What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently listening to Blogtalk,the Simon show,and a theory was brought up that had me sit straight up in my chair. The defense will claim a victory on this case if ICA does not get the death sentence. In essence(in my understanding) if they can keep her off death row, they will claim victory and say with all the resources of the state, they were able to get her life,hence a victory is how the defense will spin it. Do you think the D/T will think a victory is ICA gets Life? :waitasec:

I was recently listening to Blogtalk,the Simon show,and a theory was brought up that had me sit straight up in my chair. The defense will claim a victory on this case if ICA does not get the death sentence. In essence(in my understanding) if they can keep her off death row, they will claim victory and say with all the resources of the state, they were able to get her life,hence a victory is how the defense will spin it. Do you think the D/T will think a victory is ICA gets Life? :waitasec:

I think the only victory Jose Baez sees is taking this to trial without getting fired.

Yes, I do think so - if JB is going after being death penalty certified - that win will be what he wants. That plus all the publicity that he thinks is positive :floorlaugh: should make him a happy camper.

Good catch on Patricia Young! I just saw TES and didn't look further into her. Someone else may have posted this but here she is after about 1:15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senJtpE-kL0

Thanks Strawberry for the video:

While I think this woman's intentions may have been good, she had no business there. She claim that she was supporting the A's is weak at best. No one protesting should have been there. They have the right but do your protesting in front of their command center's tent, not at their home. It's their home and it also disrupted the lives of the other homeowners on the street. The media should not have been there either. They all helped to create this circus.

If we were to ask these people, we're coming over to your house tonight with about 50 people to protest the fact that you protested THEY would not like it one bit.

GA did overreact. I believe that is his way. I do not believe CA would ever let GA physically punish their children. KC acts more as if the "rod" was spared and KC was never punished for anything regardless of what they say. I think GA redirects that anger towards situtations he feels he CAN control and his yard is one of them.

So as a juror I believe putting this woman on would be a waste, huge waste by defense. Because a homeowner would feel they had no business being there in the first place and GA was trying to protect his home. It's one reason why we have a military. To keep other people from coming in and taking over our country. Home is your castle, you are entitled to protect it. And this is why LE decided not to pursue it. It was a fine line and they sided with GA. jmo

Yes, you are right - there was lots of humming and hawing and "er - your honor" going on and the SA's hinky meter was definitely running on high...

I've never heard stuttering this fierce, unless it was coming from a kid who just got caught with its hand in the kooky jar. She made JB sound like a eloquent, fluid speaker. Sheesh!!!

Sounds to me like you are correct. The SA know they are up to no good and I got the impression the judge suspects something is up as well. I love that he made certain they knew he was going to make himself available and was expecting these reports! :floorlaugh: I think he just put AF on notice!

To me it didn't sound as if they were going to try to use the PTSD because Ms. Finnell said that she didn't think the state would need to have someone examine KC. If they were going to use any kind of psychological "excuse", then wouldn't the prosecution need to examine KC also?

George would do anything to save his daughter's life ... even defy a subpoena to attend a legal proceeding. If law enforcement told George it would save Caylee's life to go get info from Casey, George would do that to.
JB was trying to prove that LE coerced George into going to the jail to talk to Casey and get info out of her as in "agent of the state".

I think JB was trying to make a point as to how far George would go to help his daughter and his granddaughter - even allowing law enforcement to manipulate George as an "agent of the state".

I also think JB has told George to stay away from the proceedings for other reasons which George is not privy to ... so they can work their Defense strategy to BLAME GEORGE for things, without George hearing it and reacting to it for the cameras to see.

http://www.wftv.com/video/27068800/index.html
RAW VIDEO: George Anthony Back On...
Part Five - George testimony - March 3, 2011 Hearing

(21:43) Baez: Mr. Anthony, you loved grandaughter more than anything in the world - yes [crying]
Baez: and you would have done anything to help find her - yes
Baez: and you love your daughter more than anything in the world - yes
Baez: and you would do anything to protect her - yes
Baez: she is your baby? yes [crying]

(22:20) Baez: now, if I gave you the hypothetical sir, and said if you don't show up to court next Wednesday, and I'm not telling you not to show up to court, it would save your daughter's life - would you show up to court?
George: could you ask me that again.... I'm sorry ....

Baez: sure ... if I gave you a hypothetical, and I'm just doing that ....
Burdick: I'm going to object to the hypothetical - immaterial to the proceeding - whether or not Mr. Anthony is as an agent of state in a specific timeframe
Baez: ...this ....
Judge: just a second ... let him finish the question ... Mr. Anthony, prior to you answering the question, give Mrs. Drane an opportunity to object -- ask your question counsellor
[Mason has hand on KC shoulder]

Baez: if we had court next Wednesday, and this is a hypothetical OK, and I told you, it would save your daughter's life if you did not show up for court, would you show up?
George: if it is gonna save my daughter's life, I would not be here

Burdick: your Honor, again, I'm gonna object on the same basis, it is irrelevant and immaterial as to whether or not Mr. Anthony would do something next week, based on instructions from Mr. Baez.
Judge: objection will be overuled - it has relevancy to the witness' believability - he can answer the question
Baez: you can answer the question

(23:44) George: if you asked me to stay away from my daughter's legal proceedings, to not be here next week, and it would help save her life - I would stay away
Baez: even if you were subpoened to do so
George: even if I was subpoened to be here and I knew deep in my heart that it would save her life - I would subject myself to what I have to subject myself to, yes sir
Baez: and ...if I were a law enforcement officer telling you it would save Caylee's life if you went in there and got Casey to talk to them without a lawyer, would you do the same thing?
George: uh, yes, do the same thing ... I'd do it a 100 times
Baez: no further questions

no re-cross

Well GA can't testify that he abused KC because his deposition/statements to police say otherwise. In this case his statement that he would do anything to save KC's life would not help you at all. jmo

The Defense wants to add the two women who filed battery charges against George, to the Defense witness list - to give evidence of George's violent anger.

And the Defense already has George's sister and her husband, John and Sandra (Sonie) Haldie, on the Defense Penalty Phase witness list - and she can testify to George's violent rage in shoving his own father through a glass door. It will be interesting to see if the Defense asks to move these witnesses to the GUILT phase/regular Defense Witness List soon??

It will not be necessary for George to testify that he was abusive, the Defense will bring in other witnesses to provide proof of George's violent temper.

It will be interesting to see if Judge Perry allows the late filing of the Defense psychologists to show state of mind, related to post traumatic stress disorder. If the Judge denies that witness, then the Defense would most likely not use the other women to prove George's anger issues.

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1eypXuLsh5uatd0yhKQPIBl3_qCYIw5K-bc0q2jEVkHo&hl=en
STATE WITNESS LIST

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1SJuT6ZnZa_DMbH7rK5QXMFWMCG9xV7KVoIjLLRZfg_E&hl=en
DEFENSE WITNESS LIST

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t1IKoWtQFXbILJ9pVMwT-c0dXhXOtFw-u5N2jfvVJM0/edit?hl=en
DEFENSE PENALTY PHASE WITNESS LIST

Well yes. That has always been what Andrea "The Angel of Death Row" Lyon's goals were. And honestly, nobody has rewritten or re-evaluated the playbook since she was there. Ms. Lyons has a very famous, internationally known career that few people realize is based on having pretty much every single one of her clients convicted and sitting in jail for the rest of their natural lives. And she scores them all as wins.

I think JB still thinks there will be some big Perry Mason moment where he will save the day and get his client acquitted. Which simply indicates that he lives as much inside his own head as his client. I think CM is more realistic in this regard and knows what directions are completely losing propositions, but is more about laying the groundwork for appeals challenges. I think AF plans on keeping KC off death row, nothing more and that will be a win for her. I have no idea what DCS's goals are, I don't think the full magnitude here has sunk in with her yet.

To me it didn't sound as if they were going to try to use the PTSD because Ms. Finnell said that she didn't think the state would need to have someone examine KC. If they were going to use any kind of psychological "excuse", then wouldn't the prosecution need to examine KC also?

Ashton said he wants the doctor's Reports, then he will have a better idea what they are dealing with, and said if it is what he thinks it is ... that the State will want to have their own expert examine the Inmate.

Finnell said there is no rule of law that would allow the State to have the Inmate examined because it is NOT a mental health defense nor a diminished capacity issue. It is a state of mind issue and the rules of procedure do not say the State is allowed to have the Inmate examined in that situation. Finnell said there may be some litigation over that (which I think means there will be motions filed by the State and Defense to do battle over whether or not the Inmate will be examined by a State expert).

Finnell said she would have the Defense psychologist expert's Reports to the State by Friday or Monday. Ashton said he was anxious to set the doctors for deposition.

The Judge has not yet granted the Defense request to add the (6) new witnesses to the Guilt phase witness list, to include Dr. Danziger and Dr. Weitz.

The Defense wants to add the two women who filed battery charges against George, to the Defense witness list - to give evidence of George's violent anger.

And the Defense already has George's sister and her husband, John and Sandra (Sonie) Haldie, on the Defense Penalty Phase witness list - and she can testify to George's violent rage in shoving his own father through a glass door. It will be interesting to see if the Defense asks to move these witnesses to the GUILT phase/regular Defense Witness List soon??

It will not be necessary for George to testify that he was abusive, the Defense will bring in other witnesses to provide proof of George's violent temper.

It will be interesting to see if Judge Perry allows the late filing of the Defense psychologists to show state of mind, related to post traumatic stress disorder. If the Judge denies that witness, then the Defense would most likely not use the other women to prove George's anger issues.

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1eypXuLsh5uatd0yhKQPIBl3_qCYIw5K-bc0q2jEVkHo&hl=en
STATE WITNESS LIST

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1SJuT6ZnZa_DMbH7rK5QXMFWMCG9xV7KVoIjLLRZfg_E&hl=en
DEFENSE WITNESS LIST

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t1IKoWtQFXbILJ9pVMwT-c0dXhXOtFw-u5N2jfvVJM0/edit?hl=en
DEFENSE PENALTY PHASE WITNESS LIST

But is that good enough? Just seeing George on the witness stand tells us he has a temper. I'm not understanding how these examples of George and his father (issues of not providing for his family) and the protesters (examples of George protecting his family) can show George was abusive to ICA. Lots of people have tempers and blow up at their kids. That doesn't cause kids to go out and kill someone. And it doesn't prove even slightly if provoked he would kill his beloved grand daughter. IMO

Well yes. That has always been what Andrea "The Angel of Death Row" Lyon's goals were. And honestly, nobody has rewritten or re-evaluated the playbook since she was there. Ms. Lyons has a very famous, internationally known career that few people realize is based on having pretty much every single one of her clients convicted and sitting in jail for the rest of their natural lives. And she scores them all as wins.

I think JB still thinks there will be some big Perry Mason moment where he will save the day and get his client acquitted. Which simply indicates that he lives as much inside his own head as his client. I think CM is more realistic in this regard and knows what directions are completely losing propositions, but is more about laying the groundwork for appeals challenges. I think AF plans on keeping KC off death row, nothing more and that will be a win for her. I have no idea what DCS's goals are, I don't think the full magnitude here has sunk in with her yet.

Great post Faefrost as usual. Re: DCS - Free International publicity?

Ok I have since COURT TV started many years ago[ The Good Old Days] when we could just watch live courtroom drama actually happening in real time]
Many cases were focused on defense & they did manage to at least get along with everyone pro & con to the case.
But here?
It is like being in a NURSERY CLASS...or PRE_SCHOOL class?
we got one person writing, never looking at anyone, worried about what is on chatrooms about the person,gossip and all that.
So?
Yes it is more like it is a child who wants MOMMY & DADDY to LOOK AT ME!
Or just attention getting?
I mean BRING ME pictures of this NANNY with CAYLEE..bring me witnesses with pictures of them together and people who have seen and talked in person to them.
According to her she was taking her to the PARK,the beach, Disneyland...
where are the things she bought her at those places?
I mean come on now:floorlaugh:
Like I had said in another post
the key to this whole thing is that she did say
"SHE IS CLOSE TO HOME"
she was found close to home....

As an attorney myself, I am just surprised at the style of JB in this DEATH PENALTY case. He is way, way in over his head here. Okay, so the motions, the substance of them, that the defense has filed so far, I think those are fine. Tactically, the motions are logical for the most part. But the team in general seems a bit disorganized and JB seems to just not belong in this court room. he should be handling misdemeanors, IMO.

I have seen where he has done okay in some arguments, etc, but the questioning I have seen in these motions is painful to watch. He acts like a
child. He appears to think he is impeaching witnesses when he's not at all. I loved Forgey. He was very polite but stood his ground. I felt sorry for the guy because he seemed baffled by the idiocy of some of the questions and the overall snotty attitude of JB: "Let me see if I can break this down for you again. We'll start from the beginning and hopefully even a moron like you will understand." Arghhh!

JB is that deadly combination of ignorance and arrogance. We all know the type. They know just enough to feel they are authorities but not enough to recognize how ignorant they are. He will never realize he's in over his head. And that's why we are where we are. The strategy here seems to be to get as much money as possible from this case (although he surely did not anticipate how much work he'd actually have to do for the money he received, which really made it all not worth it), and to get famous by affiliation with this high profile case. The strategy had nothing to do with the best interest of casey.

If she were my client, very early on I would have challenged her and forced her to see what her statements, demeanor, etc, would seem like to a judge and jury. I would give her the choice but ultimately, my first goal would have been a reality check and hopefully a plea to negligent homicide, child endangerment, something less than murder one. It would be tough to convince a person like her of the reality but that would be my first priority. And that's what I do with my clients in my family law cases. I give them the truth.

Of course, I cannot guarantee that JB didn't do this but I'd bet he did not. The actions of his client, her family and of himself in the early stages show me he didn't care about anything but being involved in a high profile case. It's a mess.

Well GA can't testify that he abused KC because his deposition/statements to police say otherwise. In this case his statement that he would do anything to save KC's life would not help you at all. jmo

I was just thinking of that odd exchange between Jose and George as well. At first, I went AHA!!! and then I said, wait a second. Why would you want it on record that you would be willing to do anything to save your daughter? Would that not negate the whole "I did it" later?

If the defense uses a ptsd strategy due to parental abuse, or a strategy that GA might have killed Caylee in a fit of rage and then takes testimony from the two people who were shoved by GA while carrying a hammer

and then
(per Jose's instructions) GA does not show in court for his own testimony...

It would sure make him look like he has something to hide.

And normally a defense laywer would never instruct a subpoenaed witness not to show up but then again this is Jose.

So when is GA lying? When he told Jose he would do this or when he told LE he wanted to know what really happened to Caylee?

I was just thinking of that odd exchange between Jose and George as well. At first, I went AHA!!! and then I said, wait a second. Why would you want it on record that you would be willing to do anything to save your daughter? Would that not negate the whole "I did it" later?

But that's just George being a drama queen - his whole testimony is like that!

Poor George - he can't tell the difference between his Sympathy card and his DQ card....

If the defense uses a ptsd strategy due to parental abuse, or a strategy that GA might have killed Caylee in a fit of rage and then takes testimony from the two people who were shoved by GA while carrying a hammer

and then
(per Jose's instructions) GA does not show in court for his own testimony...

It would sure make him look like he has something to hide.

And normally a defense laywer would never instruct a subpoenaed witness not to show up but then again this is Jose.

So when is GA lying? When he told Jose he would do this or when he told LE he wanted to know what really happened to Caylee?

Well, we could start at the beginning and start with his testimony about seeing ICA leave with Caylee and Caylee was dressed in......... and go from there......:innocent:

Well, we could start at the beginning and start with his testimony about seeing ICA leave with Caylee and Caylee was dressed in......... and go from there......:innocent:

Considering no shoes were found with the remains and the stain in the trunk looks as if there is a foot at the bottom of the picture (not a shoe), Caylee may have been taken directly from the bed (morning/naptime) and died either in the bedroom or shortly after. Obviously KC did not think Caylee would be needing shoes. Even more interesting is how Caylee made such a big deal about her new shoes in the July 15th conversation on the phone (which we know never took place). Sounds like KC was already trying to make an excuse why all Caylee's shoes would be accounting for within the home. And we know GA did not see Caylee that day because he had the day wrong. I imagine he overheard KC tell police what she was wearing but that may have been another day when they actually did leave the house together (and maybe it was the 9th).

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member