IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. To me, however, it's clear from context what "party" means here.

Quotes are of course left up to the reader to interpret, but I feel pretty confident in saying that HT is not calling LS and her group of friends drug users in that quote.

Interesting, because I heard a rumor that his brother has been posting here.
He, or someone who claimed to be his brother, left two or three posts here.

As for the other matter, I can't put my hands on a link right now, but I do recall a comment or two from a close friend other than HT. Speaking for myself, I was skeptical about the drug use in the beginning. But comments from friends and LE caused me to reconsider. Here are a couple:
She is just a fun and smart girl who loves hanging out and partying. It just went too far this time.
Hadar Tamir at 1:12 in this video
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/search-in-indiana-for-missing-student-from-westchester-20110607

Police for the first time Monday acknowledged that they have received information that college student Lauren Spierer may have overdosed on cocaine and that the student or students who were with her panicked and disposed of her body.

Bloomington police Capt. Joe Qualters, asked by a reporter about these "rumors" during a morning news conference, replied: "Have we heard information along those lines? Absolutely."
But he said detectives had not ruled that possibility, or any other, in or out in their investigation of the missing student.
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...mor-overdose-new-details-her-night-parents-TV
Qualters doesn't confirm the rumors to be true, but "absolutely" tells me he the information came from multiple sources, and LE took it seriously. JMO

Quotes are of course left up to the reader to interpret, but I feel pretty confident in saying that HT is not calling LS and her group of friends drug users in that quote.

I think she's calling her group of friends people who like to get wasted, to be a little obtuse about it. "Partiers" seems typically euphemistic, leaving it ambiguous as to the precise means. She's not going to say in print that they do drugs, of course. I think what she's saying is consistent with what has been said elsewhere - LS at least dabbled, but this night was something out of the ordinary.

It's interesting how we can see the same quotes and interpret them differently. I saw the news conference where Qualters answered the question about the drug use, and he answered it pretty non-committally - saying that he'd absolutely heard the rumors (not that he absolutely believed them).

I heard "it just went too far this time," as a response to a question along the lines of, "was she a heavy partier?" and again, to me, that could mean anything from "she did tons of drugs and she died and our friends hid her body" to "she drank excessively and when she walked home she was defenseless". I lean toward the latter because in several articles, including one I cited earlier, HT said she absolutely believed that it was a stranger abduction -- and wouldn't that mean she DID NOT believe it was an overdose/hide-the-body situation?

I lean toward the latter because in several articles, including one I cited earlier, HT said she absolutely believed that it was a stranger abduction -- and wouldn't that mean she DID NOT believe it was an overdose/hide-the-body situation?

It would mean it's not a hide-the-body situation, but it does not mean it wasn't an overdose/pass out due to drug use situation.

And I think you've mischaracterized what she said. I recall it as she had concluded, after the POIs had spoken to and given evidence to LE and the local area had been searched fairly well, that they needed to take seriously the possibility that she might have been taken by someone else, requiring that the search be expanded out of town.

College kids use the term 'to party' in various ways. It is much like the term 'to hook up' which can mean anything from making out w/someone, to heavy petting to having sex, in a friends w/benefits kind of way.

The term "to party' also runs the gamut. But it can mean anything from 'playing beer pong' to smoking pot to doing heavy drugs like coke or heroin. Or also doing E or oxycontin. Different cliques use the term their own way to fit their way of partying.

It would mean it's not a hide-the-body situation, but it does not mean it wasn't an overdose/pass out due to drug use situation.

And I think you've mischaracterized what she said. I recall it as she had concluded, after the POIs had spoken to and given evidence to LE and the local area had been searched fairly well, that they needed to take seriously the possibility that she might have been taken by someone else, requiring that the search be expanded out of town.

Why would she say that unless she knows something?

Is it your position that HT believes that LS did too many drugs and as a result was abducted?

I do not trust things said by HT, I know there are many who take all her statements as fact and others who take the parts they want to believe as facts and the rest as hearsay. To me she has come across as someone who was less than a true friend to LS and that is just my own opinion concerning her. To me her interviews do not seem genuine, for whatever reason. I also believe she knows more than she is saying. In forming this opinion I have looked at her body language, tone of voice and the way she says things both in video interviews and from quotes in print. I have 4 girls (ages 3 to 23) and have had many of their friends at our home over the last 20 years of raising girls and have never seen one true friend of my children express theirself in the way she does. Now I could be all wrong in my assumptions and I hope I am, but I just can't get over my nagging doubt when I hear what she has to say.

I took HT's comments as kind of a slight toward Lauren...as though Lauren partied her butt off and could not take care of herself and that as a result, she was (probably) abducted, due to not being aware of her surroundings. Part of HT's goal, at the time, seemed to be to remove suspicion from JR and therefore she seemed to place it on Lauren. I think she was so busy trying to defend JR and company that she did not really care how her words sounded about Lauren.

Why don't you guys knock it off. Are you interested in discussing the case, or sparring with each other?

I took HT's comments as kind of a slight toward Lauren...as though Lauren partied her butt off and could not take care of herself and that as a result, she was (probably) abducted, due to not being aware of her surroundings. Part of HT's goal, at the time, seemed to be to remove suspicion from JR and therefore she seemed to place it on Lauren. I think she was so busy trying to defend JR and company that she did not really care how her words sounded about Lauren.

Placing suspicion on Lauren--that's been going on around here lately it seems but it looks and sounds different. Just wish some people would just come right out and say it.

Just to qualify, I don't take HT's word as "gospel". That particular statement was just one of many that made me lean toward drugs being a factor in Lauren's fate that night.

Placing suspicion on Lauren--that's been going on around here lately it seems but it looks and sounds different. Just wish some people would just come right out and say it.

I hope you don't mean me, as I am the farthest from blaming Lauren for anything.

I wish there were more facts to discuss. It is so hard to decipher what may have happened when we have so little to go on. I pray every day that Lauren will be found and that her dear family willl get some type of closure. It is only human for us all to want to know what happened, what caused this, why it happened.. To know would be to somehow understand. Unfortunately, when on the rare occasion we do find out what happened, we still don't understand what motivates someone to kill, what motivates someone to lie, or even what motivates someone to cover up an accident, etc. And that is a good thing, because in most cases only a criminal mind can truly "understand" those motives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member