OR - Legal protections for Followers of Christ to end/no more faith-healing reliance

As tlcox says, this is a can of worms. I'm surely not a mod (bless their hearts, I don't know how they do it) but I did start this thread knowing full well how polarized the debate would be. This is a pertinent and timely topic and extremely important for parents to consider. I implore everyone to be kind and respectful of other's positions. I seriously doubt that there will be a consensus on this issue.

I think it is imperative that the children's comfort, safety and health, rather than the parents' rights, be considered first as we carry on this debate.

I really look forward to hearing from mommy23.

We have to look at the whole picture. Of course the children should be protected, taken care of, loved, and ushered into adulthood with as much good health as they can be, and if there is true child abuse going on, there will be other manifestations of it.

There is a huge difference between driving drunk (something you are responsible for doing) and allowing nature to take it's course.

Because one person chooses to not believe in a higher power, or personal God - does not take away another's right to believe in it or the power of prayer. The founders were VERY specific on the right of freedom of religion.

I think what constitutes a religion could be valid - but not singling out one religion for their beliefs.

How do you know it was or wasn't because of prayer?

I know that people aren't cured from colds, pharyngitis (the cause of sore throats), etc due to prayer because of scientific advancements. Science has taught us all about our immune system. We have proof that we all have an immune system; however there is no actual proof that our immune system is connected to prayer or anything of that nature. A belief is not proof. I don't understand how people can insist that their illness went away because they prayed, when there are people in 3rd world countries who are starving. It just seems pretty self-centered to act like God favors you more than he favors them.

I know that people aren't cured from colds, pharyngitis (the cause of sore throats), etc due to prayer because of scientific advancements. Science has taught us all about our immune system. We have proof that we all have an immune system; however there is no actual proof that our immune system is connected to prayer or anything of that nature. A belief is not proof. I don't understand how people can insist that their illness went away because they prayed, when there are people in 3rd world countries who are starving. It just seems pretty self-centered to act like God favors you more than he favors them.

So it's as much to do with a difference of religious beliefs as the children dying in your explanation. Your opinion on God and or prayer does not outrank a parents opinion and right to practice their religion. If the religion required them to kill their children, then the state has the right to step in - believing in non traditional healing - doesn't. I think ultimately a law that is made to corner one religion will be struck down.

Female genital mutilation is far more common in those of African and Middle Eastern descent and yet it is illegal in the US. Infant masturbation, for purposes of calming infants, is practiced in certain areas of the Asia. It would be judged to be sexual abuse in the US. Both of these issues seem to be far more common within a certain group of people and yet the US has made laws prohibiting them without an outcry of discrimination. Marking, scribing and scarification are common in Africa and yet US children cannot legally be marked in this way. Thirteen year olds may not marry. Children are prohibited from certain workplaces and their labor is strictly controlled. The types and levels of discipline is regulated. Children are required to wear clothing to school and to conform to dress-codes.

I do think that these precedents and hundreds of others certainly apply to the issue at hand. The American people have chosen to set laws controlling, limiting, and prohibiting many actions practiced by people of many different religions and cultures throughout the world. It seems to me that our legal system is designed in such a way that the best interest of the child--his/her health and welfare--carries more legal weight than the child's culture or religion.

So it's as much to do with a difference of religious beliefs as the children dying in your explanation. Your opinion on God and or prayer does not outrank a parents opinion and right to practice their religion. If the religion required them to kill their children, then the state has the right to step in - believing in non traditional healing - doesn't. I think ultimately a law that is made to corner one religion will be struck down.

People get prosecuted for murders that weren't planned/premeditated all the time so why is this any different? The parent doesn't have to say, "I'm going to strangle my child because my religion told me so," to be committing murder. It might not be 1st degree murder but it is at least manslaughter or some form of child neglect/abuse. Ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law.

ETA: How is a follower of this religion who watches their child get violently ill and weaker everyday until they die any different than a parent who beats their child every time the child doesn't behave and one day it goes too far and the child dies? Neither one was necessarily planning to murder their kid, but their actions (that they were aware they were doing; this wasn't a spilt-second thing) caused their child to die.

People get prosecuted for murders that weren't planned/premeditated all the time so why is this any different? The parent doesn't have to say, "I'm going to strangle my child because my religion told me so," to be committing murder. It might not be 1st degree murder but it is at least manslaughter or some form of child neglect/abuse. Ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law.

There is no law being broken. That's what they want to do is create a law that makes it a crime.

Female genital mutilation is far more common in those of African and Middle Eastern descent and yet it is illegal in the US. Infant masturbation, for purposes of calming infants, is practiced in certain areas of the Asia. It would be judged to be sexual abuse in the US. Both of these issues seem to be far more common within a certain group of people and yet the US has made laws prohibiting them without an outcry of discrimination. Marking, scribing and scarification are common in Africa and yet US children cannot legally be marked in this way. Thirteen year olds may not marry. Children are prohibited from certain workplaces and their labor is strictly controlled. The types and levels of discipline is regulated. Children are required to wear clothing to school and to conform to dress-codes.

I do think that these precedents and hundreds of others certainly apply to the issue at hand. The American people have chosen to set laws controlling, limiting, and prohibiting many actions practiced by people of many different religions and cultures throughout the world. It seems to me that our legal system is designed in such a way that the best interest of the child--his/her health and welfare--carries more legal weight than the child's culture or religion.
Oh my goodness - comparisons here are so different, and the reasons for them are so different. Totally and completely - where does it end with this law in Oregon, in the US? I'm not talking about female mutilation which is cultural towards women and not religious. Where does it end if you tell a specific religion that they must treat their children with western medicine? For what reasons must they and they alone go to the doctor or be charged with neglect or abuse?

I don't believe that the Followers of Christ are being told that they must treat their children with western medicine. It's my understanding that they would be compelled to render medical aid of some sort to a suffering child. That could be many different forms of medicine.

It would be interesting to note just how other states have dealt with this issue. The Followers of Christ seem to be confined to Oregon but there are many other groups who shun medical care.

It bothers me to no end that I keep reading reports of adult Followers of Christ who are seeing medical doctors clandestinely for their own health needs but are allowing the children to suffer.

I don't believe that the Followers of Christ are being told that they must treat their children with western medicine. It's my understanding that they would be compelled to render medical aid of some sort to a suffering child. That could be many different forms of medicine.

It would be interesting to note just how other states have dealt with this issue. The Followers of Christ seem to be confined to Oregon but there are many other groups who shun medical care.

It bothers me to no end that I keep reading reports of adult Followers of Christ who are seeing medical doctors clandestinely for their own health needs but are allowing the children to suffer.

In that situation wouldn't it be clear that they are not really sincerely held beliefs? If a parent sought medical care for themselves while letting a child die, absolutely charge them.
I would crawl on broken glass to find treatment for my daughter if she were ill. I am not sure the treatment I would go for if she (or I ) had cancer would be the same route most people would go - but we would get alternative treatment....I'm not advocating that children shouldn't be well taken care of when they are sick. I do believe it is up to the parents to decide what kind of treatment they receive. And that the state ought never mandate a particular treatment. (Even living in Oregon a good portion of my life, I've only heard bits and pieces when they make it into the news. I am not familiar with their teachings....my complaint is strictly that the state cannot mandate specific medical care, and cannot outlaw specific relgions).

Sorry it took me a bit to get back here, my comp has been having issues with WS for a few days.... Finally realized I needed some updates that I was ignoring, and now all is well ;)

SO I had a friend, we met when she was 17, and she has been raised with this religion her whole life. She dropped out of school in 5th grade, because she didn't like it, and so her parents and extended family prayed for her to be smart. It didn't work, well she is smart, but not educated. She got a job at a grocery store, which is were I met her, we worked together. Poor thing was so sheltered from the outside world, she had a few friends from "church" and that was it. Her family lived in what I would almost call a compound, it was a lot of extended family, and some friends all on a large piece of property in the mountains, they hunted for a lot of their own food, and also grew what they could as well. This was in So Oregon, near Selma.

With her working, she really started to realize there was a lot more world out there, she was curious as many teens are, started going out with new friends etc.... And she got a boyfriend. Well, by 20 she ended up pregnant, she came to my house in tears, because she was scared her Dad would kill her. I thought she was being overly dramatic, I know Dad's, espescially religious households, are not always very accepting of of a child out of wedlock..... I soon learned, she was serious. She was a disgrace to the entire family. She kept it a secret until about 12 weeks, and decided she needed to be honest with her parents, she was still living at home.

I knew she was gonna tell them, and was waiting anxiously at work the next day to see how it went, well she didn't show. No calling in, just didn't show up, and her cell phone would go straight to vm. I was terrified, I wanted to drive to the house, but I didn't quite know where it was, because they did not allow visitors that were outside of their beliefs. So I waited, a few days passed by, and I had a knock at my door at 3 am. It was her, she had finally snuck away. Her dad had locked her in the barn, and said she would stay there until prayer told him what to do with her. She broke out of there in the middle of the night, ran through the woods, and hitchiked her way to my house ( about 20 miles). She had been beaten, and her hands and feet tied with ropes. She hadn't eaten anything, he wouldn't waste is food on the child she was carrying, so in turn, she was not allowed to eat.

She was staying with me for a while, and her mom finally made contact, and wanted to make ammends, so pretty soon, she went back home. And was allowed to be in the home. By now, she was 16 weeks along, and so far had no prenatal care, but things seemed to be progressing normally. Well then the swine flu hit, and she got it bad... Fever of 104-105, and couldn't even keep fluids down. She was very worried for the baby, and wanted to see a DR. At this point in her life, she had never been to a DR, but she was now an adult, and was choosing to take that route. She called me to come get her and take her to the ER, as by now she was also bleeding.

I showed up at the house, and her Dad came out with a gun pointed at my car, I could see her in the window crying, and yelling, and her uncle and mom were holding her inside. Her dad yelled at me, how I was instilling the devil in his daughter..... and many other things. I ended up leaving, as I was very concerned he was actually gonna shoot me!!

I thought for awhile, and decided, she is an adult, and she wants medical attention, they cannot keep her from getting it. SO I called the sherrifs. They went to the house, and she was no where to be found, and her family played dumb and said she hasn't been there. SO nothing could be done. I started driving the backroads, and finally found her hitchiking again, by now, gushing blood, completely dehydrated, and fever hovering around 105. I couldn't believe she was still standing.

We went straight to the ER, she ended up being admitted for 9 days!!!! They said she would not have survived another 24 hours. The baby also made it through :)

After that, she moved in with me, and I learned so much more about her childhood. And some startling information about how many siblings she actually had. I knew of 1 older brother... Well mom had actually had 7 babies total, 5 of them had died at some point during childhood. She doesn't know what they died from, but knows they were usually sick before they passed. Her mom delivered all of the babies at home, and none were ever issued birth certificates, ss cards etc. No record that any of them ever existed!!!!

So how many children have we heard that have died??? Makes me wonder how many we NEVER heard about!!!!

SO fast foward a few months, she has a beautiful lil boy. She planned on a hospital birth attended by midwifes, and all was wonderful and perfect. Her mom snuck away from dad to come see the baby when he was 2 weeks old, and my friend went to take a shower, and let grandma take care of him for a few, and when she got out, they were gone.

Mom had taken him to Dad, they needed to pray over him, as HE had contaminated their family by being born in a hospital, and by being born out of wedlock. ( like that was HIS fault! ugh)

Luckily we were able to go up there, and they didn't put much resistance to give him back, but she was then disowned by her family. And will never be welcome around them again. It's been 4 years, still no contact. Also her friends that she was raised with, and her extended family, also will not associate with her. Even if they see each other in town, its as if they have never met.

My friend is a very religious person, prays all the time, and is raising her son in church. But she has realized what extremists her parent are, and is working hard at getting her own life together and learning more about what it is like on the "outside". And she is doing a wonderful job ;) Oh and her and baby Daddy did eventually get married as well ;)

SO that is my long drawn out story, with less than 3,000 members of this church, I believe it is more like a cult. I know not every member is as extreme as her parents were. But from what I have seen, these aren't sweet loving parents simply relying on prayer. They are controlling, they have very jaded views on the outside world, and really, just seem "cult like" to me.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with anything I have said, and I also don't expect anyone to agree fully with me. I do have strong opinions on how much our laws can control in our personal lives, and maybe I am not against faith healing in general... I don't expect anyone to run to the DR for every cold or flu, but lines have to be drawn somewhere. I believe God gave us the knowledge to create advanced medical care, and DR's and scientists with a lot of intelligence, and that we should utilize these resources as needed. :twocents:

mommy23--Thank you so much for sharing your story. I know exactly where you are talking about near Selma. You hit the nail on the head. This group, this cult is abusive. I truly see it no differently than Michael Pearl imploring good Christians to beat the living daylights out of children and to strike fear in their hearts. Evil. Plain and simple. If anyone wants to follow the story through the years, please read some of the articles at the links I posted above. I'm struck by the lack of tenderness within this group. It's almost like they claim a God-given entitlement to do as they wish with their innocent children.

IMO, Oregon has actually waited too long for this legislation.

What a committed friend you were. I don't think the young woman would have made it without your love and support. And what a delight to hear that she delivered a healthy baby boy.

A former member of the Followers of Christ speaks out:

http://oregoncity.katu.com/content/former-follower-christ-church-members-advice-just-leave

Former Follower of Christ church member's advice: 'Just leave'
Dec. 17, 2010

"....M said growing up, the church didn’t make sense to here – especially when it came to medical care. “We would go to the dentist,” she recalled. “We would go have our eyes checked. Well, they're doctors - and the explanation would be … “they aren't going to save your life.” The life-and-death medical decisions were left up to God. No major medical treatment, including during childbirth, was allowed.

M started asking questions about church rules before she was a teenager – and a teenage bride. The answers were not forthcoming from her parents, especially her dad. "I would always question my dad - and he would get upset -- because he couldn't show it to me in the bible,” she recalled. “It was like “where did you get that from? Why do we do this? Where is that in the bible?” And he couldn't show me."

She was also forbidden to play sports or take part in activities with anyone from outside the church. M said she believes church leader Walter White used fear tactics to keep members in line – and in the church. The main tactic M says White used was the threat, or perhaps promise, that all those people outside the small church, the “worldlies,” were going to Hell...."

and

"....She remained quiet about her experience in the church for many years – until media reports of children dying from curable illnesses started making the news. M, who went on to college, owns her own business and sent her children to college as well, said she hopes going public sends a message to church members – especially women – that it is never too late to leave...."

more at link (plus video)

Exactly... It is a CULT and needs to be stopped. I almost worry now if they pass legislation, if there would be a mass death of some kind.... :sick:

I don't think this argument is about picking on a specific religion.... This is a group of people that are harming others in their group. Thanks for the links Missizzy;) You are always so on top of things!

LOL, I just re-read my post, and realized I put 4 years since they spoke, and its actually only 2 years, apparently I was tired when I was typing!.... Prob doesn't make much of a difference, but wanted to be accurate ;)

From Oregon's DHS site, with my emboldening added, regarding Oregon current child abuse and neglect laws.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/children/abuse/abuse_neglect.shtml

Medical neglect
Children need adequate medical, dental or mental health care services. Medical neglect is when a parent or caregiver does not provide these. When a medical situation may result in serious impairment, pain or death of the child, CPS can intervene. Religious beliefs about spiritual care are generally honored, except when the child's life is in danger. If a parent refuses medical attention in a serious or life-threatening situation, CPS may intervene.

So...if we're talking about drawing lines here, where do we draw it exactly? Perhaps Satanic ritual sacrifices should be protected--I mean it's religion. :crazy::devil:

I don't understand how religious beliefs came to be some sort of "trump" card. I think children's lives should be the ultimate deciding factor. I'm absolutely fine with holistic and alternative medicine, herbalism, Eastern approaches, etc., as long as it's appropriate and effective in treating the life-threatening illness. I personally use prescription medicine, herbal medicine, etc. and just started getting acupuncture:)

The point is, when a child's literal immediate life is at stake, doing nothing is not an option I'm ever willing to support. And until someone can provide me with a peer-reviewed journal article (or four) that concludes that prayer can adjust insulin levels better than actual insulin, synthetic or not, can, then as far as I'm concerned only praying is doing nothing. :cow:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back