1 in 50 babies abused, neglected in U.S.

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/04/03/infant.neglect.ap/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- About 1 in 50 U.S. infants are victims of nonfatal child abuse or neglect in a year, according to the first national study of the problem in that age group.
art.newborn.gi.jpg
Other studies have looked at child abuse and neglect, but this is believed to be the first to focus on infants.

corner_wire_BL.gif

The study focused on children younger than 1 year, and found nearly a third were one week old or younger when the abuse or neglect occurred.
"It is a particularly vulnerable group," said study co-author Rebecca Leeb, of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"We were struck by the fact there was a clustering of maltreatment with the very, very early age group."
The researchers counted more than 91,000 infant victims of abuse and neglect in the period October 1, 2005 to September 30, 2006.
The information came from a national database of cases verified by protective services agencies in 45 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Other studies have looked at national child abuse and neglect cases, but this is believed to be the first to focus on infants, said Leeb, a CDC epidemiologist.
About 30,000 of the cases involved infants aged one week or younger. About 68 percent of those cases were attributed to neglect.

I knew it was bad but never imagined it was this bad. God help us all what is this nation coming to.

oh my and agreed what is this world coming to. when will it stop

Sorry that is suppose to say 1 in 50. How can I change it?

Oh...so very sad that we treat our most precious possessions this way. :(

Sorry that is suppose to say 1 in 50. How can I change it?

to change the title go to edit and then advanced options. It will let you change the title within the 24 hour window to edit a post.

I shouldn't have read this. I just can not understand this. Can not. How in the ^&%$@ world. Tiny babies. What have they ever done wrong?? :(

Thats an astounding number of babies. Everything is just getting worse.

What a sad state of affairs we have come to. This is embarrassing for our country. And WE are supposed to save the world all the time? We can't even save ourselves obviously.:rolleyes:

I shouldn't have read this. I just can not understand this. Can not. How in the ^&%$@ world. Tiny babies. What have they ever done wrong?? :(

I wish I hadn't read either, all it did was upset me. Something has to be done, but what? Just heartbreaking...

91,000?!?! That's outrageous. Even more alarming....they will be adults someday.

Ugh.

This is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

I did it. But you can do it. too - just edit your post and change the title, you may have to use the advanced editor.

Although I will say the original title sure got my attention.

Thanks will do next time. I was trying in regular edit and it wouldn't let me so I must have to do advance edit.

I was thinking more about this and I just cannot believe this many babies are abused and neglected and if you think about it these are only the ones that were reported that means there are more than that actually that are not caught.

Sorry for the coldhearted angle - but we all pay more in taxes/social programs/jails/education etc. because of this.

I wish adoption could be seen as the most positive, highest esteemed sacrifice that a mother could ever make - and that more girls would choose it. Also - teen pregnancy is mostly a problem of older men (over 18) impregnating younger women (under 18). The more we can do to prevent that, the better all of these statistics will be.

I would venture to guess that some of those babies are taken into care simply because they have older siblings in care and the parents haven't completed (or complied) with services. In those instances, the babies haven't actually had the "chance" to be neglected or abused yet. It is more a preventative type measure.

I am very sad to hear this. I wish there could be more support for young mothers somehow. Also, pre-parenting education.

I am so glad my new grandson will have lots of people "looking out for him".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back