Severe weather April 13 & 14 2012 in Tornado Alley

Gitana, I watched the looting. I remember it clearly. One of the main reasons I got out of that neighborhood. Maybe it was just the neighborhood, but it happened around the corner from me.

Best-
Herding Cats

http://detroit.justweather.com/severe/

Nine counties in southeastern lower Michigan have high wind advisories. I received this email alert from WDIV moments ago:

Weather Alert for Oakland County, MI
----------------------------------------------------------------
---- Oakland ----

! Wind Advisory !
Issued at: 11:45 am EDT on April 16, 2012, expires at: 8:00 PM EDT on April
16, 2012
...Wind Advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Hazardous weather...
* southwest winds will be sustained at 25 to 35 mph with gusts up
to 50 mph.
Impacts...
* downed tree limbs can be expected.
* Some power outages will also be possible across the area.
* Loose objects such as trash cans will be blown around.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
* a Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 30 mph or gusts
of 45 mph are expected. Winds this strong can make driving
difficult...especially for high profile vehicles. Use extra
caution.

Hi Bette! Yuppers... the winds are b l o w i n g today! Cannot wait to hear how much fun nurse son has at his track practice after school! (if the wind is behind him he might set a new record :)

Yes, I did. And laughed. Poor guys - they worked so hard yesterday, and did a seriously good job...the SWAT guys had a rougher day, but they made it through too. Just glad all ended up safe.

Just so amazed at what the storm chasers do...just so amazed.

Best-
Herding Cats

And I thought it was hard being married to a soldier all those years!
Since my husband is retired now and likes storms so much, maybe I should make a suggestion - lol!

You slept throught it!!! LOL I wish I could sleep that good. Glad to hear that you are ok and that neighborhood damage was minimal.

The tornado sirens never went off and neither did our NOAA weather radio. I stayed awake as long as I could, but fell asleep about an hour before the tornado hit. I think it literally came out of nowhere. Crazy!

A Prom To Remember

The students of Trinity Academy High School in Wichita, Kansas got big surprise on prom night. It was a memorable evening, but not in the way they would've expected, as the biggest night of their high school years was interrupted by a tornado. When sirens began to sound, the event's 90 attendees evacuated their school gym and headed to a nearby tornado shelter.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/tornado-strikes-prom-at-k_n_1428403.html?ref=green&ir=Green

Thunder storms at night make me sleepy.

Glad you are okay.

Whatever happened to plain old rainy days? I used to love an occasional day like that - a gentle rainy day. Lightning scares me to death.

The tornado sirens never went off and neither did our NOAA weather radio. I stayed awake as long as I could, but fell asleep about an hour before the tornado hit. I think it literally came out of nowhere. Crazy!

The weather channel has an app where they will automatically call you if severe weather is happening where you are.

Weird you weather radio didn't go off.

The wind here today is something fierce. Not only is my yard full of huge limbs, I had to borrow my neighbor's driveway to park my truck because the tree over my drive is in pretty rough shape, and we can't get up there to trim it. I didn't want it to fall on my truck.

I've seen power lines down, luckily mine haven't gone yet. There have been a couple fires today, and of course they spread because of the wind. On my way to physical therapy this morning, a road sign blew over on the car in front of us and took out her windshield. It's nuts.

I'm still praying for everyone, those that were affected by the tornadoes, and those that have to deal with the wind like we have, since it is dangerous in it's own right, as well.

P.S. I feel bad for laughing, but the survivor stories from Kansas cracked me up. I'm glad to see that some people can still be positive and have a sense of humor even in the face of what has happened to them.

DTE: 52,000 customers without power in Metro Detroit

Energy company says sporadic power outages across southeastern Michigan

Published On: Apr 16 2012 03:55:58 PM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...oit/-/1719418/10931560/-/ods4hnz/-/index.html

I hope no one who posts from southeastern lower Michigan is without power. Cable went out briefly, but I can live without the TV :D

I sooo sympathize....our power just came back on after almost a full 24 hours off....Thank goodness for small pleasures, like a bathroom with lights!!! I now know that when I build my next house there will be at least one full bathroom with a WINDOW in it! Our neighbor across the lake from us has a fully automatic generator system that powers the whole house. I always thought it was pretty much unnecessary....until the last two days! After the tornado winds got quiet on Saturday night the first sound we heard was their generator running strong.

jmo

I sooo sympathize....our power just came back on after almost a full 24 hours off....Thank goodness for small pleasures, like a bathroom with lights!!! I now know that when I build my next house there will be at least one full bathroom with a WINDOW in it! Our neighbor across the lake from us has a fully automatic generator system that powers the whole house. I always thought it was pretty much unnecessary....until the last two days! After the tornado winds got quiet on Saturday night the first sound we heard was their generator running strong.

jmo

We were once in an ice storm and were without power for 32 days, so I can sympathize with you!

That storm was in 2000, I believe and after that we bought a generator that runs our whole house too.

Sending prayers for all affected in that area.

jmo

We have a gigantic flashlight that helps us find our way around the house in the dark. We keep batteries in a portable radio/cassette/CD player so it works without power, and our gas fireplace keeps the great room toasty. The hot water dispenser in the kitchen stores about a gallon of water and stays hot enough for tea for a few hours. It's no picnic, but we've survived lengthy power outages and are usually none the worse for wear :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back