Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I found a WWI draft card registration for this George Broda--his date of birth is listed as Aug 10, 1900. Eye color is listed as blue and hair as brown.

His address is listed as 325 16th Street Merced. It does appear that there is a middle name, but it is either too faint or was erased for some reason, because it is illegible.

His father is listed as Carlos Broda and his mother (?) is listed as Beatrice Randolph or Radcliff of Merced.

His occupation is listed as cannery labor with Sunlit (?) Fruit Co.

I wish I could see a legible draft registation form because there is so much that I cannot read. It does appear that he is checked as being an alien (from Italy) not a US Citizen. It appears the draft card was stamped Sept 12, 19-- I just cannot read the last two numbers. The info from ancestry states that it is a 1917-1918 draft card.

If anyone has ancestry, here is the link:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/De...56&fn=George&ln=Broda&st=r&ssrc=&pid=20522187

I don't know if this is neither here nor there, but there is also an Ellen G. Broda listed as being born in San Francisco Mar 4, 1967 Probably means nothing but interesting coincidence.

Looks like you and Raf have the same person..... So if there is a draft card, wouldn't there be a SSN somewhere?

I see a listing for an Anna Broda, in Moncalvo, but that would be way too easy, wouldn't it!

Does it say how old she is? If not, is there a way to find out?

Can someone see if this Anna Broda might be on facebook in Italy? I'm not sure how the different countries do this, but I know FB is available in Italy, or is it just like ours here in the states?

Someone refresh my memory, how was it we determined the GBroda was deceased? Did we see a copy of a death cert? Maybe the death info is an error?

I'm confused on how we arrived he was deceased.

His father is listed as Carlos Broda and his mother (?) is listed as Beatrice Randolph or Radcliff of Merced.

~

While googling, I find a Sunlit Fruit Co in Berkeley CA. Merced is not near Berkeley at all. This makes me confused. :banghead:

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030...9jh&brand=calisphere&layout=printable-details

Photo of company off in distance... I have attached the photo found online.

SK

Attachments

• I0025713A.jpg
    I0025713A.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
Someone refresh my memory, how was it we determined the GBroda was deceased? Did we see a copy of a death cert? Maybe the death info is an error?

Hi, here the record abt the death:
Merced County, California Deaths, 1852-1999 about George Broda
Given Name: George
Surname: Broda
Book #: 5
Page: 442
Date Range: 1 May 1918

raf

raf

Raf - What is the source of that record? Did you find it on Ancestry.com??? Can you link it for us?

Is there a facebook page for George Brody??? I haven't been able to find one but it might be helpful to have one to see if anyone recognizes him.

~

While googling, I find a Sunlit Fruit Co in Berkeley CA. Merced is not near Berkeley at all. This makes me confused. :banghead:

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030...9jh&brand=calisphere&layout=printable-details

Photo of company off in distance... I have attached the photo found online.

SK

Merced is in the Central Valley and might be where the fruit was grown. The Berkeley company is probably the distributor.

FWIW, when I looked on ancestry, there were a number of George Broda's listed in the early 1900's. One in particular was from Luzerne County, PA. (Near Wilkes-Barre) I believe he was of Yugoslavian descent.

Broda is not a very common Italian name. If you look for "Broda" in the Italian white pages, there are only 69 results! And several of these are from Moncalvo.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute...cb=8&l=it&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=Broda&qsn=&dv=&ind=

ETA - Of these 69 listings - 11 are company names and 58 are people.

There is also a Dr from Poland named Anna Broda.

quote=Bern;5123328]I see a listing for an Anna Broda, in Moncalvo, but that would be way too easy, wouldn't it![/quote]

Not necessarily. Social Security did not kick in until the 1930's under FDR.

Looks like you and Raf have the same person..... So if there is a draft card, wouldn't there be a SSN somewhere?

Good question Cubby. I could not find a death notice for him at all on ancestry.

There are quite a few Anna Broda's on Facebook. Most do not have any photos listed, and they all seem to have foreign schools that they attended. There are also quite a few Anna Brody's.

raf
raf - I cannot find this record anywhere on ancestry! Can you link it? I have a subscription so I would be able to see.

Pink, I believe that the problem is your key search, for that you cannot find it...
On ancestry.com you can find the death record so:
first name: George
last name: Broda
please no match all terms exactly
death: 1918
match the term exactly
and the first result that you will have is:
Merced County, California Deaths, 1852-1999

Birth, Marriage & Death

Preview

See more

Name: George Broda
Death: 1 May 1918
click on and you can read the record
bye,
raf

Pink, I believe that the problem is your key search, for that you cannot find it...
On ancestry.com you can find the death record so:
first name: George
last name: Broda
please no match all terms exactly
death: 1918
match the term exactly
and the first result that you will have is:
Merced County, California Deaths, 1852-1999

Birth, Marriage & Death

Preview

See more

Death: 1 May 1918
click on and you can read the record
bye,
raf
I finally managed to find it raf! Thanks. (Ancestry is quite odd about how it pulls up information, isn't it!)

Now this is really quite strange. It matches up with the Merced County Geoge Broda...But then he went on to appear in other documents??? I'll keep snooping on this one.

Yes Pink, he appearing in 1920 census:
1920 United States Federal Census
about George Broda
Home in 1920: Merced, Merced, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Birthplace: California
Relation to Head of House: Roomer
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Image: 661
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William F Rowell 43
Minnie E Rowell 34
Alice A Rowell 11
Aurora Rowell 9
Virginia Rowell 4
George Broda 19
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2...eorgebroda.jpg
and it is very strange... now the options are two:
-or the true italian George Borda ( but born with Giuseppe first name and changed in George), really died in 1918 and who appearing in 1920 census is another person that taken the true and decesead George Broda identity;

-or the death record of 1918 is wrong in some way..
however this fact is strange....
raf

raf, the above link is not working. Can you check it?

Thank you!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth