Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification. I see the article actually says the NYPD plan is to search within public forums for words/phrases used in prior language used by shooters in their past emails.

Phew! I was thinking -- sometimes in jest and sometimes in angry/frustration, etc. -- that many people write off-the-cuff things like "if I can get my hands around that jackass, I'd...", etc. so it'd be extremely invasive if that was what the NYPD plan was. However, as you have indicated, that wasn't the quote -- although I could see a slippery slope occurring.

As an example, look at the Patriot Act of 2001 whereby the government can eavesdrop on telephones/library records, etc. of ANYONE they suspect as terrorists, and even since 9/11 anyone at airports can be searched for possible terrorist tools.

Anything can happen on the public internet. Just recently, my step-daughter made a snarky comment as a joke on someone's Tumblr page that wasn't private. It went completely viral. It wasn't even funny, but apparently thousands of people thought it was.

I think if LE searched this website they wouldn't be too worried unless they knew they were looking for someone in particular. We are ALL doing weird web searches here! They'd have a heck of a time wading through all of our ISP addresses and trying to decide who, if any of us, was dangerous lol.

That said, if I were truly going to commit a crime, I would never plot it online, even in private email or chat. Or via text. I know enough to leave my phone at home and buy a throw away Tracfone.

I will probably have LE on my doorstep within the hour :)

Nancy was quite social. She went out to the bar, she went on vacations, she had friends. If she let no one into her home it's likely because she had her adult son with issues living in her basement.
I don't think he liked having people over.

Adam Lanza was 20 years old and had some emotionally disturbed disability going on for his entire life

With all the issues he had being anti social to just about everyone, brothers, his dad, relatives, sometimes to his mom, the few people he came in contact with, so who's to say if he goes to Washington to be placed in a group home that he would'nt go mad and kill people there?

This guy was way too sensitive to changes in lifestyle and who's to say maybe if someone else said something to him to cause him to go berserk and kill people?

It seems clear as day to me that Lanza was too tightly wound, wired mentally, that anything could've set this guy off

JMO Lanza likely woul'dve killed people at some point in his life...it's just that on Dec 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook was when he dcided to kill people

I agree gngr-snap, but many parents when their child is different, get very protective and have expectations of schools. But i believe as someone said in a previos thread, the adult future of these children is most important.
The woman i know with a daughter was at the school often and never thought the school did enough. At 14 the the girl was put on the pill. last time i socilized at the mothers place, the then 12 year old child was crawling over people like a 5 yr old, it was uncomfortable, i asked -have you not discussed her respect for her body, and other peoples space, "well no cause well she has adhd and dos'nt understand" duh

My child did not go to special classes, he went to a mental health councellor twice a week alone,(i went seperatly) we learned ,self soothing, every action has a reaction, you are responsible for your choices. I could not put him in time out, he was out the window or wrecking, could not take stuff away, because he would flip, so it was bear hugs till he calmed(i was black and blue) and we talked and read the handouts they gave me, " i say see this is what it says, your going to be perfect now" then we would laugh. It was 4yrs to 10yrs then we moved, i thought it might be a problem, but it was good, before he was a problem child, he even new that some kids did the negative attention thing. I did put him in an alterative school for troubled kids, they are heavy into social skills. He told me "sometimes i don't think like myself" i say i understand it might always be this way. what more can i say?

I think Adam would of been better off in a trailer park, because of the basic stimulli of voices, cars driving by - and of course the nosey neibours.
i don't think A was doing drugs unless mom was supplying him, can't see him haggling with the local drug dealer.
Nancy was antisocial, i'm like that, i am really chatty-taught my child- watch this- just get people talking about themselves- and truly i am interested in how people deal with life, cause i learn social skills that way. she let no-one in her home, she has no close friends. adam, his mother took the charge of controlling life, her face ,her mouth -words-voice- well i can see the face shots.
my child plays the same games, but ya know i don't think any one talked with adam about that this is not real- as in you don't drive with your thumbs
JMO mom said i know how to deal with Adam and bro and dad accepted that.

I haven't read this whole thread, but every child with these issues reacts differently. It sounds like you did a great job with your son. With my step-son, when his mom did the bear hugs, they both ended up black and blue she had to hold him so tight...or did it wrong. I don't know. He didn't behave like that around us. CPS intervened, we filed for custody, big mess. He did better with meds. I was worried about CPS. They did NOTHING for my step-son, (no psych evals, extra therapy, which they promised) but they did provide parenting classes for his mom and did our home eval for custody which was handy.

My daughter has Aspergers/OCD/ADHD. She is very smart, but she was 16 before she had the mental capacity psychiatric wise to change her behavior, which, fortunatly, was not violent. She was, however, odd, had eye contact problems, got stuck on certain issues, was afraid of common objects (her OCD is definitely not germ or cleaning related!), and sat in an odd position and rocked. Not cool in high school.

She had wonderful teachers in grade school. The middle school told me they didn't have time to deal with her, so I home schooled her in basic subjects and she continued to take electives at the school. (she also took martial arts and got a black belt) The high school has been wonderful. I put her in a residential facility her sophomore year for a few months (nearly killed me) but it was the best thing I ever did for her. Her high school worked with the facility teachers.

She is a senior and will graduate on time!

I feel really bad for those who get lost in the system. Who just don't know what to do. I spent so much of my time wading through information, paying out of pocket for second and third opinions, treatments that weren't covered by insurance. Finding the right providers. Educating teachers...most who were willing to help.

I don't know what Nancy Lanza went through with Adam. I can tell you it's a heck of an uphill battle and it takes everything out of you.

Anti-social - glib -superficial charm.... NOT SAYING SHE WAS OR WAS NOT...for clarification.
wrong LINK! My laptop died today I am posting from my phone and it is storming here. Probably better off if I just read. sorry !

I was reading some of the parent's comments about of their children who were killed at Sandy Hook and also the comments about the heroic faculty, custodian

Some of the comments about the children were really touching, so many of the kids would do amazing things like one little girl took money from her piggy bank to buy presents for needy kids

Another little girl gave her snacks to another passenger on a plane ride during a family vacation

And it goes on and on

On a side note, I while my computer was getting fixed, I stopped by our local library to use their computers

During the entire week, all kinds of young boys were locked on the computers for hours playing those war/battlefield violent games...I asked the librarian if they play these games all the time...she said they do

Are you saying that antisocial people have glib, superficial charm? I thought that applied to sociopaths. I guess I'm confused because that link didn't clear it up for me.

They do. That was the wrong link. I deleted it. Trying to post from my phone in a storm and it is not working out so well!

They do. That was the wrong link. I deleted it. Trying to post from my phone in a storm and it is not working out so well!

Oh, maybe you're talking about people with antisocial personality disorder. I was thinking about people that I know who are just not social or even antisocial, but without the personality disorder.
Stay safe in the storm!

IMHO, AL had Asperger's and a very blooming schizoid/schizophrenia emerging. I also "sense" there was something sexual emerging in AL which just may have added to his confusion. Did he suspect his ever doting mother was getting romantically involved and that was why she was going out of town more frequently? Did he resent that? Was he jealous?

Perhaps he watched *advertiser censored* just as much as violent video games and that was the reason he smashed his hard drives?

I'm just getting vibes ala Sigmund Freud.......just sayin'......

I think it's because they got the shooter. If there was a mystery here then they would do whatever they could to find out who did it. What needs to be done now is put a community back together.

Er, they are trying. There are several available links that mention experts trying to put AL's hard drive back together. Trying to get data from a hard drive and putting a "community back together" are separate and distinct things. I don't see how one is even remotely related to the other. I also don't agree that there isn't a mystery. Read all the previous threads - lots of mysteries and trying to figure out why.

There was nothing wrong with the Anthony's computer; the investigators were just lazy and/or didn't care to look at multiple browsers. This is different. AL's hard drive is very important. No one is just giving up because he's dead, or, as you put it, "they got the shooter."

