GUILTY OH - Malakai Glenn, 18 mos, beaten to death, Cincinnati, 27 June 2007

Yes...she was FULLY potty trained at 13 months. She started walking a 8 months, and even at 13 months would say "pot". She wore no diapers or training pants. She liked the frilly panties. At 2 years old you would think you were talking to a 5 year old. She was a fast one...later was always a straight A student, and now is in her last year of medical school.

Ok, I can see it now. It would be an amazing thing to watch a child like that grow up from baby to adult. Raising a true genius or close to it. It would be a little scary but must be awesome too.:rolleyes: I should know by now also, to never say "never".

Some are ready at 18 mos, others not until they are 3. The child will let you know when they are ready. It can't be forced on them and it varies with each child. My niece was potty trained at 13 months. My sons not until 2, and 2 1/2.
That poor baby! Where do these monsters come from?
Wow. It is nearly impossible for babies to be physically able at 13 months to potty train. That is crazy! Isn't it amazing the variability in children? I have a son who is almost 13 months old... and he is mimicking right now, and I was just shocked. He says "duck" appropriately, I swore he said "thank you" today when I handed him his sippy cup... and he mimicks. I said "shucks" and he said it back and laughed. He figures out toys really quickly... all the buttons and gadgets on the baby toys. He pulled a screw driver out of my mom's purse the other day, turned over his toy car and started to try to pry it apart (not at the screws, but still). I walked in and he had it... my mom was like "oh, he's fine!" Whatever! I was shocked and surprised... before I grabbed it out of his hands. Didn't want him to jab himself in the face :doh: . Now, physically - he is walking right on target, crawling, clapping, ect. But the verbal skills seem to be a little earlier with him. For instance, he grabs the remote, turns to the TV and starts pushing the buttons. And he's been doing that for a while. That's a little early for that, in my opinion. They learn VERY quick! :eek: But usually their little bladders, nerves and muscles aren't developed enough to allow for control at such a young age! My daughter - I never ever pushed the potty training issue. She pretty much woke up one day and decided she wanted to stop wearing diapers.

Ok, I can see it now. It would be an amazing thing to watch a child like that grow up from baby to adult. Raising a true genius or close to it. It would be a little scary but must be awesome too.:rolleyes: I should know by now also, to never say "never".
i have an extended family member (cousin) who is a genius. he's an engineer in the military, but he is also a farmer. very nice guy. my mom was telling me about how when he was little bitty (under school age) and he was telling her about how electricity worked because he had just read about it in a library book, and it was going WAY over her head. but he understood it completely. he's still the exact same way.

We had a family friend growing up, who had a little boy who was gifted. They had him in the most advanced classes at school and he was still acing them. I remember when I was a teen, he was about 4 or maybe 5, he said to me "Did you know the earth was made from a semi-liquid form and the whole universe was made from the big bang". ???? Huh? His name was Adam, boy was he smart!!

Two of my grandsons were walking at 9 mos. old but sure weren't potty trained early. I remember my ex mother in law telling of how she spanked hers if they didn't potty and told her that she was not to ever spank my child over such a thing. It's ridiculous to get so concerned over potty training or even wetting the bed.

It's both amazing and frustrating - a blessing and a curse. Along with a child being gifted, commonly there is a myrad of emotional problems as well as other issues. It's like their mental age is that of a much older person, but their emotional age is often far less than their real age.

Unfortunately, giftedness doesn't come in a neat package like a real gift. It's just a term for them being able to do things better and faster IN SOME AREAS. Certainly not all areas.

Parents of gifted kids also need to be viligent about their education. Not because they want to push more on the kid, but because if you don't keep a gifted kid motivated and challenged, you can get a druggie or drop out on your hands pretty quickly. Many of the challenges a kid faces with a lower emotional age are the same things that drive other kids to drugs - not fitting in being the most obvious.

Every child needs unconditional love and support - and every child has their own unique sets of challenges and things the parent needs to be aware of and monitor to make everything work while you raise them.

Giftedness can be amazing - but no more amazing than watching a dyslexic child learn a new technique that helps him read, or a physcially handicapped child learn to use their fork better - any of the milestones for that child are just as amazing. :) (I know because I had six kids for 5 years to raise. Each had something going on with them - and each thrilled me when they did something new.) It's really not any different WHAT milestones they pass, riding a bike, or getting a Microsoft Certification, it's really the same.

:)

Potty-training toddler dies after severe beating
The Cincinnati Enquirer

CINCINNATI -- Seventeen-year-old Derris Smith was trying to toilet train his live-in girlfriend's 18-month-old son when he beat the child to death in their Fay Apartments home last week, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. Malakai Glenn was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center on Wednesday after suffering a severe beating that included injuries from being thrown against a wall, Deters said

Police say the toddler died Sunday.

"(Smith) expressed frustration over toilet training," Deters said. "It is not unusual that children are not ready at this age. What is unusual is that a child is beaten to death over it.".......

"Without question, if he was an adult we would be seeking the death penalty," Deters said
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770703009

How horrific. I just breaks my heart that a child should suffer so much.

OMG! Potty training takes a lot of patience which this guy clearly did not have. Shame on the mother for allowing this live-in boyfriend to be alone with her child.

From the article linked above:

The child's 20-year-old mother, who has not been identified, is under investigation, Deters said.

"I don't understand the need to have a man in your life so badly you are willing to place the safety of your own child at risk," Deters said. "(Smith) should not have been left alone with this child."

This is the same thing that happened a few months ago...I believe the bf was 18. WTH is wrong with these women who leave child rearing up to their boyfriends???????????? It would take a lot for me even to let someone take care of my dogs! The mother needs to be in jail too. Stories like this sicken me!!!

Eighteen months old. Damn.

My DS is 17 years old, same age as the boyfriend. He reads to his baby sister.

I just can't wrap my mind around this :(

This is the same thing that happened a few months ago...I believe the bf was 18. WTH is wrong with these women who leave child rearing up to their boyfriends???????????? It would take a lot for me even to let someone take care of my dogs! The mother needs to be in jail too. Stories like this sicken me!!!

And then to add that these boyfriends are in many cases barely of legal age? In this case the mom was 20 and her boyfriend 17. I see a few more problems here: why do these women insist on having another child raising their kids, and isn't a 20 yr. old with a 17 yr. old considered illegal (to say the least)?

Eh, guess it all boils down to WTH is WRONG with people????????

I think this is the same story, it is dated July 3.

I think this was already posted a few weeks ago. Still sad, an 18 month old boy most likely is not even ready to be potty trained. I hope this loser gets the death penalty.

Well in a way I'm glad it's an old story.... all we need is more of this happening... not. :(

OMG! Potty training takes a lot of patience which this guy clearly did not have. Shame on the mother for allowing this live-in boyfriend to be alone with her child.

From the article linked above:

The child's 20-year-old mother, who has not been identified, is under investigation, Deters said.

"I don't understand the need to have a man in your life so badly you are willing to place the safety of your own child at risk," Deters said. "(Smith) should not have been left alone with this child."

Doesn't it almost always seem as if this happens time and time again at the hands of a non-parent...

Yes, it does. Sad that children are put in that type of situation by their mothers.

Life on earth is too short a sentence. Suffering for eternity is what he deserves.

Boyfriend got life with possibility of parole in 31 years. Mom of course turned state's evidence and I don't think she will serve any time. That in itself is a shame, life without possibility of parole would be lenient for both of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back