India - Baby Having 2 Heads Born - Seriously

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2014/03/14/baby-having-2-heads-born-in-india/

‘Baby Having 2 Heads’ Born in India

Conjoined twins born at a hospital in India appear to share everything below their two, separate heads, hospital officials told ABCNews.com.

“Yes this report is perfectly true that we have delivered a female baby having two heads,” Dr. Ashish Sehgal, the CEO of Cygnus JK Hindu Hospital, told ABCNews.com in an email. “She is presently alive and healthy.”...

That's gonna be hard to grow up with. This isn't a joke.

yes i thought of them ms.........saw them on TLC many years ago.......

bless them, can you imagine?? paint me impressed

I wonder how bad the neck of the one with their head at a weird angle hurts.

Because they are completely cojoined except for the heads, it's not going to be possible to separate the two.

If there is only one heart, the infant won't survive. The Hensel twins have two hearts, which is very uncommon in such completely conjoined twins.

This is just awful for the poor little babies and the parents also. Thoughts and prayers.

The baby doesn't have two heads - those are two babies. Unfortunately the outcome won't be good, but it's unfortunate when people sensationalize it as a person with extra body parts. Biologically, that can't really happen - it's an absorbed twin that in most cases is not functional. It's very sad when both are functional and one or both will die.

Oh those babies that were able to see each other after the surgery :) Melt my heart!

I couldn't watch or read anything about conjoined twins for years after having my id twins. I remember when they were born the dr. showing me how the umbilical cords were about touching on the placenta. An early split is what he told me. Now I watch and I'm in awe and sad and happy at those surgeries that work.

These babies here, one body and two heads. Ugh, it just doesn't seem plausible, how will this work. They could never be split to be their two little individual selves. Can they live this way? Can they be healthy? Can they be happy????

All of the good stories we see, there are many more sad endings though. There's no way these two could be successfully split so really the question is can they maneuver this world as is?

They can live if they have two hearts. Otherwise, no.

Conjoined twins are created by a late seperation of the egg into two, not an early one.

If there is only one heart, the infant won't survive. The Hensel twins have two hearts, which is very uncommon in such completely conjoined twins.

Only one heart between the indian twins. They seem to be much more cojoined than the Hensel twins. The body looks like the body of a single child. All the organs except the heads are in numbers for the single child.

Do you mean they can't live IF they are separated, or they can't live even if left conjoined?

Thanks!

Most likely either. It's not possible to separate them and one heart likely won't be able to support both heads.

Since there aren't two hearts, only one- why can't doctors surgically remove one head and save one human being?
Two heads are incompatible with long term survival, as common sense tells us. Brains need excellent cardiac perfusion to grow and thrive.

This may sound harsh to those who don't understand that there is nothing other than a head to separate but I'd rather see one child live and grow than the incomplete twinning die. Maybe they don't have the technology in that part of the world to perform the intricate surgery, or maybe it's a matter of the parents being so poor, or maybe even a religious taboo? I don't know, but it's stunningly sad, no matter what.

Since there aren't two hearts, only one- why can't doctors surgically remove one head and save one human being?
Two heads are incompatible with long term survival, as common sense tells us. Brains need excellent cardiac perfusion to grow and thrive.

This may sound harsh to those who don't understand that there is nothing other than a head to separate but I'd rather see one child live and grow than the incomplete twinning die. Maybe they don't have the technology in that part of the world to perform the intricate surgery, or maybe it's a matter of the parents being so poor, or maybe even a religious taboo? I don't know, but it's stunningly sad, no matter what.

I've read that they are planning to do surgery. Not sure what surgery they are planning to do. If they wanted to remove one head, who decides which child gets to live and which gets to die? Even if you ignore ethical issues, this type of surgery has not been done before. I am sure it's not easy to remove a head. We are talking about a surgery on a spine after all.

"The 3-day-old twins of Urmila and Subhash Sharma have also have two necks, two spines and two separate esophagi and trachea, but between them have only one heart and stomach, while each has a lung. Doctors at their hospital are reaching out to others around the world to see what can be done to separate — and save — the newborns.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-body-2-heads-article-1.1723352#ixzz2wBTzWnKF

I'd say they are tilting at windmills regarding separating both successfully because of the uni-cardia. Only one body can be preserved and repaired. I can't see any pediatric heart transplant team in the world being willing to hand over a heart to a separated body without a heart under these very sad and dismal circumstances.

There are most likely differences in the brain developments of each cranium in a situation such as this, so brain scans would show which had the best chance to develop and thrive if the surgery is performed.

As for which head survives, this is possibly an ethical/ theological question, but it is asinine because either doctors save one head, heart and body, or let all perish naturally because there is only one heart. I have empathy for the situation but know the reality is very harsh. There's no way to sugarcoat this and really, if this most tragic type of conjoined twinning happened in the USA ( with one heart), we would not know about it, most likely. It's a very personal tragedy for the parents and other family, but it is not international news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back