OK OK - Rev. Carol Daniels, 61, Anadarko, 23 Aug 2009

Even though the murder of Sister Pahl happened thirty years ago, her murderer, Gerald Robinson, was just convicted recently. I found two books about the murder:

"Sin, Shame and Secrets: The Murder of a Nun, the Conviction of a Priest, and Cover-up in the Catholic Church" by David Yonke

and

"Father, Forgive Me: A True Story of a Priest, a Nun, and Brutal Murder" by John Glatt

And yes, tapu, there is the question as to whom the intended "victim" is.

I can't believe they haven't asked for these profiles before now...I thought they would have been requested on these cases long ago...

Another case of possible interest is the murder of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl in Toledo, Ohio in 1980. The very priest who said mass at her funeral, Father Gerald Robinson, was arrested years later, in 2003 and charged with her murder. Another woman had come forward to accuse him and several other priests of abuse when she was a child, which caused LE to take a closer look at him. The staging of the body, once again, is very odd.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/killer_clergy2/index.html (note: several pages)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Robinson_(priest)

The case of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl had an episode on Biography channel not long ago under the program title 'Notorious'. I just looked at the program guide to see if it repeats and as far as I can tell it doesn't repeat again thru 11/27 anyway. In the T.V. episode it was explained that the Sister had objected to, and was very hurt and cried over, the fact that Robinson had shortened the Good Friday services thus taking away from God. She had voiced her objection to his decision loud and clear. Not long after she was found dead in the chapel of which not too many people had access too. Even at the time, they explained, he was the only one who had been unaccounted for. He said he had been in the shower at that time. The secretary heard a noise but didn't investigate she said.

The letter opener, which belonged to Robinson, had been wiped clean which was odd because you'd expect it to have fingerprints on it. Years later, they discovered, and they show you this, how the shape of the blade fit exactly into the wounds on the Sister (stopped at the bone and blade fit perfectly like a puzzle). Why they didn't see that originally, I have no idea. The pattern on the alter cloth when unfolded (blood) stain showed the shape of an inverted cross. They reported that they believe Robinson to be a follower of Satan. They found the complete (I don't know what it's called) writtings/doctrine of Satan in Robinson's home desk.

Thanks Joe, that blogspoter is right on. I totally agree with his speculation. Someone who lived close, he had to clean up quick from all the blood. He had to know to use the back door due to video of front door. He knew no one would hear screams at that time. And the idea the murder was made to look like an antichrist slaying to throw suspicion away from himself is very good. It was a premediated killing, he brought the weapon and solution to destroy DNA evidence. I really can not believe they have not solved this murder by now.

It was an interesting-enough article, but I did find myself disagreeing at times.

I'm not sure if it was ever decided (and announced) if the solvent was already at the church, or if it was brought by the killer. I know there was some question about it.

Also, because LE took the back door, it does not instantly follow that there was writing on it. Doors are removed regularly to find fingerprints.

While it would be handy for the killer to have lived close by, anyone who has lived for a time in a small town will know its quiet areas and its streets, so it doesn't necessarily signify someone in the next block; in the writer's second paragraph he talks about the physical smallness of Anadarko.

(Finally, and o/t, but BTK lived and killed in Wichita, not Kansas City.)

But I think he's correct in assuming that the killer was someone living in Anadarko, and one who likely planned the crime.

Hello All ~
I disagree with a lot of what this blogger has to say. We do not know if the offender brought the cleaning supplies. It is my opinion he used the cleaning supplies that he found on the premises. This offender is also not in the "organized" category. He would be in the "Mixed" category. Lastly, this blogger assumes Ms. Daniels was not sexually assaulted. I disagree. When ever an offender mutilates the breast it is considered to be a sexual offense. (At least in most cases) I would bet that Ms. Daniels was sexually assaulted and that LE did not release to the public. I profiled this case for a class. If ya'll want me to post it, let me know and I will.

Ruflossn

Hello All ~
I disagree with a lot of what this blogger has to say. We do not know if the offender brought the cleaning supplies. It is my opinion he used the cleaning supplies that he found on the premises. This offender is also not in the "organized" category. He would be in the "Mixed" category. Lastly, this blogger assumes Ms. Daniels was not sexually assaulted. I disagree. When ever an offender mutilates the breast it is considered to be a sexual offense. (At least in most cases) I would bet that Ms. Daniels was sexually assaulted and that LE did not release to the public. I profiled this case for a class. If ya'll want me to post it, let me know and I will.

Ruflossn

Yes! Please post!

Yes! Please post!

Profile: Carol Daniels

VICTIMOLOGY
Without having access to the official victimology reports, the information regarding the victim will not be exact and will be comprised of information gathered from the news media and quotes from the family members via the media.

The victim is Carol Daniels. She was a 61 yo, divorced, African-American female who worked a regular job and was also an ordained minister. From 2004 until her death in Aug. 2009, Ms. Daniels would drive 65 miles, one way, from her home in Oklahoma City to Anadarko, Oklahoma. While in Anadarko, Ms. Daniels would spend her time at the Christ Holy Sanctified Church. There was rarely a congregation to hear her preach. Yet, Ms. Daniels continued to make the weekly trek all because she was committed to God and due to that commitment, she wanted to offer any services she had to those who might be in need. The friends and family members who knew her describe her as; generous, sweet, friendly, quiet demeanor, not flashy, witty, a woman with a great sense of humor, dedicated to her position as a Pastor, and a woman of God. The lifestyle of Ms. Daniels would put her low risk to becoming a victim of such a horrific crime.

CRIME SCENE ANALYSIS –
Without having access to the professional crime scene photos the information regarding the crime scene will not be exact and will be comprised of information gathered from the news media. The information regarding the physical condition of Ms. Daniels has been garnered from the publicly released autopsy results.

The crime occurred in a small, somewhat run down church building. The church was located in an area of Anandarko, OK that was ½ mile from a ‘pretty high crime area’, per Jessica Brown, OSBI Spokesperson. The area located ½ mile from the crime scene was noted as an area troubled by drugs, including crack cocaine. The church is located near an alley where men were known to congregate and drink. While it is important to note the church was on the perimeter of a crime ridden area, it is also important to note it was located, ½ block from the City Police Department and 2 blocks from the Sheriffs Department.

Veteran law enforcement officers have described this crime scene as, “spooky, horrific, and one of the worst they have ever seen”. Ms. Daniels body was found behind the church alter, nude, laying in a crucified position. What has not been released is whether her nude and mutilated body was found face up or face down. While finding a nude body, lying in a crucified position would be considered troubling to most long term law enforcement officers, something else must have occurred for them to describe the scene as ‘horrific’. I believe not only was Ms. Daniels found nude in the crucified position, but she had also been the victim of a sexual assault. She was most likely raped with some sort of an instrument. (Possibly an ornamental cross).

The victim was attacked with some sort of ‘sharp instrument’, perhaps a knife. According to the autopsy notes, Ms. Daniels sustained such significant injuries that she was almost beheaded. The majority of the physical trauma occurred in the neck and chest area. Some wounds were noted to be post-mortem. The autopsy notes show a large gash on Ms. Daniels back. I believe this was the first area of injury. The offender attacked Ms. Daniels from behind. There were defensive injuries on her hands which indicate, she did put up a struggle and fought for her life. After Ms. Daniels was initially attacked, the offender toppled her to the ground and began the assault on the chest and neck area. In such a frenzy, he attacked with such viciousness, that Ms. Daniels was almost beheaded. Eventually he removed her clothing and set her hair on fire. In some instances, the clothing is removed for ease of the crime, or sometimes it is removed and taken as a ‘trophy’. In this instance, I do not believe it was taken as a trophy. I believe the clothing was taken to remove evidence. The offender might have kept a piece of clothing (perhaps the cassock) but to remove all the clothing is an indication of proactive measures to evade detection. Setting the hair on fire, was done to destroy evidence. It is my opinion this offender set Ms. Daniels hair on fire in the hopes that it would ignite, burn the body, and burn down the church building. Again, this indicates proactive measures in destroying evidence. This offender sprayed a dissolving chemical around the body of Ms. Daniels. The offender did this to destroy the physical evidence and he also hoped this might act as a accelerant in setting the fire.

