AL AL - Christina Carter, 3, Hueytown, 17 Sept 1973

I can't make up my mind what I want her dad to find out. That the DNA does NOT match Sharon and, therefore, he still has no closure?

Or that Sharon and Christy are the same person? He'll have closure (and a new grandchild), BUT new heartache knowing what Sharon went through. He has not read the book, yet, though. Several of us advised him not to read it before he gets results because I didn't want him to hurt for so long if DNA shows that Sharon was NOT Christy.

So, no matter what the results show, sadness still lies ahead for her dad.

Hugs and prayers for Christy's dad whatever the outcome of the DNA tests.

I agree with Christy's father not reading the book at this point...And I'm torn as to whether he ever read it at all. Sharon cannot be defined forever by the acts of a psychopath. Sharon for me is defined by her accomplishments despite those acts. For all that Franklin Delano Floyd did to destroy the soul of an innocent child, she simply fought harder to be who she was meant to be.
I've been involved in Sharon's case for many years, predating my coming to this website. Sharon has always been an inspiration. She may have never known her parents, or at best had the barest recollection of them--Wisps of a dream that she carried with her upon waking. Despite the life into which she was forced, she very nearly triumphed. It took her untimely death to stop her---And Im not even sure its fair to her to say that, because to this day she still inspires many of us to care for her and admire her.
That is the story that should be told. Those are the memories that her family should carry. I've said it before, and will no doubt repeat it many times...Sharon is a person that any parent would be proud to call daughter.

I just found out today that the lab has excluded Christy as a possible match for Sharon Marshal.

Thank you, Christy's Dad. I'm praying that you and and the rest of Christina's loved ones will one day know what happened to her. Someone has to know something. We just have to keep searching for answers. God Bless.

Yes, this is true - Her dad did get word today that Christy has been excluded as a possible match for Sharon.

Thanks to all of you who have prayed and sought for answers. I know this has been tough for Christy's Dad but at least Christy's case got attention again and DNA is now on file to maybe someday open a door to answers for her.

And I truly hope that Sharon's identify is discovered some day.

Thanks Martie Lee for keeping us in the loop these past few years... I got teary eyed when I read your post that Christina and Sharon are not a match.

I feel for Christina's dad, but hope one day he can find the truth about what happened to his daughter.

I was very sad to learn that Christina was not a match for Sharon. I wanted to share something that I found last year. I purchased an online/software photo slideshow program called Smilebox to use when sending my husband pictures of Emma while he was deployed. It's an awesome program btw! When I first got it I was immediately drawn to a picture that the company used as their default picture for the "family and friends" section. I looked at it over and over and finally resolved that the little girl in the photo looked a lot like Christina Carter. Now, I have no idea where the picture came from they do not list photo credits and it is not a photo that one could isolate since it is a Flash based program. I am going to post a screen-shot and y'all can tell me if you agree or not. I know that many girls at that age look a like so if you don't see it ... I will not be offended. I just felt like since the DNA wasn't a match it was worth considering. Maybe the company would know where the photo came from. I am sure that at some point they had to purchase the copyright for it. ... so here it is highlighted in yellow.
fdg4sy.jpg
l_57c642bb06e042ca90c238bf43d71f03.jpg

The difference that I see is the width across her bridge and between the eyes; but in the smilebox pic she has a bigger smile and that could account for the difference.

I literally sat here for 10 minutes picking the pix apart feature by feature. That baby pic, while similar to 100 others, is eerily close to Christina Carter's. Good eye!

After being on a news station blog out of FL, the night that Susan Bakers' name was brought up as the babysitter of a child missing 20ish years, I will never, ever, doubt another persons intuition.

Wow, I am stunned. I have to say that for Christy's family's sake I'm glad it wasn't her. They won't have to live with knowing what a life she had to endure. It is sad however to again be back to square one with Sharon.

I pray there will one day be closure on both these cases.

carter_christina.jpg
carter_christina_ap38.jpg

Christina Lynn Carter

Endangered Missing -- Missing Since: September 17, 1973

Missing From: Hueytown, Alabama

Height: 3'2" -- Weight: 30 lbs -- Hair Color: Blonde -- Eye Color: Blue

Christina's photo is shown age-processed to 38 years. She was last seen on September 17, 1973. Her nickname is Christy.

NCMEC

Charley Project

New to this thread. Hello everyone.

So...

Christy's dad and mom divorced.

Christy's mom was seeing a married man, a policeman.

They were planning some kind of trip to the Great Smoky Mountains.

Christy's mom took Christy into hiding, presumably over the custody battle.

Twenty days later, Christy's mom turned up in a duffel bag in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and is identified after a month.

Is the policeman's wife still alive? She alibied him the night and morning Christy's mom died.

New to this thread. Hello everyone.

So...

Christy's dad and mom divorced.

Christy's mom was seeing a married man, a policeman.

They were planning some kind of trip to the Great Smoky Mountains.

Christy's mom took Christy into hiding, presumably over the custody battle.

Twenty days later, Christy's mom turned up in a duffel bag in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and is identified after a month.

Is the policeman's wife still alive? She alibied him the night and morning Christy's mom died.

BBM: Good place to start.

Hello all,

New to the forums, although I've visited the Websleuths site before and have been familiar with the Floyd/Marshall/Hughes case since I first saw it years ago on Unsolved Mysteries. It was one of those stories that just stayed with me somehow. I recently learned about "A Beautiful Child" and started reading it. It breaks my heart how Floyd destroyed a young woman with such incredible potential, and very likely killed a little boy he didn't even want, but who had a family who was ready and willing to give him all the love he deserved. I searched through the Doe Network missing cases for children who had gone missing around the time that Floyd was first seen with the girl he abducted and I too thought Christina Carter to be the most likely candidate. It's both a blessing and a curse that the results turned out negative. I'm sure that Christina's family is relieved that Christina did not endure the abuse and suffering of "Sharon Marshall," but it still leaves the people who knew and loved Christina, as well as the woman they knew as Sharon, wondering. I hope there'll be a break in this case someday soon.

TENNESSEE LINK WOW WOW WOW !!!!!

Matt Birkbeck, author of A Beautiful Child just posted the following update on his website:

http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog.html

TENNESSEE LINK

08/07/2013

It's been a year since I first mentioned a potential break in the search for Sharon's identity. Local and federal law enforcement have been involved, but to date there's been no significant movement or progress. So, here's what's been happening.

Police near Knoxville, TN received a call from a woman who said she knew Franklin Floyd when she was a child in the early 1970s, and that Floyd and his brother Billy had visited her father, who was a serial rapist and pedophile. Floyd was on the run (you'll recall he violated his parole in early 1973) and sought refuge with this woman's father. Around the same time, the body of Janet Carter was found in the Smokey Mountains and her three-year old daughter Christina was missing. Janet was from Birmingham and was in the midst of a custody battle with her husband when she fled. The woman claims that her father killed Janet and took Christina, whom he repeatedly raped before killing her and burying her body underneath his home.

Around the same time, Floyd and his brother were staying nearby, and the woman said she would be taken there every weekend, where Floyd would rape her. The woman remembers another little girl, a cousin, who was also repeatedly raped by her father. The cousin, said the woman, is Sharon.

The woman said her father was going to kill Sharon, but Floyd apparently fled wth her.

The woman told her story to the local police, who called in the local FBI. Their interest was minimal. After six months, and with little progress, I connected the local police to Joe Fitzpatrick, and over the past few months the woman has been interviewed several times by an outside FBI bureau. There are other details that can't be released yet.

The woman says she never read A Beautiful Child, and her memories are real. I thought enough of her and her story to pass it along. The bit about Floyd "rescuing" the girl from the woman's father is similar to what Floyd told me when I interviewed him, that he saved the girl from certain death. The woman's father is still alive, and last I heard police were going to interview him. Will keep you posted.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back