NJ - Sean Goldman: Abducted and living in Brazil UPDATE: Coming Home

Bree0372

Prayers for Tripp ~ Team Boom
Reaction score
Sean.jpg

On June 16, 2004 David Goldman said goodbye to his son, Sean, at Newark Airport. He didn't know it at the time but his wife, Bruna, and her parents Silvana Bianchi Ribeiro and Raimundo Ribeiro were in the process of abducting Sean and taking him to Brazil with no intention of ever returning. According to the Hague Convention, to which both the United States and Brazil are signatories, this was a clear case of international child abduction, otherwise known as parental kidnapping. For over four years David has been fighting relentlessly in the Brazilian judicial system to win back custody of Sean and bring him home to their house in Tinton Falls, New Jersey.

Read more at the link. http://www.bringseanhome.org/home.html

This father's story is absolutely heartbreaking! Prayers for David (the dad) and Sean. :praying:

There is also a petition for the return of Sean to his dad, David.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/return-abducted-minor-sean-goldman-to-his-father

I siged the petition.. I was outraged after watching this story last friday.. and i'll be honest it gave me more than a moment of pause as someone who has a young child and who is in the midst of a divorce from a foreign national.. i havent shaken that feeling yet though I dont beleive little opme is at much risk at the moment due to her fathers current romantic involvement with another american. I cant beleive the efforts that David has had to go thru simply to gain access and uphold his and Seans god given rights.. everyone is so busy fighting in courts and each other that they have forgotten about the little boy and what his rights are.. he has a right to see his father and live with his father not a non blood relation who in effect is an abductor who is aiding and abetting the orginal kidnapper who happened to be the childs mother. I suspect that she will feel the sting of that now..
The statement from the courts that pushed me way over the edge was when they agreed that Sean was illegally kept and should have been returned years before but since he had been there so long and was now adjusted that they the court decided it was in Seans interest that he now stay in Brazil .. what kind of F"D up logic is that?? its freaing outrageous..
There ought be penalties to all parties, grandparents, stepparents etc that were complicit in this kidnapping

I watched the Dateline videos today and sit here with tears streaming down my face. I signed the petition earlier today and have sent out some emails to my senators and representative. I figured it's the least I could do. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to send an email to the judges (and their emails are listed on the website) but I'm afraid I might say the wrong thing. My heart just aches for this Dad! :( Keeping my :crossfingers: that something positive will happen for David and Sean soon.

OPME - I pray that you don't ever have to face with this Dad is.

I hope the Brazilian Government soon realizes how idiotic is sounds to say that 'the child has been here long enough and has adjusted well so he should stay'. Okay, that's like telling a child abductor (custodial or otherwise) to take a child to Brazil, wait out the first year and the child should be adjusted to his/her new surroundings. GMAB! It is f'd up and beyond outrageous. It is criminal! And to think this step-father is a family law attorney (probably the one who filed the divorce) and his father has given speeches on The Hague Convention.

I'm bumping this before it falls to Page 2.

I hope you all will sign the petition to bring this little boy home to his Daddy.

I saw this on Dateline...my heart was broken. :( I hope Sean comes home to his hot daddy soon :) He looks so much like him too! The whole case doesn't make any sense....there are so many things wrong here :(

Below is a section of an email I received that was sent to the supporters of David Goldman (Sean's Daddy):

David is now in Brazil for a hearing today with Judge Luis Felipe Salomão, Superior Tribunal de Justiça, who announced a ruling requiring "mediation" between David and João Paulo Lins e Silva. We're all very hopeful that this trip will mark a turning point in this case and at the very least we are praying that David will be permitted to see his son.

It gets better, but we have to go back to last Friday night; U.S. Congressman Chris Smith of New Jersey’s 4th Congressional District saw the NBC Dateline story and contacted David for a meeting. The Congressman promised to do all he could to help. David does not live in the 4th Congressional district but Congressman Smith is well known in New Jersey as a stand up guy who will go the extra mile for people. Congressman Smith is with David in Brazil right now and will be with him every step of the way! The added benefit is that the US Embassy will be providing a diplomatic security detail.

On Wednesday February 4th in the House of Representatives, Congressman Smith, a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, entered House resolution 125 regarding Sean’s abduction. A transcript of H. RES 125 is online at
http://bringseanhome.org/hr125.html.

IT IS VITAL that additional members of the House become co-sponsors of the resolution for it to have full impact. There is no reason why your Congressman should not sign up. Please email, write, telephone or fax your Congressman/woman and ask them to become a co-sponsor. Find their contact information at
http://www.house.gov.

--------------------------------
Please contact your Congressman/woman and ask them to co-sponsor House Resolution 125....show your support for returning this child home to his Daddy! Prayers for David, Sean and Congressman Chris Smith of NJ's 4th Congressional District!!!

David was granted visitation rights after a five hour hearing in Brasilia. He will be able to see Sean in Rio within a relatively short period of time, possibly as early as Monday, assuming all parties cooperate. Congressman Chris Smith will accompany David on this visitation and Embassy staff will be there as well. All of the law suits filed by the Lins e Silvas against David have been stayed for 60 days. David will also have the right to visit Sean in the future as long as he gives appropriate advance notice.

The important aspect of the visitation agreement is that the Hague application for Sean’s return is not affected by this visitation ruling. Judge Salamão will make his decision on the jurisdictional issue (state versus federal) within two weeks. Hopefully, at that point the case will remain in the federal courts and we will get a swift return order for Sean to be sent home, which we all agree needs to happen quickly.

There were many aspects of this mediation hearing that we found troubling, and many things said about David that were unfair and unfounded, but the good news is that it looks very promising for David to see Sean FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4.5 YEARS, so this decision must be viewed as a positive first step. Of course David’s goal, and the goal for all of us, is for this to lead to full custody for David and for father and son to be reunited as soon as possible.

http://bringseanhome.org/wordpress/

According to MSNBC, who spoke with Congressman Smith, David Goldman was allowed to visit with his son Sean today in Brazil. They spent time shooting hoops, splashing in the pool and just hugging. :dance:

It makes me want to cry...okay, I already cried!

I'm just so happy for David and Sean and hope and pray that they are reunited forever soon!

http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2009/02/09/update-on-an-story-we-covered-on-the-record-at-10pm/

A New Jersey man saw his 8-year-old son in Brazil on Monday for the first time in 4 1/2 years, shooting baskets and splashing in a pool with him, according to a congressman who is trying to help reunite them permanently.

U.S. Rep. Christopher Smith described the reunion between David Goldman and his son, Sean, in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from Rio de Janiero. Smith said he attended the reunion for security reasons.

Great news!! Such a sad story that might have a happy ending after all!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29117722/?GT1=43001

“It was the most beautiful thing I’ve seen since his birth. It was incredible. Amazing. I got to see my son,” David Goldman told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday by phone from Brazil.

(Video available at the link - you can hear how emotional David is about his reunion with his son.) :cry: :hug: I'm sure they are both on :cloud9:

“It was the most beautiful thing I’ve seen since his birth. It was incredible. Amazing. I got to see my son,” David Goldman told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday by phone from Brazil.

(Video available at the link - you can hear how emotional David is about his reunion with his son.) :cry: :hug: I'm sure they are both on :cloud9:

This mornings updates brought me to tears.. I was so moved by David and his raw emotions and the obvious joy but trepidation he was feeling in his visit with Sean. I think when Sean fianlly comes home and learns of the true devoption and the extreme efforts his father has gone thru to be with him or at minimum to spend time with him.. i dont think Sean will ever have one moment of doubt of the depth of his fathers love for him. I am just praying that the wheels of justice move swiftly for David but with caution and care for Sean. Its obvious that David continues to do what is in seans best interest based on his tempered greeting and bring photos and momentos from home that will remind Sean of that time oh so long ago.

Sean asked his dad why it took so long to visit him. “That was very painful,” Goldman said. “I saw the anguish on his face.”

I am so happy Sean remembered his Dad. I think Sean's comment is a positive sign for David to regain custody of Sean.

I sure hope he gets to find out how much his father did for him. His mom, IMO, was :furious: not a good person. I never saw (nor did she allege) an ounce of abuse in that family, so there goes the typical excuse. She just wanted him, wanted him in Brazil, and wanted things her way. Spoiled brat. IMO of course. Karma at work here in a way.

I sure hope he gets to find out how much his father did for him. His mom, IMO, was :furious: not a good person. I never saw (nor did she allege) an ounce of abuse in that family, so there goes the typical excuse. She just wanted him, wanted him in Brazil, and wanted things her way. Spoiled brat. IMO of course. Karma at work here in a way.

I'm so with you here. I watched the story and really found myself thinking isn't karma a b*tch? I sort of felt evil thinking it, but this woman selfishly took this boy away from his father and it so ironic that she would also also be have her children tragically torn from her. I could hear in her message to him that she was obviously exasperated with life in New Jersey and it seemed like the father wasn't hearing her. After all, she met a model in Milan and was studying fashion and ends up teaching elementary school in the NJ suburbs. But the father was mostly responsible for the boy and just to snatch him like that to Brazil and then cut him off entirely when you find a new substitute dad is just beyond cruel. I am currently happily married to my baby's father, but I cannot imagine that things would ever change that I would cut off contact between them for any reason (other than abuse). The children are the ones who suffer here.

I'm so with you here. I watched the story and really found myself thinking isn't karma a b*tch? I sort of felt evil thinking it, but this woman selfishly took this boy away from his father and it so ironic that she would also also be have her children tragically torn from her. I could hear in her message to him that she was obviously exasperated with life in New Jersey and it seemed like the father wasn't hearing her. After all, she met a model in Milan and was studying fashion and ends up teaching elementary school in the NJ suburbs. But the father was mostly responsible for the boy and just to snatch him like that to Brazil and then cut him off entirely when you find a new substitute dad is just beyond cruel. I am currently happily married to my baby's father, but I cannot imagine that things would ever change that I would cut off contact between them for any reason (other than abuse). The children are the ones who suffer here.

Glad someone agrees with me!! :silenced:

You are right on! In fact, David has audio (from recorded phone conversations) where his wife said he was a great husband and the most wonderful father she could ask for her son. However, she wanted him out of her life so that she could return home to her rich family. Afterall, she was in America and had no nannies, chauffers, etc. Not to mention, she had to work (gasp!)

I will never understand how someone feels they have the power to steal something as precious as a child from their loved ones.

Isn't it amazing how this guy has been fighting for this for years? Constantly being thwarted, but suddenly when the Dateline and the mainstream media picked up, then the Brazilian courts started paying attention to those snarky things called law and enforcement of those laws. Ridiculous! How the American government was up in arms about this years ago is scary! I know we have wars and all, but this really is a travesty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back