Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liable or not, the university has egg on its face.

Defense motion asserts he was actually being treated by the psychiatrist.

She is head of the student mental health services and also a psych professor.

She's treating a student who is studying how the brain works, and who is surrounded by experts in brain function and abnormality. They are not mental health clinicians, but do study things like Alzheimers and mental illness at the neurological and biochemical level.

It's all ironic, and not in a good way. Bunch of experts on brain function and the head of student mental health, a professor who trains psychiatry students on identifying and treating mental health issues, fail to either register or respond appropriately to someone in acute crisis who then goes on a murderous rampage.

I do find it credible that his choice of field might have been motivated in part by a desire to understand himself.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, (i missed a few pages) but JH left his position, he was no longer a member of the university. Why should she still be responsible for him?

Liable or not, the university has egg on its face.

Defense motion asserts he was actually being treated by the psychiatrist.

She is head of the student mental health services and also a psych professor.

She's treating a student who is studying how the brain works, and who is surrounded by experts in brain function and abnormality. They are not mental health clinicians, but do study things like Alzheimers and mental illness at the neurological and biochemical level.

It's all ironic, and not in a good way. Bunch of experts on brain function and the head of student mental health, a professor who trains psychiatry students on identifying and treating mental health issues, fail to either register or respond appropriately to someone in acute crisis who then goes on a murderous rampage.

I do find it credible that his choice of field might have been motivated in part by a desire to understand himself.

Well many might study how to brain works, it's a far cry from saying we understand it. So I am not sure how you expect these people to work miracles? There is no cure for these diseases, the best we can attempt is to treat them. Again, unless she has direct knowledge he is going to kill people, she can not even warn anyone about him.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, (i missed a few pages) but JH left his position, he was no longer a member of the university. Why should she still be responsible for him?

IF she was his doctor and treating him, can she just drop them like a hot potato? IMO, she may have referred him to another psychiatrist after he withdrew and PERHAPS that may have been one of his triggers for this attack (??)

:moo:

Marc Lepine hated women. His childhood was not the same as James Holmes as far as we know so far. Dysfunctional family. He hadn't seen his father in years. He was rejected by the military. He committed suicide the same day of the massacre.

As of today, we do not have a motive for James Holmes massacre. IMO, without more information on this case, it's premature to say there are similarities except they both murdered innocent people. I consider ML's case similar to Columbine and Virginia Tech.

:moo:

believing in a a delusion is the only connection i'm suggesting.
the fact that misogyny is a real issue & hating batman is absurd
do not matter in that world.

"If JH was seeing the DR for medication and counselling before his horrendous act, then him mailing anything to his DOCTOR WOULD be covered under doctor patient confidentiality.

BUT!! The fact is in this journal he threatened the lives of others!... Even after the fact, if a patient threatens others, is it still covered?"

Prosecution response to defense motion asserted that the package had not been opened yet and media reports about its content did not come from law enforcement.

But you raise an interesting point: if the package contains threats, can the defense claim patient confidentiality? And who determines what is a "threat" in this situation, where hindsight colors every communication and makes it see an inevitable precursor?

I'm pretty sure that they must report threats that would harm others or themselves (Baker Act for suicidal patients.) I'm sure professional judgement is used- just like teachers are trained to spot and report abuse, etc.

believing in a a delusion is the only connection i'm suggesting.
the fact that misogyny is a real issue & hating batman is absurd
do not matter in that world.

Perhaps you're right. I think there is a difference. One who claims to be a fantasy character (The Joker) versus someone who is a misogynist.

At the end of the day, however, legally it may not make a difference. IDK There is still so much we don't know about this case.

I'd like to mention there is a thread devoted to the package delivery. ;)

I would actually like to know when the last visit with the psychiatrist was??? He was planning this murder for at least 4 months..... did she treat him during this time?

Boy am I glad JBean gave us a forum for this case before we got tangled up like this! Gracious, what a confusing case! I DO think we can learn a lot from this case - probably about things we haven't even thought of yet. We have some awesome new posters here with us, and your insight and thoughts are great!

