IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat OT but my camp's slogan is "where friends become family" and I couldn't imagine my life without my camp friends. To offset the cost after my first summer, my mom worked at our camp as a nurse for 8 SUMMERS. It truly became a family affair, and my camp friends have become my family and will always be like that.

(stands quietly over here, applauding your incredibly awesome mom)

Somewhat OT but my camp's slogan is "where friends become family" and I couldn't imagine my life without my camp friends. To offset the cost after my first summer, my mom worked at our camp as a nurse for 8 SUMMERS. It truly became a family affair, and my camp friends have become my family and will always be like that.

BBM

Do you believe this to be a common sentiment? I wonder if it could be playing a part in the silence seen in this case.

She is amazing. I should mention I am a twin so she is even more awesome. She continued coming even when I was a first year staff member. Her fellow camp nurses have become her best friend, she calls them "her bunk"

Basically I'm defending camp so much because I believe in my heart that LS is a very sweet, smart and passionate girl. I know through friends that she is everything CS has said and more, a true friend that would do anything for you. I believe camp made LS this way. Unfortunately Smallwood is a place that attracts a lot of people who run in the party and drug circles, I know that she partied hard, and with people who did the same. It is easy to fall into the party scene here at IU, just like any other big college (or any college for that matter), it seems to me that LS just partied too hard that night and found herself in compromising positions. We've all been there in one way or another.

BBM

Do you believe this to be a common sentiment? I wonder if it could be playing a part in the silence seen in this case.

Yes absolutely I do. I just don't understand your question about it playing part in the silence? The majority of POIs are not LS camp friends. Can you explain your connection?

Yes absolutely I do. I just don't understand your question about it playing part in the silence? The majority of POIs are not LS camp friends. Can you explain your connection?

I was alluding to the possibility of helping to cover up for "family" or remain tight lipped about their possible involvement.

I was eluding to the possibility of helping to cover up for "family" or remain tight lipped about their possible involvement.

No, absolutely not. I think that the opposite would be true, camp friends would feel obligated to Lauren and her family (the parents of camp friends become 2nd moms and dads). I think that if any of her camp friends who may be involved (who besides HT?) knew anything beyond what is already known to LE then they would be speaking up, shouting from the rooftops! All of the guys that L was with that night are NOT camp friends, and honestly don't seem like the nicest guys. Bloomington in the summer is different, many friends leave for the summer and there is a limited group of people to hang out with. I think THIS FACT contributed to LS's night, she was not with her closest friends or the people who would look out for her, as far as I'm concerned.

No, absolutely not. I think that the opposite would be true, camp friends would feel obligated to Lauren and her family (the parents of camp friends become 2nd moms and dads). I think that if any of her camp friends who may be involved (who besides HT?) knew anything beyond what is already known to LE then they would be speaking up, shouting from the rooftops! All of the guys that L was with that night are NOT camp friends, and honestly don't seem like the nicest guys. Bloomington in the summer is different, many friends leave for the summer and there is a limited group of people to hang out with. I think THIS FACT contributed to LS's night, she was not with her closest friends or the people who would look out for her, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I was referring to the other people with her and their connections to each other, not their connection to LS. JR, for example, went away to camp. If he has the same family bond with a person involved, might it explain why he would be reluctant to come forward.

I've wondered about that, Alliecog -- and I'm glad you reminded me that it was summer...

I would think that LS would have had a group of friends from the fashion design school. I know that when I was in university, often our friend group was from within our department because we spent so much time together.... so I have wondered why those friends haven't come forward with info... but many of them were probably not in town -- that makes more sense to me now...

Sorry, I was referring to the other people with her and their connections to each other, not their connection to LS. JR, for example, went away to camp. If he has the same family bond with a person involved, might it explain why he would be reluctant to come forward.

I guess that could be a possibility, but I do not recall how all those guys knew each other... I honestly don't know what to think about JR. I just think that he has more to explain.

well... I'm NEVER there at 4:30am (I always leave by 3!! :floorlaugh: ), but I understand that it's kind of a "hangout" place for BPD at night...

Maybe BPD hangout there to prevent the type of problems that sometimes are associated with WH parking lots. For LS to be abducted as she walked from 11th to 10th on College Ave would then seem less likely.

I guess that could be a possibility, but I do not recall how all those guys knew each other... I honestly don't know what to think about JR. I just think that he has more to explain.

And I'm just thinking more abstractly. For the record, I don't believe that any of the named POI's have a camp connection to each other. But, I am under the impression that it was a camp connection that brought JR together with his 4 roommates (yes, I realize none of them were there that night). It's my opinion that there were a lot more unnamed people present at one time or another that night, and for whatever reason, the details of the night are being kept guarded. Just trying to probe for another possible motivation for not being forthcoming.

Maybe BPD hangout there to prevent the type of problems that sometimes are associated with WH parking lots. For LS to be abducted as she walked from 11th to 10th on College Ave would then seem less likely.

Waffle House provides a huge LE discount. It is definitely not work when they go there judging by the amount of 10-7's heard on the radio.

Interesting and insightful.

CS does a lot of thinking out loud. I am almost in overload mode with all the info of late. I don't know how she stays sane. At the concert the other night she asked the crowd their motivation for being there. Free food? Course assignment?, etc. It was taken out of context by some, and I don't know the context because I was gone by then, but she's definitely a Seeker.

Yes, the WH has easy access to Old 37 North. However, if this is a WH perp and not a POI, all bets are off as to destination.

That's the thing about a random abduction, no doubt.

It seems like she thinks and processes on a spatial level, taking it all in. I can't imagine ... she must be beyond exhausted. Being a Seeker will help her through, though.

She reminds me of a father in the other case I follow. He took the county I grew up in to court to get case files released. And he won. I can't see her backing down, either.

I'm sorry but I have to STRONGLY disagree with you about your summer camp claim. I have attended and worked at a summer camp (for 13 years, over half my life!) very similar to LS and know many people who have attended her camp. These camps provide kids with incredible role models, a support system and a lifelong family. Camps have a zero tolerance policy about drug use and drinking, I have seen friends and former counselors fired from my camp for such things. These camps can attract families with money since it is so expensive to send a child away to camp for a month or two, so it is possible that these kids when they grow up into young adults have the resources to drink and do expensive drugs (cocaine, etc). Summer camps, backpacking and such do not cause or contribute to drug and alcohol abuse.

To get fired for substance-related offenses, we must assume that they were actually perpetrating such offenses (in most cases).
If those rules exist, then they must exist for a reason.

The camp I went to (@11 & 12 yo) did not have any drug problem but the counselors were a bit on the cool side. They were the types that just might pass around drugs if they had the opportunity. They were a bit hostile, too. One time my hiking group got lost in the woods, and we missed dinner. They gave us some cans of food, but no can opener. They didn't care that we just went hungry that night -- it was a joke to them. Lots of small similar incidents occurred. My sister fell and cut her head on a rock (but not a terribly serious injury). My parents found out from me! I wrote home that day that I had visited her in the infirmary. The counselors just weren't quite trustworthy. It is out-of-business now, probably sued out. But the camp had a wonderful rep and most people loved it and considered it "family." Go figure.

Of course, today's camps are much more lawsuit conscious, but still, should parents trust anyone who wants to take charge of their children for a prolonged period of time without any compelling reason? After all, outdoor sports are available anywhere these days. JMO: Seems likely that the "partying" started at the camp.

To get fired for substance-related offenses, we must assume that they were actually perpetrating such offenses (in most cases).
If those rules exist, then they must exist for a reason.

The camp I went to (@11 & 12 yo) did not have any drug problem but the counselors were a bit on the cool side. They were the types that just might pass around drugs if they had the opportunity. They were a bit hostile, too. One time my hiking group got lost in the woods, and we missed dinner. They gave us some cans of food, but no can opener. They didn't care that we just went hungry that night -- it was a joke to them. Lots of small similar incidents occurred. My sister fell and cut her head on a rock (but not a terribly serious injury). My parents found out from me! I wrote home that day that I had visited her in the infirmary. The counselors just weren't quite trustworthy. It is out-of-business now, probably sued out. But the camp had a wonderful rep and most people loved it and considered it "family." Go figure.

Of course, today's camps are much more lawsuit conscious, but still, should parents trust anyone who wants to take charge of their children for a prolonged period of time without any compelling reason? After all, outdoor sports are available anywhere these days. JMO: Seems likely that the "partying" started at the camp.

I think the "compelling reason" is a very high price tag, these camps are not cheap, IMO.

Walker, I'm sorry you had a negative experience at camp. Yes I know people who tried to get away with drinking and smoking pot on nights out, returning to camp and then getting fired. I just can't believe that the partying started AT camp. Parents send their kids to camp to socialize with other kids, gain independence, learn new skills, embrace the outdoors, disconnect from television, computers, video games etc. That is what compels them.

Why should parents not trust organizations that provide their kids with life skills outside the classroom? I don't understand your skepticism about camps, aside from your own experience. Sounds to me like you had some counselors that most camps would NEVER hire.

Edit: also, as far as the price tag goes many camps provide scholarships and grants for families who cannot afford to pay the price of overnight camp. I know my camp sends over 100 kids to camp every summer for free, and many more on scholarships. Camp is not only for the wealthy. I should also add that counselors do not make a lot of money, especially their first few years on staff. Not only that, but it is a 24 hour a day job with very few days off and little downtime. This is definitely a deterrent for those partying types.

I seem to recall BPD used to hang out at the WH to grab a bite to eat or coffee on their break late at night/early morning.

Also, unless something has changed, the Bloomington Waffle House is not like the Waffle House's you see along the Interstate. The ones with the yellow and black signs that are designed like little diners. Indiana used to have several Waffle Houses that were not at part of that 'yellow and black' chain. In fact in Indiana what most people outside of the state know as Waffle Houses were called Waffle-Steaks (probably due to a trademark issue but I'm just guessing). The Indiana Waffle Houses were usually more like a mom and pop Denny's.... for lack of a better description. And I remember them more as downtown restaurants, not located on Interstates. They were more of a relaxed setting than the hustle and bustle of the yellow and black Waffle-Steak/Waffle Houses... which is why it makes more sense that LE would take a break there late at night.

Most of the truck traffic that is passing thru the Bloomington area would bypass downtown and stay on 'new' 37. And there's a Steak and Shake and White Castle that would likely get any trucking business.

the Bloomington Waffle House is not like the Waffle House's you see along the Interstate.....

Most of the truck traffic that is passing thru the Bloomington area would bypass downtown and stay on 'new' 37.

This has been my impression all along. If the Waffle House were as speculated by Walker, including College Ave being an artery for lots of transient thru-traffic, I assume that we would be hearing a lot more about a possible crime of opportunity and a lot less about LS's "friends." The mere fact that SW (and the other College Ave apartments?) is full of rich East Coast kids who feel comfortable walking around in the wee hours of the morning suggests that it's not.

Let me add that while I don't wish to impugn the sort of camps that are being celebrated here, and did not attend one myself, I went to school with many people who did (20 years ago), and heard about a good deal of bad behavior in them.

the article in the herald times re Bo Dietle's involvement includes some pretty good response from the chief of BPD... but I'm concerned about the comments section - especially those from people saying that they've lost respect for CS/RS with their choice of PI...

I would hate to see the community turn their backs on the family...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine