Original newspaper items/articles

Thanks Mayfairlight for the 1977 newspaper article...very interesting.

I read months back, truck driver, Henry had told LE his brother 'gave' him the pistol for Christmas several years before the murders....

Hmmm! my question is: was the stolen pistol really a gift?

I found the following very enlightening...
The article says:
Sheriff Parnell says the (.357) gun has been traced to a 1974 theft of several weapons in Durham, North Carolina...

My question is:
Was the 1974 gun theft in Durham, NC. ever solved?

WAS stealing guns in the home break-in and the murder and robbery of the couple in S.C. all done by the same people????
there was definitely a stolen Smoking Gun!

It's my good common sense opinion H. and his brother should have been throughly investigated in connection to both cases...
Where there's Smoke there's Fire!

I also think it established the weapon, because another one has been mention as well.

I looked for that weapons theft and I'm sure I saved an article from that, I only found one. (In fact I've saved lots of articles, I'll just need the time to post them here.)
There was apparantly a similar crime in a nearby city that year, with a young couple being attacked, it just caught my eye but might be irrelevant.

I agree Mysterylover, why weren't they? There is nothing else about this guy or the finding of the weapon apart from this clipping. Something weird was going on:waitasec:

Mayfairlight, the article only establishes that the gun was used in the murders if the story line is believable. Personally, I don't think it is. Behind letting a felon walk, stands a guy with something to gain. There's nothing about that article that eliminates the possibility of an additional weapon which would indicate two shooters. The neck shots had to be made with a smaller caliber weapon. Then again, those neck shots may be bogus. Although the neck shot photos are framed, they look very much like drawings and not actual photos.

These murder victims have too many bullet holes, shot in the back, shot in the chest, shot in the head, shot in the neck. Talk about overkill, and not a peep out of the county to correct any of it.

I think back to a case over in Georgia, a few years after this case, where the sheriff was looking the other way as drugs were smuggled through his county. He even had someone from Georgia State Police involved in it. They were both getting kick-backs.

Could the same thing have happened in SC? Sure. It happens in a lot of places, drug smuggling, money laundering, etc.

I've heard it said more than once, if some guys weren't cops, they'd be on the wrong side of the law. Every dept. has its bad apples.

I am obsessed with this case. I live in South Carolina less than a 2 hour drive to the crime scene. I have never been there, but I plan on getting there over the summer. I recall that someone on here has spoken with the coroner at the time, who has since retired, is that correct? I believe this case can be solved. I believe that this case may have people still living who would be harmed by the light of day.....i.e. were somehow involved with the murders, or the cover up, or even the simple lack of good investigation. Doesn't matter. The truth needs to be told. The truth WILL be told. WE CAN SOLVE THIS CASE!!! I firmly believe that. If anyone has any ideas on what I should do, PM me.... I am relatively local, and VERY willing to help.

Mayfairlight, the article only establishes that the gun was used in the murders if the story line is believable. Personally, I don't think it is. Behind letting a felon walk, stands a guy with something to gain. There's nothing about that article that eliminates the possibility of an additional weapon which would indicate two shooters. The neck shots had to be made with a smaller caliber weapon. Then again, those neck shots may be bogus. Although the neck shot photos are framed, they look very much like drawings and not actual photos.

These murder victims have too many bullet holes, shot in the back, shot in the chest, shot in the head, shot in the neck. Talk about overkill, and not a peep out of the county to correct any of it.

I think back to a case over in Georgia, a few years after this case, where the sheriff was looking the other way as drugs were smuggled through his county. He even had someone from Georgia State Police involved in it. They were both getting kick-backs.

Could the same thing have happened in SC? Sure. It happens in a lot of places, drug smuggling, money laundering, etc.

I've heard it said more than once, if some guys weren't cops, they'd be on the wrong side of the law. Every dept. has its bad apples.

I think it establishes what the murder weapon was :)
But that's just my opinion.
What do you mean too many bullet holes?:eek:
I so hope these kids will be identified.
The shooter/ killer may be dead, but who would he have spoken to?
Just to know why he/ she killed them.
It's so sad...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/leslie_cynthia.html

if you look closely she also has those moles on her face near her mouth...
problem is they are a bit lower but look similar...
I also did not check stats on her to compare just wanted to piost now for similarities...
anybody have a pic of him too that is real not sketch?

I would like to see it also...

I think it establishes what the murder weapon was :)
But that's just my opinion.
What do you mean too many bullet holes?:eek:
I so hope these kids will be identified.
The shooter/ killer may be dead, but who would he have spoken to?
Just to know why he/ she killed them.
It's so sad...

I just noticed this post, and although the poster has been banned, I thought I'd go ahead and respond to her post anyway.

We can't establish a murder weapon for this case since both a .38 and a .357 have been described as the murder weapon, with no corrections by anyone in LE in Sumter County. The gun started out as a .38 and simply morfed into a .357 in articles in "The Item."

The reason I say too many bullet holes, is that the bullet holes have moved around on the victim's bodies. "The Item" has published various articles with different shot placements, so there's really no telling what the truth is.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/leslie_cynthia.html

if you look closely she also has those moles on her face near her mouth...
problem is they are a bit lower but look similar...
I also did not check stats on her to compare just wanted to piost now for similarities...
anybody have a pic of him too that is real not sketch?

I would like to see it also...

Websurfer, there's a thread on this couple labeled crime photos or something close to that.

As for Cynthia Leslie's photo, I think those are just spots on that first photo. I see nothing in the second photo that looks like moles, and in the description of her, a mole near her armpit is mentioned, and no others. I feel sure if she had moles on her face those would've been listed.

We can't establish a murder weapon for this case since both a .38 and a .357 have been described as the murder weapon, with no corrections by anyone in LE in Sumter County. The gun started out as a .38 and simply morfed into a .357 in articles in "The Item."

Actually, saying the gun was both a .357 and .38 is not inconsistent. A .357 handgun can also fire .38 caliber rounds.

Here are some more...
This I found interesting
"Deputies said the mother and stepfather had disagreed on whether the girl is their daughter. Family friends also disagreed on the identification..."
What made the police agree it wasn't the girl in question? I searched for missing Brunswick girls, found none...
[URL="http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5316/22wedaug181976florenceuu3.th.jpg"]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/531...enceuu3.th.jpg[/URL]

Their funeral. It looks nicer than I thought it was, flowers... several people there... (I thought a wooden coffin, one or two police, nothing else... was certainly important for the locals in the day)I wonder if the person who did this to them was there too? Certainly enough people to hide amongst. Who was there and took pictures? The guy's dental work mentioned again...
[URL="http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7118/22monaug1577asf7.th.jpg"]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7...577asf7.th.jpg[/URL]

Original sketches, published in several local papers
[URL="http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9603/22sataug1476florenceht5.th.jpg"]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9...enceht5.th.jpg[/URL]

edit: this one is the earliest I could find, from Aug 10
[URL="http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2431/22tuesaug1076zzlr1.th.jpg"]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/243...76zzlr1.th.jpg[/URL]
Is there any way someone could enlarge these pics so I can read the articles? They're so small I can't read them.

I agree with those statements. I also think he put the bodies there at night and only placed them beside the road, as opposed to in the bushes, because he was afraid to venture into the bushes in the darkness.

Guys, Look closely at the dirt road in the pictures.

It definitely looks like a one-lane, narrow sandy dirt road with grass growing in the center.

This road was certainly NOT traveled often, by many cars, from the looks of the grass and the dirt....

This young couple would NOT have been on this deserted road at night...plus their feet/shoes was way too clean.

Who ever 'placed' these kids beside this road, knew the area and the dirt road in my opinion..:camera:

Sure does look like a good match. My only reservation is that Jock was 6'1" and Jane 5'5" and in the photo I saw of Michael and Cordelia, there didn't seem to be a 7" height difference. Maybe the camera angle? IDK

p9580034.jpg

Sure does look like a good match. My only reservation is that Jock was 6'1" and Jane 5'5" and in the photo I saw of Michael and Cordelia, there didn't seem to be a 7" height difference. Maybe the camera angle? IDK

p9580034.jpg

She looks like Cordelia but I don't think he looks like Michael at all. The nose is completely wrong.

She looks like Cordelia but I don't think he looks like Michael at all. The nose is completely wrong.

I don't see the resemblance with either one. Carbuff you're straight on with the nose thing, plus the UID male was quite a bit thinner... the chin also looks different, as well as the shape of the jaw.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back