Dead Folks and Decomp *WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS IN OPENING POST*#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tulessa;

Thank you for the information, as far as adding a warning, I see no need. The title explains it all, but then, I do have to see a lot of "death" photos and crime scene photos so I am less sensitive. I do understand some here are "sensitive" to this kind of information though. You cannot please everyone, I still suggest thinking before clicking, and a mod will adjust the title since your time to do so has has probably ticked away.

If you find have more information you would like to add, please do! I love it all. The Body Farm was a fun study but they do not release, or did not a while back, much information to the general public. It was all left up to the individual to dig through the internet or text books to find anything.

Thank you!

Does it stand to reason that, given identical climate conditions and circumstances of death, a toddler's body would decompose more rapidly than an adult's body due to it's more compact size?

Does it stand to reason that, given identical climate conditions and circumstances of death, a toddler's body would decompose more rapidly than an adult's body due to it's more compact size?

Sadly, I do not have time to research for an instant answer. But, I would take a gander at yes. Less body tissue, fat, organ size. If I get time to find something, I will post it. Thanks!

ETA: I'm still looking.

Now, can all of us that are okay start to discuss the topic? I am not sure how much free time I have the next few days, but would like to see some discussion.

As would I. I have to go to work in the am and will not be home until Sunday.

Hi Tulessa :)

Thank you for posting this! As for the photo, while I understand it can upset some, I've seen much worse so it doesn't upset me at all. The information is very interesting.
I have long been interested in what happens to a body after death.

Since I believe the body is really just the 'housing' of the soul, and a corpse is the vacated (and sometimes dilapidated) housing that remains after the soul has departed (meaning after death), it doesn't bother me as much as it may some to view pictures of decomposition.

Anyway. This is a great idea for a thread. Should be very informative. Thank you for starting it, Tulessa!

I'm still searching. Anyone have good search terms? This stuff is difficult to find.

I hate to be graphic and even ask his question but i am curious. If she was in the trunk in the extreme heat would her body have bloated like you see with animals? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question i hate even typing this.

I hate to be graphic and even ask his question but i am curious. If she was in the trunk in the extreme heat would her body have bloated like you see with animals? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question i hate even typing this.
I'm a complete layperson on this subject, but I'd guess that due to Florida's climate in the months of June (hot with alot of humidity/moisture), the body would bloat up, because of expanding gasses.
The body would not mummify, as it would in a hot, dry, desert climate.

I think after bloating, the body (skin and tissue) would 'stretch to it's limit', and rips or tears would occur, finally spilling fluids and releasing the built up gasses.

I am still searching, as I said, this is not an easy topic to find research results on. :(

When you think of how much hotter it is inside of an automobile during the month of June, in the Florida heat- compared to the heat outside of a car- it makes sense that the decomposition process would be exacerbated.

Decompostion would occur much more rapidly, than if the body were left outside, for instance. Decomposition could possibly occur in half the time, lets say, than if the body were not left in the higher temperatures of a closed up automobile.

The car could potentially act in the same manner as an oven.

Yes. :(

I give up on simple term searches. We need a forensic scientist or medical examiner's access to research. That is all I can find. Maybe some of this is published in terms I am just not putting in.

I have been looking for the forensics that were released and I can't seem to find the one that they talk about Adipocere, I am so sure I read it in one of the doc's. Now, maybe this is found on all decomposing bodies? Anyone else recall reading about it? If so could you please share the link...Thank You so much!

I found another article that explains the Stages of Adipocere.

A Preliminary Investigation of the Stages of Adipocere Formation
"Snip" http://www.astm.org/JOURNALS/FORENSIC/PAGES/JFS2002230.htm
Abstract
Adipocere is a postmortem decomposition product which forms from a body's adipose tissue. This study aimed to chemically demonstrate the process of conversion from adipose tissue to adipocere.
Samples of adipocere were collected from pig cadavers that were allowed to decompose for varying intervals.
Samples of soil were collected from beneath the cadavers and analyzed to determine the leaching effect of adipocere. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) was used to quantify the fatty acid composition of pig adipocere.
Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) was used as a confirmatory test and to identify other components such as triglycerides and calcium salts of fatty acids. The study demonstrates the process of adipocere formation and the stages of formation through which the process passes using chemical techniques

wow tulessa thank you so much for this thread & for linking to that fantastic site

yes, the photos shock me & I am queasy right now but there was a warning so I can only blame myself

the info is interesting & important and victims deserve to have sleuths who are willing to stomach this

I don't have any imput (I am scientifically challenged) but I've enjoyed the parts I've understood so far

I give up on simple term searches. We need a forensic scientist or medical examiner's access to research. That is all I can find. Maybe some of this is published in terms I am just not putting in.

Texas State has a Forensic Anthropology department that focuses on decomposition. I took some terms from it, googled with them, and came up with these. If nothing else, we can pick up some search terms to use for more research papers on the net.

Taphonomy of Child-sized Remains in Shallow Grave and Surface Deposit Scenarios

http://ecommons.txstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=anthroptad

An Analysis of Decomposition Rates on Outdoor Surface Variations in Central Texas

http://ecommons.txstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=anthroptad

A STUDY ON THE RATE OF DECOMPOSITION OF CARRION IN CLOSED CONTAINERS PLACED IN A SHADE AREA OUTDOORS IN CENTRAL TEXAS

http://ecommons.txstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1004&context=anthroptad&unstamped=1

And just for some extra fun:

Vegetation Colonization of Experimental Grave Sites in Central Texas

http://ecommons.txstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1018&context=anthroptad

The Body Farm website:

http://web.utk.edu/~fac/facilities.shtml

Texas State Forensic Anthopology website:

http://www.txstate.edu/anthropology/facts/

:eek: the pic....wow....

i have been curious as well at the differnt stages of decomp, from day one, 2.6 days, day 31 ....and then dec 11th......:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer