Michigan mom says she put presents in wrong car & driver left with them

Ford should pony up $700 for this family's lost gifts. Sure, it's a fluke that this person's trunk key also fit another Ford Focus of the same color in the same parking lot on the same day at the same time - but they can't really believe it is impossible, can they? And maybe, the trunk of the other car was left ajar and the key didn't really open it - but Ford would have been better off to volunteer to be Santa to this family than to be perceived as Scrooge in this situation.

I kind of have a hard time blaming the person who found his car trunk full of presents. It is not like he went out of his way to take them. He opens his trunk and there they are.LOL He may have thought God answered his prayers.

Ford should pony up $700 for this family's lost gifts. Sure, it's a fluke that this person's trunk key also fit another Ford Focus of the same color in the same parking lot on the same day at the same time - but they can't really believe it is impossible, can they? And maybe, the trunk of the other car was left ajar and the key didn't really open it - but Ford would have been better off to volunteer to be Santa to this family than to be perceived as Scrooge in this situation.

I agree, but I am also going to lay some responsibility on the woman's shoulders. She made the mistake. She put her presents in the WRONG car. It was her own fault, faulty key or not. imoo

"
but I am also going to lay some responsibility on the woman's shoulders. She made the mistake. She put her presents in the WRONG car. It was her own fault, faulty key or not. imoo

i agree.

i do not understand how or why FORD would, could, should be seen as "scrooge"... this is not their fault.

the person who found the gifts should not have tried to cash in. they should have called police no doubt about it - the right thing to do imo.

So much of a fluke I'm not sure I trust that story. There was some reason when I saw it that I just said "oh heck nawww" sumpin' don't smell right about this. JMHO

IMO, the person who took the presents commited theft. They knew it too. They tried to return items for money and not to the person who bought them.

I don't believe car keys opening other trunks is a fluke. I think car makers would like the public to believe it's a fluke. I've even heard of people inadvertently stealing other cars thinking it was theirs.

IMO, the person who took the presents commited theft. They knew it too. They tried to return items for money and not to the person who bought them.

I don't believe car keys opening other trunks is a fluke. I think car makers would like the public to believe it's a fluke. I've even heard of people inadvertently stealing other cars thinking it was theirs.

It's not a fluke.
I owned an impound yard for ten years. We always saved keys because so many keys fit the same model cars and it saved us a lot in locksmith fees.

I did this in the early 90's with a Nissan. Left the grocery store and loaded the groceries, hopped in, put my purse down and then was confused because the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. THEN I realized I was not in MY vehicle. Talk about embarrassed and scared! Same color, wheels, interior, etc...plus they kept their car pretty clean and sparse of personal items also. I was petrified the owner would come out and catch me before I could retreat to my own....totally embarrassed. LOL

ETA: This was a 2003... Wonder why she didn't have a remote?

I'm not so sure I'd call it theft Suzi, but it certainly wasn't ethical or compassionate. :( You'd hope the spirit of the season would overwhelm the urge to take advantage of someone's obvious mistake, but I guess some people just don't get it. :nono: Betcha Ms. Gipson keeps all her receipts in her purse from now on!

I used to drive a 1978 trans am ,and once a lady who I knew locked her keys in her 199? pontiac 6000, so before she called the lock smith I decided to try my pontiac key and it unlocked her doors.

I also have heard of a woman who unlocked someone elses f 150 (2004) with her truck key ,they looked alike. In addition to that I believe there are only so many key combitions so ford is fibbing if that information came from ford (I doubt). It would be very costly to have to cut new locks and keys for every single car.

I did this in the early 90's with a Nissan. Left the grocery store and loaded the groceries, hopped in, put my purse down and then was confused because the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. THEN I realized I was not in MY vehicle. Talk about embarrassed and scared! Same color, wheels, interior, etc...plus they kept their car pretty clean and sparse of personal items also. I was petrified the owner would come out and catch me before I could retreat to my own....totally embarrassed. LOL

Same thing happened to me. Same make, model, color etc. Both cars were covered in snow. The key unlocked the door but wouldn't turn in the ignition. When I got out, frustrated, I noticed my car was parked in front of that one.

If you haven't followed the case of missing child, Bianca Jones (Detroit), you probably didn't see my post about a lost gift card:

This is OT but worth sharing with those who are following this sad saga and finding it difficult to keep from thinking the worst about whoever is responsible for the (likely) harm that has come to little Bianca Jones.

DH received a $$$ gift card from a customer a few days ago. I had the card in my purse when I went to the mall yesterday but wasn't necessarily planning to use it. I was in Macy's long enough to make one purchase before heading home. I didn't realize until several hours later that I no longer had the gift card and that I must have misplaced it when I took my wallet out of my purse along with Macy's discount cards. I had a good :cry: and felt :sick: for having been so careless and knew that I would have to tell DH when he got home.

On the hunch that someone might have found the gift card and turned it in, DH called Macy's lost-and-found last night, but no one answered. DH did not want to contact his customer about stopping use of the card by someone else until he contacted Macy's which he did this morning. A good person did, indeed, turn the gift card in :) DH will pick it up on his way home this evening. In the words of Anne Frank, "... In spite of everything, I still believe that people are truly good at heart."

So much of a fluke I'm not sure I trust that story. There was some reason when I saw it that I just said "oh heck nawww" sumpin' don't smell right about this. JMHO

I would have to agree that it sounds unbelievable; however I have recently also mistaken another exact same vehicle as my own car. It didn't open, of which I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't until my daughter spoke up, lol.

As well, my coworker's mom always makes a Starbucks run before going to work. Her husband drops her off & drives around the back to then pick her up as to get out of the hectic parking lot. Well, a few months ago she opened the door to the exact same car parked beside the curb putting her own coffee on top of the car, fussing with her purse & without looking into the car itself was trying to hand the driver his coffee. She then screamed "Jerry take your coffee!" Until the deep voice from inside the car said "Hey lady, I think you got the wrong car" LOL!

It's funny to us now, but her husband failed to see the humor.

Stranger things have happened. :)

Ohhh I missed them trying to return the gifts for money suzi!

OT but my Husband got me an ipad2 for christmas and I haven't downloaded the forum app for it so I am just using the safari to read WS at night in bed and today when I went back to have a look to read those threads I responded to---I see that the ipad2 didn't load all of the posts for some reason. I only saw the OP and maybe one or two posts :waitasec: no matter, I'll download the forum app when I get time :)

LOL!!!! Oh my goodness, I would have been so embarrassed too!!

I will preface this story by saying that if I didn't actually know the people involved, I wouldn't believe it. A friend of my uncles went to a bar one night and had a little too much to drink but stupidly decided to drive home anyway. He drove home and went to bed. His wife woke him up frantically the next morning because she went out to get something out of their Jeep (the vehicle that he took to the bar) and the Jeep in their garage wasn't theirs. The outside was the same color but the interior was a different color. In her husband's buzzed stage, he didn't realize the difference when he opened the door to get in.

Long story short-- the man who owned the Jeep that was accidentally taken reported it stolen. As soon as my uncles friend realized that he had the wrong Jeep, he called the police to explain and then drove to the bar to find his Jeep still sitting there. The man whose Jeep was taken met the police at the bar to get his vehicle. He luckily took it very well and had a drink with the guy who "stole" his Jeep. The police told them that it actually wasn't uncommon for something like that to happen because all different types of keys will fit all different types of vehicles. And there are usually only a few hundred keys made for a particular make and model each year.

davehead, that's hysterical..!!!

Oh man, this story is just heartbreaking. I can't believe the owner of the car actually tried to return the gifts! I hope he/she's on survelliance and someone is able to identify him. What he shoulda done is take those gifts straight to mall security!

It's like if the $500.00 found on my front stoop after Christmas was mine! Of course it wasn't. Yes, I promptly found the owner (the name of the person and the word RENT) was on the envelope.

Lord knows I could use the money (I receive some state Aid)...but dammit, it's not mine. She even told me she never thought she'd get it back in a million years. The envelope fell out of her purse as she was walking to the car and she didn't notice it until the next day (how it ended up on my door is baffling -- wind maybe).

Anyway, I have no tolerance for this kinda carp. I hope the person had a miserable Christmas!

MOO and all that...

Mel

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member