Steven Powell was involved in disappearance

They could probably offer him "use immunity" to get information. Gitana could probably explain what use immunity better than I can. I just know it's not full immunity.

If he does talk, he's going to lay it all on Josh, after all, dead men tell no tales.

(I removed the colour in the text because it made it difficult to read with my impaired eyesight)

As I understand it (not being a lawyer), full immunity means that the prosecutor agrees not to prosecute for the crime(s) that the witness testifies to.

Use immunity means that the prosecutor agrees not to include the witness's testimony and any evidence derived from that testimony in any possible prosecution but can use any evidence that was discovered independently of the witness's testimony.

Sometimes it's a difference that makes no difference because LE cannot find any evidence that is independent of the witness's testimony.

Other times, it is a huge difference because LE had or was able to get enough evidence to convict without the witness's testimony.

"It was a very controlled relationship. Steven controlled Josh, so if he was in trouble, he would have known what was going on, or even worse, been controlling what he did."

Graves believes Steven Powell did not want Susan involved in the raising of his grandchildren.
"She was a threat for his control over the family. She was too strong to have around," he said.
Steven Powell filed court papers last week saying he will not cooperate with investigations being conducted by law enforcement agencies into the case.

I seriously believe this, SP degraded Susan's image sexually after her disappearance, and I believe that this was to maximize just how much she was degraded- to kick her while she was down.

Just an example of a possibility:

It could be all about SP maintaining control over how he wanted to conduct his life. Because, don't you know, it's all about him.

Think about this: SP playing JP and Susan against each other. This results in the death of Susan. Then, in order to try and maintain control over Josh, perhaps SP helps him dispose of evidence. In a desperate measure to gain control back, JP kills himself and his children.

I'm not gitana or a lawyer, but I think "full immunity" means they can't prosecute you on any matter about which they ask you; "use immunity" means they can still prosecute, but they can't use anything you say against you.

Exactly Nova. I just couldn't put it into words. My brain isn't functionally all that well! LOL, of course you already know that!

Thanks Grainne. What would I do without you?? :)

You actually answered, what I meant was how long has he been in jail. 5 months
taken from the about post.

Thanks
Goz

And at this point his trial is still scheduled for March 20, 2012.
03/20/2012 08:30 AM

SP is still named as a defendant in a Superior court Civil case in Pierce County, along with JP and his brother and sister. This is set for a jury trial in 8/2012

Pierce County Superior Court Civil Case 11-2-13049-1

https://linxonline.co.pierce.wa.us/linxweb/Main.cfm

Jury trial set for 3/20/12 confirmation:

POWELL, STEVEN CRAIG
11-1-03893-1 Trial Date: 03/20/12 08:30 AM Pros: GRANT E. BLINN
VOYEURISM (14)
PDMESEC II
08:30 AM JURY TRIAL
Def: MARK T. QUIGLEY

...If SP implicates he knows where she is, then LE has all the ammo they need to charge him. Catch 22 for him.

Sorry to quibble, but there are ways for SP (though his lawyer) to tell LE he can locate the body without that info being used against him. In fact, "off the record" discussions between defense counsel and the DA are quite common during plea bargain negotiations.

Some of us will remember how David Westerfied's lawyer tried to negotiate a reduced sentence in return for revealing the victim's body, negotiations that fell through when the body was accidentally discovered by someone else. That Westerfield had offered the info as a bargaining ploy couldn't be used against him at trial. And in fact it was only after conviction that the prosecution told the public that the killer had claimed to know the location of the body.

I came to WS to post the same article MsF. I could see this coming - how about any of you? I was going to post it on the thread entitled Steven Powell arrested, but that thread is closed.

:shakehead: I am really not surprised by this defense. Disgusted, but not surprised. P.S. I cannot stand to see his image in these articles either. I just want to :puke: when I see him.

What were the warrants for?
Makes me sick . . . caught with evidence of voyeurism, charged with it, and he's mad because he feel's his rights were violated? No thought of the two little neighbor girls he took pictures of through their bathroom window!

Hmmmmm. . . . . . . I need to breathe deeply and step off to my 'happy place' . . . .

According to the motion, the search warrant allowed for the seizure of seven journals that belonged to Susan Powell, any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals, "any other fruits or instrumentalities determined to be evidence of kidnapping, homicide and obstruction of justice," and forensic evidence such as blood, hair, fingerprints and fibers.

The affidavit states that a search warrant for the journals was necessary. "Due to the fact these journals are evidence and could provide further intelligence and or investigative leads, these journals must be recovered. With the lack of cooperation and criminally obstructive behavior from Steven and Joshua Powell refusing to provide the journals to law enforcement in November 2010, a search warrant must be executed to recover this evidence."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=194...e-was-illegal-defense-argues&s_cid=featured-1

I came to WS to post the same article MsF. I could see this coming - how about any of you? I was going to post it on the thread entitled Steven Powell arrested, but that thread is closed.

:shakehead: I am really not surprised by this defense. Disgusted, but not surprised. P.S. I cannot stand to see his image in these articles either. I just want to :puke: when I see him.

I am always amazed when I am the first to post anything! :seeya:

I figured this was the most relevant thread, however if a mod wants to make a thread specifically for this trial which is hopefully coming up on March 20th... and the pre trial stuff... I would not object at all to today's posts about this motion being moved over there. :seeya:

Motion to suppress evidence collected in the search.... in other words... all the evidence.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=194...e-was-illegal-defense-argues&s_cid=featured-1

Attorneys for Steven Powell are asking a judge to throw out the images seized from his home that are the basis for voyeurism charges against him, claiming the evidence was collected illegally.

I hope the judge denies this request. That Powell family has gotten away with murder already. Enough is enough!

I hope the judge denies this request. That Powell family has gotten away with murder already. Enough is enough!

How do you figure that the Powell family has got away with murder? Josh Powell, yes, he murdered his sons, but I do not see how you think the Powell family had any part of the murder. I doubt Jennifer Powell Graves had anything to do with the murders of her nephews. Why don't we focus on Josh Powell...not the entire "Powell family".

How do you figure that the Powell family has got away with murder? Josh Powell, yes, he murdered his sons, but I do not see how you think the Powell family had any part of the murder. I doubt Jennifer Powell Graves had anything to do with the murders of her nephews. Why don't we focus on Josh Powell...not the entire "Powell family".

Those outside the family home are innocents, I am sure.........
not so sure about those that lived in the compound of SP.
Living in the house I am sure one would know all the 'secrets'.
Knowing and not telling is guilt by association in my book.

According to the motion, the search warrant allowed for the seizure of seven journals that belonged to Susan Powell, any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals, "any other fruits or instrumentalities determined to be evidence of kidnapping, homicide and obstruction of justice," and forensic evidence such as blood, hair, fingerprints and fibers.

The affidavit states that a search warrant for the journals was necessary. "Due to the fact these journals are evidence and could provide further intelligence and or investigative leads, these journals must be recovered. With the lack of cooperation and criminally obstructive behavior from Steven and Joshua Powell refusing to provide the journals to law enforcement in November 2010, a search warrant must be executed to recover this evidence."

I am always amazed when I am the first to post anything! :seeya:

I figured this was the most relevant thread, however if a mod wants to make a thread specifically for this trial which is hopefully coming up on March 20th... and the pre trial stuff... I would not object at all to today's posts about this motion being moved over there. :seeya:

Doesn't the part about "any type of digital or electronic device that could store copies of her journals" apply to the computers? If so then I fail to see how his lawyers have a leg to stand on when it comes to having the evidence thrown out. They searched for journal images on the computers (per the warrents) and instead found unspeakable images. Sucks for SP but perhaps he should have thought ahead of time when he was threatening to release those journal entries to the public.

MOO

Many people here, myself included, feel sure that Josh is responsible for Susan's disappearance (and no doubt death) and also feel quite sure that his father has very specific knowledge as to how it was done, and where her body is at this time. Josh will never be brought to justice for Susan. I do hope Steven will eventually be brought to justice for whatever part he played in Susan's disappearance. I do not think Jennifer has anything to do with this beyond trying to get her father and brother to do the right thing. I am unsure at this time what role Josh's other siblings may have played.

What were the warrants for?
Makes me sick . . . caught with evidence of voyeurism, charged with it, and he's mad because he feel's his rights were violated? . . . .

He doesn't believe that and neither does his attorney, but this is a standard objection all attorneys raise to materials seized in a search.

Facts are facts. In the age of scanning technology, the journals could easily have been scanned into a computer so that if the journals themselves were seized, SP could keep a copy and release it. With his and JP's love of cyberspace, I'm sure they have copies of all sorts of things on thumb drives, hard drives, and all over the place. Hopefully, the judge will put this standard bleating of these poor sheep where it belongs - in the circular file.

Sorry, I worded that wrongly. I was thinking of just the father and son relationship of SP and JP so the word "family" came out. Sorry about that.

I saw this examiner article by Isabelle. Haven't check on it but SP's trial has been postponed per the article. Sorry if it's a repeat. Doesn't bother me any if it is delayed.

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...yeurism-*advertiser censored*-trial-postponed

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back