there hovering over her at the event where I assume this interview took place -- the free hearing aid event). We know Zahra also told someone (was at this same event?) that her missing leg had been bitten off by a crocodile. But still interesting to learn that she gave someone this impression about her contact with her mother.

I still find it improbable that her mother had any significant contact with post-infancy Zahra, though. There's just a glaring lack of evidence of it, and even though the mother is apparently allive and well enough to talk to a LEO over the phone, she's maintained a bizarrely low profile. I can certainly see not wanting to jump in front of media cameras, but Australian authorities would certainly be happy to act as an intermediary for her in releasing a brief prepared statement to the media, e.g. thanking police and searchers for their efforts and asking the media to respect her privacy at this difficult time.

I always thought LE made it a point to keep people away from their searches..

I thought they did that because when the trial comes up, the DNA if often used...
If he is charged, his lawyer could say "well, he was there when they found her body, of course his DNA was there...
Personally, I don't get it.. kwim..??

The home has been searched and I imagine they know Zahra's body is not going to be found there. I think his DNA would be all over their home anyway so having him there now wouldn't matter in that respect. If his DNA is found on Zahra's body it doesn't mean a lot either because they lived together unless it is found in places that should be free of any contaminated DNA. Also, his DNA could have been found on that wood chipper site for a variety of innocent reasons because he has worked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member