"Reckless, irresponsible": Kansas teacher's "gay is same as murder" Facebook rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is exactly your opinion - and very offensive.
Why isn't it bigoted to be anti-group marriage?

Again, you're throwing in irrelevancies because you can't defend this teacher you've tried to make a martyr for some cause you support.

Group marriage is not equivalent to gay marriage for a number of reasons that have already been discussed in other threads. Pull up one of them or start a new thread is that is what interests you.

He wasnt talking about any crime ,he was talking about sin. The fact that those sins are crimes was irrelavent to his post. He was purely speaking on his belief system and sins.

More words games. Okay, you're right: sins, not crimes.

But if Christians think all sins are the same, there is something seriously wrong with their theology. There's still a difference between sinning that harms someone and consensual behavior that harms no one. To equate the two, even if technically correct according to somebody's dogma, is appalling.

Again, you're throwing in irrelevancies because you can't defend this teacher you've tried to make a martyr for some cause you support.

Group marriage is not equivalent to gay marriage for a number of reasons that have already been discussed in other threads. Pull up one of them or start a new thread is that is what interests you.

It is equivalent because it's outside of the basis for marriage of one man, one woman that this man believes.

But if Christians think all sins are the same, there is something seriously wrong with their theology. There's still a difference between sinning that harms someone and consensual behavior that harms no one. To equate the two, even if technically correct according to somebody's dogma, is appalling.

just because something is consensual does not mean that it harms no one.

But I'm not asking you if its a surprise. Nobody said it was a surprise to see someone posting views against gay marriage on the grounds that homosexuality is equivalent to murder either.

What I'm asking you is how you feel about someone who thinks apostasy from Islam is equivalent to murder being a public school teacher. How do you feel about such a person being in a position of authority vis a vis a young muslim who is struggling with doubts about their religion?

The question really doesn't have anything to do with public schools (I'm not a fan of anyway) the question is did this teacher have the right to free speech on his personal facebook page. My answer is yes. When someone comes under fire for one of your made up scenarios we'll discuss it then -

That's incorrect -

Would you like to cite the passage you believe to be so clear?

I have yet to find a qualified scholar who thinks the NT references are anything but entirely ambiguous.

It is equivalent because it's outside of the basis for marriage of one man, one woman that this man believes.

More from the Gospel According to Santa Claus. Because the Bible quite clearly supports polygamy.

Would you like to cite the passage you believe to be so clear?

I have yet to find a qualified scholar who thinks the NT references are anything but entirely ambiguous.

Who are you considering qualified scholars? People who agree with you? Would you really be willing to accept someone's opinion that differs from your own?

You didn't answer my question about Greek earlier....do you accept Plato's writings as authentically translated? or is it just the Bible you have problems with the translation?

just because something is consensual does not mean that it harms no one.

And whom does it harm then? (I know, I know: it's a threat to some Christians' ability to impose their will on others.)

More from the Gospel According to Santa Claus. Because the Bible quite clearly supports polygamy.

Tell me specifically, what you consider from the Bible that quite clearly supports polygamy?

I'm sure this makes sense on some level to someone here - what is your point exactly?

Awww, I'm sorry....would you like me to type more slowly? ;) I surmise from your response that you did not read the linked article. Might want to familiarize yourself with the topic at hand. Just a suggestion.....

And whom does it harm then? (I know, I know: it's a threat to some Christians' ability to impose their will on others.)

You are equating the term consensual with harmless - I don't believe the words mean the same thing.

That's incorrect -

You're right, Charlie. Homosexuality is clearly addressed in seven books of the Bible, both Old & New Testament, along with other sins.

Haven't read the thread yet. Just saw this post and thought I'd comment. Will read now.

Awww, I'm sorry....would you like me to type more slowly? ;) I surmise from your response that you did not read the linked article. Might want to familiarize yourself with the topic at hand. Just a suggestion.....

If slowing typing speed makes a post more clear, I'm all for it.

To give them their due, the two ancient branches of Christianity - catholic and orthodox - definitely do not think all sins are the same. There is a difference between, say, gossip and murder.

Of course, I do disagree with both those branches' stands on homosexuality and other issues. But thought I'd just throw that out there. Not all branches are as odd in their theology as American evangelicalism. :D

The question really doesn't have anything to do with public schools (I'm not a fan of anyway) the question is did this teacher have the right to free speech on his personal facebook page. My answer is yes. When someone comes under fire for one of your made up scenarios we'll discuss it then -

Did he not also have students as FB friends? Do you think that fact makes it any less appropriate?

Who are you considering qualified scholars? People who agree with you? Would you really be willing to accept someone's opinion that differs from your own?

You didn't answer my question about Greek earlier....do you accept Plato's writings as authentically translated? or is it just the Bible you have problems with the translation?

I have never claimed to read Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic (except for a few words of the former that are relevant to my field). However, I have studied comparative translations of Plato and Aristotle. I have even published articles and lectured extensively on differing translations, how and why they differ and what it means to our understanding of ancient authors.

If you want to know which Biblical scholars I trust, it would be those (whatever their personal beliefs) who approach philology as a science, rather than attempting to take copies of old texts and imposing a pre-determined belief system on them. It is actually quite easy to tell the difference by reading their work (but don't skip the footnotes).

As for favoring those translators with whom I agree, the scholars I trust don't always agree with each other, so they are hardly in a position to confirm my personal suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie