Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I went to a local library today just to see if anything useful might be there. I did find a couple city directories from San Francisco from 1969, 1972, and 1973. I found nothing in the 1969 directory - in 1972 & 1973 I did find a Geo. Waters (but no GB) at 630 Geary (Hotel Paul) but when I cross referenced the address I did not find any residents of the hotel listed... only the owner/manager's name (which was different in both directories)

Again, probably another useless bit here but I was searching articles containing the word "barbers" in Berkeley and this popped up and gave me the chills.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=hwIiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qaMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4232,734039&dq=barbers&hl=en

The red haired barber's 21 year old niece, Lois Wright, informed authorities that her uncle had sought to take out life insurance on her, naming himself as the beneficiary. The girl's statement was verified by Howard Corliss, Los Angeles manager for a nationally known insurance company. "James came to us and wanted to take out a $1000 policy on the girl", he said. "He said nothing about taking out insurance on himself and making her the beneficiary, so we became suspicious and turned him down.

It goes on to talk about how two of his wives and his nephew died mysteriously and this guy "James" was suspected of causing their deaths to collect insurance money.

This article is from 1936, by the way... which happens to be (I think) the earliest year we know GB was in Oakland/Berkeley.

It turns out this James guy was executed in 1942.

Neighborhood: Downtown Berkeley
Pete's Center Street Barber Shop
1906 University Ave
(between Martin Luther King Jr Way & Bonita Ave)
Berkeley, CA 94704

(510) 843-8755

Isn't this the same address spoken of above in the newspaper clipping?
Can anyone call to see if they recall GB?

Now that the barber possibility has come up, I just remembered something about Grecian Formula was written in that squibb book lol

So I went through the squibb looking for that and came across some phone numbers and addresses that I'd also like to look up in the SF city directories... so I will go back and check into those over the weekend.

Except for his claims of being a boxer and a politician, this is the first real evidence of a profession.

GB might have classed himself as a politician if he held office in a union, or for that matter, was even a member of a union. He obviously suffered from illusions of grandeur.

And maybe he said he was a boxer because he got slapped in the face outside the barber shop LOL :)

And of course he may well have lied about his age to the newspaper reporter who did the story about the picket line.

He could have been white/grey at 62 but I think that usually happens when people have darker hair. I don't know if people go white/grey by that age with blonde or red hair.

FWIW, my sons godfather was almost completely white by 48 but he also had black hair.

and.... Some people just grey young. A grade school friend of mines mother was totally grey by her late 20's, and a few weeks ago I was standing outside my sons school waiting for him to get out. Some of the older children were out before he was, and his school is preschool through 8th. A kid at his school, who has black hair, was standing in front of me while I was waiting for my son and I noticed he has single strands of grey here and there.... and the kid is still in grade school or JH. Brody could have been someone who genetically greyed young.

There are also 62 news articles on Lydia. I will read them on the weekend and post anything that looks interesting.

Ugh, I keep hitting the wrong button to quote. (so if you see todays date that I edited a post, I did not, it was just my hitting edit instead of quote. I haven't had enough coffee yet.)

Thanks Ozzie. It's a long shot, but since it appears Lydia was never able to legally establish paternity of her son I took a guess based on the time frame and location perhaps Brody is her illegitimate son. Of course that could be totally wrong.... it just jumped out at me for some reason. And Brody strikes me as the kind of person that would have been angry about that and stayed angry about a father not acknowledging him.

It turns out this James guy was executed in 1942.

Executed? wow! At least we know he was not GB. Thanks for looking! Another one ruled out.

We are certainly running into some 'interesting' characters here, no?

I have tried to put together a timeline on Brody and Waters and other significant events. This will help me when I go search the city directories but thought it might be useful to others as well. Please let me know if i missed anything pertinent.

1936 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 483 9th St Oakland, salesman
1938-1940 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 534 12th St Oakland (Hotel St Paul?), jr research assistant
1941 - Oakland GB is picketing for AFL Barber's Union, gets punched, calls police, goes to court. GB's address listed in news article as 1724 San Pablo Ave.
August 1942 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 1724 San Pablo Ave. Jr Research Assistant
November 1942 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 2329 San Pablo Ave, Jr Research Assistant
1943 - MK starts working at Letterman Hospital
1944 - Oakland GB registered to vote, listed at 2329 San Pablo Ave, Jr Research Assistant
1952 - MK arrested
1953 - MK listed twice in SF City Directory: on Fell St (may be listed as K M Berghald) and at 1925 Fulton #5 (nurse)
1957 - MK listed at 3009 Mission St SF (agt Stroll-O-Matic)
1958 - MK listed at 3019 Mission St SF (Oriental & French Imports)
1958 - EW known to be in SF
1960 - "Mary Kay" listed at 3141 Franklin #4
1961-1963 "Mary Kay" listed at 1006 Noe St #3
1962 - GB was at 1006 Noe by this time according to statement from landlord
1966 - Mary M Kay (wid of John) listed at 1006 Noe #3 occ-"Better Fashion Home"
Aug 1966 - GB visits MK at SFGH (Jessie Evans of 88 6th St also at hospital)
May 1967 - Insurance premium notice for MK "Mary Kay" addressed to GB at Otis Hotel (at 1156 Sutter) <--note this is the address EW knew GB to live at
July 1966-January 1967 - Rent payments for 1006 Noe were made by MK
July 1967 - Rent payment for 1006 Noe made by GB
Aug 19 1967 - GB writes statement indicating hospital demanded financial statements from MK
Aug 30 1967 - MK dies at age 50
1967 - Annasmom meets GB
Early 1968 - GW last visit to Anna
Oct 1968 - GW writes letter to German embassy
Feb 1969 - GW writes letter to wife of German leader
Aug 1970 - GW requests ephemeris for 1939 and 1947 (Sigrid) mentioning date 7/15/71
Mar 1971 - GW buys camera (later reported stolen)
May 1971 - GW makes note to contact BMW re: will
Sep 1971 - GW indicates he is planning a vacation
Sep 19 1971 - GW books R/T flight to Chicago/Central Wisconsin
Mar 1972 - GW returns binoculars??? (see Mar 1973)
May 1972 - GW begins taking out accidental death policies
Dec 1972 - last child support payment is made by GW
Jan 16 1973 - Anna disappears
Jan 1973 - TWA plane ticket appears to have been purchased, est ticket cost $500
Mar 1973 - Gw returns binoculars?? (see Mar 1972)
Sep 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka, addresses her as "Little Tito", leaves a phone number where she can reach him from 10pm-1045pm 474-3717
Nov 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka's parents
Dec 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka warning her not to alienate him
Jan 1977 - GW writes note dictated by GB "I did her a favor by accepting her.." (Seka)
Jan 1977 - GB writes letter to Seka
Jan 1977 - GB writes 2nd letter to Seka accusing her of betraying him, mentions her place of work and "Mike".
July 1978 - "Mr George" receives postcard from Seka
1978 - Jessie Evans dies
Apr 28 1981 - "George Bee" checks into Childrens Hospital
May 5 1981 - "George Bee" is released from Hospital
Aug 1981 - GW writes note about preparing when ready to go - "Arrange power of attorney, make final arrangements on policies, notary, fingerprints, etc"
Dec 20 1981 - GW calls Griffin Institute in San Diego
Dec 24 1981 - GW makes 7 minute call to Martinez number (anesthesiologist?)
Dec 24 1981 - GB dies.
Dec 24 1981 - GW makes lengthy call to EW
Dec 28 1981 - GW contacts Law Offices of Martin Dean
Jan 1982 - GW dies
Dec 1992 - EW dies in San Mateo County

A couple things I noticed while researching and attempting to piece together this timeline:

