LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help clear up something for me? I was just over on the Find Mickey Facebook page and read the post about the bike and it possibly being a rumor that it was found. Instead of me going back through all the previous posts here to find a reputable news link, was her bike indeed recovered or is this still just a rumor?

It would take a lot of guts to go down the off-ramp and carry the bike under the bridge, any time of day or night. The odds of someone driving in there just as one was coming back out from under the bridge are small, but scary. I would lean toward them stopping on the I-10 off-ramp, as few feet as possible after exiting I-10, and dropping the bike then.

Where exactly would one find this scanner thread?
Current page of Mickey's scanner thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7974956#post7974956"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Can someone help clear up something for me? I was just over on the Find Mickey Facebook page and read the post about the bike and it possibly being a rumor that it was found. Instead of me going back through all the previous posts here to find a reputable news link, was her bike indeed recovered or is this still just a rumor?
Lafayette, LA – Lafayette Police are confirming that Mickey Shunick’s bike has been found beneath the Whiskey Bay I-10 Bridge at Exit #127. Some local fisherman located the bike and notified police through the tips line. The entire area and the river are being searched for clues and evidence. Police are asking the public to remain out of the area so that law enforcement officials can search. The case remains under investigation.
http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

Reposting, as this posted after the thread closed:

The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end? I'm still pondering this.

I'm trying to put my self in the perp's shoes. A girl on a bike is missing. I'm leaving Lafayette with a girl and a bike. In some ways, a girl is more easily concealed in a truck than a bike, if unconscious. And maybe the bike is in the back, and a red flag. Separate girl from bike, and now you have a girl, but not the red-alert girl/bike combo.

Think about pulling over to dump bike at night as I head toward Baton Rouge. There is very little traffic.... but I'm afraid that with my luck, the moment I pull to the shoulder on the Basin Bridge, someone comes up behind and sees something. So I remember Whiskey Bay, and how desolate it is. Then I start down the deserted exit. but then I get paranoid that there might be someone down there to see. And there's no other exit for quite awhile. I rush to a decision and stop on the exit ramp - jump out, toss the bike over the side, cringing at whatever noise it may make, then drive through the boat ramp area, freaking out and looking around, then get on the on-ramp and get the hell out/.// with Mickey still with me.

Chicken fried, I like your speculation as I tend to try and put myself in the perp's shoes also. I think the perp is local, though, and has Mickey in Lafayette. The only way he would keep going on I-10 is if he had resources to do so and a place to take her ...where is he going? I think he made the turnaround and came back home.

Your posts have been great, by the way. I appreciate the way you write and think. (I'm local too)

I can assure you after our emergency stop there in the early 90s, there is no restroom. My restroom was in the tall grasses (lol). Not a good experience at all for me.

I took this picture last year on my way to Hammond.

http://i.imgur.com/mdyJ0.jpg

This is basically all you see for many many miles (from Whiskey Bay exit, all the way to ...? right before you hit Baton Rouge). Some areas along the route are more shrouded by trees, and as you can imagine, at night, you can't see anything. But yeah, big mass of swampy terrain with alligators.

A lot of people go to the Atchafalaya Basin for recreation, and Whiskey Bay is one of the areas used to launch into it. I wish I had a better picture of Whiskey Bay exit, but I don't.

Locals need to remember that anyone acting squirrelier than usual or someone that hasn't shown up for work or quit recently or got rid of their vehicle could be related to the case.
Far out there-but you never know.

Frantically trying to catch up here. I attended a family event today with music, no television. Someone turned on the news tonight just as we were leaving, and my husband said he heard the reporter say Mickey's bike was recovered. I thought he might have misunderstood, but from the few posts I've just read here, I guess he was right. D*mn! My heart aches for Mickey's family right now. On the one hand, any new development that moves closer to the truth is good. On the other, when you stop and realize the implications, you wish you'd never heard it. There are still no answers, but the questions become more difficult. :(

Sending up more prayers for Mickey and her family. :prayer:

I don't know. The perp's already proven he is a taker of huge risks. I don't think his actions were chosen out of stupidity. I think it was experience and conceit.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems the risk of being seen were not big concerns to him. MOO

Great pic of the atchafalaya swamp but its tame looking compared to the whiskey bay exit. Yep wish someone had a pic of the exit as you get off it.

Chicken fried, I like your speculation as I tend to try and put myself in the perp's shoes also. I think the perp is local, though, and has Mickey in Lafayette. The only way he would keep going on I-10 is if he had resources to do so and a place to take her ...where is he going? I think he made the turnaround and came back home.

Your posts have been great, by the way. I appreciate the way you write and think. (I'm local too)

Your idea is not a bad one. If someone had stalked her, they would be locally based. So, the bike dump could be a ruse.

Why not go somewhere farther away; dispose of the bike more efficiently? Well, if she's alive, and if this is a single perp, he doesn't want to leave her alone for too terribly long. But I'm still a bit puzzled in why, if she is being held somewhere, it was necessary to dump the bike at all? Why not keep it with her?

I'm still not getting ny head around this yet... it's late.

Thanks for the compliments. Your comments are incisive. We are a community here, which is why I love living in Lafayette. People come out of nowhere here to help when you least expect it.

The more I think about the bike and where it was found, as has been proposed before, it may have been dropped off by someone who happened upon the bike the same night MS disappeared or early the next morning.
Maybe once the thief realized the significance of the 'stolen' bike that they had in their possession they may have freaked out. Instead of doing the right thing by going immediately to LE and reporting where they found the bike in the first place, they decide to ditch it in a remote location but not so much so that the bike would never be found.

Pros and cons to this theory? I'll begin,

Con No. 1. ~ If witnessed dropping the bike off, they'd become suspects in a kidnapping case versus simply a bike thief/s. Would anyone take that risk? Once the bike was ditched, they'd be guilty of impeding an investigation as well.

In the slideshow that bitizen so graciously linked us to-there is a photo of LE standing in the weeds to the left of the road. In front of an "unlawful to litter" sign. Taunting? If this is the precise area the bike was in, may be.

Yep, I think it is someone familiar with this area and knew there was nothing at the whiskey bay exit. So why not take a chance and dump something or someone there? Jmo Serial killer Derrick Todd Lee dumped two women's bodies there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni