LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the picture identified as a truck traveling in the same direction as Mickey. It has to be St. Landry, but I'm not recognizing it. Looks like a pedestrian on the sidewalk walking toward the direction of the truck.

I was on St. Landry today, I feel like I should recognize this with no problem!

University Av. going North.

The new photo of the white truck ^^^ was taken from University Av going North just north of the intersection w/ St. Landry by the cemetery.. I went to college in Lafayette, and confirmed this on Google Maps.

EDIT to include URL: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lafayette,la&hl=en&ll=30.221431,-92.024601&spn=0.001873,0.008256&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.086946,135.263672&hnear=Lafayette,+Louisiana&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=30.221432,-92.024601&panoid=nA2C2vj0mEgUNeSWIEZjCQ&cbp=11,305.85,,0,8.77

But they said it was traveling in the same direction as Mickey, and she did not travel on University except to cross it.

I am so confused!

The second picture of the car seems to be taken by the same camera, it is driving in the opposite direction.

The bolded above---very good point.

I have been wondering why they took her bike. But it is possible they just grabbed her and left her bike behind, and then someone came along and stole it. If so, I would really hope that eventually they come forward to admit that. But if they are homeless and/ or do not read the papers or watch the news, they might not know about it, so we might never know.

Yes it is a very viable scenario, to me, considering the knowledge of my immediate area, which frustrates me. Robberies and break-ins have become more prevalent, in recent years, especially among the residential area of the Saints Streets (which was the direction she was traveling). Although the area is more "biker friendly", it is poorly lit and I do consider it dangerous at night.

I understand that Mickey was an experienced cyclist, as well as the other BikeLafayette members. However, I am always bothered to see cyclists ride in my neighborhood after dark, considering that most of my friends and people my age are quick to be unassuming of immediate danger.

But they said it was traveling in the same direction as Mickey, and she did not travel on University except to cross it.

I am so confused!

The second picture of the car seems to be taken by the same camera, it is driving in the opposite direction.

Look at the link to Google in my edited post, and go to street view. The truck is driving North on University in front of St. John's cemetary.

I think the picture of the truck with the bed liner (the one that we seem to agree is driving N on University past the cemetery) shows the same truck as the picture that was released last night. If you look closely at the initial picture, it's very possible that the "person in the truck" that people keep seeing (I don't) is just reflections of light off a bed cover. I think it may well be the same truck. It passed the opposite way of Mickey, turned left, got picked up on the Southwest Insurance cam just a block away. That's my current theory, at any rate. Look at the picture again (and especially look at the way the camera seems to be spreading the headlights on the second truck; it spreads the taillight the same way on the first truck, causing an optical illusion that makes it look like the truck has no tailgate).

Seems we all are in agreement now that it is most likely that Mickey was abducted....and we understand those statistics. Some cases defy those....however....fill in the blank.

And saying all that, I hope Mickey is found, safe or not. Her family and friends need the knowledge of what happened. A predator needs to be convicted.

And if that white truck that comes and goes in front of the Circle K is involved, I wish they would let every member of Websleuths take a sledgehammer to it!

I am so confused!

Ok, I think I understand. The SECOND photo, taken of the truck by the LUS building (by the Circle K) is the one traveling on St. Landry, the same direction as Mickey.

The THIRD photo is of a truck on University.

Is that right?

I think the picture of the truck with the bed liner (the one that we seem to agree is driving N on University past the cemetery) shows the same truck as the picture that was released last night. If you look closely at the initial picture, it's very possible that the "person in the truck" that people keep seeing (I don't) is just reflections of light off a bed cover. I think it may well be the same truck. It passed the opposite way of Mickey, turned left, got picked up on the Southwest Insurance cam just a block away. That's my current theory, at any rate. Look at the picture again (and especially look at the way the camera seems to be spreading the headlights on the second truck; it spreads the taillight the same way on the first truck, causing an optical illusion that makes it look like the truck has no tailgate).

I think you are right.

This truck is heading north on University in front of the graveyard. This is about two blocks north of St. Landry Street.
fxuryw.jpg

Here's a Google streetview image in the same spot:
sIRH3.png

Here's a streetview image of the business that recorded the truck:
u1PGM.png

Here's the streetview link:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=st+l...=Ym2RLsUWe615SU8xN9Ja1Q&cbp=12,341.36,,0,5.02

In my opinion this does not look like the truck(s) captured on St Landry in front of the Circle K on the St. Landry / University intersection.

The new photo of the white truck ^^^ was taken from University Av going North just north of the intersection w/ St. Landry by the cemetery.. I went to college in Lafayette, and confirmed this on Google Maps.

EDIT to include URL: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lafayette,la&hl=en&ll=30.221431,-92.024601&spn=0.001873,0.008256&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.086946,135.263672&hnear=Lafayette,+Louisiana&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=30.221432,-92.024601&panoid=nA2C2vj0mEgUNeSWIEZjCQ&cbp=11,305.85,,0,8.77

I have to agree with you shanethemaster. Those photos where taken on university. Any idea of the location where the second photo of the the car is shown?

Vote here if you think it would have been wise for LE to have held a press conference today, if for nothing more than to clarify the vehicles the public should be looking for in this case....and to understand which one of these dang vehicles was following Mickey. I mean, if Lafayette citizens are struggling to understand it, imagine the vast confusion of those us who have no idea how the streets are laid out.

This truck is heading north on University in front of the graveyard. This is about two blocks north of St. Landry Street.
fxuryw.jpg

Here's a Google streetview image in the same spot:
sIRH3.png

Here's a streetview image of the business that recorded the truck:
u1PGM.png

Here's the streetview link:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=st+l...=Ym2RLsUWe615SU8xN9Ja1Q&cbp=12,341.36,,0,5.02

In my opinion this does not look like the pictures of the truck(s) captured on St Landry in front of the Circle K.

Thank you. That looks totally different in the daytime.

The bolded above---very good point.

I have been wondering why they took her bike. But it is possible they just grabbed her and left her bike behind, and then someone came along and stole it. If so, I would really hope that eventually they come forward to admit that. But if they are homeless and/ or do not read the papers or watch the news, they might not know about it, so we might never know.

I find this scenario plausible, as well, and I think someone postulated it quite a while back. If some hoodrat took her bike, even if they heard about her disappearance, I would not expect them to come forward. Hoodrats don't contact police.

It's always nice to see so many new members join and participate in the discussions. It is also great to see how much support there is for this missing young woman.
I have seen a few comments through the threads about how cell phones and pings work, I am not an expert, but this is my understanding.
- In order for a cell phone to work, it needs to connect to a cell tower. Once connected, the tower will ping the phone every couple of minutes (time varies) to establish a connection. It is common for cell phones to make contact with several towers at once (triangulation), especially in an urban setting where there are most likely several towers in the area. As the phone moves, the tower(s) pinging the phone can change. When a phone is turned off, it can no longer receive pings.
Sometimes a log of the pings is kept and other times only the last ping received is kept on record. Either way, LE knows or will soon know roughly when and where her phone was turned off.

Great picture. But, I still find it difficult to believe that is a person. Yes, I do see how it is the shape of a person. However, if you compare the size of other known objects in the photo to the "person" it appears that the shape is too small to be human. For instance, the license plate is nearly half the size of the "person" and the tire is about the same size. This is not even taking into account that objects in the distance of the photo (gas station vehicles and such) are going to appear smaller, because they are in the distance, but they are actually bigger than the "person". Jmo, though....

Mickey is only 5'1 that's tiny especially if she's curled up feeling vulnerable maybe questioning herself of her situation

The Vermilion River was been searched heavily the last few days. Yesterday deputies along with a Texas search company called Equusearch, used Sonar to search the bottom of the river.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

The second article at this link also implies that photo #2 of white truck (i.e. the photo of the truck going in the same direction as Mickey) is a different truck than the original suspect truck.

Mickey is only 5'1 that's tiny especially if she's curled up feeling vulnerable maybe questioning herself of her situation

Something that bugs me about saying that is a person is people claiming they can see her leg. She was wearing jeans, so a leg or skin would not be showing if she was sitting there.

Any idea of the location where the second photo of the the car is shown?

It looks like it was taken from a private house or business at or around 224 St. Landry, just a block or so past the gas station, headed away from University. There's a two-story apt. building across the street that can be made out if you "stand" in that spot on Google Street View. I don't know how to upload the pictures.

Vote here if you think it would have been wise for LE to have held a press conference today, if for nothing more than to clarify the vehicles the public should be looking for in this case....and to understand which one of these dang vehicles was following Mickey. I mean, if Lafayette citizens are struggling to understand it, imagine the vast confusion of those us who have no idea how the streets are laid out.

I think LE may have been getting the latest video information about the same time as the presser. Maybe they felt just releasing the info to the media would be more productive and give more resources to the (hopefully) new information the Detectives are getting.

Sometime I feel so impatient being a member here because we gather info, intel and timelines sometimes more quickly than is released to the media and general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288