OFFENDER CHARACTERISTICS-
When evaluating an offenders characteristics, one must ask –
1) What did the offender bring to the crime scene to help in the commission of the crime?
2) What did the offender use from the area of the crime scene to help in the commission of the crime?
3) What did the offender take when they left the crime scene?

The above questions will be difficult to answer due to the fact this crime remains an open case and many of the official documents have not been released to the public.

-This offender will be male of an African American or Native American ethnicity.
- He will be in his mid 20’s to late 30’s.
- He will have a criminal past / record.
- He will have known Ms. Daniels or at least known of her. She was not a random victim. She was targeted. Targeted because she was female and a minister.
- This offender is not a serial killer. He is someone who felt that Ms. Daniels had ‘wronged him’ or ‘did an injustice to him’. His only thought about Ms. Daniels was to prove he was superior to her.
- He will be local to the area. If he is not presently living in the area, he has lived there previous to the murder of Ms. Daniels.
- Prior to the murder, he ‘scoped out’ the church. Prior to her murder, he may have visited Ms. Daniels at the church.
- He will have completed high school or will have obtained a GED.
- He will drive an older model car or truck.
- He will have a job that would be considered ‘blue collar’ employment.
- He would be considered an individual that is a risk taker. (His crime occurred on a Sunday morning, within a 2 hour time table. The two hour time table was during the hours the church was officially open. He took a risk that no one would interrupt his crime).
- He will be narcissistic.
- His economic status will be lower class to middle lower class.
- This offender will have followed the media coverage of this case.
- He will have discussed this case, in detail, with those around him.
- Not long before this murder, the offender will have suffered some sort of stress. Possibly job related, or within an intimate relationship. Whatever the stress, the offender will attach blame to Ms. Daniels.

ORGANIZED / DISORGANIZED OFFENDER STATUS

This offender displays characteristics of both an organized offender as well as on disorganized offender.

Arguments for an organized offender would be; he prepared for the crime. This was not a crime of opportunity. He deliberately sought out Ms. Daniels. He brought a chemical agent to the crime scene, brought a fire starting agent to the crime scene, removed the victims clothing to stymie the investigation, removed the sharp instrument from the crime scene. Other than removing the victim from the crime scene, this offender did everything possible to remove or destroy physical evidence from the scene of the crime.

It could be argued this offender displayed one extremely important characteristic of a disorganized offender. This characteristic is the fact that Ms. Daniels was attacked, killed and left in one area. It does not appear this offender attempted to abduct Ms. Daniels. (As is common amongst organized offenders). I believe it was because sexually assaulting and murdering Ms. Daniels in the church was part of this offenders fantasy.

If pressed to answer whether this offender would fall into the organized or disorganized category, I would say, ‘organized’.

RECOMMENDATIONS-

-Review video tape of all areas near the church. Prior to this murder, the offender has been in this area. Review all video that might show the offender driving by the church.
- Interview attendants and review video tape at all Pike Pass stations. This offender has travelled to and from Anadarko. Someone might recognize a person that was agitated before or after this crime occurred. I would begin looking at tape from Saturday (the day before the murder) to Sunday evening.
- Review all criminal records that have an individual arrested for domestic violence, or criminal assault within Anadarko and Oklahoma City. Start the search with men of African American or Native American descent.
- Discuss with the high school Principal, Counselor, Teachers any student from 2004 to the date of Ms. Daniels death that might have discussed a boyfriend that was abusive.

Yes! Please post!

Hi wfgodot ~
Here you go. I wrote this paper a few months ago. I scored a 98%.
Let me know what you think.

:)

PS ~ plz do not grade me on my grammar.

There are parts of all the theories I find interesting. The good thing is there is still interest in solving this poor woman's murder.

Hi wfgodot ~
Here you go. I wrote this paper a few months ago. I scored a 98%.
Let me know what you think.

PS ~ plz do not grade me on my grammar.
Not bad! :)

The degree of over kill and the torching leads me to believe this individual was extremely ticked at her. Otherwise put, imo, there'll be a history. She knew her killer. Also, considering that she did not live in Anadarko, he knew her movements... when she would be there. This indicates he may have stalked her. I'm still a tad stuck on Hinton. Here's his arrest record. ( link ).

I also find this individual's post regarding the man more than interesting. Esp this part. ( link )

fast forward many years. when hinton got out of prison, he returned to his mother's home here in anadarko. from what i understand, mrs. hinton had custody of one of michael's daughters. they had a bit of a falling out b/c michael wanted to take his daughter somewhere. mrs. hinton refused. he eventually took the daughter without his mother's permission, and ms hinton turned it over to LE. i know he was arrested for kidnapping, but i don't know if they actually prosecuted him.

The biggest argument, by far, against him, is that he would have been 54 when the murder occurred. His history of violence along with his relationship with his mother, and her relationship with Daniels however certainly places him squarely the suspect pool. Either way, old reports def indicate LE was looking for the guy to, at the very least, rule him in/out of their suspect pool. ( link )

Thanks Shadow.
I agree, Pastor Daniels definitely knew her killer. Hinton was always my biggest red flag. But, we are almost two years into this case and Hinton has not been arrested. This leads me to believe he had a solid alibi and / or there was DNA
evidence that did not match Hinton.

Thanks Shadow.
I agree, Pastor Daniels definitely knew her killer. Hinton was always my biggest red flag. But, we are almost two years into this case and Hinton has not been arrested. This leads me to believe he had a solid alibi and / or there was DNA
evidence that did not match Hinton.
Assuming DNA was left at the crime scene. But yes, I agree with you. In light of the time passed, the logical conclusion is that they've ruled him out.

Only a 98%?? That's all?? Great paper, Rufflosn.

There's one detail that has always perplexed me about this case. I've lived in a small (approx. 500 people) town in Central Texas. I've traveled to OK City and Tulsa many times and stopped off in the tiny towns. When I lived in Texas, I was involved with a church and knew a number of ministers. And I fully understand that Pastor Daniels was described as being committed to her dwindling flock.

That said, it still seems extremely strange to me that a bright and caring woman with a day job would travel an hour one way with the possibility of seeing no one, when if she put her energy elsewhere, she could be certain of pastoring. Even if she'd driven to Anadarko each week and walked the streets, preaching to the transients and drug users, that would make more sense to me. Even if she'd driven to Anadarko and made housecalls, that would make sense. But going to a church building where the possibility was high that no one would show up has always seemed unusual. Preachers like to preach. Pastors like to pastor. They don't like to sit on a bench simply reading their Bible, waiting. They are typically doers, not waiters.

It's a tiny town, with a store and a car wash and the police station within a few hundred yards. I think a pastor would walk around and greet people and witness, while keeping an eye on her church door. If a group arrived, she'd walk back to the church and preach. I just can't see a woman sitting in an empty church waiting.

I've always considered the possibility that Pastor Daniels traveled to Anadarko for the express purpose of seeing a particular person each visit. Possibly they were part of the flock or someone she visited with or counseled after the service. It could be an old friend, someone with whom she had a romantic attachment, someone with a great need who called out to her and drew her in.

I think that this is the person who killed her. He knew where she'd be. He knew about the camera. He knew the building. He was in his comfort zone. He surprised her from the back and killed her due to some inner fury.

Good comprehensive new article:

Case of slain pastor remains open (lawton-constitution.com)
---
In the time that’s passed, the horror that jolted the small Caddo County community has receded. A crime that caught the nation’s attention through an intense media presence in its immediate aftermath has now become another unsolved and unrevisited story for cable news shows. There are no similar crimes to have been reported since, no random confession to arrive and lead investigators to a killer. In some ways, the murder has melted into memory.

But those who saw what became of Carol Daniels that August day haven’t forgotten.
---
much more at link above

I did not realize the church has been razed. Had that been reported in earlier articles? And while I suppose it is possible that Pastor Daniels fell into the position she was found in, I find that highly unlikely. I truly believe that the manner in which she was killed and her body staged will somehow play very strongly into solving this crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back