"Tape Recorder Man"

Thrasher said:
It is absurd to think the Annapolis Courthouse extortion attempt involved the Lyons in any way. I indicated previously how improbable it was that this was a kidnapping for money; in any case, no rational person would seek a cash drop in a court building (least of all a known radio personality).
Great post, Thrasher. Very well articulated. Of course we shouldn't leap to conclusions, but on the other hand, when dealing with an unsolved case, we also shouldn't develop tunnel vision either. The fact that the Tennessee reporter does have some possible history with crimes involving children, has experience interviewing with a microphone (the perfect cover in case anyone asks why he's talking to strange children in a mall), and also has a Maryland connection during the relevant time frame, while not sufficient to make him a suspect, is intriguing.

One more observation....I'm a big Jon Douglas fan, and in one of his books, he discusses child kidnappings. The ransom demand is probably unrelated to the case because according to Douglas, there are three kinds of people who kidnap kids (not counting family abductions): sexual predators, childless people who can't adopt (and probably have some mental problems), and genuine ransom cases. The first two want nothing to do with the parents of the kids and will never communicate with them, and in the third case, the ransom demands will be very persistent because it's the money they want.

The Tape Recorder Man (TRM) was seen at Wheaton Plaza speaking with Sheila and Katherine shortly before their disappearance. How long he was there that day, and how many times he had approached children previously is unknown, although a number of people reported having seen him on previous occasions - at Wheaton Plaza, and at other shopping centers in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties, Maryland.

TRM disappeared almost the same time that the Lyon sisters did. Nobody ever came forward to state that he had been innocently interviewing people, trying out his new tape recorder, or any other such reasonable explanation. He simply disapeared and never surfaced (as TRM) again.

The sketch of TRM and the story of him speaking with the girls was the best clue available to police at the time early in the investigation. Later, the police spokesman stated that TRM could have been at the shopping center "for some legitimate purpose", and that he might NOT have been involved in the girls' disappearance. They were basically attempting to get any other clues from the public at the time.

In my opinion, the girls were abducted by a non-family member from Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975 - as opposed to any other scenario (ie ran away, fell in a pond, etc). It is also most likely that TRM was the actual abductor of the girls. Working alone, he determined when they would be departing the mall and what their path home would be (probably during his interview with them). He immediately left the area, got into his vehicle, and waited for them along their route of travel.

It is, of course, possible that he was working with an accomplice in one way or another. That would be less likely, but still, in such a scenario, he would have been directly involved.

It is also possible that TRM was simply a weird guy who, through a BIG coincidence, happened to interview these two girls shortly before some completely unrelated unknown person or persons abducted the girls. Seeing news reports of the girls' disappearance, and the sketch of TRM might have scared him into abandoning his "hobby" and into remaining silent about it for many years afterward.

Of interest is that a person in Prince Georges County, MD (south of and adjacent to Montgomery County) DID contact Montgomery County Police to state that he was the person seen in Landover Mall and Marlow Heights shopping center attempting to induce young girls into speaking into a tape recorder. But he claimed to have never done that in Montgomery County. In fact he had an alabi for the afternoon of 25 March 1975: he said that he had been in an auto accident involving a Federal Government vehicle and was in the hospital that afternoon.

Questions arise from that story: Was this second TRM photographed? Was his photo shown to any of the witnesses who had claimed to have seen TRM in the Prince Georges County malls or at Wheaton Plaza? Did he show police his tape recorder and tapes? Was he ever re-questioned regarding his activities?

If corrections were made to the origional TRM sketch based on PG county witnesses - and it was later believed that those people actually saw a second TRM - why was the second TRM sketch not repudiated in favor of the origional?

Was there really a second TRM, or was this simply another case of somebody trying to get into the act by providing false clues?

Alternately, could this PG County man have been the actual TRM at Wheaton Plaza as well, but using a convenient alabi of a motor vehicle accident to say that he was nowhere near Wheaton Plaza that day?

I think that the recent news stories and subsequent debunking of the so called "Confession" of John Mark Karr (Regarding the Jon Benet case) is an example of something police see on a daily basis... someone wanting to "get into the act" by falsely confessing to a well publicised crime.

I have always felt that this was what the individual was doing when confessing to be the Tape Recorder Man seen at three malls in Prince Georges County, Maryland just prior to the disappearance of Sheila and Kate Lyon from Wheaton Plaza in adjacent Montgomery County.

