TX TX - Corsicana, near Chambers Creek, UnsFem 2-5, 1052UFTX, clothes, May'77

Text of an article from the November 11th, 1977 Brownsville (TX) Brownsville Herald <newspaperarchive.com>:

Girl Believed Slain By Family Friend
Dallas (APJ—The family of a 9-year-old girl whose body was found Saturday near Lake Ray Hubbard believe Barbara Marsh was abducted and slain by a family friend — but they don't know which one. "We think it was a good friend mentally gone wrong who done this because Barbara wouldn't have gone with a stranger." said Betty Latham, the slain girl's sister." But Mother cautioned her a lot." Barbara was last seen Friday night as she played basketball near her East Dallas home. Some 12 hours later two fishermen stumbled upon her body — from afar they said it looked like a mannequin. The body had apparently been in the water nine or ten hours and officials said evidence at the scene indicated the young girl had been drowned while unconscious.
The death marked the third apparent abduction-slaying of young Dallas-area girls since February. The apartment complex Barbara's family lives in is some six blocks from the spot where Ladina McCoy was last seen in February. Seven year-old Ladina's body was found four months later near a Southwest Dallas creek.
In September a 12-year-old Denton girl disappeared after her mother left her with the family washing chores at an area laundromat. Suzie Mages was last seen talking with an unidentified man at a Denton fast food restaurant. Her body was found two weeks later in an Oak Cliff gravel pit. Investigators say the similarities in the three cases are disturbing, but they are not sure if the deaths are related. Friends and family remember Barbara as a loner who was often the target of her second grade classmates taunts. "She didn't have any close friends. She had friends, but the kids made fun of her, so she always played alone,"
Mrs. Latham said. And those hours of solitary play were often spent with her well-worn basketball. That ball, found abandoned near where she was playing Friday, tipped investigators that she had been abducted.

Initially, Barbara Marsh's mother, Carrie, was arrested for her murder. I can't confirm that she was convicted---She may have used the deaths of Ladina, Suzie, and unidentified little girl discussed here as "cover" for the murder of her own daughter.

In May, when this unidentified little girl was first found, it was thought she may have in fact been Ladina. However, the clothing she was wearing did not match, and Ladina was described as "large for her age".

The similiarities in the cases, in that several young girls were all killed and later found in bodies of water (the streambed Ladina was found in had dried up by the time she was found) are notable. (Corsicana is only an hour from Dallas).

Text of an article from the November 11th, 1977 Brownsville (TX) Brownsville Herald <newspaperarchive.com>:

Girl Believed Slain By Family Friend
Dallas (APJ—The family of a 9-year-old girl whose body was found Saturday near Lake Ray Hubbard believe Barbara Marsh was abducted and slain by a family friend — but they don't know which one. "We think it was a good friend mentally gone wrong who done this because Barbara wouldn't have gone with a stranger." said Betty Latham, the slain girl's sister." But Mother cautioned her a lot." Barbara was last seen Friday night as she played basketball near her East Dallas home. Some 12 hours later two fishermen stumbled upon her body — from afar they said it looked like a mannequin. The body had apparently been in the water nine or ten hours and officials said evidence at the scene indicated the young girl had been drowned while unconscious.
The death marked the third apparent abduction-slaying of young Dallas-area girls since February. The apartment complex Barbara's family lives in is some six blocks from the spot where Ladina McCoy was last seen in February. Seven year-old Ladina's body was found four months later near a Southwest Dallas creek.
In September a 12-year-old Denton girl disappeared after her mother left her with the family washing chores at an area laundromat. Suzie Mages was last seen talking with an unidentified man at a Denton fast food restaurant. Her body was found two weeks later in an Oak Cliff gravel pit. Investigators say the similarities in the three cases are disturbing, but they are not sure if the deaths are related. Friends and family remember Barbara as a loner who was often the target of her second grade classmates taunts. "She didn't have any close friends. She had friends, but the kids made fun of her, so she always played alone,"
Mrs. Latham said. And those hours of solitary play were often spent with her well-worn basketball. That ball, found abandoned near where she was playing Friday, tipped investigators that she had been abducted.

Initially, Barbara Marsh's mother, Carrie, was arrested for her murder. I can't confirm that she was convicted---She may have used the deaths of Ladina, Suzie, and unidentified little girl discussed here as "cover" for the murder of her own daughter.

In May, when this unidentified little girl was first found, it was thought she may have in fact been Ladina. However, the clothing she was wearing did not match, and Ladina was described as "large for her age".

The similiarities in the cases, in that several young girls were all killed and later found in bodies of water (the streambed Ladina was found in had dried up by the time she was found) are notable. (Corsicana is only an hour from Dallas).

Great Sleuthing!

Great Sleuthing is right. Awesome job!

I think it now necessary to research these specific cases as well to see if anyone was ever arrested, convicted, etc. Too coincidental not to. I really appreciate all of this info, so many new leads now.

Just so everyone can get a feel for the area... Her body was found near the "extremely small" rural community of Roane. No stores, just a few homes, mostly farmland. The nearest highway is Hwy. 31 that runs from Waco through Corsicana on to Tyler and beyond.

Corsicana is approx. 50 miles South of Dallas and both Dallas and Navarro County lie on the Trinity River. Bodies have been found in the Trinity in Navarro County that have come from the Dallas area.

Chambers Creek however where this child was found actually feeds the Trinity River so I don't believe it is possible that this child's body was placed in the Trinity and ended up in Chambers Creek.

Not to be confused with "Richland-Chambers Lake." RC lake was not in existence in 1977.

It is my opinion that her body had to have been placed where it was found or not too very far from where it was found.

East 5th Ave. starts in Corsicana but if you stay on it heading East, the road eventually turns into a one lane concrete slab built very long ago. After than it turns into black dirt, no gravel. If it sprinkles you cannot travel this road as it is very slick black dirt and you will slide and get stuck instantly. If you meet someone head on then someone is going to have to back up, quite a long ways. This is where my father always took us kids to pop firecrackers back in the day as my grandparents lived and farmed land near there. It was very secluded in 1977, not so much now.

An article from a Denton paper (May 31st, 1977 Denton Record-Chronicle) stated that the area where the little girl's remains were found was a gated and locked farm/ranch, and that LE ("Ellis County authorities") believed she may have floated downstream.

There was no information on who owned the ranch.

I know what we read in newspapers are not always accurate but I grew up in Navarro County and Chambers Creek feeds the Trinity, not the other way around. If she had traveled from Dallas County, through Ellis County down to Navarro County she would not have ended up in Chambers Creek. She would of been in the Trinity. I honestly don't think its possible.

The Daily Sun states that she was found about 1 mile South of where the East 5th slab road crosses Chambers Creek. The Ranch would probably be what was known from around 1930 to the 1980/90's as the Wheelock Family Ranch.

Ironically, my grandfather actually owned this land before the Depression when he sold all but 29 acres to Mr. Wheelock. There is no other place/Ranch worth mentioning out there as this one is a pretty significant Ranch, it sold in the millions. It is also very close to Hwy. 31. There is a gravel road off of Hwy. 31 that runs right along side of this Ranch.

Would this ranch have hired "itinerant workers"? Could this little girl have belonged to a family working there?

This case really touched me, as I'm deeply involved at the moment investigating the murder of Christine Wright. She was an adorable little 7 year-old who was taken from her parents' apartment in Va in '74, then found several weeks later in a stream. She had been sexually molested and then placed in the stream, in February, still alive.

I've spent the last hour on Google Earth creating a Map for everyone. I tried to outline Chambers Creek the best I could. From Hwy. 31 to where I estimate the body being found, the creek is surprising not that winding. Its from where the body is found to East 5th Ave. (which is the way the creek flows - towards the Trinity River) that it gets very winding and curvy. I think it more likely if the body did travel that it traveled from Hwy. 31 up.

As I mentioned in my first post, I was out doing Genealogy when I stumbled upon her grave. She is buried in Modrall Cemetery in Corsicana. In my research I have learned that my grandfather (house is noted on map) actually owned several hundred acres of land that bordered Mr. Wheelock's land.

When the Depression hit it hurt my grandfather badly, not so much Mr. Wheelock. When my gfather was 48, my gmother 40, my father was born. This would be 1932. My gfather then sold most all of his land and farming equipment to Mr. Wheelock. Mr. Wheelock then made gfather Ranch Manager. My father remembers the late 30's & 40's, huge BBQ's, gambling and drinking (Moonshine Stills, lol). Even horse racing, the kind where the man rode on a two-wheel buggy behind the horse. It was the place to be back in the day.

Okay, to get back to the subject...by the 1960's the place was pretty much a bust, most everyone deceased. I'm not sure why but it seems that 2 or 3 of the Wheelocks committed suicide, one actually near the tank on this map. No one lived out there anymore, the place kind of grew up. In the 80's, 90's the land was purchased and it is now a working Ranch again.

To answer your question, in 1977 if I remember correctly, the place was pretty dead out there. I don't think there would be anyone working there.

Would this ranch have hired "itinerant workers"? Could this little girl have belonged to a family working there?

This case really touched me, as I'm deeply involved at the moment investigating the murder of Christine Wright. She was an adorable little 7 year-old who was taken from her parents' apartment in Va in '74, then found several weeks later in a stream. She had been sexually molested and then placed in the stream, in February, still alive.

How very sad. Its just sickening. You said alive. Was she able to say or tell anything?

The newspaper also burned and lost a lot of records back in the early 90's I believe it was. the microfilm is prob. the only way to view those records.

Where is this child buried? Is it at the county cemetery just off Hackberry? Modulin I believe it is. I have a grandchild buried there.

You're thinking of the right one. Its called Modrall. She's buried near the street and has a small, gray granite tombstone. Next time I'm in Corsicana I'll snap a pic.

By the way, I'm laid-off. I don't get UP until 11:30 lol, much less be dressed and in Corsicana by then. ha.

http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txnavarr/cemetery/modrall/index.htm

I may run out to the cemetery after work... I live in Blooming Grove so I can swing that direction before I head home. I work about 6 blocks from the cemetery give or take.

How very sad. Its just sickening. You said alive. Was she able to say or tell anything?

She was alive when placed into the water, then drowned...As if used, and then cast aside. It's one of many disheartening aspects to Christine's murder.

Great Sleuthing is right. Awesome job!

I think it now necessary to research these specific cases as well to see if anyone was ever arrested, convicted, etc. Too coincidental not to. I really appreciate all of this info, so many new leads now.

PM me. I lived 2 doors down from Suzie Mages' grandmother when I was a kid, and we were good friends. There are still family members around where I live, and I should be able to find out whatever happened with that case.
Lanie

Dallas Morning News 11/17/1977 - Police Charge Girl's Mother in Drowning.
Dallas Morning News 12/6/1977 - Grand Jury Indicts Mother in Barbara Sue's Murder.

I still haven't been able to find if Carrie Marsh was convicted or not. Police seem to indicate in news articles that the cases (Suzie Mages, Ladina McCoy & Barbara Marsh) had alot of similarities but that was prior to the Carrie Marsh indictment.

I wonder if they ever thought that the Navarro Child Skeleton was connected.

Carrie Christine Marsh arrested 11-16-77 SO305576 Charge Homicide no text

Agency code 174616 Disposition: Parole to Dallas County for Life.

I can not find her in the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice Files

Well it looks like she was sentenced in April 1978 but I don't know for how long. The record I found from Dallas County gave a code of JCJP= (Plea of not guilty, found guilty by the Jury and sentenced by the Jury.) There is an appeal on file that gives her birthdate/1938 and says she is age 70 now but it is not viewable unless you pay $. Could she still possibly be going through appeals? I wouldn't think so.

A newspaper article I found says that the mother killed her because her boyfriend told her she had to choose, him or the child. So, she killed her own child & threw her in Lake Ray Hubbard. We can always hope she is still rotting in jail. Barbara's cause of death was blunt force.

Barbara's case is certainly not linked to the others but Suzie, Ladina and the Navarro Unknown still could be.

Went to Modrall today. My camera battery was dead, but I did locate little Corsicana Doe and will go back and take a picture of the grave next week.

PM me. I lived 2 doors down from Suzie Mages' grandmother when I was a kid, and we were good friends. There are still family members around where I live, and I should be able to find out whatever happened with that case.
Lanie

Lanie, have you had a chance to find out anything?

Just a suggestion, but could someone in the area contact local LE and see if they could reopen this as a cold case?

Just a suggestion, but could someone in the area contact local LE and see if they could reopen this as a cold case?

Gabby, would your contact at the SO be interested in doing this? At least maybe get her listed on NamUs and/or the doenetwork. I don't know if a sketch was ever made of what she might of looked like.

Gabby, would your contact at the SO be interested in doing this? At least maybe get her listed on NamUs and/or the doenetwork. I don't know if a sketch was ever made of what she might of looked like.

I can call her tomorrow. I am not sure what if anything can be done. Worth looking in to. How's the stuff you sent to the Daily Sun working out? If we could get that started maybe NCSO would be more willing to help out

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back