NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks scoops! Lots of good points - especially about the sound of sirens and knowing LE was on their way.
I like your, "it would've taken a houdini like abduction for someone to sneak in during that short window of time"
Got me thinking, with all the commotion of approach LE, Fire Trucks...what would MM do assuming she wanted to avoid all of this....
I always thought as a runner there was no way I would run East toward the forest and over roads I hadn't been previous on that night, but now I don't know. Would there be enough light to do it? Would I run East a bit and try to duck into the woods.... I would figure that LE might travel east and see where I made a break into the woods because there was new snow around... but just running East, they could spot me as well...

Thanks scoops! Lots of good points - especially about the sound of sirens and knowing LE was on their way.
I like your, "it would've taken a houdini like abduction for someone to sneak in during that short window of time"
Got me thinking, with all the commotion of approach LE, Fire Trucks...what would MM do assuming she wanted to avoid all of this....
I always thought as a runner there was no way I would run East toward the forest and over roads I hadn't been previous on that night, but now I don't know. Would there be enough light to do it? Would I run East a bit and try to duck into the woods.... I would figure that LE might travel east and see where I made a break into the woods because there was new snow around... but just running East, they could spot me as well...

There is a field that is in between the Westman's house and the school bus driver's and from the point of Maura's wreck, she would've likely been right in line with that field. A tree-line would possibly block the view of the Westman's if Maura were to head into this field. That would be a good place to at least head for initially(because it is complete darkness). Beyond the field is a stream and I don't know what that would be like to try and cross in February with snow on the ground.

Here is a picture of said field.

IMG_9839 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am standing where I believe Maura's car ended up the night she went missing and looking directly across the street. This isn't the best picture, but it was the only one I took of the field. Obviously, a lot of info points to her not going into this field (no known footprints provided it was looked at and the tracking dogs picking up her scent going east) but I had always been curious about this little field that separates the houses of the Westmans and the Atwoods.

There is a field that is in between the Westman's house and the school bus driver's and from the point of Maura's wreck, she would've likely been right in line with that field. A tree-line would possibly block the view of the Westman's if Maura were to head into this field. That would be a good place to at least head for initially(because it is complete darkness). Beyond the field is a stream and I don't know what that would be like to try and cross in February with snow on the ground.

I trying to remember if you captured that field and stream in the photos you took when you were there.... IIRC you did... trying to search for links... let me try this:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #8

ETA: oops - I see you got it and posted in you post just above this one - thanks!

hoping this link works, but this should take you right to the area of the accident.

bath, NH - Google Maps

IF you go to this link and see this house ( Not 100 percent sure who lived in this house at time Maura went missing but it would've technically been the closest house to her wreck on same side of road) spinning to the left of this house you will be staring right down Rt. 112 as it goes east and across the street you can see the house that the Atwoods lived in

Spinning to the right of this house and you have the westwardly direction that includes the weathered barn, the Westman's house and the tree in which fred put the ribbon on although maura's car ended up further east down the road kind of close to the house.

Just a minor update ... FWIW

I just got off the phone with the New Hampshire Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin concerning the partial human skull found in the Littleton horse cemetery and he believes they are now finishing up testing and estimated that in a few weeks or less there will be a press release on the matter.

OK, here is something that drives me insane as a reader, a WSer, and a teacher. The May 11, 2011 SOCO article says this:

First, this writer builds an entire hypothesis from material even though he or she "can't be sure exactly where it came from." The writer identifies that hypothesis as "speculation," but certainly gives inordinate weight to "information" picked up from the web (some board or blog, no doubt). Now that unidentified, unsourced information has a new luster to it, having been printed in a "traditional" magazine, pictures and all. And careless readers will pick up what that magazine says as "fact" and it will be on more boards and blogs, now with a new status.

We can recognize the basic outlines of the call log narrative, in which the 911
dispatcher is recording, presumably, what Westman said. How easy would it have been for the "reporter" to source and cite? Jiminy crickets, the mods here expect that of us. This is a print magazine. Then, note the shift: "what looked like another person in the car." This seems to imply that the source (whom we know to be Westman) said there was "another" person, not just one person. Our discussion above indicates that the call log refers to "a man," but it certainly never refers to more than one person. Now, if Westman did see a man, and Atwood a woman, we would indeed have two people; however, no one has ever said he or she saw two distinct people at the scene.