It is far more likely that there was only one "real" TRM and that he was practicing his lines and approach at various malls, prior to making his move.

It might be worth while for police to locate the man who confessed to being TRM Number Two, and to re-interrogate him.

Since we can't find the Tape Recorder Man, maybe we should try to find the tape recorder! If the TRM snatched the girls, then he probably recorded whatever horrible things he done to them. He could then in his sick mind relive this event by listening to the tape. If Fred Coffey is indeed the TRM, like I beleive he is, & he pocessed the tape recorder & tape,what became of these items when he was arrested & imprisoned? A calculated guess would be: these items are either with his last wife, last girlfriend, or his mother.

LE told me they had talked to Coffeys' wives etc. My theory is that they should talk to these people again, with this in mind - If you don't ask the right person, the right question, at the right time, you won't get the right answer.

... My theory is that they should talk to these people again, with this in mind - If you don't ask the right person, the right question, at the right time, you won't get the right answer.

Excellent point. And sometimes you have to keep asking the questions again and again of the same people.

Although I don't want to second guess the investigation (which has been open and continuous since 1975), I often wonder about certain aspects of it and wonder if key witnesses have been re-questioned more recently.

There are a few primary witnesses (or alleged witnesses) that I would look up and question if I were doing the investigation of both the Lyon Sisters Case and also the Kathy Lynn Beatty Case.

Lyon Sisters:
- The boy "Jimmy" who claimed to have seen the girls with TRM would be first on my list of witnesses.
- The self confessed "TRM number 2" would rate a close second.
- Each and every person who had claimed to have seen TRM previously at all different locations in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties would be on that list as well.
- I would also locate and talk with the IBM official who claimed to have seen a man who resembled TRM driving a Tan Ford Station Wagon with what he thought was the Lyon Sisters bound and gagged in back.

Kathy Lynn Beatty:
- There were several kids who saw her the evening that she disappeared. Their stories as adults might be different than what they told as young teens.

The very top of my list of possible suspects for both cases would have to be Mr. Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. - Convicted Pedophile and Child Killer.

Since we can't find the Tape Recorder Man, maybe we should try to find the tape recorder!

I have wondered if Coffey's house was ever searched for items like that. Because he has been in prison for so long I think their is a possibility that evidence like a tape just might be sitting some place in a box.

I was wondering if the recently caught child predator Richard Steve Goldberg from the FBI's most wanted was ever associated or investigated in the Lyon's case. He was originally from the east coast. Does anyone know?

When I talked to LE last time, the Detective had a big brief case full of papers, including a large picture of Coffey. We discused the possibility of 'two TRM', & I indicated that I wasn't 'buying into that idea'. After having told LE of my 2 sightings of TRM, I almost expected them to show me a photo of the 'second TRM', but it never happened. I may have been able to give them a definite yes or no, as to whether or not this was the man I saw. It almost appears, LE feels like the 'second TRM' whether fact, or fictional, does not have much bearing on the case. They could be correct, because we have no idea what information they have on TRM, or TRM's, & they don't volunteer much.

I would love to sit down with other witnesses who also saw TRM, & sort of compare notes. There is such a thing as 'The power of suggestion' which I have tried to avoid in my thoughts, all these years. On the other hand some one could mention something I had forgotten, & I might recall it instantly. It' almost like 'soul searching'.

Jeb, when you saw the large photo of Coffey did you notice if there were any spots on his face like large freckles or liver spots? Also, was this picture black and white or color? Also, from the side view TRM had a long narrow chin that wasn't as noticable from the front view. At least, I didn't pick up on it while looking straight at him coming toward me. His face was flat from the side view also, around the cheek area. It really caught my eye because I've never seen anyone with a flat face like that.

I've often thought it might be a good idea if LE would run the composite of TRM in the Charlotte newspaper, maybe the Bristol newspaper, too, to see if anyone recognized him from years back as being Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.

ShurlT, the picture which Police showed me was in color, & went to the waiste. There were no liver marks or blemishes on his face, on the picture, or on the TRM I saw in person, twice. I asked LE to show me a picture of Coffeys' left profile, but they did not have one. Another thing I remember about TRM, are the heavy lines from his nose going to both sides of his mouth. They still exist in his prison picture, & are deeper now, with age. Coffey is a small man, then & now. Back then, he was able to disguise his appearance, in the type close he wore. I agree with you somewhat, on the fact that Coffeys' chin, and 'nose' were somewhat different. Looking at him on an angle, he reminded me of a duck, for some reason. If by chance Mr Coffey reads this 'Post', he can be as insulted as he wants.

... If by chance Mr Coffey reads this 'Post', he can be as insulted as he wants.

I would welcome Mr. Coffey's participation in this forum. Perhaps he could set us straight on a few things, and put some of these rumors to rest.

You both got me laughing so hard I'm coughing my head off. Maybe someone should send him an invite to the site. Never thought of that. Spouse he'd accept???

You both got me laughing so hard I'm coughing my head off. Maybe someone should send him an invite to the site. Never thought of that. Spouse he'd accept???

I doubt that he has internet access. Stranger things have happened, though. All he would have to do is google his name and this site would be at the top of the list.

As Mr. Huff points out in his article, there were only two known witnesses who actually SAW TRM speaking with the Lyon sisters. It is those two eyewitnesses who might still be able to identify that unknown individual today, but it would be a long shot, and police would have to be very careful in how they presented any photo line up. By placing Meroney's photo side-by-side with the two sketches on his website for any and all to see, Mr. Huff has pretty well eliminated any future eyewitness testimony against Meroney in this case - at least in regard to him being the TRM. A defense lawyer could probably get any such testimony excluded as having been tainted.

Actually, Richard, I'm not sure this is true. The fact that an eye witness saw an arguably suggestive side-by-side comparison would not per se rule their testimony out. The test for determining whether eye witness identification testimony that has been subjected to suggestive procedures is admissible looks at the totality of the circumstances and whether the identification is nonetheless reliable despite the suggestive procedures. There are a number of factors, called the Neil factors (for the Supreme Court case Neil v. Biggers), that the court will look at. I'm not sure that seeing a blog article with the sketch and a photo side-by-side would even be considered unduly suggestive. So, for example, if one of the two eye witnesses who saw the Lyon sisters talking with TRM at the mall were presented with a line-up (five or six men (or their photos) of generally the same age and physical characteristics) and with complete confidence singled out Coffey as the man they saw that day, we cannot say with any certainty that the court would exclude that identification even if that eye witness had seen the crime blog display. Of course, it would be better if the eye witness hadn't seen the blog, and the fact that he had would certainly be used by Coffey's defense counsel to argue for exclusion, but it cannot be said that a court would definitely exclude the eye witnesses testimony identifying Coffey.

However, this does bring to mind a related point, which I've seen you make before. Studies have shown that eye witness identifications are notoriously unreliable. Therefore, I would take all of the descriptions given by the eye witnesses in the Lyon case with a grain of salt, especially things like height, weight and age estimates, which people are always getting wrong.

Questions arise from that story: Was this second TRM photographed? Was his photo shown to any of the witnesses who had claimed to have seen TRM in the Prince Georges County malls or at Wheaton Plaza? Did he show police his tape recorder and tapes? Was he ever re-questioned regarding his activities?

I really hope the answers to all of these questions is yes. It would have been irresponsible to eliminate him as a suspect otherwise. I would not have eliminated him based solely on the car accident alibi.

If the physical description of the PG county TRM given by PG county eye witnesses matched the physical description of the WP TRM given by WP eye witnesses, a fairly reasonable conclusions can be drawn that they are the same man. And, if the man who came forward matched those physical descriptions, his claim not to be at WP that day would be highly suspect and I would vigorously investigate that claim, including showing his photo in a well-conducted photo line-up to the two WP eye witnesses and to any PG county eye witnesses to see if they could pick him out.

The fact that MCP eliminated him as a suspect suggests that WP eye witnesses could not pick him out of a photo array.

The Tape Recorder Man (TRM) was seen at Wheaton Plaza speaking with Sheila and Katherine shortly before their disappearance. How long he was there that day, and how many times he had approached children previously is unknown, although a number of people reported having seen him on previous occasions - at Wheaton Plaza, and at other shopping centers in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties, Maryland.

It occurs to me, isn't it odd that no other people that day came forward to say they or their children were approached that day by TRM? In other words, from what I've read, the eye witnesses who saw TRM talking to the Lyon sisters are the ONLY people to have observed TRM at WP that day. Did he only approach them? This is very odd behavior and you'd think, if he did it with other kids, other eye witnesses would have come forward.

And, even if he only "interviewed" the Lyon girls, you'd think more than two people would have seen it. It wasn't something you saw every day. It would have stuck in my mind, even if I hadn't know the children being interviewed.

This suggests to me he wasn't doing it very long at WP and perhaps the Lyon sisters were the only ones that day.

TRM disappeared almost the same time that the Lyon sisters did. Nobody ever came forward to state that he had been innocently interviewing people, trying out his new tape recorder, or any other such reasonable explanation. He simply disapeared and never surfaced (as TRM) again.

. . . .

It is also possible that TRM was simply a weird guy who, through a BIG coincidence, happened to interview these two girls shortly before some completely unrelated unknown person or persons abducted the girls. Seeing news reports of the girls' disappearance, and the sketch of TRM might have scared him into abandoning his "hobby" and into remaining silent about it for many years afterward.

There are other explanations for why an "innocent" TRM would not come forward. It is possible (although remote) that he never heard about it. Perhaps he was a recluse who did not follow the news or watch TV. The possibility gets less remote if, say, he died or left the area right afterward. While the Lyon sisters' disappearance was big news in Maryland, I wonder if someone in Mississippi would have heard much about it. Most people I encounter and discuss the case with have never even heard of the Lyon sisters. I've found that generally only people who lived in the DC area in 1975 know about it.

There are other explanations for why an "innocent" TRM would not come forward. It is possible (although remote) that he never heard about it. Perhaps he was a recluse who did not follow the news or watch TV. The possibility gets less remote if, say, he died or left the area right afterward. While the Lyon sisters' disappearance was big news in Maryland, I wonder if someone in Mississippi would have heard much about it. Most people I encounter and discuss the case with have never even heard of the Lyon sisters. I've found that generally only people who lived in the DC area in 1975 know about it.

Emery,

Thanks for your very insightful comments. The Tape Recorder Man or "TRM" as many refer to him remains to this day a mystery man. Certainly, it is possible that this guy was simply a weird guy with a newly acquired tape recorder, or an innocent hobbiest. But the circumstances all tend to argue against that. The fact is that the girls did, in fact, disappear on that day in March 1975 shortly after being seen talking to TRM. And TRM seemingly disappeared about the same time.

I agree with you in that he probably was only at Wheaton Plaza for a brief time on 25 March 1975. He may have polished his approach or techniques at other malls first, then decided to make his move on the day in question. Had he been an innocent old guy with a hobby of talking to kids on his lunch hour, he would likely have spent more time at it, and probably would have been seen and remembered by more people that day.

With regard to my earlier remarks about possible "tainting" of evidence by posting a suspect's photo alongside artist's composite drawings - or older photos - I agree that it would have to be a decision made by a judge, but any knowledge of such an on-line comparison would certainly call the question, and it would almost certainly be used by the Defense Attorney to help his client to introduce doubt to the jury. I have seen cases in which eye witness testimony was not allowed because of faulty line-ups, showing of photos, or questioning by police.

You are also very correct about the unreliablity of eye witness descriptions and testimony. Sometimes composite drawings are way off, while at other times they look like they were drawn from life. In the case of "Jimmy" and his un-named buddy, they remembered TRM for a number of reasons. First and foremost, "Jimmy" knew both Lyon sisters quite well because he lived close to them and because he rode the same school bus as Sheila. He recognized them and wondered about the guy they were talking with, even hearing a portion of the conversation. He pointed the guy out to his buddy and they commented about his tape recorder and wondered if they, too, might get to be interviewed. They saw him walk away.

Immediately after the sketch was published, a number of other people came forward and claimed to have seen the same man. They could not add much to "Jimmy's" description or to the drawing, although the same artist did make a slight alteration to the sketch in the mouth area based on their comments.

My biggest concern would be the estimated age (50), which I think Jimmy based on TRM's gray or "salt and pepper" hair. Height might have been off as well, since the man was probably sitting most of the time (as was Jimmy and his friend). Also, recall that in 1975, it was a very popular style to wear boots or high heeled shoes which were covered by flare or bell bottom style trousers. Such a shoe might add a couple of inches to a person's height.

In regard to news coverage of this story - even though the war in VietNam was the main story because of the fall of Saigon, the Lyon Sisters were THE STORY in the Washington DC Metropolitan area, and they stayed front page news for weeks, in the papers, on radio, and on TV. It was, however, picked up by other papers throughout the country because there were Associated Press (AP) feeds the went out. I recently posted one such story printed in Marin County, California.

Richard, I really appreciate how carefully and meticulously you approach this case. You really have a handle on all the known facts. I would love it if someday all your hard work bore fruit.

It sounds like you're pretty confident that TRM (the man seen talking with the Lyon sisters) was the same man seen at the PG county malls. If we assume that fact, then the man who came forward later and said he was the one at the PG county malls was either (1) TRM or (2) a lying attention seeker.

I can think of no other explanation except there are two men with tape recorders, which I agree would be an extraordinary coincidence. But, never discard that possibility entirely. Once a crime is committed, all kinds of seemingly odd but ultimately innocent behavior could take on sinister overtones. Sort of like conspiracy theories. Life is just odd. Sometimes things aren't related.

Do you have a pet theory on this? I suspect option (2) is more likely given that the police seem to have eliminated him as a suspect. I wish we knew more about WHY they had eliminated him.

I don't have any doubts the girls were abducted or came to some foul end. I agree that it would be unlikely that they were harmed outside in the neighborhood. It would have been too difficult to remove their bodies undetected afterward and I would think some evidence would have turned up.

How thoroughly do you think the police eliminated the possibility that the girls were lured into a house in the neighborhood? It was a nice neighborhood, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been a child molestor living there. I remember we had a guy making a bomb on Glenway Drive around that same time. The police only learned of him after it exploded in his basement! I think I read somewhere that some houses were searched. I know for a fact that neither MY house nor any of my friend's houses were searched (although they were not on the Lyon sisters' direct route to the mall).

I've never worked directly with police dogs, but I am familiar with drug dogs and know they can be very reliable. But, I thought I read somewhere here that it rained for two days after they were abducted. (Funny, I actually think I remember this. I seem to recall the local news reporting how frustrated volunteers were that the rain was hindering their efforts to go out searching for the girls, but I may be making that up.)

BTW, do you know exactly in which wooded area it was that the dog alerted? I understand that it could have been scent left from when the girls walked to the mall, but I'm curious. Was this the overgrown area between the edge of the neighborhood and the mall or the wooded area I described between the nursing home and Jennings that now has houses on it? I'm assuming it was not the area between Glenway and Plyers Mill with the creek. That would be really strange. I really don't think the girls would have gone down in there unless they wanted to go swing on the swing (which is a possibility). That swing was a HUGE hit in the neighborhood.

Also, do you believe there is a link between the Lyon sisters disappearance and the other girl (sorry I've forgotten her name, Beatty?) left behind the K-Mart in Oxen Hill? I don't know why, but my gut reaction is that they aren't related despite the close proximity both in time and geography. She was older, and the MO doesn't look the same. Dumping the body behide a store. We don't even know if that girl was truly abducted or just attacked and left for dead. I would suspect a link with a clean abudction but not necessarily with an attack, which "at best" was a botched abduction. Whoever took the Lyon sisters seemed to know what he was doing.

Regarding tainted eye witness identifications, I think we agree on the basics. I just wanted to point out that such testimony can and often (perhaps too often) is admitted despite the witness's exposure to suggestive things such as show ups and photographs. In other words, it's not an automatic disqualification of the witness.

Jackpot: Fred Howard Coffey, Jr does have blue eyes. Confirmed by NC Department of Corrections. Complexion: light, weight: 150, height: 68 inches, Born: Bristol, VA.
Note: TRM had blue eyes and very light complexion with brown spots that might have been freckles. I tried to put a description of him on this site a couple weeks ago but the information I typed was wiped out when I tried to submit it with a message saying I was not logged in when I clearly was at the top of the page.

Note: there is a weight and height descrepancy from some eye witness accounts...mine included but this doesn't worry me.

Military History---Primary Duty: operations and intelligence as...
(Don't know if "as" is incomplete word due to lack of field space)

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/apps/offender/menu1

Under: Main Menu
Click: View Offender Data for Advanced Users
Next Page
Enter DOC Number: 0081135
Check Click: Offender Profile

Other selections can be made, i.e. Military History, etc.

Thank you NC Dept of Corr. Wish other states would do this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back