Skull fracture question

Incredible. If I had not read it, I would not have believed it.

This is one of the reasons I have a hard time finishing it.:cool:
Solace,
I'm having trouble finishing the book as well. I got it last summer at the flea market for $2 (hardcover).
It should be labeled "fiction".

I think it would depend on the angle from which she was struck. If she was struck sideways and not from above, the neck may not have suffered any damage.

BOESP: I have a question about the low velocity/high pressure type of wound you mentioned. Suppose JonBenet was struck against a blunt object, wouldn't a lot of velocity be required to produce that horrific injury which not only punched out a piece of skull but virtually split her skull in two halves? I'm just trying to visualize what exactly 'low' velocity would mean. When I think of an enraged parent yanking JonBenet around, finally slamming her against a flat surface, I can imagine she would have hit this surface with considerable velocity. Just my layperson's speculation though - for I really don't know much about physics.

Hi Rash,

No doubt, it was a blunt object since, among other things, the scalp wasn't broken. I suppose the head of a Maglite could, at the correct angle, also be considered blunt just like contact with the floor or a heavy bathtub, etc. would be blunt.

The easiest way to explain what I mean about low-velocity/high-pressure is to think of a bullet wound. That's high velocity. The force of the bullet if applied equally over the area of the skull would be relatively low-pressure. The major damage is at the point of impact and to the underlying tissue (damage would also depend on the bullet caliber and mass, but ignore that factor in this explanation). Because of the high velocity, the weapon (a bullet in this case) also does a great deal of internal damage under the point of impact.

Low velocity would include, perhaps, a child falling or even pushing or shaking the child's head around, forcing it into another object. It is a relatively slow-speed method of inflicting damage. The comminuted fracture on JonBenet shows evidence of this low-velocity type event. More energy was dispersed as shown by the egg-shell fracturing fracture of the skull because of low velocity and high pressure than what is seen in the low-pressure bullet example above. The egg shell fracture could also extend in a linear fashion as in JonBenet's cranium. However, it is speed and pressure that would cause the distance the fracture traveled and the width of the fracture. In my opinion, some high pressure (or fairly high) would be needed to split the cranium to the degree and length that JonBenet's is split.

A relatively high-velocity wound with low pressure, such as swinging a golf club, would continue the damage down into the brain tissue. It likely would create a comminuted fracture area and a shorter linear fracture because the remainder of energy would likely go deep below the striking point (like a bullet) instead of traveling a great distance as illustrated by the lengthy and relatively wide fracture that extends nearly to JonBenet's right eye socket.

Of course, if there were two simultaneous or nearly simultaneous skull injuries, it is possible the two (or more) fractures "met" and gave the illusion of a one-blow 8.5" fracture.

JonBenet's scalp is not lacerated at the point of impact, the fracture widens, the fracture is 8.5" long. All that suggests, to me, that a low-velocity/high-pressure injury occurred.

So what do you think, was there sexual abuse going on?

I think JonBenet was sexually abused because JonBenet showed classical symptoms of sexual abuse and the autopsy indicated it but I haven't decided yet if it was for personal gratification. I think for gratification is entirely possible. I think it's equally possibly Patsy could have been doing some rough cleaning on JonBenet. Thirdly, I think both things could have been happening and maybe Patsy didn't know about the gratification abuse. John may not have known about either type. May I be a Fence Sitter on this one?

I think JonBenet was sexually abused because JonBenet showed classical symptoms of sexual abuse and the autopsy indicated it but I haven't decided yet if it was for personal gratification. I think for gratification is entirely possible. I think it's equally possibly Patsy could have been doing some rough cleaning on JonBenet. Thirdly, I think both things could have been happening and maybe Patsy didn't know about the gratification abuse. John may not have known about either type. May I be a Fence Sitter on this one?

The fence gets uncomfortable and I warn you its a heavy built picket type with splinters galore. However climb on up and have a seat by me and many others, your in great company. :D

Hi Rash,

No doubt, it was a blunt object, since the scalp wasn't broken. I suppose the head of a Maglite could, at the correct angle, also be considered blunt, just like contact with the floor or a heavy bathtub, etc. would be blunt.

The easiest way to explain what I mean about low-velocity/high-pressure is to think of a bullet wound. That's high velocity. The force of the bullet if applied equally over the area of the skull would be relatively low-pressure. The major damage is at the point of impact and to the underlying tissue (damage would also depend on the bullet caliber and mass, but ignore that factor in this explanation). Because of the high velocity, the weapon (a bullet in this case) also does a great deal of internal damage under the point of impact.

Low velocity would include, perhaps, a child falling or even pushing or shaking the child's head around, forcing it into another object. It is a relatively slow-speed method of inflicting damage. The comminuted fracture on JonBenet shows evidence of this low-velocity type event. More energy was dispersed as shown by the egg-shell fracturing of the skull because of high pressure than what is seen in the low-pressure bullet example above. The egg shell fracture could also extend in a linear fashion as in JonBenet's cranium. However, it is speed and pressure that would cause the distance the fracture traveled and the width of the fracture. In my opinion, some high pressure (or fairly high) would be needed to split the cranium to the degree and length that JonBenet's is split.

A relatively high-velocity wound with low pressure, such as swinging a golf club, would continue the damage down into the brain tissue. It would and could create a comminuted area and a fracture but the remainder of energy would likely go deep below the striking point (like a bullet) instead of traveling a great distance as illustrated by the lengthy and relatively wide fracture that extends nearly to JonBenet's right eye socket.

Of course, if there were two simultaneous or nearly simultaneous skull injuries, it is possible the two (or more) fractures "met" and gave the illusion of a one-blow 8.5" fracture.

JonBenet's scalp is not lacerated at the point of impact, the fracture widens, the fracture is 8.5" long. All that suggests, to me, that a low-velocity/high-pressure injury occurred.

BOESP,
I'm not certain what you are trying to say here. Pressure is a specific force measured over a particular area say pounds per square inch.

A measure of the motion of the object that struck JonBenet would be its momentum which is the objects mass multiplied by its velocity.

This allows for different objects travelling at the same speed to impart the same amount of energy on impact.

The reason for the latter sentence is that unlike a bullet the person who whacked JonBenet would have his/her velocity limited by their human physique.

The potential energy imparted to JonBenet's skull could be approximated by working out its kinetic energy, and allowing for residual energy loss.

In physics momentum is conserved so in a head-on collision you can work out the final velocities of both objects, this can allow for a stationary body, two moving bodies etc.

JonBenet's head injury I'll assume was not a head-on collision, neither was it inelastic which is where the two bodies stick together, I reckon it was an example of a multi-dimensional collision e.g. she was rooted in one position, and the blow struck was from an indirect or oblique angle, so the varying components, or momenta, can be separated and resolved to arrive the final momentum.

The bottom line is that the velocity of an object delivered by a human is going to be limited by default, so comparisons with bullets are misleading, it will be the weight of the object that will be critical, so hitting a child with a spoon which may be heavier that a bullet, will not do the same damage as a maglite or a golf-club, because they weigh more, the other critical parameter will be the angle of contact, some angles impart less energy than others, consider a boxer punching his opponent's face, different angled blows are not as powerful, e.g. in general same mass, same velocity, different angle.

So the maglite or a baseball bat could have delivered the injuries to JonBenet's skull.

Also another feature of interest is height, in general, when a child falls down and is injured, it is the height they fall from that is important, not discounting whether they land on their arm or back, or head etc.

So the vast majority of domestic accidents presented as AE, involving children, present a range of injuries limited by the domestic circumstances.

JonBenet's head injury is classified as serious e.g. life threatening, she had a linear fracture, various non-linear fractures, subarachnoid, and subdural bleeding, linear contusions on her right hemisphere, and small contusions on the tips of her temporal lobes, as if she had been violently shaken?

Put simply the severity and variety of JonBenet's head injuries rule out a domestic accident as the cause. Someone deliberately inflicted those head injuries, more than likely because they wanted Jonbenet dead!

BOESP,

How could Patsy who you suggest was rough cleaning not notice any changes in JonBenet's genitalia?

Same applies to John if you speculate him as JonBenet's molester?

It appears to me, however well you balance yourself on the fence, that not only were both parents aware that JonBenet was being abused, they were both involved in the staging, and afterwards both defended each other, so they never sat on any fence!

BOESP,
I'm not certain what you are trying to say here. Pressure is a specific force measured over a particular area say pounds per square inch.

A measure of the motion of the object that struck JonBenet would be its momentum which is the objects mass multiplied by its velocity.

This allows for different objects travelling at the same speed to impart the same amount of energy on impact.

The reason for the latter sentence is that unlike a bullet the person who whacked JonBenet would have his/her velocity limited by their human physique.

The potential energy imparted to JonBenet's skull could be approximated by working out its kinetic energy, and allowing for residual energy loss.

In physics momentum is conserved so in a head-on collision you can work out the final velocities of both objects, this can allow for a stationary body, two moving bodies etc.

JonBenet's head injury I'll assume was not a head-on collision, neither was it inelastic which is where the two bodies stick together, I reckon it was an example of a multi-dimensional collision e.g. she was rooted in one position, and the blow struck was from an indirect or oblique angle, so the varying components, or momenta, can be separated and resolved to arrive the final momentum.

The bottom line is that the velocity of an object delivered by a human is going to be limited by default, so comparisons with bullets are misleading, it will be the weight of the object that will be critical, so hitting a child with a spoon which may be heavier that a bullet, will not do the same damage as a maglite or a golf-club, because they weigh more, the other critical parameter will be the angle of contact, some angles impart less energy than others, consider a boxer punching his opponent's face, different angled blows are not as powerful, e.g. in general same mass, same velocity, different angle.

So the maglite or a baseball bat could have delivered the injuries to JonBenet's skull.

Also another feature of interest is height, in general, when a child falls down and is injured, it is the height they fall from that is important, not discounting whether they land on their arm or back, or head etc.

So the vast majority of domestic accidents presented as AE, involving children, present a range of injuries limited by the domestic circumstances.

JonBenet's head injury is classified as serious e.g. life threatening, she had a linear fracture, various non-linear fractures, subarachnoid, and subdural bleeding, linear contusions on her right hemisphere, and small contusions on the tips of her temporal lobes, as if she had been violently shaken?

Put simply the severity and variety of JonBenet's head injuries rule out a domestic accident as the cause. Someone deliberately inflicted those head injuries, more than likely because they wanted Jonbenet dead!

It's impossible to pinpoint every possible detail or variance for a given situation and I didn't try to do that in my response to Rash's question. I also hope you'll pardon me for not giving a line-by-line reply to your above response. I appreciate your additional information but I stand by my opinion and I do not agree that "Put simply the severity and variety of JonBenet's head injuries rule out a domestic accident as the cause." Domestic homicide can be accidental in nature without calling the specific event(s) accidents; for example, that is what manslaughter charges and vehicular homicide are for in many states. I've made it clear in other posts that I am undecided about the full story on the ligature strangulation but I feel strongly about the head wounds.

I might agree with the baseball bat theory you gave but you would need to prove where that event occurred, that there was plenty of swinging room for a person of the correct size you have implied, and that the tip of the bat is what hit JonBenet. I'd think the blow would have to be delivered by a point lower on the bat than on the tip to fit your scenario and to account for the 8.5" fracture. If true, I don't see how a lower point on the bat could make the depression in JonBenet's skull.

Neither of our opinions is evidence so I'm sticking to blunt-force trauma of a low-velocity/high-pressure nature unless more evidence turns up.

BOESP,

How could Patsy who you suggest was rough cleaning not notice any changes in JonBenet's genitalia?

Same applies to John if you speculate him as JonBenet's molester?

It appears to me, however well you balance yourself on the fence, that not only were both parents aware that JonBenet was being abused, they were both involved in the staging, and afterwards both defended each other, so they never sat on any fence!

Unless Patsy or John was using a speculum and a light I doubt either one was examining JonBenet's internal genitalia. Even Dr. Beuf stated he'd never done an internal exam, so I'd say that also explains why he never noticed it either.

By the way, I didn't say Patsy WAS rough-cleaning. I was offering possibilities and not statements of fact.

It's impossible to pinpoint every possible detail or variance for a given situation and I didn't try to do that in my response to Rash's question. I also hope you'll pardon me for not giving a line-by-line reply to your above response. I appreciate your additional information but I stand by my opinion and I do not agree that "Put simply the severity and variety of JonBenet's head injuries rule out a domestic accident as the cause." Domestic homicide can be accidental in nature without calling the specific event(s) accidents; for example, that is what manslaughter charges and vehicular homicide are for in many states. I've made it clear in other posts that I am undecided about the full story on the ligature strangulation but I feel strongly about the head wounds.

I might agree with the baseball bat theory you gave but you would need to prove where that event occurred, that there was plenty of swinging room for a person of the correct size you have implied, and that the tip of the bat is what hit JonBenet. I'd think the blow would have to be delivered by a point lower on the bat than on the tip to fit your scenario and to account for the 8.5" fracture. If true, I don't see how a lower point on the bat could make the depression in JonBenet's skull.

Neither of our opinions is evidence so I'm sticking to blunt-force trauma of a low-velocity/high-pressure nature unless more evidence turns up.

BOESP,
I do not agree that "Put simply the severity and variety of JonBenet's head injuries rule out a domestic accident as the cause." Domestic homicide can be accidental in nature without calling the specific event(s) accidents;
Not agreeing may offer the possibility of a domestic homicide being accidental in nature, but that was not what I was debating, what I was outlining is that the vast majority of domestic accidents presented to AE do not display the range of serious injuries that JonBenet had, they may be concussed, suffer subscapular bleeding, exhibit hairline fractures etc etc, but certainly not linear and non-linear fractures, bleeding inside the skull.

The severity of JonBenet's skull injuries tell you they were not accidental, someone deliberately whacked JonBenet on the head with the intention of killing her.

You do not accidently fall in a house and cause multiple fractures on the top of your head which is then staged as a ransom kidnapping complete with a cleaned up sexual assault.

Humans relative to bullets will always deliver low velocities. What has high pressure to do with JonBenet's death?

Unless Patsy or John was using a speculum and a light I doubt either one was examining JonBenet's internal genitalia. Even Dr. Beuf stated he'd never done an internal exam, so I'd say that also explains why he never noticed it either.

By the way, I didn't say Patsy WAS rough-cleaning. I was offering possibilities and not statements of fact.

BOESP,
I never asked you what instruments might help to look for signs of abuse, or who never ever looked for it, or if you were making statements of fact.

Steve Thomas' Corporal Cleansing or Toilet Rage theories are inconsistent and no evidence is offered to back them up.

BOESP,
I never asked you what instruments might help to look for signs of abuse, or who never ever looked for it, or if you were making statements of fact.

Steve Thomas' Corporal Cleansing or Toilet Rage theories are inconsistent and no evidence is offered to back them up.
While there was evidence of sexual abuse, it was not not conclusive to the point of ruling out other explanations. That's the problem with this case.
SteveThomas (p. 228):
"the results, however, were not what is known in the legal world as "conclusive" - which means that there can be no other interpretation - and I would fully expect defense lawyers to argue something different.
And believe me, they would have argued differently and imo the sexual abuse theory would NOT have held up in court. I don't want to play devil's advocate for Patsy Ramsey here, but as her defense lawyer, I would have brought the argument that if she had known JonBenet was being sexually abused (or even took active part in her abuse), then the LAST thing she would have done would be to take JonBenet to Dr. Beuf so often because of chronic vaginitis. Far too risky, for he might ask questions ...
If there was chronic abuse, I'm convinced that Patsy did not know about it.
No one will deny that JonBenet had genital irregularities. But the chronic vaginal inflammation could also be explained by her chronic bedwettig problem - you can bet that the defense would have used this argument.
Also, the fact that her hymen consisted only of a rim of mucosal tissue ranging from the 2 to 10 o'clock position is no abnormal finding. Hymens come in many sizes and forms - there are also girls who aren't born with a hymen at all.
Imo the prosecution at trial would neither have been able to conclusively argue a toilet rage scenario nor a sexual abuse scenario.

