17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks we are starved for new information?

We've been debating slips of the tongue and an expression of condolence that wasn't an apology for days now...

We could talk about these phone bills ... and the fact that they are based on Pacific Standard time, which would not at all line up with Crump's story. At some point the story changed to Martin looking on TM's phone, instead of phone bills.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7852444&postcount=800"]Phone Records[/ame]

"SUNNY HOSTIN, CNN LEGAL ANALYST:
Good morning, Kyra. I do not have a copy, though, of the sworn affidavit, but I did speak to one of the Martin family attorneys this morning for at least half an hour and she and I discussed this phone call.

Apparently Trayvon Martin on that night had been trading phone calls with a 16-year-old friend, a girl, and as they traded phone calls, one of the last phone calls, was at about 7:04.

Trayvon Martin told his friend that someone was following him. He was nervous. He was concerned. She explained to him that he should run. He told her he was not going to run, but he was going to walk quickly in an effort to get away from the person that he thought was pursuing him.

Well, Kyra, she then heard Trayvon Martin say to someone, "Why are you following me?"

That person then said to Trayvon Martin, "Who are you? Why are you here? What is your name?" <----- I think Sunny threw in that last one.

At that point at about 7:16 p.m., she says that the phone call dropped, that she felt that someone had pushed or tackled Trayvon and, at that point, the phone call dropped.

She tried to call him several times after that, no response, and, according to the timeline that the police are giving us, someone from the police department did arrive at about 7:17, just a minute later."

Benjamin Crump press conference
"We took another step in this — what has been a daily journey for the past three and a half weeks.

Mr. Martin, on Sunday evening [March 18th], was working with his cell phone account, trying to figure out Trayvon’s password. And he looked on it, and he saw who the last person was that Trayvon Martin talked to while he was alive.

He called me late Sunday night and told me that he had called the young lady, and he told me, and I was just utterly shocked when he told me the time that they talked."

911 calls were released on 3/16. Red emphasis mine.

No. But now a whole lot more people can seek it out who may never have bothered to 'sleuth' someone without a name.
If you are agreeing with the OP's opinion that O'M put her name out there deliberately intending for a multitude of strangers to dig up dirt on her (btw: I've seen no dirt), I will respectfully disagree with you both. JMO

Mod note:

ANYONE who posts the numbers 666 or $6.66 or any variation thereof will be going on a long vacation.

CUT IT OUT NOW!

But you would agree not by the minute? Have you seen any attorneys advertise their rates by the minute?

I don't understand what you are complaining about, so some of us can actually do math and broke it down to charges by the minute. Simple math equation.

BBM: Clients who can afford $400/hour lawyers stopped putting up with that nonsense years ago, AFAIK. When I last worked for a law firm 8 years ago, we were billing in 1/10s of an hour, or every six minutes. (And that was the largest firm in the world at the time, a British firm with very wealthy clients.)

And attorneys were expected to absorb a lot of expenses for which they used to bill (including secretarial help).

But O'Mara will certainly have at least one co-counsel, and maybe a second to "handle" the client: that's another $400/hour or so right there just for junior counsel. Add in a paralegal and a jury consultant (I'm being conservative in estimating the total staff) and you're already close to $1,000/hour. Notice I've said nothing about paid expert witnesses.

Then O'Mara will bill for every copy made, every long-distance call made or fax sent, messenger fees for taking documents to court (and there will be truckloads of paper), transportation expenses, hotel and meal allowances if the trial is not held very close to where his office is located. Etc. and so forth.

He's right that $200K won't begin to cover it.

But if all this sounds like a lot, compare it to the SA's staff, including police, attorneys, investigators, et al.

O'Mara stated that it would cost around a million to defend GZ. Do you think that it will cost the SA one million dollars? In the Anthony case,

The State Attorney's Office said it cost $141,362 to prosecute the Casey Anthony case.
This does not include the costs for the Orange County Sheriff's office.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._casey-anthony-case-cindy-anthony-yuri-melich

The defence team charged the state over $147,000.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey_anth...-defense-team-charges-state/story?id=14125305

Unlike the accused perps in the cases cited, GZ was in custody from the git-go and has never denied that he killed TM. OP presented those cases to point out that the perps in those cases wouldn't have contacted the parents. Apples, oranges IMO.

JMO

No, I brought up those cases because those parents were the parents of murder victims... just like Trayvon's parents! George Zimmerman, like Scott Peterson and OJ Simpson has been charged with the murder of their children. It has nothing to do with George admitting anything. It has everything to do with the fact that he has been charged with the murder of Trayvon Martin. I see no reason for Mr. O'Mara to contact Trayvon's parents attorneys for anything other than setting up a court appointed deposition.

MOO

I believe your point is correct, but we should qualify that you mean "most criminal defense attorneys". Attorneys who defend large corporations in civil suits (the lawyers I've worked for most of the time) make quite a bit of money: small fortunes, in fact.

You're right Nova. Most criminal defense attorneys that work for smaller law firms do not bring in a lot of money for their firm. When you think about it they have to be dedicated. jmo

How often are prisoners allowed to use the phone.? Wanna bet first thing he did when he was allowed to use the phone was check to see how much money had been added to that paypal account since he had last checked...JMHO
...Belly laugh...

He offered up the bare bones. How it plays out is a whole other story, IMO. I don't understand the trashing of the 'oh-so-clever' state. What have they done to offend?
No trashing. I was replying to Dr. Fessel who listed three things as the only real evidence in the case, citing DG.

My remark was an attempt at cleverness myself, as to the counterclaims against the crowing in the media on O'M's brilliant strategy -- and meant no slur against the good investigator or the SA. JMO

/bbm

Note for the mods: the Hot Cases description on the forums page still says it contains Trayvon Martin /George Zimmerman discussion

If you are agreeing with the OP's opinion that O'M put her name out there deliberately intending for a multitude of strangers to dig up dirt on her (btw: I've seen no dirt), I will respectfully disagree with you both. JMO

I was responding to a particular assertion of your post. That is all.

How is it not the same? George Zimmerman has been charged in the murder of their son? Not manslaughter. Not Negligent Homicide. But Murder. He's claiming self-defense, but that is not what the SA is claiming. They are claiming murder. Doesn't matter if he admits to shooting Trayvon in an act of self defense, what matters is that he has been charged with Trayvon's murder.

Trayvon's parents, as it stands, are the parents of a murder victim. What does Mr. O'Mara have to say to them or their attorney? Nothing! He needs to worry about his client... not his clients victims family.

MOO
BBM. Bolded statement is not technically true. That is the difference, IMO. Cheers.

Actually, that's not a flat-out lie as GZ had no idea how old TM was when he shot him. He wouldn't have found out TM's age until later, after TM was identified.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

I still don't understand the significance of how old GZ thought Trayvon was. What difference does it make? He murdered a young man, whether he thought he was a minor or not has no importance under the law, unless his sentence can be harsher for killing a minor. I doubt the judge or jury will care whether he knew it or not. I also believe his own words to the dispatcher will convince any reasonable person that he was fairly certain that Trayvon was a minor. jmo

You are wrong.

1) Even if he was able to use a phone card to call PayPal, unless he had his PayPal account numbers memorized, they wouldn't give him any info.

2) Whether or not he purchased phone cards, he couldn't use them at the facility he was at.

3) PayPal would not accept collect calls.

http://webbond.seminolesheriff.org/JailInmateFq.aspx

5.Can inmates receive telephone calls?

Incoming calls or messages to the inmate will not be accepted. However inmates have access to telephones during the day and can only call you collect.

So, unless you have a link saying he could use (not just purchase) calling cards, I will believe the guidelines set by Seminole County Correctional Facilities.

If his brother was handling the account for him IMO GZ would have called his brother. Which is why RZ, jr. may not have been present via phone for the bond hearing. jmo

Ummmm, no now a days the charge by portion of the hour.

They certainly do and there are several legal-billing computer programs that make it easy. As I said above, at the last large firm where I worked, they billed in 6-minute intervals or .1 of an hour. But even back in the 1980s, Skadden, Arps (a large, NYC firm) was rounding off to the nearest quarter-hour.

Nobody gets away with billing $400 for going 1 minute over the hour. Not even shrinks do that.

I still don't understand the significance of how old GZ thought Trayvon was. What difference does it make? He murdered a young man, whether he thought he was a minor or not has no importance under the law, unless his sentence can be harsher for killing a minor. I doubt the judge or jury will care whether he knew it or not. I also believe his own words to the dispatcher will convince any reasonable person that he was fairly certain that Trayvon was a minor. jmo

It only became important after GZ chose to lie about it imo. It seems offensive to me to offer an apology and then lie in it.

Mod note:

ANYONE who posts the numbers 666 or $6.66 or any variation thereof will be going on a long vacation.

CUT IT OUT NOW!
Oh and that goes for 6.67 too you clever people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard