Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that his watch was solid 14k gold. That was a top of the line Accutron not a plated or gold filled watch.. Bulova of yesteryear was not the Bulova of today. They used to be a mid-range high end watch. About what we consider a Tag Heuer or Baume Mercier now days.

I would say it is most likely from 1968 not 1974. By the 70's Accutrons with that shape case (It is referred to as a cushion shaped case) had the setting stem on the back of the watch.. Not with the stem at the 4 o’clock position like Jock’s that is 60's.

They were very popular as graduation gifts and everyone I know that has one got it as such. So There is a good chance he graduated high school or College in 1968 or 69.

I think what makes the watch look cheap to me and most likely the killer(s) is the band. Originally, that watch most likely came with a leather strap. Probably Lizard or Crocodile. What was one there when he died is a cheap replacement band. It is a Twist-O-Flex Romunda expansion band. They have a black textured center with gold or silver sides. They were very popular in the 60's and 70's. Sadly, a lot of people who got expensive watches as gifts swapped out the expensive factory band for the Twist-O-Flex bands since they were more comfortable and most people favored them.

That band would have been about $3-$6 in the late 60's or early 70's. They are still made now and retail for about $18 and a band comparable to what the watch would have left the factory with would be 2-3 times as much.

Sorry about the long post, but I am a watch nut and I just had to add my 2 cents.

Where did you read that the watch was 14K gold?

It's Locklear Road not Lynches. Some place in this thread there is a video that somebody did of the road and the area.

Teresa, I don't think anyone's trying to say it wasn't Locklair. Not sure where you got that idea.

What Shutterfly isn't aware of though is that Google spells it Locklear, but the road is actually spelled Locklair. Regardless, they are two variations of the same name.

Scottish Jock (a generic nickname for anyone who is Scottish by the way) would have been 41 in 1976 if the information is correct... can't see that one panning out :(

Teresa, I don't think anyone's trying to say it wasn't Locklair. Not sure where you got that idea.

What Shutterfly isn't aware of though is that Google spells it Locklear, but the road is actually spelled Locklair. Regardless, they are two variations of the same name.
I am sorry I misunderstood your previous post. I should have had some glasses on when I was reading it. LOL :)

Where did you get that information from?

hi, youshouldveknown...do you mean the info about age? it's this posting:

http://www.ubfound.com/message.php?id=80

this person who is looking for a Jock intimates that he was in his late 30's in the early 70s, which would make him too old for our Jock, if he was indeed in his late 20s in 1976.

or did you mean the 'Jock' name? yep, it's a term for a Scotsman & sometimes used as a name.

Thanks kitbits. Sorry, I must not have processed that part when I read through the original posting! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You're right. It seems the ages are off. I can't imagine how anyone would mistake a mid-to late 20's man with a late 30's man, but it could be possible. We should keep this in our pockets just in case - but move forward as well.

Thanks kitbits. Sorry, I must not have processed that part when I read through the original posting! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You're right. It seems the ages are off. I can't imagine how anyone would mistake a mid-to late 20's man with a late 30's man, but it could be possible. We should keep this in our pockets just in case - but move forward as well.

heh heh, no worries... :)

& agreed, best to have too much than too little!

Thanks kitbits.
Sorry, I must not have processed that part when I read through the original posting! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You're right. It seems the ages are off.

I can't imagine how anyone would mistake a mid-to late 20's man with a late 30's man, but it could be possible.

We should keep this in our pockets just in case - but move forward as well......

youshouldveknown, With the loose ends in this case, nothing would surprise me.
Maybe our Jock was in his 30's?
I know several people today, that are in their middle 30's and look no older than 25..
plus his excellent dental work, being a teacher, 2 scars on his back all could point to Jock being older than the coroner guessed.

I do feel our Jane Doe was possibly in her teens.

kidbits, I agree, After 30 yrs., lets leave no stone unturned, anyone 16-40 yrs. should be considered, best to have too much than too little!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong