TX - James Byrd Jr dragged to death in Jasper, 7 June 1998

I too remember the killing and I couldn't agree more. If ever there were a case that justifies the d.p., this would be it; but there is no such case.

Oh, my dear Nova, I agree with you nearly 100% of the time. But not this time.

I will never, ever be able to understand how any humans could do what was done to Mr. Byrd. Ever.

I'm not really a religious person, so I don't subscribe to the "eye for an eye" philosophy. However, I do believe that people who could have so much hatred in their black hearts and souls should not be free to walk this earth or breathe this air.

And I fail to see the value of incarcerating such people for life. What purpose can that possibly serve? What is gained from that sentence?

This man deserves much worse than he got, being executed was not nearly as bad as how Mr. Byrd died.

I'm curious to know what your criteria is. I can't begin to imagine a more horrific crime than this one.

I'm not always pro-death penalty but, in this case, I say good riddance.

No problem. If anyone commits any of the following then I'm okay with them being executed.

Murder Of A Child Under 16: Self-explanitory.

Murder Of At Least Three People: Once you've killed at least this many people, you are a threat to every single person around you.

Murder In Combination With Sex Crimes: If you kill someone while in the commission of a sexual felony (molestation, rape, etc.) then you have taken two serious charges and combined them. Most of these killers will also surely commit a similar offense.

If you kill a previous victim of your sex crimes then you've expelled the life of a person who was trying to move on from what you did. That is unforgiveable.

Murder Of A Law Enforcement Officer: You kill an officer of the law, whether that be a patrol officer or border patrol agent, therefore you have no regard for authority.

There are a couple of other types of cases but they don't happen overly often so I won't post them.

Was what Lawrence Brewer did horrific, yes, was it unfathomable, yes. In the end it was only one count of murder of an adult, however the victim was mentally challenged so the crime does stand out.

And no one get the picture that I don't take killing of a disabled person seriously, I'm high-functioning autistic myself.

I'll still post my Top Ten Executions Of 2011 List as it is so far so that people can get a picture of the truly "worst of the worst that the United States got rid off. I'll only post if anyone wants to see it.

Oh, my dear Nova, I agree with you nearly 100% of the time. But not this time.

I will never, ever be able to understand how any humans could do what was done to Mr. Byrd. Ever.

I'm not really a religious person, so I don't subscribe to the "eye for an eye" philosophy. However, I do believe that people who could have so much hatred in their black hearts and souls should not be free to walk this earth or breathe this air.

And I fail to see the value of incarcerating such people for life. What purpose can that possibly serve? What is gained from that sentence?

I think the only certain value to LWOP is that we refrain from being killers ourselves.

To me, it's completely an issue of principle, and not a matter of feeling sorry for this individual murderer. I do understand why you and others who feel the d.p. should be used rarely think this is one of those rare cases.

Since Soonerfan#1 asked for it, I'm going to post my Top Ten Execution List Of 2011 as it is so far.

#10 -- Roy Blankenship -- Raped and murdered a 78-year old woman in 1978.

#9 -- Jerry Jackson -- Raped and murdered an 88-year old woman in 2001.

#8 -- Humberto Leal -- Raped and murdered a 16-year old girl in 1994.

#7 -- Jason Williams -- Shot and killed his roomate, a couple and their 22-year old son. He also wounded the first victim's wife and 16-year old son and the murdered couple's 16-year old son.

#6 -- Donald Beaty -- Raped and murdered a 13-year old girl in 1984.

#5 -- Martin Link -- Raped and murdered an 11-year old girl in 1991.

#4 -- Richard Bible -- Raped and murdered a nine-year old girl in 1988.

#3 -- Andrew DeYong -- Killed his mother, father and 14-year old sister. His 16-year old brother escaped his murderous rampage.

#2 -- Frank Spisak -- Decided to take out those who were not pure in the eyes of Adolf Hitler in 1982. In an approximately seven-month period he killed a black minister, a man whom he thought was jewish and a 17-year old black male. He also wounded a factory worker and shot at a university employee.

#1 -- Benny Stevens -- Shot and killed his ex-wife, brother-in-law, 11-year old son and the son's 12-year old male friend in 1998.

I think the only certain value to LWOP is that we refrain from being killers ourselves.

To me, it's completely an issue of principle, and not a matter of feeling sorry for this individual murderer. I do understand why you and others who feel the d.p. should be used rarely think this is one of those rare cases.

I understand your POV and that killing the killers will not bring the victims back. And no matter how someone is murdered, it's really never "okay."

In this case, I find the manner of death particularly heinous and fueled by pure hatred. Our prisons are breeding grounds for racial hatred. There is no chance for white supremacists to become beacons of diversity while incarcerated, but plenty of opportunity for them to grow their hatred and continue to use it against others. I guess I just don't see the value of forcing the taxpayers to fund that type of behavior.

I'm still waiting for the execution of Richard Ramirez.If and when this happens I am celebrating on that very day.Fireworks and all.

Ramirez is in California isn't he? If so, good luck waiting for that execution - more people die of old age on California's death row than are executed.

Ramirez is in California isn't he? If so, good luck waiting for that execution - more people die of old age on California's death row than are executed.

Yes he is and I know about how California is.A girl can still dream can't she?;)

He's the # 1 on my list to execute.Has been for many years.

He is a total . When it comes to Ramirez, my head still agrees with Nova about the death penalty, but my heart agrees with you.

Texas ends 'last meals' for death row inmates

Texas stopped serving so-called last meals to death row inmates this week after a state lawmaker complained about an inmate request he considered excessive.

The furor arose after Lawrence Brewer, 44, a convicted murderer and self-described white supremacist, requested a last meal that included: two chicken-fried steaks with gravy and sliced onions; a triple-patty bacon cheeseburger; a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapeños; a bowl of fried okra with ketchup; one pound of barbecued meat with half a loaf of white bread; three fajitas; a meat-lover’s pizza; one pint of Blue Bell Ice Cream; a slab of peanut-butter fudge with crushed peanuts; and three root beers.

I am glad that Texas did this.All states should follow.They do not deserve to be given an type of tranquilizers either.
Their victims didn't get their choice of last meals or medication to make their deaths any easier.

When it comes to the murder of children I'd prefer medieval torture devices but that's just me.;)

This case still haunts the town of Jasper, Texas. I don't know that they are happy that he's been executed, but I'm sure they are glad that it's over.

Still, some can't forget.

"It put a scar right from here to here on Jasper, Texas," former Jasper County Sheriff Billy Rowles said on a recent afternoon, glancing down at his outstretched arms. "The wound healed up, but there's still a little scar there, still some scar tissue. And everybody in Jasper County -- not just Jasper, but Jasper County -- is ready for this thing to be over with."

Rowles and then-Department of Public Safety Trooper Rodney Pearson walked along two miles of drag marks together on that hot June morning. The pair stopped at Huff Creek Cemetery, where Byrd's dismembered body was left to be discovered by a passer-by.

While there, a man who lived on the road drove up in his truck to tell them a man's head and shoulders were in his yard, Pearson recalled.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/The-scar-that-just-won-t-heal-2176220.php#ixzz1YsWPVyGv

Read More

Texas stopped serving so-called last meals to death row inmates this week after a state lawmaker complained about an inmate request he considered excessive.

The furor arose after Lawrence Brewer, 44, a convicted murderer and self-described white supremacist, requested a last meal that included: two chicken-fried steaks with gravy and sliced onions; a triple-patty bacon cheeseburger; a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapeños; a bowl of fried okra with ketchup; one pound of barbecued meat with half a loaf of white bread; three fajitas; a meat-lover’s pizza; one pint of Blue Bell Ice Cream; a slab of peanut-butter fudge with crushed peanuts; and three root beers.

He coulda killed himself from indigestion. I wonder if he actually ate all of that food?

I'm surprised the Texas legislature had time to address this very important matter. I suppose they took a break from praying for rain.

I remember this case like it happened last week. This was the most disgusting murder case I have ever followed. Those men were absolutely disgusting. I am sorry to be repetitive but that is the only word I can think of to describe those beasts.

Yes, it was horrific and unimaginable what James Byrd went through before he finally died. This is one case where I believe the punishment should have been the same as the crime.........

MOO

He coulda killed himself from indigestion. I wonder if he actually ate all of that food?

It was my understanding that did not; it was simply ordered for the sake of being able to. What a waste of food that could have gone to the homeless.

Fortunately the legislature saw the light, however late.

MOO

It was my understanding that did not; it was simply ordered for the sake of being able to. What a waste of food that could have gone to the homeless.

MOO

Really???!!! The State is putting someone (however awful) to death and people are worried that a little food is wasted? Really???!!!

I rarely say or even think this, but it applies here: MAY HE ROT IN HELL!!!

MOO

That was I believe the final straw. That man ordered enough food to feed four people, then wasted it. Just so he could be a jerk one last time before dying. What a waste of a life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back