Brianna Denison 19yo Reno NV #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why you are so upset over the press conference itself. They took responsibility for the error and explained what happened. If they had not, some would suggest that they were trying to hide what happened. Those that do not like LE will always find a reason.

I never said I didn't like LE, so if your last comment was directed at me you are dead wrong. I don't like how they handled the PC and I don't like that they only decided to release that information to clear up their own mistake. If it wasn't harmful to the case for the public to know about the second pair of underwear then why wasn't that told before? They should ONLY release information to help identify this killer, not to protect their image.

I am not sure why you are so upset over the press conference itself. They took responsibility for the error and explained what happened. If they had not, some would suggest that they were trying to hide what happened. Those that do not like LE will always find a reason.

damnd if they do, damned if they don't.....

I never said I didn't like LE, so if your last comment was directed at me you are dead wrong. I don't like how they handled the PC and I don't like that they only decided to release that information to clear up their own mistake. If it wasn't harmful to the case for the public to know about the second pair of underwear then why wasn't that told before? They should ONLY release information to help identify this killer, not to protect their image.

I don't know if you like LE or not. You certainly stated that LE was wrong in having a press conference to protect their image.

I see that they had the press conference to take resposibility for their mistake and to expalin what happened. I am sure this was done after clearing it with the DA.

I think it could have been done without mentioning the second pair of panties.

Either way, they would be critisized by someone, so they do what they think is best. I don't think the press conference was a big deal.

ok - new to the forum and have been following the case for some time.
This has probably been discussed earlier.
I have been searching the sexual registry databases and feel the suspect has committed a crime before.
One interesting person i found in my search - he was convicted of sexual battery and served time in california at age 20.
He would now be 27-28 years of age- pic shows he is clean cut.
What struck me is he lists school zip as "89502". Morrison College is found in that zip code range.
Morrison College has two locations - one right in the midst of U Reno Nevada.
The other campus is located "Reno Tahoe Tech Center", which is right at where the body was found.

But if he has been convicted already, wouldn't his DNA be in the data bank?

But if he has been convicted already, wouldn't his DNA be in the data bank?

Could be backlogged at the state level - if convicted and served time in another state.

National backlog is pretty far behind in processing as well. FBI reports being behind as much as 75% of all samples collected since 2001.

Address history for Nick/Nickolas Underwood:

2 addresses in Grass Valley, CA.
2 addresses in Nevada City, CA.
2 addresses in Cedar Ridge, CA.
1 address in Oxnard, CA.
6 addresses in Reno, Nevada
2 addresses in Sparks, Nevada
1 address is Las Vegas, Nevada

I don't know if you like LE or not. You certainly stated that LE was wrong in having a press conference to protect their image.

I also tell my child when she does something I don't agree with. Doesn't mean I don't like her. I didn't realize we can only be critical of those we don't like. :rolleyes:

I also tell my child when she does something I don't agree with. Doesn't mean I don't like her. I didn't realize we can only be critical of those we don't like. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that either. Who said that?

I would certainly like to know more about this guy. He does appear to fit LE's profile of the perp and have a reason to be in both places. Good find, Rusty!
I agree about his looks fitting the profile - his jaw seems kinda square to me. It's definitely a great find, Rusty - good job!! Let's hope LE has already checked into him and his DNA isn't just sitting in backlog somewhere.

They keep talking a big game like they do have more. Let's just say, I HOPE they have more. If not, this isn't going to be solved without him committing another crime and gaining more clues. It is difficult to even suggest another victim has to be taken in order to get him, but it sounds like it is where we are with this case.
I agree it does sound like there's more that LE is not telling us, but I also agree that if there is anything that could help locate this monster without jeopardizing their case then they should release it. I just have a feeling he's left the area.

Address history for Nick/Nickolas Underwood:

2 addresses in Grass Valley, CA.
2 addresses in Nevada City, CA.
2 addresses in Cedar Ridge, CA.
1 address in Oxnard, CA.
6 addresses in Reno, Nevada
2 addresses in Sparks, Nevada
1 address is Las Vegas, Nevada
It's interesting how he's got addresses in both CA and NV. I wonder when he was in Oxnard? Looking at a map of the state it's not too far from Santa Barbara.

It was all about the DNA mixup entirely. They were upset with the criticism and wanted to "set the record straight" so John Q. Public wouldn't lose total faith in their abilities. No other reason...it was all an elaborately orchestrated PR move to cover their own mistake. If the media and the public waited for two days...then hype over it was greater and more people would pay attention to what they had to say. It was much ado about nothing!
>
How can you say this with such authority? Are you the PIO for the RPD? The fact is none of us have a clue about PD's motive regarding the media in this case. It does appear that they are employing unusual methods as far as the press release in concerned. But we can't even say for sure that the DNA "mixup" was intentional or not, let alone what the RPD's course of action is right now. Lets just think about what we know as fact. Not speculation, hearsay, rumor, or assumptions.......but actual fact.

>
How can you say this with such authority? Are you the PIO for the RPD? The fact is none of us have a clue about PD's motive regarding the media in this case. It does appear that they are employing unusual methods as far as the press release in concerned. But we can't even say for sure that the DNA "mixup" was intentional or not, let alone what the RPD's course of action is right now. Now before you go on some tirade about how it's "unintelligent" (your word) not to always question LE, lets just think about what we know as fact. Not speculation, hearsay, rumor, or assumptions.......but actual fact.
It is a fact. LE IS the one who stated the mix up was indeed a mistake on the part of the officers who were dealing with the media. They tried to downplay it. If it was a ploy on the part of LE then it backfired because it really didn't make much difference if his DNA was on this pair or not since they had the other pair which had already been identified as being owned by someone who lived in the apartment. How is any of this not factual?! It came straight from LE's mouthpiece. Are you going to say that the intentional two day wait was possibly to "scare" the perp? Why would it? He already knew what they had so what could they possibly gain?

But Reno Police Lt. Robert McDonald said Monday the DNA belongs to an unknown male and female. He provided little explanation of the mix-up other than “somebody was misinformed” previously. http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080303/NEWS01/80303044&theme

Could be backlogged at the state level - if convicted and served time in another state.

National backlog is pretty far behind in processing as well. FBI reports being behind as much as 75% of all samples collected since 2001.
Good point, Rusty!

SS said:
If it was a ploy on the part of LE then it backfired because it really didn't make much difference if his DNA was on this pair or not since they had the other pair which had already been identified as being owned by someone who lived in the apartment.

Hey SS, since I've been out of the loop for a bit can you help by pointing me in the direction of a link for this? I didn't realise that LE knows for sure that the second pair of underwear indeed belongs to a tenant in the apartment. Brianna was staying in a house, though. So, which apartment did the underwear come from?

Thanks muches,

Lion

Good to see you back and posting! Check here the the Media Links thread.

Thank you :). It's good to be back. I see you are now a super mod! Me better watch me tongue:D.

Lion

http://www.nvsexoffenders.gov/Search.aspx

last name - underwood
first name - nick

Also of note - heigth is 5'7", initial desciption from one victim, just over 5'6". Looks like he works out. Check out additional photos -- has an embroided shirt , something typically worn with sweats.
His head looks shaved.
Know its a long shot - one last thing. Why is he smiling in this pic, most people convicted of a crime are not too happy.

Has there been any reference to tattoos for this POI? This guy has 3 apparently. The one on his back is his last name. The others are on his head and shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998