Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please complain about Nancy Grace here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71889"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Let's stay on topic, please! This post is landing at random and is not about the post above.

MF said that the ME opined to him about the injuries. Did the CNN editor say where he got his info about the bat?
"Law enforcement confirms a murder weapon -- a baseball bat -- was found in Joran van der Sloot's hotel room along with the body of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez" - CNN

I'm just catching up, but I really think, between Joran being a tennis player, and the police saying that no weapon was initially found, that we are talking about a tennis racket. I can see a Spanish speaker pantomiming a two-handed tennis swing, and an English-speaker misinterpreting that.

There is a link (don't know which one right now, but I will find it) that has a story translated into English that said there was a tennis racket found in the room. I will go find the story.
ETA...link was in thread #2

Waited all that time for 20/20 and then it turns out to be non-informative. Wasn't that long. Didn't really give any details - just the basics. No mention of a bat and that picture I saw in the beginning never surfaced again.

I find it a bit distressing that I've had mental images all day of poor Stephany being beaten violently with a bat, the room filled with blood, an eye missing. Horrible, horrible images. And now it appears that's not even true. I know I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet, but still. Makes me mad.

MF said that the ME opined to him about the injuries. Did the CNN editor say where he got his info about the bat?
RUPA MIKKILINENI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: That`s right, Jean. Big news tonight. For the first time, Peruvian authorities have confirmed to us that the murder weapon is a baseball bat, a baseball bat found in the hotel room along with Flores`s body.

CASAREZ: Tell us more. Where was -- was the baseball bat near the body? Was it in the closet? Was it in one piece? Did it have blood all over it?

MIKKILINENI: Jean, we don`t know those details. All we`ve been able to confirm -- and as you know, all along we`ve been hearing reports from police and from various sources that they have a mountain of evidence against Joran Van Der Sloot, and now we`re hearing what some of that evidence is, and this is the murder weapon.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1006/04/ng.01.html

What is the next step for JVS?
How fast are trials and hearing in Peru?
Will Joe T. be his lawyer..........practise in Peru?
Or will JVS get a Peruvian lawyer?
This is going to be a very interesting case in Peru.

I read somewhere that he'll have to find his own lawyer and it won't be JT. I don't have any idea how quickly the trial will go though. With three judges deciding his fate, I'm envisioning almost the same thing as the tribunal at the Hague several years ago for the war crimes. IOW, it may take a while! MOO

1.2. Ordinary Procedure

This type of procedure is handled according to the Criminal Procedure Code promulgated in 1939, which entered into force in 1940. Article 1 establishes that the criminal procedure involves two stages: investigation and trial, to be realized in a single opportunity. The investigation stage lasts four months and may be extended 60 days. Once that period has ended, the provincial prosecutor must issue his or her final statement and the judge must issue final report within eight days if the defendant is in prison and within 20 days if he or she is not. The report is made available to the parties for three days and then brought to the Superior Criminal Chamber.

The superior prosecutor must issue the findings within eight days if the defendant is in prison and within 20 days if he or she is not.

Once it receives the statement containing the accusation, the Superior Criminal Chamber issues an order for the case to be tried or debated in public, noting the date and time of the hearing. After this, the sentence is issued and an appeal for annulment may be presented at the reading of the sentence or the following day. The Supreme Executory issued by the Supreme Criminal Chamber closes the process.

http://www.cejamericas.org/reporte/...pais=PERU&tipreport=REPORTE3&seccion=PPENAL07

He will have to sign a statement as soon as they have interviewed him in Lima, then they will go from there. Two weeks to get before a judge to see if bail will be set. Just normal procedures which i read about earlier today.

Based on the Peruvian jail documentary posted in the last thread, public defenders are swamped and some prisoners wait as long as 4 years or more to go to trial. However, since the media is converging upon Peru and Joran's prior notoriaty, I have a feeling he won't suffer as long in prison waiting for a public defender. Even Peru doesn't want his (JVSs) bad press. IMO.

On the Dateline show, they did say that her $5,000 winnings was missing.

But they also described Joran as being suspected of two "brutal" homicides - when there is no evidence that Natalee was brutally murdered. A lot of the reporting at the time theorized she may have died of an OD.

Waited all that time for 20/20 and then it turns out to be non-informative. Wasn't that long. Didn't really give any details - just the basics. No mention of a bat and that picture I saw in the beginning never surfaced again.

I didn't watch 20/20 but I swear that there was a photo being shown the first day that showed a body on the floor, covered in a white sheet or blanket, with dark hair sticking out. I vividly remember it because I thought it was very tasteless to be showing that picture so soon....I would put money on the fact it was shown on HLN, since thats the only news station I watch. I have tried to find it since reading this thread (not to be morbid, but because there seemed to be interest) and I can't find it doing a google search.

omg I missed all the shows. My little sister called upset.

I'll go catch up now.

RUPA MIKKILINENI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: That`s right, Jean. Big news tonight. For the first time, Peruvian authorities have confirmed to us that the murder weapon is a baseball bat, a baseball bat found in the hotel room along with Flores`s body.

CASAREZ: Tell us more. Where was -- was the baseball bat near the body? Was it in the closet? Was it in one piece? Did it have blood all over it?

MIKKILINENI: Jean, we don`t know those details. All we`ve been able to confirm -- and as you know, all along we`ve been hearing reports from police and from various sources that they have a mountain of evidence against Joran Van Der Sloot, and now we`re hearing what some of that evidence is, and this is the murder weapon.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1006/04/ng.01.html

Very carefully I write, we need to wait until a majority of the national cable news stories start reporting the exact same thing when it comes to what is "alleged" to be the "bombshell" murder weapon. :angel:

The picture on 20/20 showed no white sheet. Just a girl lying on her side - red shirt - long dark hair that was "spread out" so you couldn't make out any features.

Also, I thought there was no bail in Peru. Even so, I do think this case will be dealt with post haste as the international media scrum has arrived.

from CNN.com:

Investigators also found a baseball bat in the room, two law enforcement sources -- who said it was the murder weapon -- told HLN's "Nancy Grace."

link:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/04/peru.murder.case/index.html?hpt=T3

Thank you for the link, Cricket. I'm just jumping off your post.

Wonder why JeanC did not jump to release that info - bat found in room.

I did not hear Jean C., any of her guests nor her reporters in Peru state that a bat was found in the room (but I may have missed it), though she certainly repeated at least 3x that police confirmed that SR was beaten with a bat (paraphrase), and that a bat was the murder weapon. Confirmed a few times that autopsy showed COD blunt trauma to head, neck and back. Brother did as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth