AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. I'm just starved for info as this hits so close to home. I'm praying like heck that she is alive and its some huge odd misunderstanding gone wrong or something. Something other than a totally random stranger kidnapping. Probably a typical reaction when something like this hits a small town super safe kind of place. :(

I actually just had a thought while I was processing this. I wonder if they have canvased anyone in the drug crowd. I'm sure they have but I have a personal connection to someone who is a hard core heroine addict and I'm going to see if I can get in touch with him and make sure he knows about all of this and if he's heard anything to make sure he has reported it. Sadly often people who do bad things hang out with people who do bad things and that often leads down a path of drug and alcohol use. I wonder if there is any info out there in that kind of quiet unseen part of our city that hasn't come out yet. You never know who IK could have been connected to or talked to outside of his work.

It has been in the 40s for about a week and things are melting fast. Id say we are now probably down to the melt point of when she went missing, or a bit lower, so maybe some new evidence will be found now that we are thawing out.

I understand. I'm just starved for info as this hits so close to home. I'm praying like heck that she is alive and its some huge odd misunderstanding gone wrong or something. Something other than a totally random stranger kidnapping. Probably a typical reaction when something like this hits a small town super safe kind of place. :(

I actually just had a thought while I was processing this. I wonder if they have canvased anyone in the drug crowd. I'm sure they have but I have a personal connection to someone who is a hard core heroine addict and I'm going to see if I can get in touch with him and make sure he knows about all of this and if he's heard anything to make sure he has reported it. Sadly often people who do bad things hang out with people who do bad things and that often leads down a path of drug and alcohol use. I wonder if there is any info out there in that kind of quiet unseen part of our city that hasn't come out yet. You never know who IK could have been connected to or talked to outside of his work.

It has been in the 40s for about a week and things are melting fast. Id say we are now probably down to the melt point of when she went missing, or a bit lower, so maybe some new evidence will be found now that we are thawing out.
IK seems like a lone wolf type, but you never know. It would've been hard to accomplish what it appears he did in a relatively short time period without help. One thing I've learned over the years is that when it comes to crime, questions that leave most of us scratching our heads are common knowledge in the underground.

So why would police go remove the shed late at night? Do they get a warrant and then like go immediately whenever it is that they get the warrant? We are light until about 8:45 pm here, there is plenty of time to get it in daylight. Just wondering how that all works with getting property etc. Were they maybe trying to avoid media? Seems odd you'd go retrieve a whole shed in the snow, in the dark, at like 11pm. KWIM?

I'm praying like heck that she is alive and its some huge odd misunderstanding gone wrong or something.
SBM

That's what I'm wishing too. I always try to picture the best case scenario and go from there. I'm still very hopeful. Teenagers are so impressionable.

So why would police go remove the shed late at night? Do they get a warrant and then like go immediately whenever it is that they get the warrant? We are light until about 8:45 pm here, there is plenty of time to get it in daylight. Just wondering how that all works with getting property etc. Were they maybe trying to avoid media? Seems odd you'd go retrieve a whole shed in the snow, in the dark, at like 11pm. KWIM?

My first post here, but I'm also a local and think I can give my opinion on the removal. I would think they moved the shed at night to minimize the gawking, press, impressionable little eyes of the neighborhood.

I was also thinking about the lack of information about IK, and then thought about our own neighborhood. We been in our house for 12 years and know probably 1/3 of our neighbors by name & to chat on occasion , but the others are more stay to themselves types of people. I'm sure they have their own circle of friends, but with the long winters with the lack of daylight, snow and temps, people normally don't do much out in their yards except shovel and hustle into the car. Summertime most are out and about doing all the things in the great outdoors they couldn't do during the winter. Fishing, hiking, vacations and if your business is in construction, after break-up, you are busy until winter again.

There's also the Cheechako factor, many Alaskans don't worry about getting to know newcomers since a lot of times they can't handle the climate/isolation/darkness and are back in the lower 48 after one or two winters.

My first post here, but I'm also a local and think I can give my opinion on the removal. I would think they moved the shed at night to minimize the gawking, press, impressionable little eyes of the neighborhood.

True but apparently that didn't work too well. The street filled with media and my friend who lives in the area said the beeping of the truck, the lights, the press, and people in general pretty much woke the neighborhood.

Here is a timeline of IK up until his arrest, from info I've gathered.

