Powell's Graham house a 'fake,' investigators say

I'm glad for all concerned that the remains of the house are gone. There would never be enough time for the house to be refurbished and rented/sold. It would be a blemish on the neighborhood and a horrific reminder of a tragedy every time the neighbors had to look at the burned out shell. Now, given time a new little cottage could be put on the spot and sold or rented, a house used by social services, better yet a small neighborhood park dedicated to children lost in senseless acts of depravity.

Mr Small and family I hope you recoup every cent and I hope you recover from this trauma that Powell inflicted on your life. Good bless.

Well, to be fair, I think the land itself is worth more than $60,000. If he waits a little while, I would think it would be safe to build a new house. It is one thing to live in a house where such a terrible tragedy occurred, but it is a different thing to live in a completely new house built on the same spot.

If he does end up donating the land, then I think the estate should be sued for the loss. I also think the Coxes should sue the estate for Susan's retirement money he STOLE before he moved from Utah.

I don't know the laws of Utah, but I don't see how the Coxes could sue JP's estate. JP had POW over Susan's retirement money. When my husband went to Afghanistan I had him sign over his POA to me. His parents had no claim to any money/assests of his. The Coxes could sue, but I don't think they could win and the lawyers would get a good chunk of the estate.

I don't know the laws of Utah, but I don't see how the Coxes could sue JP's estate. JP had POW over Susan's retirement money. When my husband went to Afghanistan I had him sign over his POA to me. His parents had no claim to any money/assests of his. The Coxes could sue, but I don't think they could win and the lawyers would get a good chunk of the estate.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me he used that POA under fraudulant circumstances. He killed her and he knew it, and used that circumstance in order to clean out money that belonged to the woman he killed. It is wrong for someone to profit from a spouse's death. Since he killed her, anything she had should skip him as an heir. JMO.

TLC is currently airing a new episode of 20/20 on TLC. It is called 'Desperate Dads' - and is focusing on Josh Powell and another dad from Arkansas.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me he used that POA under fraudulant circumstances. He killed her and he knew it, and used that circumstance in order to clean out money that belonged to the woman he killed. It is wrong for someone to profit from a spouse's death. Since he killed her, anything she had should skip him as an heir. JMO.

I agree with you. Of course it it wrong to profit from a spouse's death, but WVPD never said she was dead, only a missing person. I am looking at this from a legal issue. It is most unfortunate that WVPD did not charge JP. But since they did not, I really do not see how JP used SP POW under fraudulant circumstanses.

I as well hope that the owners recoup their losses.

I do as well believe that the Cox's will receive most if not all of the life insurance money.

By bringing a civil suit, I would hope that documents would then be released as I am certain there is much we are not aware of as of yet.

Sulamith brings up a valid point although most believe she is no longer alive, she has not been declared legally deceased.

It seems like the will & testament of JP would hinge on state/civil/marital laws and the fact that SP has not been declared dead. Perhaps all will have to go into probate until SP is declared dead. None of the Powell's should be entitled to any of the monies and or properties until such time that their rightful owner SP (JP's wife) is declared dead. Especially since, a good portion of his assets were likely derived via the theft of SP's 401K.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back