While I personally don't see that this particular DR. 'saw' JH in the capacity the defense is now 'claiming' for the sake of removing of the journal.

IF JH WAS seeing the DR professionally before his acts, it MIGHT be relevant.

If JH was seeing the DR for medication and counselling before his horrendous act, then him mailing anything to his DOCTOR WOULD be covered under doctor patient confidentiality.

BUT!! The fact is in this journal he threatened the lives of others!... Even after the fact, if a patient threatens others, is it still covered?

Little confused on that aspect.

If a patient threatens other people's lives then that doctor must commit that patient until they believe he is no longer a risk. The doctor is also allowed to contact the people the patient has threatened to harm and tell them. In this case if it was just pictures of victims bring shot then there would be no one to contact personally, just LE and commit JH.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

If a patient threatens other people's lives then that doctor must commit that patient until they believe he is no longer a risk. The doctor is also allowed to contact the people the patient has threatened to harm and tell them. In this case if it was just pictures of victims bring shot then there would be no one to contact personally, just LE and commit JH.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! My question is now... after the fact, IF threats came into that same doctor by mail or email (after the fact)... would they still be privileged? The patient is now incarcerated. Are you as a DR who treated him still obliged to (still keep patient/client privilege) after he made written, mailed threats about the safety of others to you?

I just got home from work and notice that there is lots of discussion about the package and the defense motion in the psych profile thread. while they do overlap to a degree we are going to end up with parallel conversation.
So, I am going to move some of the package post from this thread to the other thread and let's just do what we can to keep the conversations separate.
Again I know they converge-but when we start getting in depth about the package, when it came when they knew about t etc, etc-it crosses over.
Thanks and hang with me please while I do a little housekeeping.
gracias.

OH man harder than I thought- I am still working on it but hopefully I haven't made it worse LOL.
Please try to discuss the package and the motion regarding said package in the other thread.
Try and use this thread for Home's behavior and background.

If the threads end up to disjointed we may just start over with new ones.

Someone has started a thread that is unapproved about the doctor. but at this point the doctor is intermingled in all the threads and I am afraid a third one would just make it more confusing. So let's leave that unapproved for the moment.
I am thinking someone else may start a thread on her too and that is why I am posting this info.

Snippets from article:

Dr. Lynne Fenton was reprimanded in February 2005 for prescribing medication to herself, her husband and employee, according to documents obtained by 7NEWS reporter Marshall Zelinger.

Fenton, who has done award-winning research on schizophrenia, is also medical director of the campus Student Mental Health Service, according to her professional biography on the CU website. Her psychiatry practice includes providing medication and psychotherapy to five to 10 general psychiatry patients, the bio said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31312016/detail.html

My goodness.

Vicodin was one of the prescribed meds for which she was reprimanded. Just because she specializes in schizophrenia doesn't mean JH was there for that.

I never stated he was.

Yaiks... i see Vicodin

Prescription Timeline

-Undated: Prescribed herself Claritin, which was not a controlled substance, but required a physician’s order. -April 1997: Prescribed Lorazepam and Vicodin for an employee suffering chronic headaches and anxiety. -April 1997: Ingested three Xanax tablets when mother was suffering terminal illness. -1998: Provided an employee four Xanax tablets for anxiety over an airline flight. -1999: Prescribed Ambien to her husband for insomnia on at least three occasions, then directed him to obtain the medication from his regular treating physician.
The stipulation said Fenton did not maintain a medical chart or enter appropriate or essential entries for her chart relating to herself, her husband or the employee.
She voluntarily completed more than 50 hours of continuing medical education with the Dannemiller Memorial Education Foundation in pain management and COPIC’s Level I Risk Management Seminar.
Fenton acknowledged to no longer prescribing medications for family members and employees except in life-threatening emergencies. She acknowledged she will not prescribe or dispense narcotic medications for family or employees under any circumstance. She is only to prescribe medications to bona fide patients.

I never stated he was.

That was me thinking out loud. Reportedly JH took a vicodin before the shooting. The doctor was previously reprimanded for prescribing vicodin for anxiety/headaches to the employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288