1/7/78 IK was born. Place of birth unknown.
According to this article he grew up Mormon in Utah and was home schooled: http://www.ktva.com/news/samantha-koenig-abduction/Who-is-Israel-Keyes-143417766.html

1994 approx. He built a cabin in Colville, WA when he was 16. Some time after that he helps build a cabin designed by his sisters in Houlton, ME. Info gathered from this photo in a directory but not published on his website: http://keyesconstruction.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/web_pics.15215524

1995-1997 according to his website: Worked for a General Contractor by the name of Kelly Harris in Colville, WA. on a seven man crew. Building approximatly 6 duplex/spec. Stick frame and log homes a year. http://keyesconstruction.net/work_history

Oct 1997 he buys 10 acres of land in Constable, NY for $15,000 which he still owns. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/511-Poplar-St-Constable-NY-12926/30442741_zpid/
http://franklincony.org/content/Dep...ld=documents;/content/Documents/File/2138.pdf

1998-2000 His SS on public court documents starts with 127-86-*advertiser censored*. If the SS# info is correct, he got his SS# in NY around 1998. According to his website: Served three years in the Army Infantry and was stationed in Ft. Lewis, Ft Hood, and Sianai, Egypt. Honorable discharge in June 2000.

2/7/01 gets a DUI on Ft. Lewis, plea agreement signed June 4, 2001.

2002 according to statements made at his arraignment, IK has a ten year old daughter who would have been born around 2002.

2001-2007 according to his website, IK works for the Makah Tribe in Neah Bay, WA.

2006 runs a marathon in Olympia, WA.

2007 IK moves to Alaska.

2009 IKs girlfriend KA buys house on Spurr Lane where they live together. He remodels extensively according to neighbors.
This is good, ConnectedSuitor. It's a protrait of a man who's spent a lifetime acquiring the knowledge and skills to survive apart from society. That's all we really know about him other than the fact that he was motivated by money.

I'm kind of stuck on the theory that he had a plan to take off for parts unknown, but needed to get his hands on some money first. I think the guy who praised his work is the one who said he talked about bringing his daughter to Alaska. So maybe there were custody issues and he was going to abduct the child, take her away to live in a hidden locale. That's not so farfetched. He'd need some cash to sustain them for awhile. Maybe part of the money would be paid to a community that would help him hide out. That theory works pretty well until you try to fit Sam into it. Unless, he wanted money so badly that he hired himself out as a paid . But by whom? And why?

True but apparently that didn't work too well. The street filled with media and my friend who lives in the area said the beeping of the truck, the lights, the press, and people in general pretty much woke the neighborhood.

I'm sure it was not a silent operation, but at 10 pm, the local news has already started, so that would make it difficult to find out and get someone out there in time for broadcast. Plus the kids are usually asleep or at the very least, inside for the night.

Hi, akmom02. Welcome! I totally agree with you. I think the purpose of moving the shed in the first place was to have the time to analyze it without cameras and gawkers getting in the way. I can appreciate how the residents felt being disturbed at 11:00 at night. The disruption might've lasted for days, though, if LE had given the shed a thorough going over on site. :moo:

:welcome5:

Thank you Bessie for the warm welcome. I have been reading a lot of the theories on this forum since I found it a couple of weeks ago. I'm so glad to have found others who are as perplexed as I have been since Samanthas disappearance by the twists and turns and people who have emerged from seemingly nowhere.

Hi, akmom02. Welcome! I totally agree with you. I think the purpose of moving the shed in the first place was to have the time to analyze it without cameras and gawkers getting in the way. I can appreciate how the residents felt being disturbed at 11:00 at night. The disruption might've lasted for days, though, if LE had given the shed a thorough going over on site. :moo:

:welcome5:

This caught my eye in a recent news story:

A man participating in the Friday night seizure at Spurr Lane, a dead-end street off of Clay Products Drive near West Northern Lights Boulevard, confirmed the dozen or so plainclothes men and women there were with the FBI. He declined to comment further, and the FBI personnel did not respond to questions.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/160579#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Maybe some of the agents involved are undercover, or wish to keep a low profile at the very least. That might explain doing this operation under the cover of night.

Thanks Ransom. My impression was that they had done kind of a neighborhood canvasing, knocking on doors, etc. not like a people walking through the snow filled field two feet apart from one another kind of search. Thanks for clarifying.

That was my impression as well. The community did searches, but, it was not an organized search, like with blood hounds, graph charts, etc. And it took a while to get started.

This is good, ConnectedSuitor. It's a protrait of a man who's spent a lifetime acquiring the knowledge and skills to survive apart from society. That's all we really know about him other than the fact that he was motivated by money.

I'm kind of stuck on the theory that he had a plan to take off for parts unknown, but needed to get his hands on some money first. I think the guy who praised his work is the one who said he talked about bringing his daughter to Alaska. So maybe there were custody issues and he was going to abduct the child, take her away to live in a hidden locale. That's not so farfetched. He'd need some cash to sustain them for awhile. Maybe part of the money would be paid to a community that would help him hide out. That theory works pretty well until you try to fit Sam into it. Unless, he wanted money so badly that he hired himself out as a paid . But by whom? And why?

Bessie, I have thought that the daughter angle as well. Wouldn't there be court cases in a civil repository in some state for custody issues?

I don't know who here has followed the baby Lisa Irwin case, but for a while, a man named Jersey was suspected by some to have taken her. I thought he was guilty for a while, I thought maybe he was hired by his own drug dealer or something to take her for some kind of debt her parents owed him. He was known as the handyman in the neighborhood, to make money, of which he obviously did not have a lot.

Anyways, sorry, back to Sam, discussion of IK has got me thinking about Jersey. A lot of the same theories I had about him, I think fit here as well. They both seem like they have somewhat innocent backgrounds, though IK is more of a loner. I really think IK is a small fish in a way bigger pond, and somehow he ended up being the only person caught.

Sure, Lucy. The actual transcripts would be sealed, though.

From my experience late evenings/late nights are common for removal of larger items. Protecting undercover cops is a good one except that most reporters that have done a cop beat for a while know them - the person in charge talking to the media will often explain they are undercover cops and ask to not get photos that can identify them. I have often sent photos to my department before going to print to ensure this doesn't happen. While the media wants to break a story we really don't want to screw up an investigation - that is a ticket to being cut off from future breaks.

As for a comment in an earlier thread (not sure who I didn't get in here yesterday just catching up) about whole items like sheds being taken - I have seen it a million times. Really it is no different to a computer, a couch, a car - except bigger. They are taken to a controlled area - no weather to contend with, they can walk away and come back later without having it watched 24/7 by a patrol officer- just locked in a shed. Initial searches are down at the place it originated for outdoor type evidence, once that is complete and they have reason to believe there is more to it - they take it.

Welcome to the new sleuthers!

Ohhh and one other thing - Sam's purse WAS on a poster but then it was claimed to have been found and not the purse she had. That could mean she had another purse and no one knows which one or a huge clue and they wanted it retracted, or it was found, provided clues so they just say it has been found to stop people looking.

The police have never said they have her phone - that is unusual. If they said they did have it then everyone would be happy and no traces could be made. If they admitted they didn't have it, meaning Sam or her abductor had it then there would be an outcry to trace it. (which they may have done and thus have said they beoieve she is alive.

Sam's dad said he called and called and called on the Thursday with no answer, those calls could be traced, so why havene't the police said that those calls were traced to the coffee shop or, if they had it to their office? We know they didn't have it because they didn't approach the coffee shop until the Friday and then looked over the security tape.
Sam's father said it went straight to voicemail Thursday afternoon because the battery was dead. It was also go straight to voicemail when the phone is switched off, when the battery is removed as well as gone dead.

So what if the abductor had the phone, it rings consistently, he knows he can be traced so switches it off but keeps it.

This is where my ransom theory comes in. What if he kept the phone, contacted JK with it, demands money, turns the phone off after the call. JK may have told police but has said in earlier comments that he would NOT involve the police and hand over reward money. JK can get Sam's phone bill showing where the texts were made from (as can the police) - initially made in Anchorage to they believe she is there. Place funds in the account, with drawn by, we assume IK, which is enough to get him to lower 48 where he withdraws more, JK assumes still in anchorage until bill comes in and he sees Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The phone could still be being used and switched off/ battery removed and until the bill comes in they have no idea where from but assume Anchorage.

I know this because I have done it many a time LOL (not with this case - personal/professional reasons)

Moo

Ohhhh and taking them at night, around the 9pm 10 pm mark is excellent, news casts are over. Friday night are an extra bargain because no investigators have to answer the phone- it's the weekend, and while they are still working they can say it is a day off.

Tricky little blighters no? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member