This sloppy research and leaping to a conclusion (what a witness describes as a man at the scene turns into "another person") is what causes so many problems in this case. In this case, this writer weaves that other person into a narrative in which Maura was traveling with someone, who put the rag in the tailpipe to stall the car and hid in the woods. That explains (so this story goes) why Maura didn't want LE at the scene and why she left (to join up with the phantom "other person"). As in many loopy conspiracy theories, the writer doesn't explain why a predator would need to stage a wreck in front of a bunch of houses and potential witnesses, in order to abduct and murder Maura, when he's already got her in a car and can just kill her somewhere in private and dump the car.

The article is worth a read, but it makes me more skeptical than I was of the first SOCO piece (which ran in April 2011.)

The new article can be accessed by googling issuu soco May 2011.

I didn't like the SOCO article either. I found it very sloppy with the known facts. I don't think the writer did a very good investigation of this case at all.

Also to add to that, while this area is considered very remote, the specific site of the accident is not that remote. With the weathered Barn store (owned by the westman's) that has a big street light out in front of it and the school bus driver's house which had yet another big street light by the road, plus the westman's house and the Mayottes house with their lights on. I know If I were looking to abduct someone or even ruse someone into my car, that would not be the place I would want to do it (I would be way too afraid of having my car or license plate spotted). I would have been spooked off and then you have the police that (You would know already would be on their way). Way too risky and most criminals are opportunists, This particular area is not very opportune at that time of the night and in this circumstance.

I agree, in my opinion, if she was abducted, it was down the road somewhere.

If Maura ran, I wonder if her feet became uncomfortably cold eventually. There was never any mention on what she usually wore for shoes.

If Maura ran, I wonder if her feet became uncomfortably cold eventually. There was never any mention on what she usually wore for shoes.

Interesting point - I never remember my feet feeling cold while running some cold nights in the upper twenties.... running kept circulation going and flexing of feet generated heat... As mentioned can't see someone running at night after snow fall on a road. A side walk is better, light color, and less stones, also using a flashlight... No sidewalks where MM was, wonder if she had any sort of light...
A problem running in the cold is actually when you stop - all sweaty your body heat flows out, clothing damp from sweat is bad too.
So running or fast jogging for miles and then ducking into a snowy field spells hypothermia. Alcohol in your system doesn't help either.

She is believed to have been wearing a pair of those (for lack of a better term) bowling shoes that were popular at the time. Not very warm at all, with not a whole lot of traction and very little (if any) weather protection from snow etc.

She is believed to have been wearing a pair of those (for lack of a better term) bowling shoes that were popular at the time. Not very warm at all, with not a whole lot of traction and very little (if any) weather protection from snow etc.

Googled women's bowling shoes... some have treads, remind me a bit of the classic leather Rebok running shoes wife and I used
http://www.reebok.com/US/product?mo...324&cm_mmc=Nextag-_-CSE-_-Shopping-_-Shopping
As you can see not for warmth, but you don't feel cold when you are running... when you stop, that's a different story.

ETA if any runners see this, before you say something about this shoe not having this-or-that support, we like them, they worked for our feet...

As a long-time year-round runner, I never had problems with real running shoes and proper socks. If Maura was wearing bowling-type shoes, they would be very poor on bad roads, and even on dry pavement. Running shoes are made to absorb shock and support the midfoot, to allow for proper heal strike and alignment. Roads are bad to run on even in good weather because they are "crowned" for drainage, which means unless the runner is running dead in the center of the road, he or she is running lopsided, which causes chronomalacia patella, commonly known as runner's knee, and no doubt other structural problems of the foot, ankle, knee and hip.

Maura might well have had even bigger problems; if she had any alcohol, she would have been subject to its depressant qualities, lowered heart-rate, slower cognition, body temperature and blood pressure changes, all of which might have made her prone to hypothermia, especially if she did run for a while and found she had to stop and walk. It is very hard to run when under the influence (although old-time marathoners have done it...), but under the influence, at night, on unfamiliar roads in snow conditions, in the cold, and with a possible head injury (something did hit the windshield)--not a recipe for safe running.

Googled women's bowling shoes... some have treads, remind me a bit of the classic leather Rebok running shoes wife and I used
http://www.reebok.com/US/product?mo...324&cm_mmc=Nextag-_-CSE-_-Shopping-_-Shopping
As you can see not for warmth, but you don't feel cold when you are running... when you stop, that's a different story.

ETA if any runners see this, before you say something about this shoe not having this-or-that support, we like them, they worked for our feet...

These are not at all the kind of shoes I meant. Sorry...I'll try to find a picture of something similar to the shoes she was wearing in teh next day or so.

And as long as her feet stayed dry and she was running, she would probably not have felt cold, even in her feet, but it can and does still happen, and if she was walking at times too, her feet may well have been pretty chilly, especially if they were wet.

As I said, I'll look for pictures of the kind of shoe she had on. Not at all like those classic Reeboks.

I remember those types of shoes. I googled and this is the closest I could find to what I'm thinking of - more of a casual/athletic/fashion shoe ("bowling shoe" style) than an actual bowling shoe. Is this close (ignore the multicolor)?

nike-cortez-redsky-1.jpg

http://www.soleredemption.com/pics/2007/07/nike-cortez-redsky-1.jpg

Wonder if they could check the ATM and liquor store video to see her shoes
?

As a long-time year-round runner, I never had problems with real running shoes and proper socks. If Maura was wearing bowling-type shoes, they would be very poor on bad roads, and even on dry pavement. Running shoes are made to absorb shock and support the midfoot, to allow for proper heal strike and alignment. Roads are bad to run on even in good weather because they are "crowned" for drainage, which means unless the runner is running dead in the center of the road, he or she is running lopsided, which causes chronomalacia patella, commonly known as runner's knee, and no doubt other structural problems of the foot, ankle, knee and hip.

Maura might well have had even bigger problems; if she had any alcohol, she would have been subject to its depressant qualities, lowered heart-rate, slower cognition, body temperature and blood pressure changes, all of which might have made her prone to hypothermia, especially if she did run for a while and found she had to stop and walk. It is very hard to run when under the influence (although old-time marathoners have done it...), but under the influence, at night, on unfamiliar roads in snow conditions, in the cold, and with a possible head injury (something did hit the windshield)--not a recipe for safe running.

While our shoe preference may differ - What you wrote is spot on!
So if she ran and suffered hypothermia, a wider search area need to be considered..
OT - we still fast walk 2 miles/day, up and down hills... daylight only, too afraid of getting mugged now....

After thinking about it.... perhaps as sleuths we are looking for too much skullduggery - the simplest explanation is that MM took off running and at some point stopped because she was tired or tripped on a stone and decided to rest in the woods, and scummed to the elements that way. A wider search area was needed...

After thinking about it.... perhaps as sleuths we are looking for too much skullduggery - the simplest explanation is that MM took off running and at some point stopped because she was tired or tripped on a stone and decided to rest in the woods, and scummed to the elements that way. A wider search area was needed...

That's the simplest explanation, for sure. And a wider search area was needed. But I'm still not convinced that she took off running. I do not think she disappeared on her own. If so, clothing, remains, etc - something would have turned up by now. JMHO

I've always thought that too--- a wider search makes sense.

It was pitch black darkness, so it must have been disorienting. She could have slipped or twisted an ankle too, which may have slowed her down. I do think she was physically able to make it to town, but there was alot against her. The darkness, her clothing . . I have a feeling the roads were inclines through the National Forest from Haverhill, which would have added to the grueling run. Since her shoes were only street shoes, I doubt she went into the woods. She would have had shoes filled with snow. The lack of sunlight from the trees would have preserved the snow, so I imagine it was at least 6 inches in depth, if not more. All in all, agree a wider search makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth