GUILTY OR - Matthew Hyrup for beating, raping 1yo boy, Medford, 2012

Missizzy

Reaction score
Is my thread header pertinent? I believe so. We need to pay close attention to the precursors to child rape and assault, IMO. Otherwise, how will we know how to systemically affect change? Did my own community let this young man down? Are we somehow culpable in this toddler's assault?

The story is beyond tragic. I well remember Zeman, a monster who thoroughly terrorized his victims. It doesn't surprise me in the least that one of his young male victims turned to drugs and then acted out his inner rage. Does it excuse it? Heck no. Not a bit. But I get it. We absolutely must commit ourselves to reaching out to victims--and especially not forget the male victims--before it's too late. In our county, as in most, there are slim choices for teens who are struggling with the aftermath of abuse. They fall through the cracks far too easily.....until they rise to the surface years later, when another child is brutalized.

My heart goes out to this little boy and his Mama.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120309/NEWS/203090326

Alleged toddler abuser was sex victim himself
March 9, 2012

"A Medford man accused of brutally beating and sexually assaulting his toddler stepson was himself sexually abused as a teen, court records show. Matthew Karl Hyrup, 27, of the *advertiser censored* block of South Columbus Avenue, pleaded not guilty Wednesday before Judge Tim Barnack in Jackson County Circuit Court to three Measure 11 charges — first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful sexual penetration and first-degree sodomy. He is being held in the Jackson County Jail on $1 million bail. The toddler continues to be treated at a Portland hospital...."

and

"....Hyrup was among a string of victims who were sexually abused by Daniel Paul Zeman in the 1990s and 2000s. Zeman, now 72, befriended youths at local motocross events, invited them to his east Medford home and chaperoned them on out-of-town trips. Medford police Detective Diane Sandler testified at Zeman's trial that the case was the most horrific she'd worked on. Several adult men curled up in a fetal position during interviews at the Police Department and sobbed, she told the judge. Two men became suicidal after coming forward, she added. Hyrup told investigators before the trial that he'd lived with Zeman and was sexually abused "approximately 400 times" when he was between the ages of 12 and 16...."

and

"...Mercy Flights medical personnel responded to a call of a child in distress at the home at 4:22 p.m. The boy was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center, where doctors found both internal and external injuries all over his body, determined the child had been severely beaten and sexually assaulted, and called police...."

More at link (plus mugshot)

I have a good friend who reads WS but is not a member. I knew he'd go ballistic over my thread header. We have never ever agreed on the subject of the abused becoming the abuser. He thinks there's no excuse whatsoever. I agree 100%.

However, I still think that we, as a society, must pay close attention to the longtime outcome of any sex abuse case. IME, children who are victims and who don't receive proper therapy and/or family support (I'm making assumptions about Hyrup, I admit) are bound to be more apt to act out in some fashion. Heck, even victims who do receive therapy and support can act out their rage.

Nothing is ever a valid rationale or excuse for harming a child. Nothing. But don't you think that we need to be mindful of an abuser's past history and precursors to their own crimes?

There's a part of me which wishes that more time could be tacked onto Zeman's sentence after these new horrid developments.

An article about Zeman's crimes:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050825/BIZ/308259998&cid=sitesearch

Sex crime victims face their abuser
August 25, 2005

"Motocross pedophile Daniel Zeman, 65, is sentenced to a prison term that will probably amount to life. More than 10 years after being molested by a motocross mentor, several local men Wednesday faced their abuser in court, venting rage and frustration and discussing their own struggles to move on.

Daniel Paul Zeman, 65, will likely spend the rest of his natural life in prison after pleading guilty in Jackson County Circuit Court to abusing four boys in the 1990s. At least 13 other boys were victims, but those crimes could not be prosecuted under the statute of limitations, officials said. One victim told police he was molested 30 years ago...."

and

"....Exploiting an interest in motorcycles, Zeman befriended boys at local motocross events, invited them to his east Medford home and chaperoned them on out-of-town trips. He used one protege to recruit other boys into his circle, showering them all with gifts after they complied with his sexual advances..."

More at link (plus the following advice)

Adults with these characteristics raise red flags, experts say:

They do not respect boundaries.

They would rather be around children than peers or seem preoccupied with children.

They seem to engage in frequent contact with children, such as casual touching, caressing, wrestling, tickling, combing children's hair or having children sit in their laps.

They act like children when they are with children or allow children to do questionable or inappropriate things.

They do not have children but seem to know too much about fads or music popular with children.

They are liked by your children for reasons you don't understand.

They want to take children on special outings too frequently or plan activities that include being alone with a child.

They seem able to infiltrate family and social functions, are always available to watch children or seem too good to be true.

They have been accused of or convicted of sex abuse.

Source: Jackson County Sexual Abuse Community Awareness Training

I have a good friend who reads WS but is not a member. I knew he'd go ballistic over my thread header. We have never ever agreed on the subject of the abused becoming the abuser. He thinks there's no excuse whatsoever. I agree 100%.

However, I still think that we, as a society, must pay close attention to the longtime outcome of any sex abuse case. IME, children who are victims and who don't receive proper therapy and/or family support (I'm making assumptions about Hyrup, I admit) are bound to be more apt to act out in some fashion. Heck, even victims who do receive therapy and support can act out their rage.

Nothing is ever a valid rationale or excuse for harming a child. Nothing. But don't you think that we need to be mindful of an abuser's past history and precursors to their own crimes?

There's a part of me which wishes that more time could be tacked onto Zeman's sentence after these new horrid developments.

I very much agree - we need more studies. We need better therapy and treatment, not only for those who are victims but for those who have pedophilia urges and want to resist. We don't know enough and we fail thousands of children every year because of this. With better treatment option, we protect kids. This needs to be a priority, since there are so many abusers who were victims themselves, and at least a small portion of pedophiles actively want treatment for their urges. We can do better for these people.

One of the things that is needed is to educate parents. It isn't enough to just put a bunch of names on a list, parents need to be educated on specifically what to look for when a predator targets their child. IMO most parents are still thinking that a predator is the "dirty old man" and thus they totally miss the helpful guy in the neighborhood, the helpful well liked "coach." The stepfather or uncle who offers to help out with the kid who is "acting out."

IMO the average parent doesn't even know the signs of when their child has been abused. They still think their child will come to them.

One of the things that is needed is to educate parents. It isn't enough to just put a bunch of names on a list, parents need to be educated on specifically what to look for when a predator targets their child. IMO most parents are still thinking that a predator is the "dirty old man" and thus they totally miss the helpful guy in the neighborhood, the helpful well liked "coach." The stepfather or uncle who offers to help out with the kid who is "acting out."

IMO the average parent doesn't even know the signs of when their child has been abused. They still think their child will come to them.

Or they go in the complete opposite direction and view every man as a predator. Education can go a long way in combating hysteria as well.

So, exactly how do we go about reaching men and women who discover that they are sexually drawn to children? Therapists are mandated reporters. How does a person get help before they harm?

IMO, Hyrup is one horrifically angry and bitter young man. I don't have much hope for any rehabilitation. I could be wrong......

I believe that the recent sex assault which occurred at the Medford YMCA (by two 10 year olds and a teen--we have a thread), precipitated this article. A step in the right direction:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120305/NEWS/203050307

New effort aims to stem sex abuse early
March 5, 2012

"Organizers of a pilot program designed to help young children who are exhibiting inappropriate sexual behavior are hoping early intervention will prevent lifelong problems.

Dubbed RISK — Response to Inappropriately Sexualized Kids — the team includes members from child welfare of the Department of Human Services, local law enforcement, the Jackson County District Attorney's Office, local mental health practitioners, the Children's Advocacy Center, Jackson County school representatives and the county juvenile department. The goal is to help identify children, sometimes as young as 8 or 9, who have been exhibiting high-risk behaviors, which would be considered sexual perpetrator behaviors in older children, and then provide the children with therapy and their parents/caregivers with education, said Marlene Mish, CAC executive director...."

and

"...."We're starting with boundaries because (other) people have breached these children's boundaries," Mish said. Parents and/or caregivers also are part of the healing equation. They must understand the issues behind the cause of the sexual reactivity, and supervise the children to properly protect others, she said. "I don't believe that the community has any clue how many children are acting out in these ways. It's the dark secret hidden under all the other secrets about child sex abuse," Mish said. "No one wants to know what children are doing to younger siblings, neighborhood children, animals or to themselves. It's just too much. But this does exist. And one simply can't know this, and wait until he/she is 12 and qualifies for help."

More at link

He also has a biological son.... 5/6 or so...
He also has a little girl 4/5 or so...
He also has at least one nephew... that looks 3/4 or so.
Then there are all the cousins and friends kids....

It appears that the family is supporting him... and possibly the new wife as well. I cannot find anything directly from her though.

The family/friends appear to be denying the sexual assault charges completely, that they didn't happen at all and protesting his innocence for the rest of it.
I haven't seen them give a theory, perhaps they are believing the story he told? I don't know.

He also has a cousin who was murdered... they just had a hearing/sentencing in October 2011.

So, exactly how do we go about reaching men and women who discover that they are sexually drawn to children? Therapists are mandated reporters. How does a person get help before they harm?

IMO, Hyrup is one horrifically angry and bitter young man. I don't have much hope for any rehabilitation. I could be wrong......

I don't know. We had a client who had been searching for therapists and participating in programs for over twenty years. He'd been a victim himself. Since he hadn't acted on it, the therapists did not have to report him - but there was nothing that truly helped him. When he reached a bad point in his life, he lost will power and started downloading child *advertiser censored* images. That case was a real eye opener for me - I had seen things in black and white until then. I hadn't realized how little proven, helpful therapy we have for these people. The self loathing this client had for himself was sad to see. He's in prison, and rightfully so - but when he gets out, what then? There's nothing to help him. It's tragic and it leads to more victims.

I believe that the recent sex assault which occurred at the Medford YMCA (by two 10 year olds and a teen--we have a thread), precipitated this article. A step in the right direction:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120305/NEWS/203050307

New effort aims to stem sex abuse early
March 5, 2012

"Organizers of a pilot program designed to help young children who are exhibiting inappropriate sexual behavior are hoping early intervention will prevent lifelong problems.

Dubbed RISK — Response to Inappropriately Sexualized Kids — the team includes members from child welfare of the Department of Human Services, local law enforcement, the Jackson County District Attorney's Office, local mental health practitioners, the Children's Advocacy Center, Jackson County school representatives and the county juvenile department. The goal is to help identify children, sometimes as young as 8 or 9, who have been exhibiting high-risk behaviors, which would be considered sexual perpetrator behaviors in older children, and then provide the children with therapy and their parents/caregivers with education, said Marlene Mish, CAC executive director...."

and

"...."We're starting with boundaries because (other) people have breached these children's boundaries," Mish said. Parents and/or caregivers also are part of the healing equation. They must understand the issues behind the cause of the sexual reactivity, and supervise the children to properly protect others, she said. "I don't believe that the community has any clue how many children are acting out in these ways. It's the dark secret hidden under all the other secrets about child sex abuse," Mish said. "No one wants to know what children are doing to younger siblings, neighborhood children, animals or to themselves. It's just too much. But this does exist. And one simply can't know this, and wait until he/she is 12 and qualifies for help."

More at link

Thank you for this, particularly the BBM. Many people really have no understanding (or desire to develop one) of how very prevalent child upon child inappropriate sexual acting out is. It is a very difficult thing to address. First you must know that a child has been abused or is a risk for this behavior. Then the child must actually admit they were violated (many are reticent to do so). Then that child must receive adequate therapy or help in processing what has happened.

So often this does not happen and then the victim becomes a perpetrator of sorts, acting out this confusion with peers, neighbors, cousins, siblings, etc.

I realize we have wandered a bit OT here but this is a problem close to my heart and the thanks button was not enough.

The Children's Advocacy Center of Jackson County is dear to my heart. They played an integral part in our family's support during our awful trial.

You are correct, tlcox, most people have no earthly clue......

My heart goes out to this baby. It surely doesn't sound as if he has had the greatest start in life. An update:

http://www.kobi5.com/component/zoo/item/hyrup-faces-judge-barnack.html

Hyrup faces Judge Barnack
March 7, 2012

"In court Wednesday afternoon, Matthew Hyrup, 27, plead 'not guilty' to charges of assault, unlawful sexual penetration, and sodomy. Medford police say last month, Hyrup beat and sexually penetrated his 18 month old stepson, C......"

and

"...Officials could not give us a status update on little C. They say the boy is not listed. He could have been discharged or asked for additional privacy...."

and

"...In a previous interview, family and friends for Hyrup said the allegations against him don't make sense and are flat out false."

More at link

A video report about Hyrup's appearance in court:

http://kdrv.com/news/local/240896

Mathew Hyrup Pleads Not Guilty

"...I was aware that he would have that kind of family support, but it is unique perhaps for individuals charged with this nature of crime that he would have so much family support," says Public Defender Justin Rosas...."

More at link

It is odd to have so much support. I wonder how they are able to rationalize this - they must be in deep denial.

It is odd. Either deep denial or they've stood by and watched Hyrup struggle for years with his inner torment and are not shocked.

I'll be very interested as to what decisions DHS makes about the little boy's placement. Will he be returned to his mom or placed in care?

Maybe they just believe that after what he went through, there is no way he could do this.
Or maybe they actually believe there isn't evidence there to prove it.
There have been some comments made that hint at that...

Great news!! Blessings on this little guy and his loved ones. He's going to need all the love and support he can get.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120322/NEWS07/203220341

Toddler is recovering from abuse, police say
March 22, 2012

"A Medford toddler who was allegedly beaten and sexually abused by his stepfather has been released from a Portland hospital and placed in foster care. The 18-month-old boy is walking, talking and smiling, but still has medical issues from his injuries, investigators said. He was released from Legacy Emanuel Medical Center on March 20.

Matthew Karl Hyrup, 27, of the *advertiser censored* block of South Columbus Avenue, faces charges of first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful sexual penetration and first-degree sodomy, linked to the child's injuries. Hyrup had been married to the boy's mother just weeks before the child was found naked and unresponsive in his arms when she returned home..."

More at link

It is odd. Either deep denial or they've stood by and watched Hyrup struggle for years with his inner torment and are not shocked.

I'll be very interested as to what decisions DHS makes about the little boy's placement. Will he be returned to his mom or placed in care?

Beautiful, beautiful little baby.

This little guy was placed in his maternal grandmom's care and mom will get supervised visits. That's another aspect to this case. This little boy's mom called her Doctor? Not 911? How does that happen? Nurses described this child's injury to look as he fell from a cliff and hit every rock on the way down? You call a Doctor? Aside from fearing her husband is there any other answer here?

***Also I found another of Zeman's victims is doing prison time for shooting and killing his friend and then dumping him outside a hospital. He was on meth. Common factor so far? Guns and meth.***

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060330/BIZ/303309995

Dick Laurence Daniels is the guy's name who killed his friend.

Cases like this can put a huge stigma on survivors/victims as well. The stats say only a small number if victims of child sex abuse go onto victimize. Is this true? However, if someone has told they are a survivor won't they be stigmitized as in not a soul on earth will let a kid near them within a bajillion feet?

Just MHO could it be Hyrup's mother is so fiercely defending him out of guilt?

Did he hurt any other children? If not and some reports are correct his mother had physically hurt the lil guy in the past wouldn't that render him more vulnerable to someone himself who was hurt and whose mom allowed him to live with a predator?

Just thinking out loud.

Prayers baby C will recover and grow up to be a healthy, happy young man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back