FL - 2 die, 57 hospitalized after Tampa music festival

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Drug overdoses suspected in deaths of 2 Tampa concertgoers
tampa-concert.jpg

A 21-year-old college student and a 22-year-old man died of suspected drug overdoses at a Florida electronic dance music festival that sent another 57 concertgoers to the hospital.
Katie Bermudez and Alex Haynes were both rushed to Tampa hospitals Saturday after attending the two-day Sunset Music Festival.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ie-suspected-drug-overdoses-article-1.2656778

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...dies-tampa-music-festival-20160531-story.html

Sounds like they had 'serotonin syndrome.'

Just curious how you can come to that conclusion with so little info?

Love the mom's statement. "Life is choices, and your choices can affect you further on. We told Katie. Katie did not make this choice on her own," she told Fox 13.

from another link.... seems to leave a lot of wiggle room.
Meanwhile, the mother of the two young people who died said she did not think her daughter was a heavy drug user

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/150380486-story

Sounds like they had 'serotonin syndrome.' Drugs are not all about fun no matter what some people would want us to believe.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/basics/definition/CON-20028946

Looked more like overheating due to (MDMA?) and not staying hydrated enough. Was this an outdoor festival?

These deaths used to be somewhat common back in the 90s at raves. MDMA makes your body temp regulation screwy, so if you then dance in the heat AND don't stay hydrated, it's a bad combo.

But I'm not a doctor. (I know what serotonin syndrome is but I can't recall the symptoms off the top of my head. Off to google.)

Edit: looks like it could go either way (or both). Again, would be interested to know if the festival was outdoors.

Just curious how you can come to that conclusion with so little info?
Love the mom's statement. "Life is choices, and your choices can affect you further on. We told Katie. Katie did not make this choice on her own," she told Fox 13.
from another link.... seems to leave a lot of wiggle room.
Meanwhile, the mother of the two young people who died said she did not think her daughter was a heavy drug user
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/150380486-story

Was she mother of both young people or mother of one of the two young people who died?
From link: "21-year-old Katie Bermudez, of Kissimmee" and "22-year-old Alex Haynes, of Melbourne."
Conceivably she could be either. Ambiguous reporting, imo.

Mom's stmts, possibly contradictory? She said,
--- "Katie did not make this choice on her own." <-- suggests someone else surreptitiously administered drug to Katie who was unaware of it.
--- she did not think her daughter was a heavy drug user.
ETA: on fox13 vid ,http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/150380486-story
reporter Evan Axelbank said - "...mother did not know her to be a drug user."
Difficult to process info? For most it would be impossible to think of 21 y/o dau as dead. No snark or sarc, may take only one time to be fatal.

Sad, sad, sad for all involved.

I did not even realize the non typo but omitted the words mother of one of the

I did not even realize the non typo but omitted the words mother of one of the
Not your typo, it was reported that way.
C&P from link:
"Meanwhile, the mother of the two young people who died said she did not think her daughter was a heavy drug user, but hospital staff alluded to possible overdoses from the festival."

If saying mother of the "two young people" is inaccurate, it is reporting or editing error, not yours.

Rave parties were the rage in the 1990s and up to mid 2000s. They are coming back.

It is just so sad that in this time of there being plenty of information about drugs readily available to our young folks, that in the name of "having a good time" they still sometimes will ingest almost anything that anybody hands them! I am sure they did not start our their day by saying "Hey, I'm going to go to a music festival, take a drug and die because of it". And maybe had taken that same drug 10 times before. Maybe 10 of their friends took it along with them that very day.

I think one of the key pieces of information we need to impart to our children and grandchildren is that with street drugs you never, ever know what you are getting.

Condolences to these families.

It is just so sad that in this time of there being plenty of information about drugs readily available to our young folks, that in the name of "having a good time" they still sometimes will ingest almost anything that anybody hands them! I am sure they did not start our their day by saying "Hey, I'm going to go to a music festival, take a drug and die because of it". And maybe had taken that same drug 10 times before. Maybe 10 of their friends took it along with them that very day.

I think one of the key pieces of information we need to impart to our children and grandchildren is that with street drugs you never, ever know what you are getting.

Condolences to these families.

Exactly. It is just so dangerous to take anything when someone else gives it. The person could be trying to sell some pills to make money and faking it to be something else when it could be a real medication for something that is not something you ever want to ingest.

Its so dangerous. And lots of different pills look like other pills. So people could think they are taking something when it is not what they think. And with generics these days they look different anyway.

Its very dangerous and I agree more education could be helpful. Constant education and warnings about this sort of thing needs to continue.

Think how long ago the Woodstock had the bad acid going around and they made an announcement from the main stage to the people.
And today it continues to be a problem. Constant education is always needed for this sort of thing. Always a new generation to warn to.

And we just hope the kids hear and will listen to the warnings.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back