LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone catch me up please.

Various posters have tried enhancing the still pic of the white truck. Many people swear they see Mickey and/or her bike underneath the wheels of the truck, on the front passenger side. There seems to be a "light" of some kind underneath the truck, and some have speculated that it is the headlight from her bicycle. There has been much debate regarding the possibilities of LE releasing a pic that shows Mickey or her bike in the process of being run over by the white truck. People have strong opinions, and evidence to support their views, on both sides of the argument. LE has merely referred to the white truck as a "vehicle of interest." They have not definitively stated whether or not the driver of this truck is responsible for her disappearance. I hope this helps.

water doesn't wash away all fingerprints, right?? they will stick even though the body or object is in the water, right??

I have been wondering the same thing, and have seen several people ask this question. Here is what I found. HTH

"Water comprises approximately ninety-nine percent of the secretions that make up fingerprints, with various minerals, fats, acids, salts and oils the remainder. The first component of the prints to leave is the water, through evaporation and/or absorption. When deposited on surfaces, these prints can be detected and enhanced days later. Eventually, the oils and organic components also will break down, making lifting of the prints impossible, even if they can be detected."

This is a very interesting page to read since there is evidence that has been recovered in water. Even shows pictures of how the water affects finger prints. IMO

http://www.ucidiver.com/fingerprint_study.html

~Praying For Mickey

I have been wondering the same thing, and have seen several people ask this question. Here is what I found. HTH

"Water comprises approximately ninety-nine percent of the secretions that make up fingerprints, with various minerals, fats, acids, salts and oils the remainder. The first component of the prints to leave is the water, through evaporation and/or absorption. When deposited on surfaces, these prints can be detected and enhanced days later. Eventually, the oils and organic components also will break down, making lifting of the prints impossible, even if they can be detected."

This is a very interesting page to read since there is evidence that has been recovered in water. Even shows pictures of how the water affects finger prints. IMO

http://www.ucidiver.com/fingerprint_study.html

~Praying For Mickey
Here's another article you'll find interesting.

Success has been achieved in the recovery of prints from skin when the body has been placed in an optimum environmental setting after exposure to unfavorable environmental conditions and allowed to acclimate to the improved surroundings. Some of the untoward conditions to which bodies were exposed (and from which prints were recovered) included extreme heat, extreme cold (freezing), and submersion in water.
The bottom line is that success is possible as long as the skin is intact and the temperatures and humidity are in the correct ranges. More well-trained people are needed and body processing should be attempted much more often than it has been.

William C. Sampson
KLS Forensics
Here the expert suggests moving the specimen to a controlled environment with optimal temperature and humidity, and rehydrating/dehydrating the skin surface as required.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/printsfromskin.html

Here's another article you'll find interesting.

Here the expert suggests moving the specimen to a controlled environment with optimal temperature and humidity, and rehydrating/dehydrating the skin surface as required.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/printsfromskin.html

Could be wrong but I believe that super glue, as crazy as it sounds, can be used to retrieve finger prints off of skin and other difficult to test objects.

So there is a shoulder on that bridge? Though very narrow. But at 2 215 am in the morning it is conceivable that someone could park there for no more than 10 15 seconds to get out and toss the bike and then leave in a hurry. What is your opinion on that?

And thank you for the details, I could see everything well as you described it to us.

Actually, that part of the bridge does not have a shoulder at all (the bridge over the pilot channel)...there is shoulder before and after it but the steep bridge over the channel does not have one. The shoulder narrows down to nearly nothing right before you go over it, then opens back up on the other side.

Does that make sense? Wish I could post a pic from my phone

Actually, that part of the bridge does not have a shoulder at all (the bridge over the pilot channel)...there is shoulder before and after it but the steep bridge over the channel does not have one. The shoulder narrows down to nearly nothing right before you go over it, then opens back up on the other side.

Does that make sense? Wish I could post a pic from my phone

That's true, and being elevated makes it's difficult to see oncoming traffic at a distance as you can on the flat span. And they can't see you!

RE: 10 days before notification by LE of rape attempt on NC State University Coed Bicyclist 06/18/2012

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/06/25/1186624?sac=fo.local

A 14-year-old girl told police she was raped Thursday along Cross Creek Linear Park after leaving the Cumberland County Headquarters Library.

By Andrew Barksdale, Michael Futch and Nancy McCleary
Staff writers Tue Jun 26, 2012

A 14-year-old girl reported being raped along a downtown park trail Thursday evening after she had left the Cumberland County Headquarters Library, police said Monday.

The girl told police she was assaulted about 8 p.m. along Cross Creek Linear Park as hundreds of people were heading to Festival Park about a block away for the Fayetteville After Five concert.

Police released a description of the attacker but hadn't found him as of Monday night.

* Although Police Department policy requires notifying the public of sexual assaults involving strangers within 72 hours after the attack, Thursday's rape report wasn't made public until Monday morning.

* After The Fayetteville Observer questioned the delay, interim Police Chief Katherine Bryant apologized for a "breakdown in communications." The policy, which was adopted more than two years ago, applies to adult victims.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11259076/

Investigators have determined that the alleged attack never occurred, police said. There was no word on whether the girl would be charged with filing a false report.

but why are the handlebars looking bigger black and bold, when they're narrow with handgrips of gold?

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11259076/

Investigators have determined that the alleged attack never occurred, police said. There was no word on whether the girl would be charged with filing a false report.

It is important to note that this is a different case & city than the NCSU student abduction & attempted rape. (Fayetteville/Raleigh, NC)
I posted the link on the 14 year old rape(allegation) to show the link for the 72 hour notification required by LE when a rape occurs:

* Although Police Department policy requires notifying the public of sexual assaults involving strangers within 72 hours after the attack, Thursday's rape report wasn't made public until Monday morning.

* After The Fayetteville Observer questioned the delay, interim Police Chief Katherine Bryant apologized for a "breakdown in communications." The policy, which was adopted more than two years ago, applies to adult victims.

In the NCSU abduction & rape attempt it was over 10 days before a notification was made..

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11262355/

Man sought in attempted rape of 22 year old NCSU coed in Raleigh, NC 06/18/2012
WRAL article dated 06/29/2012

* Confirmed that Raleigh, NC Police detectives have Mickey Schunick's abduction information.

The last I had seen on this case was the photo of her riding past just before the white truck did. Then learning they had found her bike...Thats the last update i ever seen .So what is all the talk about a photo and the light on her bike being the same as under a truck...people are en larginf the pic to see if u can see it ...and there had been names of people what names what people anything atfter finding the bike would be new to me what are the new details right now everyone is talking about there seems to be a few different things..can someone fill me in. I been reading and reading but I cant keep up i need help to get caught up what happend after they found the bike what are they looking at .what pics .people .evidence anything

'CanManEh, it has been over 30 days since an LPD press briefing/update.
PI Abdella reported a few weeks ago that he had two suspects/POIs in his sights, but imo, needs to readjust his sights. Chasing rabbits...

Imo, due to the many parallels & coincidences, as well as the location of the bike dump, the sexual predator in the article below may be related to Mickey Schunick's abduction. Although it is 1, 000 miles away, it would not be unsual for a sexual predator to be transient in nature. There are many precedents of SOs traveling from state to state to avoid capture. Due to the amount of resources utilized & public awareness in the Mickey Schunick investigation, relocating would have been his best option, considering jurisdictional linkage blindness, imo.

http://www.carynews.com/2012/06/28/6...n-village.html

Police still hunting suspect in Raleigh, NC attempted rape - of 22 year old NCSU coed bicyclist

The suspect, who the police believe was caught in a surveillance photo, is described as a white male in his 20s to 30s with medium skin tone and muscular, 5-foot-7 or 5-foot-8 build. He had brown eyes and dark facial hair, and wore a blue shirt, what looks like a

* Yankees cap, baggy white shorts and black and white tennis shoes on the night of the attack.

"Parallels to Mickey Schunick's abduction" -

'Exactly one month between abductions; Mickey Schunick 05/19/2012 & Raleigh, NC abduction 06/18/2012'..

Bump & grab of bicyclist scenario indicated-rare MO for adult abductions according to research
(Damage to Mickey Schunick's rear bike tire)

Early morning 2:30 AM abduction - times nearly identical

22 year old coed - ULL & NCSU students

Proximity to College campuses

Probable ruse used in both abductions - (If LE came up on the scene, perp could only

be charged with a minor vehicle accident/ticketed - this perp is a thinker, imo)

Proximity of abduction to Interstates 2 to 3 miles

Bikes removed from scene in both abductions(forensics)

Chamberlain St., Raleigh NC, where the bump/ruse occured doesn't appear to have street lights.
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8718700

The last I had seen on this case was the photo of her riding past just before the white truck did. Then learning they had found her bike...Thats the last update i ever seen .So what is all the talk about a photo and the light on her bike being the same as under a truck...people are en larginf the pic to see if u can see it ...and there had been names of people what names what people anything atfter finding the bike would be new to me what are the new details right now everyone is talking about there seems to be a few different things..can someone fill me in. I been reading and reading but I cant keep up i need help to get caught up what happend after they found the bike what are they looking at .what pics .people .evidence anything

Canman, there was a 22 year old coed that was bumped while riding her bike near campus at 230am. Driver offered to take herhome then attempted to rape her. She escaped from his vehicle and he fled. This happened in Raleigh, north Carolina exactly one month after Mickey went missing.

I can't link the article cuz I'm one handed holding baby and in iphone

Toadlily, TY for sharing the abduction & attempted rape article of the 22 year old NCSU coed.
Has there been any physical description of the victim released?

Foxfire, I missed the last star in your post yesterday - that Raleigh police have mickeys info. I'm glad this is confirmed. I have watched datelines or whatever Friday night investigation show comes on around 9 with the host that has a creepy way about him. Anyway, a few of the cases were solved YEARS later when all along the criminal was a few cities over committing similar crimes. A lot of these stories are old cases, but still, confirmation of that is good. I'm not comfortable assuming anything at this point since LE is so quiet

Toadlily, TY for sharing the abduction & attempted rape article of the 22 year old NCSU coed.
Has there been any physical description of the victim released?

There has been no description given of the victim, nor do I expect there to be much more told about her than we already know. Victims identifications in rape cases is not usually given in the media here. One thing I wanted to offer up, a lot has been made about the fact that the Raleigh story is surfacing 10 days after the alleged incident took place. Is it possible that, for whatever reason, the victim didn't report it immediately? Another thing, JMO, but while this seems to have a lot in common with the Mickey Shunick case, I would be surprised if it is related. Like several others, I believe Mickey disappeared at the hands of a local perp, and I believe the Raleigh incident is probably someon local to this area. Also, one last thing. Someone was drawing parallels between the two cases and, IIRC, referred to Raleigh as a "college town'. NCSU is indeed in Raleigh, and the alleged victim is a coed, but when I think of a college town, I think more of Chapel Hill, where UNC students, staff and employees comprise a very large portion of the town's population. Raleigh is a city of a bit over 400,000, and calling it a college town is akin to calling New York City a college town because Columbia University is there. JMO

Foxfire, I missed the last star in your post yesterday - that Raleigh police have mickeys info. I'm glad this is confirmed. I have watched datelines or whatever Friday night investigation show comes on around 9 with the host that has a creepy way about him. Anyway, a few of the cases were solved YEARS later when all along the criminal was a few cities over committing similar crimes. A lot of these stories are old cases, but still, confirmation of that is good. I'm not comfortable assuming anything at this point since LE is so quiet

YES, justwannahelp, sexual predators and other violent criminals are recidivist and are evolving. They are very aware of jurisdictional linkage blindness and will use it as a strategy to avoid detection. As someone mentioned in a previous post; 'you can learn that from watching tv crime shows'..

If I hear another LEA PIO giving a press release saying, 'well this ain't CSI'..

"I think I may just throw my hands up and scream"!

Could be wrong but I believe that super glue, as crazy as it sounds, can be used to retrieve finger prints off of skin and other difficult to test objects.
---------
Well, there is a super glue called crazy glue. And, yes, there are a few cases where this technique has been used; featured on investigative crime programs.

There has been no description given of the victim, nor do I expect there to be much more told about her than we already know. Victims identifications in rape cases is not usually given in the media here. One thing I wanted to offer up, a lot has been made about the fact that the Raleigh story is surfacing 10 days after the alleged incident took place. Is it possible that, for whatever reason, the victim didn't report it immediately? Another thing, JMO, but while this seems to have a lot in common with the Mickey Shunick case, I would be surprised if it is related. Like several others, I believe Mickey disappeared at the hands of a local perp, and I believe the Raleigh incident is probably someon local to this area. Also, one last thing. Someone was drawing parallels between the two cases and, IIRC, referred to Raleigh as a "college town'. NCSU is indeed in Raleigh, and the alleged victim is a coed, but when I think of a college town, I think more of Chapel Hill, where UNC students, staff and employees comprise a very large portion of the town's population. Raleigh is a city of a bit over 400,000, and calling it a college town is akin to calling New York City a college town because Columbia University is there. JMO

SteveP, I honor your opinions and appreciate your input.
Physical descriptions/characteristics are not synonomous with identification.
IMO, it would be beyond foolish to ignore the many parallels or consider that a victim would wait 10 days to report an abduction and attempted rape, as well as a stolen bicycle.
Public Safety includes all of us and does not end at the State lines.
A municipality can be considered a college town if there is a college or university located there. Just a figure of speech..

Was the girl in NC near a "bike path"?
----------

Perhaps this reference posted previously, got you, like me thinking about bike paths:

I brought up the "Bike Path Rapist"- (NY) case. I followed this closely on another crime website, when the news broke that the FBI had finally been able to get this guy's DNA from the glass and flatware where he had been dining with his wife. He had gone undetected for decades and another man was wrongly imprisoned for some of the crimes.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altemio_Sanchez"]Altemio Sanchez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627