Stranded paraplegic survives 3 days in NM desert

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L4_UNEWS

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A paraplegic man who says he was stranded in the New Mexico desert without his wheelchair dragged himself about four miles down a dirt road over three days before a motorist stopped to help him...............

Gilmore, 49, is being treated for acute kidney failure from dehydration, a sprained wrist and a blood infection. He spent two days in intensive care and it could be at least another week before he can go home..............

When he declined to share his alcohol with them, Gilmore said the man grabbed him by his feet and threw him out of the truck while parked along the desolate road.

It was early evening and Gilmore had nothing — no wheelchair, no food, no water, no coat — to help him endure the flat desert scrubland...............

Two people passed by. Gilmore tried flagging them down but they only honked and kept going.............

On the third afternoon, a man in a blue pickup truck stopped and called for help. Gilmore said doctors told him his body temperature was 94 when he was found.

"I don't think I would have made it another night," he said....more at link......

I cannot imagine seeing a man dragging himself through the desert and waving and driving on without offering some sort of assistance. At the very least, I'd crack the window, throw him a bottle of water and tell him I was contacting 911 to help him!

I cannot imagine seeing a man dragging himself through the desert and waving and driving on without offering some sort of assistance. At the very least, I'd crack the window, throw him a bottle of water and tell him I was contacting 911 to help him!

Agree! I couldn't believe those people didn't at least do that....the article says he filed a report with LE....hope they can track down the ones who threw him out and there are some charges, such as abuse of a disabled person:

The Daily Times reported that Gilmore filed a report with Shiprock police. No officials at the department after hours Tuesday could confirm details of the report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back