The Sidebar - Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Judge likely to dismiss the jury today and have them begin deliberations tomorrow morning? Instructions seem to taking a long time.

If the jury instructions ever end, maybe they could appoint a foreperson, but that'd be about it, if that. (Their eyes must be glazed over by now.) But also, they won't have the written instructions until tomorrow. Idk if they can begin deliberations prior to getting the official instructions in writing.

Why is tomorrow a half day? How frustrating for everyone.

ETA: oh, Election Day. Understood.

The poor jury. Their heads must be spinning hearing all of this endless legal overly technical mumbo-jumbo.....:nuts:

Not really. Some of the charges have to do with a crime being committed while committing another crime, right? So they have to deliberate on the "other crime" (sexting to minor) first. I think the sexting to minor is a no-brainer, though.

Can someone repost the charges again? (I'm thinking someone has them handy.)

jmo

The sexting charges are completely unrelated to the other charges. The only predicate felonies are the child cruelty charges relating to Cooper.

Monday Night Football, Verdict Watch, Election-Nightmare Watch........it's time for a stiff drink....:toast:

Dancing With the Stars. JonBenet Ramsey movies on Lifetime. Christmas movies on Hallmark channels. :toastred:

The poor jury. Their heads must be spinning hearing all of this endless legal overly technical mumbo-jumbo.....:nuts:

It's just stupid!! There is no reason the law and its explanation has to be so opaque and confusing.

The sexting charges are completely unrelated to the other charges. The only predicate felonies are the child cruelty charges relating to Cooper.

I thought one of the charges was a felony if it was committed while committing another crime (the "other crime" being sexting a minor).

Is that not the case for one of the charges? Wasn't that why they bundled those sexting charges with the murder charges?

??

jmo

If the jury instructions ever end, maybe they could appoint a foreperson, but that'd be about it, if that. (Their eyes must be glazed over by now.) But also, they won't have the written instructions until tomorrow. Idk if they can begin deliberations prior to getting the official instructions in writing.

Why is tomorrow a half day? How frustrating for everyone.

ETA: oh, Election Day. Understood.

And no court Friday, Veterans day and then the weekend....:scared:

I'm on the east coast. It's almost 5pm, and this is a sideBAR thread.....you thinking what I'm thinking?

Cheers...as we await the jury's decision.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cocktail-final.jpg
    cocktail-final.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Cool-Cocktails.jpg
    Cool-Cocktails.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Soda-Picture.jpg
    Soda-Picture.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 215
It's just stupid!! There is no reason the law and its explanation has to be so opaque and confusing.

Just makes it more likely the jury will default to using their own "common sense" way of figuring things out for themselves, imo.

I thought one of the charges was a felony if it was committed while committing another crime (the "other crime" being sexting a minor).

Is that not the case for one of the charges? Wasn't that why they bundled those sexting charges with the murder charges?

??

jmo

The sexting minors is not one of the felonies that's part of the felony murder charges. I know it's confusing.

Just makes it more likely the jury will default to using their own "common sense" way of figuring things out for themselves, imo.

Yes, but I do think juries for the most part do really try to understand the charge and follow the instructions.

I wanted to say that I really appreciate those that have the courage to post as the minority. This case is not as cut and dry as most trials I have followed and can understand and respect opinions on both sides.
Actually, in this case the minority is not even that small, not compared to most threads I've followed and I can tell that the posters are not sympathetic to Ross or being deliberately contrary, I've been in threads like that.
Posters on this case seem to be rather educated and intelligent, on both sides, that's probably why I've changed my mind a few times.

Where I am at right now? I think I would have to go not guilty if I was on a jury. Reasons:

I feel if he wanted to deliberately leave Cooper in the car he'd have simply gone from home to work, no CF.
I do not feel he would have went to the car at lunch to check things out on camera, he'd simply wait to go in after work.
I also feel that even if he thought he would not eventually be charged he'd assume like most of us would that his phone etc would be looked at. LE is not just going to take someones word it's an accident.
Guy could have and in my opinion would have erased ALL of the sexting and stuff with minors.

In regards to the motive. I just have not seen one. "My wife is a big bad old meany and we are only together for the kids" is the refrain of ever single skeevy married cheating dude in the history of forever. He also
had texted that things were better with his wife. Do I believe he loved Ms. Meadows? My mama taught me early that actions speak louder than words, he wasn't wining and dining her or buying her gifts etc. He spent
more on a hooker than on her. I think she was more of a challenge in that she didn't just hop in his car to service him and that he may have found her the most attractive of his prospects, I don't see love or him killing his son
for a woman who is that hot and cold with him and is living with another man. Quite far fetched to me.

I simply cannot take what a guy says trying to get in women's pants as gospel. I also can't cherry pick the things he said to support a guilty verdict so I can't ignore that the dude straight up said he "likes it with strangers".
I saw zero evidence that he was looking for a love affair, and plenty that he was looking for no strings attached sex, and he was getting no strings attached sex, why kill the baby?

As far as the life insurance on Cooper, I am glad it was not allowed. $27000 minus the cost of a funeral just isn't a strong enough motive for a professional young couple to off their child. If they were
that hard up for cash I don't think they would be planning a vacation, and no, I do not believe he would kill Cooper for a house down payment and a vacation. Absurd.

Some compare this guy to Scott Peterson. Not seeing it. Scott hid that he had a wife and child, RH never did. People also came forward when the Peterson case broke saying he always gave them a bad/creepy vibe. Not a single person came forward like that in this case. No guy announces to work or friends that he's seeing prostitutes or that he is cheating. Seems most of his friends are religious. I do not discuss my sex life with others that are not involved in it. Does not mean I am capable of murder.

TLDR: I feel if he was going to plan this murder, he'd have planned better.

??

jmo

Defendant # Count Offense Severity Disposition Status Judge Dispo Date Signed Date
1 1 MURDERY FELONY
1 2 MURDER FELONY
1 3 MURDER FELONY
1 4 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY
1 5 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY
1 6 CRIMINAL ATTEMPT FELONY
1 7 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY
1 8 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY https://ctsearch.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.com/Results

jmho I think the charge your thinking of are the murder charges (the sexting have nothing to do with murder)

The sexting minors is not one of the felonies that's part of the felony murder charges. I know it's confusing.

Yes, I realize that. But I thought one of the other charges (having to do with murder) was a felony charge IF committed while also committing another crime (the sexting-minor crime).

Am I the only one thinking this? I'm searching for the list of charges....I know they've been posted here a few times...anyone have a clue where to find that neat and tidy list??

Edited to add: AHA! Someone posted above this post. Thanks!

I wonder why there wasn't a plea of guilty to the sexting with a minor charges. They presented no defense and that would've prevented those charges from muddying up the murder case.

Does se anyone have a link to jury instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine