NC NC - Kill Devil Hills, WhtMale 16-21, UP11721, Skeletal on beach, Mar'13

I think we're in agreement then Magnum. Like you this is a favorite destination of mine. We used to stay on Windsong so really close to this area but this year we were down by MP 18 and that was nice too. You think you can make some headway with the locals? Maybe they have more they can share than what Namus lists

I think we're in agreement then Magnum. Like you this is a favorite destination of mine. We used to stay on Windsong so really close to this area but this year we were down by MP 18 and that was nice too. You think you can make some headway with the locals? Maybe they have more they can share than what Namus lists

Started going there in 1977, stayed there on my honeymoon in 83, been there lots of other times. Unfortunately I live near Pittsburgh and a stranger with a Yankee accent, even a polite one like myself, is probably not going to go in and get meaningful info. I knew another pilot from that area who invited me down to First Flight Airport (very close, right behind Wright Brothers site) but he is no longer around there.

Were there any news stories about the discovery?

I take it that they probably determined quickly from teeth that these were not Native American remains, as in those cases remains are handed over to tribal groups for reburial according to cultural customs, and would not make it into NamUS. That does happen, and there were inhabitants of the Outer Banks going far back before the Europeans.

It would be interesting if they were found to be remains of an early settler. Maybe a member of the lost colony has been found? Ya never know.......

No stories at all that I recall although I didn't spend much time watching the news:)

I am an OBX fan as well. I have a close friend who lives on Roanoke Island. Her dad, recently retired, was head of the EMT department in Kill Devil Hills. I'll see if I can get any info from them.

I sent a message to my friend, and she said they had heard nothing about it. She speculates that it washed up on shore.

I was wondering if this girl could be Erica parsons?
This is JMO, but that would be very unlikely. This young female's body would of had mature enough that she showed up as possibly being an adult. Based on Erica's very small height and weight, I am not even sure if she ever hit puberty. There were some remains found of an unidentified child found in Missouri, who some including I question if they are of Erica. MO MO - Dixon, Child-Skeletal, Preteen, Found on Rural Private Property, Oct'13 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Two White/Caucasian males, both at the upper range of 21 went missing at sea of the coast of Dare County, near Cape Hatteras - don't know if any of their remains could of possibly washed ashore years later.

MP#14851: Ted Wall (NamUs)
MP#14742: Harold Jeffrey Mays (NamUs)

While writing this message - I found that another fellow WS member may have made this possible connection as well on Jeffrey Mays missing persons thread: WS - Jeffrey Mays

Reddit post proposing this connection (credit to LanadelNay)

1 exclusion listed on NamUs:

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs # MP19865John Pensyl, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 17, 2012
StateNC
CountyNew Hanover

1 exclusion listed on NamUs:

Missing Person / NamUs # MP19865John Pensyl, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 17, 2012
StateNC
CountyNew Hanover
FWIW John Pensyl has a WS thread. His remains were discovered in 2017. Found Deceased - NC - John Pensyl, 20, Wilmington, 17 May 2012
So that's why his link at NamUs (MP19865) is no longer up.

I also noticed the UP# in the title of this thread is transposed. It should be UP11721 (not UP11712).
I'll flag this post for a mod to edit.
Since John Pensyl's remains were found, is it typical for him to still be listed as an exclusion elsewhere in NamUs?

FWIW John Pensyl has a WS thread. His remains were discovered in 2017. Found Deceased - NC - John Pensyl, 20, Wilmington, 17 May 2012
So that's why his link at NamUs (MP19865) is no longer up.

I also noticed the UP# in the title of this thread is transposed. It should be UP11721 (not UP11712).
I'll flag this post for a mod to edit.
Since John Pensyl's remains were found, is it typical for him to still be listed as an exclusion elsewhere in NamUs?
That’s a good question. I will find out from NamUs if rule outs are removed or if they remain as a listed exclusion even if they have been found/identified.

Bradley David Coles (MP15557)? 24 years-old, went missing 27+ miles off the Oregon Inlet.

That’s a good question. I will find out from NamUs if rule outs are removed or if they remain as a listed exclusion even if they have been found/identified.

In my experience--generally the link remains. If the exclusion's Namus is completely removed, the list will just show the Namus case number and a series of dashes for the data fields. It looks like Pensyl's case file has been removed from public view but is still there, so the data is filled in.

In my experience--generally the link remains. If the exclusion's Namus is completely removed, the list will just show the Namus case number and a series of dashes for the data fields. It looks like Pensyl's case file has been removed from public view but is still there, so the data is filled in.
I've encountered dashes a few times but didn't know what they meant. I reasoned it was just a blank entry, like someone created a new entry but never filled out any of the fields.

I've encountered dashes a few times but didn't know what they meant. I reasoned it was just a blank entry, like someone created a new entry but never filled out any of the fields.

Sometimes it's that, definitely. It's hard to tell. There are probably other causes that I don't know about, too.

I saw a few like that and asked Katharine at NamUs how that works if a case is removed after it has been listed as a rule out. Her response is below. I believe you are exactly right.

“Thank you for that follow up. Once a case has been removed from the system, it is no longer public information. I can not provide additional details.”

I saw a few like that and asked Katharine at NamUs how that works if a case is removed after it has been listed as a rule out. Her response is below. I believe you are exactly right.

“Thank you for that follow up. Once a case has been removed from the system, it is no longer public information. I can not provide additional details.”
Bradley David Coles has not been ruled out. Nor have Wall and Mays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back