1) The address where GB is listed in the voter reg "2329 San Pablo Ave" was the Open Door Church in 1942 (at the time GB was listed). Apparently it had some sort of housing though, because another person was listed as living there during that time - a Gordon Williams, age 15 in 1942. The pastor of this church was a Raymond Williams (possibly Gordon's father?) and it was a Christian church, as far as I can tell. (check google archives for "2329 san pablo" if you want to see the source)

2) EW had indicated in her conversation with JF that she knew GB to live at the Otis Hotel and GW (jack wolf) to live at 630 Geary. I believe Doogie had asked if EW had known them PRIOR to Anna's disappearance. In 1967 an insurance premium notice for MK was sent to GB at the Otis Hotel. In the 1972 & 1973 city directories, GW was listed at 630 Geary. Note: The Otis Hotel is the 1156 Sutter address and I believe 630 Geary was the Abbey Hotel. Interesting, because when this premium notice was sent to the Otis, he was supposedly living with MK at 1006 Noe.

3) While looking back, I came across Doogie's attempt in early 2008 to access the records of TWA and was told they were not indexed yet and to try back at a later date. Do you think it's too soon to try again?

Awesome work Odyssey! I think when you make it to the Oakland Library, it would be a good idea to track MK's addresses between the time she started working at Letterman until her death. That should give us a good indication when she met GB and I am gonna guess that might coincide with the time GB fell off the radar and started putting everything in MK's name and address.

I'm wondering now how the junior research assistant might coincide with GB picketing. IF he were not a barber, since his listed profession with the voting registration is listed as junior research assistant, what kind of positing might that be within a union? I'll admit having too many white collar workers in the family I really have limited knowledge about unions.

Any ideas?

I will ask my sister over the weekend about the Union stuff and what she can offer in the way of direction and will call/email Monday. I am too swamped today.

It may not be too soon to inquire about the TWA index again as it has been two years. Perhaps they are indexed now.

Awesome work Odyssey! I think when you make it to the Oakland Library, it would be a good idea to track MK's addresses between the time she started working at Letterman until her death. That should give us a good indication when she met GB and I am gonna guess that might coincide with the time GB fell off the radar and started putting everything in MK's name and address.

I'm wondering now how the junior research assistant might coincide with GB picketing. IF he were not a barber, since his listed profession with the voting registration is listed as junior research assistant, what kind of positing might that be within a union? I'll admit having too many white collar workers in the family I really have limited knowledge about unions.

Any ideas?

I will ask my sister over the weekend about the Union stuff and what she can offer in the way of direction and will call/email Monday. I am too swamped today.

My guess (and only speculation) is that MK met GB around 1960 - maybe a bit earlier. I'm saying this because that is when Margaret Kukoda became "Mary Kay".

I have tried to put together a timeline on Brody and Waters and other significant events. This will help me when I go search the city directories but thought it might be useful to others as well. Please let me know if i missed anything pertinent.

1936 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 483 9th St Oakland, salesman
1938-1940 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 534 12th St Oakland (Hotel St Paul?), jr research assistant
1941 - Oakland GB is picketing for AFL Barber's Union, gets punched, calls police, goes to court. GB's address listed in news article as 1724 San Pablo Ave.
August 1942 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 1724 San Pablo Ave. Jr Research Assistant
November 1942 - Oakland GB is registered to vote, listed at 2329 San Pablo Ave, Jr Research Assistant
1943 - MK starts working at Letterman Hospital
1944 - Oakland GB registered to vote, listed at 2329 San Pablo Ave, Jr Research Assistant
1952 - MK arrested
1953 - MK listed twice in SF City Directory: on Fell St (may be listed as K M Berghald) and at 1925 Fulton #5 (nurse)
1957 - MK listed at 3009 Mission St SF (agt Stroll-O-Matic)
1958 - MK listed at 3019 Mission St SF (Oriental & French Imports)
1958 - EW known to be in SF
1960 - "Mary Kay" listed at 3141 Franklin #4
1961-1963 "Mary Kay" listed at 1006 Noe St #3
1962 - GB was at 1006 Noe by this time according to statement from landlord
1966 - Mary M Kay (wid of John) listed at 1006 Noe #3 occ-"Better Fashion Home"
Aug 1966 - GB visits MK at SFGH (Jessie Evans of 88 6th St also at hospital)
May 1967 - Insurance premium notice for MK "Mary Kay" addressed to GB at Otis Hotel (at 1156 Sutter) <--note this is the address EW knew GB to live at
July 1966-January 1967 - Rent payments for 1006 Noe were made by MK
July 1967 - Rent payment for 1006 Noe made by GB
Aug 19 1967 - GB writes statement indicating hospital demanded financial statements from MK
Aug 30 1967 - MK dies at age 50
1967 - Annasmom meets GB
Early 1968 - GW last visit to Anna
Oct 1968 - GW writes letter to German embassy
Feb 1969 - GW writes letter to wife of German leader
Aug 1970 - GW requests ephemeris for 1939 and 1947 (Sigrid) mentioning date 7/15/71
Mar 1971 - GW buys camera (later reported stolen)
May 1971 - GW makes note to contact BMW re: will
Sep 1971 - GW indicates he is planning a vacation
Sep 19 1971 - GW books R/T flight to Chicago/Central Wisconsin
Mar 1972 - GW returns binoculars??? (see Mar 1973)
May 1972 - GW begins taking out accidental death policies
Dec 1972 - last child support payment is made by GW
Jan 16 1973 - Anna disappears
Jan 1973 - TWA plane ticket appears to have been purchased, est ticket cost $500
Mar 1973 - Gw returns binoculars?? (see Mar 1972)
Sep 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka, addresses her as "Little Tito", leaves a phone number where she can reach him from 10pm-1045pm 474-3717
Nov 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka's parents
Dec 1976 - GB writes letter to Seka warning her not to alienate him
Jan 1977 - GW writes note dictated by GB "I did her a favor by accepting her.." (Seka)
Jan 1977 - GB writes letter to Seka
Jan 1977 - GB writes 2nd letter to Seka accusing her of betraying him, mentions her place of work and "Mike".
July 1978 - "Mr George" receives postcard from Seka
1978 - Jessie Evans dies
Apr 28 1981 - "George Bee" checks into Childrens Hospital
May 5 1981 - "George Bee" is released from Hospital
Aug 1981 - GW writes note about preparing when ready to go - "Arrange power of attorney, make final arrangements on policies, notary, fingerprints, etc"
Dec 20 1981 - GW calls Griffin Institute in San Diego
Dec 24 1981 - GW makes 7 minute call to Martinez number (anesthesiologist?)
Dec 24 1981 - GB dies.
Dec 24 1981 - GW makes lengthy call to EW
Dec 28 1981 - GW contacts Law Offices of Martin Dean
Jan 1982 - GW dies
Dec 1992 - EW dies in San Mateo County

This is a really amazing timeline. The only thing I can think to add is the date MK lost her nurse's license. I'm not sure when that was, but at one point I got the date from a nurse's registry, and there was a newspaper article about it. It may be under the Margaret thread.

Does anyone think I should make the GB timeline a sticky at the top of the forum? If so let me know and I will copy and post it as a sticky so it doesn't get buried.

It might be helpful to make it a sticky. I would also add to it "Late 1972 - 'The Plan' note is written."

I thought there had been some paper where GW wrote "ACE - MISSING" but I couldn't find it. Does anyone else remember that?

Does anyone think I should make the GB timeline a sticky at the top of the forum? If so let me know and I will copy and post it as a sticky so it doesn't get buried.
Great idea!

I will make it a sticky and leave it an open thread so it can be updated as we find additional information.

I thought there had been some paper where GW wrote "ACE - MISSING" but I couldn't find it. Does anyone else remember that?

That was on a ledger he kept for child support payments that he kept in the BFH. The last entry said "ACE lost".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back