Er, they are trying. There are several available links that mention experts trying to put AL's hard drive back together. Trying to get data from a hard drive and putting a "community back together" are separate and distinct things. I don't see how one is even remotely related to the other. I also don't agree that there isn't a mystery. Read all the previous threads - lots of mysteries and trying to figure out why.

There was nothing wrong with the Anthony's computer; the investigators were just lazy and/or didn't care to look at multiple browsers. This is different. AL's hard drive is very important. No one is just giving up because he's dead, or, as you put it, "they got the shooter."

I agree-it's important, but from what's been implied so far, AL's hard drive is damaged beyond repair.

Are you saying that antisocial people have glib, superficial charm? I thought that applied to sociopaths. I guess I'm confused because that link didn't clear it up for me.

It can be like that. Being "social" is a 2-way street. It's quite obvious that mom let loose very little about her own life, made nice with people she encountered, very superficial.

It can be like that. Being "social" is a 2-way street. It's quite obvious that mom let loose very little about her own life, made nice with people she encountered, very superficial.

Possibly .. but then we also have to assume that the people talking to the media are the people in her life who weren't that close .. perhaps she had closer friends who are speaking to LE or respecting her privacy?

Even the oft-printed assertion that Nancy frequently took her sons to shooting ranges is not bearing scrutiny. At a nearby range, police pored for hours over every sign-in, and found no Lanza at target practice in 2012.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/23/no-tears-nancy-lanza-newtown-mother

I am not sure what is that supposed to mean? At one range, police found no Lanza at target practice? How does that prove anything at all? Did anybody claim she took her sons to every range in the area? I don't think so.

Possibly .. but then we also have to assume that the people talking to the media are the people in her life who weren't that close .. perhaps she had closer friends who are speaking to LE or respecting her privacy?

Seems like that would be pretty unlikely. Consider this; Nancy didn't work during her time in Newtown, so, no friends from coworkers. She moved to the town from NH, so, no old High School buddies. She socialized with the women of the neighborhood over dice or games, but they didn't know much about her beyond that. She went into a bar several times a week, but, again, the people there know very little about her life.

With the exception of people she, maybe, kept in contact with from HS via the phone there seems to be very little oppurtunity, that we know of, for this woman to have created an indepth social network. Her social network is speaking, and, by all accounts, she was a guarded woman. Superficial chitchat does not a social person make... imo

It's very possible Lanza's early childhood disability--Aspergers, or others-- could've easily morphed into a Schizophrenia type of illness since he was 20 at the time of the shooting

Our brother's Schizophrenia diagnosis at 19-20 when he was a freshman at Miami Univ, OH was on par with the experts telling us it develops in men in their late teens to early 20s.

"Schizophrenia typically shows up in young adults. For men it tends to emerge around 20 to 28 years and peak onset for women is between 26 to 32 years. But what triggers the disease during this time? "

Here's a small sample of Schizophrenia symptoms that pretty easily matched Lanza's odd behaviors:

Negative symptoms
Negative symptoms refer to a diminishment or absence of characteristics of normal function. They may appear with or without positive symptoms. They include:

Loss of interest in everyday activities
Appearing to lack emotion
Reduced ability to plan or carry out activities
Neglect of personal hygiene
Social withdrawal
Loss of motivation

http://www.scientificamerican.com/p...=why-does-schizophrenia-appear-in-yo-10-02-27

Seems like that would be pretty unlikely. Consider this; Nancy didn't work during her time in Newtown, so, no friends from coworkers. She moved to the town from NH, so, no old High School buddies. She socialized with the women of the neighborhood over dice or games, but they didn't know much about her beyond that. She went into a bar several times a week, but, again, the people there know very little about her life.

With the exception of people she, maybe, kept in contact with from HS via the phone there seems to be very little oppurtunity, that we know of, for this woman to have created an indepth social network. Her social network is speaking, and, by all accounts, she was a guarded woman. Superficial chitchat does not a social person make... imo

Who says she had to create "in depth social" network? She went out, she had friends, she went on vacations. She wasn't the one sitting in her basement all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam