Investigative journalism

s_finch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want your opinion on something I've just thought of. I read on here all the time about the missing, and it seems there's so little we can do other than try to keep the names and faces in the media, and pray. I know Christine is considering beginning an NPO in honor of Tybee for the missing in GA. I'm considering using my degree in English to begin a online investigative journalism site for cold cases in my state and surrounding areas. My thinking is I would actually talk to the LE and family involved in the cases and dig up as much info as possible , post what was appropriate on my site and link my site to everything possible to get exposure for these cases. Please see my link at the bottom about Dail Dinwiddie, her case haunts me. Happened an hour from my home and even though I never knew her, I can't forget how she disappeared without a trace.

Would such a site do any good or just be a waste of time. Seems as though investigative journalists do often help crack cases, I'd be happy to just focus enough attention to help solve the cases. I don't want any glory for myself, just closure and peace for the families and victims.

Any thoughts?

S_Finch

Personally I like the idea, considering that true investigative journalism has pretty much vanished from the mainstream media.

Personally I like the idea, considering that true investigative journalism has pretty much vanished from the mainstream media.

That's the absolute truth!

It couldn't hurt, as long as the families are cool with it. Sort of a crime library type thing for the missing? I think a lot of people would read these stories if they are well-written and in a narrative form.

Thank you for your responses and thoughts. It is a shame investigative journalism has practically disappeared, I wonder why that is.

Thank you for your responses and thoughts. It is a shame investigative journalism has practically disappeared, I wonder why that is.

Money, mainly. Advertising revenue is down and long-term investigative journalism takes a lot of time. Newspaper staffs are being cut so most of them have cut stuff that takes up a lot of time. Gotta keep up those profit margins.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back