jmo

While there was evidence of sexual abuse, it was not not conclusive to the point of ruling out other explanations. That's the problem with this case.
SteveThomas (p. 228):

And believe me, they would have argued differently and imo the sexual abuse theory would NOT have held up in court. I don't want to play devil's advocate for Patsy Ramsey here, but as her defense lawyer, I would have brought the argument that if she had known JonBenet was being sexually abused (or even took active part in her abuse), then the LAST thing she would have done would be to take JonBenet to Dr. Beuf so often because of chronic vaginitis. Far too risky, for he might ask questions ...
No one will deny that JonBenet had genital irregularities. But the chronic vaginal inflammation could also be explained by her chronic bedwettig problem - you can bet that the defense would have used this argument.
Also, the fact that her hymen consisted only of a rim of mucosal tissue ranging from the 2 to 10 o'clock position is no abnormal finding. Hymens come in many sizes and forms - there are also girls who aren't born with a hymen at all.
Imo the prosecution at trial would neither have been able to conclusively argue a toilet rage scenario nor a sexual abuse scenario.

jmo

rashomon,
It never went to trial because both parents defended each other, normally even if the wife has knowledge of sexual abuse, she is offered a plea bargain, in return for her testimony!

The point to be made regarding the regarding sexual abuse theory, is that there is forensic evidence, and expert opinion available, in the example of Steve Thomas' Corporal Cleaning and Toilet Rage theories there is either none, or it is inconsistent with other evidence.

The Intruder Theory has more evidence to offer than Steve Thomas' Corporal Cleaning or Toilet Rage theories, since there is foreign dna, which most accept is likely to have been added during manufacture?

No one will deny that JonBenet had genital irregularities.
So Patsy never looked at JonBenet's genitals to see just how bad her genital irregularities were? If I was administering some kind of Corporal Cleaning and genital irregularities arose I might want to check if they were connected?

I would have brought the argument that if she had known JonBenet was being sexually abused (or even took active part in her abuse), then the LAST thing she would have done would be to take JonBenet to Dr. Beuf so often because of chronic vaginitis. Far too risky, for he might ask questions ...
Similar reasoning must apply to the Corporal Cleaning Theory?

Following your rationale Patsy is wholly innocent.

Citing examples regarding all other paediatric hymens does not invalidate that JonBenet's hymen was irregular and her opening was twice the size for a girl of her age. A sexual assault had occured prior to her death, there is evidence suggesting chronic molestation, her bedwetting, general lack of hygiene, asking non-family members to wipe her down, are all signs or red flags suggesting ongoing sexual molestation.

Toss in her pageant activities and innapropriate sexualization, wearing of tailored adult clothes, and makeup, all at the age of six, when most other six-year old girls are content with their Barbie's or My-Pony's whatever.

It presents a well recognized profile of child being sexually abused!

So at trial neither the Toilet rage or Corporal Cleaning Theories would have stood up, they would have fallen at the first hurdle regarding reasonable doubt. Not so the Sexual Abuse Theory, it was probably not conclusive, but with a dead body discovered in the basement displaying signs of a cleaned up sexual assault, and no evidence linking to an intruder, but other evidence linking to the parents, then there was a case to be made?

You do not accidently fall in a house and cause multiple fractures on the top of your head which is then staged as a ransom kidnapping complete with a cleaned up sexual assault.

Humans relative to bullets will always deliver low velocities. What has high pressure to do with JonBenet's death?

UKGuy,

I never said the damage was caused by a fall or at least not by a fall alone. In fact, I've never claimed at all what caused the injury to the cranium. The rest of what you say has absolutely nothing to do with me answering Rashomon's question. If you don't already understand what JonBenet's 8.5" skull fracture suggests, coupled with the other interior and exterior damage illustrated in the autopsy, then there's nothing I can say to clear that up for you.

I stand by my description to Rash that explained what I meant by JonBenet's cranium having what looks like, to me, a low-velocity/high-pressure wound.

BOESP,

Steve Thomas' Corporal Cleansing
or Toilet Rage theories are inconsistent and no evidence is offered to back them up.

Thomas said "corporal punishment," not corporal cleansing.

SteveThomas (p. 228):

jmo

Thank you, Rash. Excellent post.

Thank you, Rash. Excellent post.
Yes excellent post. Couple all that with a dead body with no intruder and I believe the aruments could have been made if they would have taken them in and put the pressure on full force then and there. Where this case was lost was allowing the them to distance themsleves right from the get go and we did have the ransom note.

UKGuy,

I never said the damage was caused by a fall or at least not by a fall alone. In fact, I've never claimed at all what caused the injury to the cranium. The rest of what you say has absolutely nothing to do with me answering Rashomon's question. If you don't already understand what JonBenet's 8.5" skull fracture suggests, coupled with the other interior and exterior damage illustrated in the autopsy, then there's nothing I can say to clear that up for you.

I stand by my description to Rash that explained what I meant by JonBenet's cranium having what looks like, to me, a low-velocity/high-pressure wound.

BOESP,

You never answer the question, just other unrelated stuff.

BOESP,

You never answer the question, just other unrelated stuff.

Maybe if you asked your question in a clear way I'd know what you are asking. I've already explained, several times, why the skull fracture appears to be low-velocity/high-pressure.

rashomon,

Following your rationale Patsy is wholly innocent.

It presents a well recognized profile of child being sexually abused!

So at trial neither the Toilet rage or Corporal Cleaning Theories would have stood up, they would have fallen at the first hurdle regarding reasonable doubt. Not so the Sexual Abuse Theory, it was probably not conclusive, but with a dead body discovered in the basement displaying signs of a cleaned up sexual assault, and no evidence linking to an intruder, but other evidence linking to the parents, then there was a case to be made?
Yes, I think Patsy is innocent of both vigorous corporal cleaning and sexual abuse. I believe her rage attack on Jonbenet on that fatal night had more to do with the child refusing to go to bed when it was already close to midnight. On top of that, maybe Jonbenet then also wet or soiled herself and this pushed Patsy over the edge.
The fibers in the garrote, the ransom note written on pen and paper from the Ramsey home with a body left behind in the house and the clumsily staged scene are such strong indicators of parental involvement that imo the prosecution could have disregarded speculations about possible sexual abuse altogether.

I think it would depend on the angle from which she was struck. If she was struck sideways and not from above, the neck may not have suffered any damage.

BOESP: I have a question about the low velocity/high pressure type of wound you mentioned. Suppose JonBenet was struck against a blunt object, wouldn't a lot of velocity be required to produce that horrific injury which not only punched out a piece of skull but virtually split her skull in two halves? I'm just trying to visualize what exactly 'low' velocity would mean. When I think of an enraged parent yanking JonBenet around, finally slamming her against a flat surface, I can imagine she would have hit this surface with considerable velocity. Just my layperson's speculation though - for I really don't know much about physics.

Rash, in case I wasn't clear in my first answer, I am saying, in my view, it would have taken a combination of low velocity + high pressure to create the massive cranium damage with relatively little associated damage to the brain tissue as seen in JonBenet. High velocity likely would have created more underlying damage to the brain and not have created a fracture the length seen on JonBenet. I think a 300 pound man swinging, say, a golf club, would have left an deeply embedded wound underneath the cranium and not just a comminuted fracture to the skull with associated bleeding. Nothing is mentioned about the brain tissue being mutilated to any degree.

Slinging her around is still relatively slow compared to, say, a bullet or a swinging golf club, when you measure the force presented to the entire surface area. I'm not saying the skull won't be cracked at all, just that it won't likely create a crack that runs nearly half-way around the entire head. You need a lot of pressure to get that split to travel as wide and as far as JonBene'ts fracture shows, in my opinion. A high velocity would with high pressure would have probably pulverized that side of her head. A high pressure wound with low pressure would create damage similar to a bullet - the damage would be concentrated at the contact sight and there would lots of internal damage.

If you have the eggs to waste in an experiment, try hitting one with a "weapon" of proportional size, then try holding it and hitting against a countertop while also applying pressure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back