Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #15 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this case.

Was the car reported stolen before or after Sierra went missing?

I'm asking, because if it was reported stolen afterward, that would be make concerned that the owner might be trying to cover up for his/her actions. You know -- trying to say, "I didn't do it, it must have been the person who stole my car."

:twocents:

No one knows for a fact the car was ever stolen. This info has yet to be released to the public, and I seriously doubt it ever will.

Welcome to the case. :woohoo:

I disagree. Whatever lies that LE chooses to tell someone down at the station is on them. I can not see any justification for lying to the public taxpayers and citizens.

I want to know that LE's word can be trusted.
Too many lies to the public and deceits under the guise of "solving a case" will cause them to lose their credibility forever. Or it would take a very long time to restore. It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome.
They may come to the public one day with the truth about something vital and important. But, it won't matter if most people have come to expect that LE can't be trusted in their statements and actions.

Above all else we do have a right and an expectation of honesty from LE and every other branch of government. It isn't just their "business".
It's everybody's business.

It isn't "the boy who cried wolf" if one realizes they do that during many investigations. I thought the Sheriff's explanation on that subject was spot-on.

Not to mention, many LE departments work differently. Some are good at what they do and some aren't. I think the departments involved in this have done rather well. When my mother became a cop she realized the first department she worked for was corrupt from the top down, so she went to a different city and the department worked differently and they solved many cases. They were rarely forthcoming with evidence they had. My father was a detective for a much larger city, and they withheld a lot of information from the public and had sometimes had to put out false information. It isn't abnormal.

You are correct they were discovered during one of the searches done by the Klass foundation and turned over to the LE in case they had anything to do with Sierra.

The searchers were not the ones who turned it over to the media either (nor were they on the sweatshirt). In both cases it was some attention seeking media hound who was following the SAR groups around and stalking them who ran and tattled to the news crews and then it blew up from there. It's sad that it can be that simple to totally derail a case in the public's eye. Week's were spent focusing on that stupid box when everyone who was in the middle of it knew it was not related.

I suppose a private camera at someone's home could have captured the video near the purse? The other thing that bugs me about the purse, however, is the clothes being 'neatly folded'. Who does that??? I don't fold my clothes neatly in my closet! :crazy: It is hard to imagine a scenario where someone has taken Sierra against her will, and then neatly folds her clothes prior to hiding them in plain sight. :waitasec:
My guess is that Sierra may have wanted to wear something other than what her mother would approve of for school. She could have taken the pic to text to her Mom with the sweatshirt on, then switched and put the sweatshirt into her bags neatly because she would have to change into them before going home, as her mother would likely be home by then. Seems like a normal teenager rebellion thing to do.

It isn't "the boy who cried wolf" if one realizes they do that during many investigations. I thought the Sheriff's explanation on that subject was spot-on.

Sorry. I think you refute your own statement.
If it's to the point we should expect that LE is probably lying, then they already ARE the boy who cried wolf.

So from now on when I read a statement from Cordoza or Sheriff Smith I will know that they could very well be lying or deceiving the public at large.
It would be far better to know that when they speak, we can trust their word to US.
If not, then I would expect a no comment versus a lie.

Everybody else on here is operating under the assumption that LE said this and LE said that, as if it is factual information the public can trust. So maybe we should just disregard their statements altogether as unreliable and not necessarily the facts.

The media can't be trusted with the facts and neither can LE.
Great. Where does that leave us?

Which statements made in this case are true and which ones are the lies?

The searchers were not the ones who turned it over to the media either (nor were they on the sweatshirt). In both cases it was some attention seeking media hound who was following the SAR groups around and stalking them who ran and tattled to the news crews and then it blew up from there. It's sad that it can be that simple to totally derail a case in the public's eye. Week's were spent focusing on that stupid box when everyone who was in the middle of it knew it was not related.

Sarx I knew it was not the searchers who told the media about any of what has been found so far. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and you know that . But I guess I did leave my post where it could be read that way.
Sorry, I knew early on also the empty cuff box was nothing . But that was called logic

You have to wonder why something like the year model even of this car would have been considered "top secret info". How one day the photo of the car is one day not deemed something that should be made public, then the very next it's released.
And why was it mentioned at all on Monday when they've had it for some indeterminate time in the past? Because it was going to come out anyway on Friday. Why was it mentioned a month several weeks ago to AMW?
I would hazard to guess to have "something" to bring to the National Spotlight of a show like America's Most Wanted. Evidently LE didn't want to show up empty-handed.

Let's just say they have had it "in their custody" long enough to know without a public plea, information on the driver to be necessary.

Here's what I do not understand about LE. The need to keep anything in a case secret from the public. Honestly.
The perpetrators of any crime know all about the particulars. You aren't going to be keeping them in the dark. Only the public.

Too many times you find statements in the media of LE saying, we found something. Now we aren't going to TELL you what we found but trust us, we
found it!!

This helps nothing. If you want to help a case and solicit information it has to be a two way street in a timely manner.

This business with the car is too far after the fact for any information to come forward now, or be of much use because no one was looking at the car much less who was driving it. Except for someone involved with it, and they AREN'T going to be talking. But, I will be much surprised if the car is linked to the case, if after, how many weeks now they've known of it, they are just now telling you they are examining it for evidence??

:seeya: Good Post !

BBM: I totally agree ... JMO, but in many of the cases I follow where LE keeps everything "secret" from the public, the case is going "cold", or unfortunatley, will probably never be solved ...

And no disrespect for LE here, but what good does it do to "sit on" info -- especially when you have a community of people out there willing to help ? You have to TELL them what you need !

And I too, will be "surprised" IF this car is connected ... if it was that important in helping find Sierra, the info should have blasted on the news immediately ...

All JMO and MOO ...

Sarx I knew it was not the searchers who told the media about any of what has been found so far. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and you know that . But I guess I did leave my post where it could be read that way.
Sorry, I knew early on also the empty cuff box was nothing . But that was called logic

Totally was not calling you out on it, hope you didn't take it that way. Just wanted those who may come through and read here to have the facts, or at least as much as I can give them!

BBM: I totally agree ... JMO, but in many of the cases I follow where LE keeps everything "secret" from the public, the case is going "cold", or unfortunatley, will probably never be solved ...

And no disrespect for LE here, but what good does it do to "sit on" info -- especially when you have a community of people out there willing to help ? You have to TELL them what you need !

And I too, will be "surprised" IF this car is connected ... if it was that important in helping find Sierra, the info should have blasted on the news immediately ...

All JMO and MOO ...

They already had the car. They needed to know if anyone knew who was driving it or saw who was driving it. Alas, no one seems to know...

I doubt they were sitting on it as much as re-sparking interest in the case, or may have been hoping the perp would come forward. They put the info out there and the public can't make anything out of it either. Imagine that.

Someone is doing a good job of keeping Sierra in the news. Before the car new broke, there was information about the fundraisers including quotes from Marlene regarding self-defence, then the car, now the mother's day message. Before all that the lab results coming back. If someone knows what happened to Sierra but is trying to not get involved, keeping the pressure up will help. If they keep doling out info, it's probably a good thing, everything gets due attention.

IMHO I am going to get blasted her but I really don't give a darn anymore. Everyone of you who think that our entire LE are nothing but liars and hiding the fact from John Q Public please do me a favor. Go To college get your degrees and become one . Every case I have been involved here in 9 years now there has been a darn good reason why John Q public does not know everything.
JMHO but in some ways the Internet is really the LE worse enemy. If they say to much and we hear about it . Then we have people jump all over them asking why did they say that?
If the don't reveal all they know band play it close to the vest. People gripe we need to know more. Guess what we can't have our cake and eat it to!!!!!

You could not pay me a enough to put my life on the line daily like everyone of our LE do across this nation. Every time they put a badge on. I have the utmost respect and honor for the. And however they want to handle a case guess what they know better than I do how to treat it.

Someone is doing a good job of keeping Sierra in the news. Before the car new broke, there was information about the fundraisers including quotes from Marlene regarding self-defence, then the car, now the mother's day message. Before all that the lab results coming back. If someone knows what happened to Sierra but is trying to not get involved, keeping the pressure up will help. If they keep doling out info, it's probably a good thing, everything gets due attention.

Yes, LE, the family, KlaasKids and media are keeping a steady drip of information to ensure the case remains in the public's eye for over eight weeks so far. That kind of attention is difficult to sustain. They have put in thousands of hours and unheard of resources toward solving this baffling disappearance. I commend LE for its approach and I hold out hope there will be a conclusion soon.

If it's to the point we should expect that LE is probably lying, then they already ARE the boy who cried wolf.

So from now on when I read a statement from Cordoza or Sheriff Smith I will know that they could very well be lying or deceiving the public at large.
It would be far better to know that when they speak, we can trust their word to US.

Everybody else on here is operating under the assumption that LE said this and LE said that, as if it is factual information the public can trust. So maybe we should just disregard their statements altogether as unreliable and not necessarily the facts.

For whatever it is worth, my own impression is that LE rarely lies to the public. I've been following crime cases for 40 years and have seen very few cases where LE actually lied.

It is true that they withhold full information from the public. Sometimes the statements that are made are formed very carefully so that they might be interpreted more broadly than is actually stated or in more than one way. In almost every case I've ever followed there is some detail that the media grabs onto that the police keep saying "no comment" on when LE really knows there's nothing to that detail.

Sometimes LE makes genuine mistakes and releases information that turns out not to be true. One example of this was during the Beltway Sniper hunt, when LE thought the sniper was travelling in a white cargo van. It turned out not to be the case but that was a genuine mistake on the part of LE, not a deliberate lie.

There are rarely outright lies.

All JMO and MOO ...

BBM

What good does it do to sit on information? Plenty!

If you're playing cat and mouse with a perp, the last thing you want is for that perp to have a good idea of what you know or don't know.

You keep some information in the deep dark so that if someone comes out with that information, you've got a suspect (or trail to a suspect).

You give out some information that isn't all that important and let the media go into the usual frenzy over it so that the perp is constantly wondering "is this all they have? Do they have more? Is this all a bluff?" A nervous perp is less likely to commit another crime and more likely to make another mistake.

As for the red car, it has been mentioned that they have over 80 bits of video where it is seen. That means someone or several someones spent hundreds of hours of watching black and white video, correlating what was in one piece of video with other pieces of video and figuring out which car or cars featured enough times to be beyond coincidence.

Each piece of video ends up being viewed many times in order to get information, confirm information, check if the information from Tape A is also on Tape B and on Tape C.

That is not an overnight job. It's not even a one week job. It's more like a multi-week job if you have lots of footage from lots of different cameras.

Sometimes when LE plays it close to the vest, it means they have basically nuthin. Sometimes it means they are thisclose to an arrest and are just locking down all the details they can before making their move.

In all the years I've been following cases, I have never been able to predict at the 2 month mark whether LE is onto someone or not. It takes longer, more like six to eight months, before it becomes clear.

IMHO I am going to get blasted her but I really don't give a darn anymore. Everyone of you who think that our entire LE are nothing but liars and hiding the fact from John Q Public please do me a favor. Go To college get your degrees and become one . Every case I have been involved here in 9 years now there has been a darn good reason why John Q public does not know everything.
JMHO but in some ways the Internet is really the LE worse enemy. If they say to much and we hear about it . Then we have people jump all over them asking why did they say that?
If the don't reveal all they know band play it close to the vest. People gripe we need to know more. Guess what we can't have our cake and eat it to!!!!!

You could not pay me a enough to put my life on the line daily like everyone of our LE do across this nation. Every time they put a badge on. I have the utmost respect and honor for the. And however they want to handle a case guess what they know better than I do how to treat it.

Thank you....if not you it would probably be me.

BBM

What good does it do to sit on information? Plenty!

If you're playing cat and mouse with a perp, the last thing you want is for that perp to have a good idea of what you know or don't know.

You keep some information in the deep dark so that if someone comes out with that information, you've got a suspect (or trail to a suspect).

You give out some information that isn't all that important and let the media go into the usual frenzy over it so that the perp is constantly wondering "is this all they have? Do they have more? Is this all a bluff?" A nervous perp is less likely to commit another crime and more likely to make another mistake.

As for the red car, it has been mentioned that they have over 80 bits of video where it is seen. That means someone or several someones spent hundreds of hours of watching black and white video, correlating what was in one piece of video with other pieces of video and figuring out which car or cars featured enough times to be beyond coincidence.

Each piece of video ends up being viewed many times in order to get information, confirm information, check if the information from Tape A is also on Tape B and on Tape C.

That is not an overnight job. It's not even a one week job. It's more like a multi-week job if you have lots of footage from lots of different cameras.

Sometimes when LE plays it close to the vest, it means they have basically nuthin. Sometimes it means they are thisclose to an arrest and are just locking down all the details they can before making their move.

In all the years I've been following cases, I have never been able to predict at the 2 month mark whether LE is onto someone or not. It takes longer, more like six to eight months, before it becomes clear.

I listened to the video again...it actually was said that "there are 80 pieces of video as evidence - some show the car close to Sierra's house, some don't." I personally took that to mean the car wasn't even in some of the videos. I could be wrong. Either way...very well put, again. Your posts are invaluable.

Nor am I upset at the reporters who manufactured a stir around the sweatshirt and the handcuffs/condoms. It was always obvious the sheriffs took a dim view of those discoveries. The reporters are actually not as close to this case as we are; they have a pile of stories to work on. It was just a couple of finds that came up and I'd rather hear about them than not, even though they were not that interesting.

So far, the books and bag are the pregnant discovery. They reveal an attitude about interaction in this crime at a point in time. To date, we're not sure who folded the clothing and tucked the bag behind the cactus but someone did and that person was not in a frenzy but composed.

Nor am I upset at the reporters who manufactured a stir around the sweatshirt and the handcuffs/condoms. It was always obvious the sheriffs took a dim view of those discoveries. The reporters are actually not as close to this case as we are; they have a pile of stories to work on. It was just a couple of finds that came up and I'd rather hear about them than not, even though they were not that interesting.

So far, the books and bag are the pregnant discovery. They reveal an attitude about interaction in this crime at a point in time. To date, we're not sure who folded the clothing and tucked the bag behind the cactus but someone did and that person was not in a frenzy but composed.

I've said it before, but I don't think we will ever know why and how the bag ended up there. That would mean someone confessed and I don't believe that will happen in this case. We may see a conviction someday, but I don't think we will learn why this bag was placed, tossed, hidden, etc...not unless the suspect talks, which is why I am so doubtful.

maybe Sierra put the bag there, after she willingly left from the driveway, with someone she some how knew...
maybe to make it look like an abduction
I dunno, throwing stuff out there

Oh and can anyone clarify? It might have been a rumor some where I was reading, but wasn't the person she was texting that morning about meeting, actually from the Fremont high school?

From the quote you have at the of your posts ("Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see" ~ Benjamin Franklin) it appears that you don't believe or trust anyone, not just the media and law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82