GA - ALERT! recent attacks on hiking trails!

Backwoods

Reaction score
Didn't see where this has been posted to WS-- possible the July 29 attack has been, somewhere, and I just didn't see it, as I know it has been a pretty big news story. Sorry if I'm repeating, but folks need to be aware of this. IMO:

Attempted attack reported on Cartersville trail

...The woman told investigators she heard what sounded like a Taser being deployed and wires shot toward her helmet didn't stick. Investigators say the woman fled and asked others on the trail for help.

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/08/05/3234284/attempted-attack-reported-on-cartersville.html#wgt=rcntnews

Woman found badly beaten on Silver Comet Trail

DALLAS, Ga. — Authorities say a 42-year-old woman is hospitalized after she was found badly beaten on the Silver Comet Trail northwest of Atlanta.

Paulding County sheriff's officials said a bicyclist spotted the badly injured woman, who had been beaten in her head and face, lying on the side of the trail...

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/07/30/3224295/woman-found-badly-beaten-on-silver.html

No idea whether these are related -- but very scary. For some reason, I especially loathe when perps do their evil in nature areas.

The first thing I thought when I saw the trails at Reynolds Plantation was "what a perfect playground for a serial rapist/killer." Yikes! Please beware of your surroundings everyone in these areas! Evil lurks!

Agreed! I am in NW Ga, and have friends who know the victim from Silver Comet (which run all over my old stomping grounds.) Sad, scary and very unnerving. IIRC this is not the first time there's been an attack on Silver Comet.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Agreed! I am in NW Ga, and have friends who know the victim from Silver Comet (which run all over my old stomping grounds.) Sad, scary and very unnerving. IIRC this is not the first time there's been an attack on Silver Comet.

bbm: You're right. I've just found a WS thread for Jennifer Ewing, who was killed on the Silver Comet Trail in 2006. (A man was convicted of her murder.):

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...54-Smyrna-25-July-2006&highlight=silver+comet

I also see that there have been some recent posts to her thread mentioning the July 29 attack.

Here is another item about that recent attack on Silver Comet. (Warning: Graphic photo of victim's facial injuries.) bbm in the quote

Reward fund set up in Silver Comet Trail attack

...Forty-two year-old Tina Waddell was beaten in the face. Her attacker did not steal any belongings -- there were no other serious injuries to her. The attacker just left her on the trail. ...

...the sheriff's office is starting a reward fund to try and shake loose some information from tipsters to lead detectives to the attacker before he strikes again. The only description they have at this point is that of a white man with dark hair. ...

more at: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...set-up-in-silver-comet-trail-attack/13604867/

ETA: ... and another, which also references the 2006 murder:

Husband: Woman beaten on Silver Comet Trail unrecognizable

...Peter Skott was on the trail when he noticed Tina Waddell. He first thought a bike crash was the cause of her severe head injuries as he saw her crawling from the bushes and trees lining the Silver Comet Trail.

Struggling to speak, Waddell said it was not an accident. She had been attacked, beaten so badly that two days later she remained in the intensive care unit at a nearby hospital.

“I won’t forget that image again,” Skott told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Wednesday. “I hope I was at the right place at the right time and this lady makes it.” ...

...Skott ... said he came up on Waddell early Tuesday evening about two miles after he biked pass the memorial to Jennifer Ewing, who was killed while on one of her daily 50-mile rides along the trail. Ewing’s murderer, Michael Ledford, was convicted in 2009 and is now on Georgia’s Death Row. ...
more at: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/woman-attacked-seriously-injured-on-silver-comet-t/ngqzL/

Here is more on this Tuesday's attack in Bartow County as well -- the one that seems to have involved a taser:

[h=1]Sheriff: Man fired Taser at woman on Bartow trail[/h]One week after a 42-year-old woman was beaten on the Silver Comet Trail, a 19-year-old woman riding her bicycle on the Iron Hill Trail at Red Top Mountain State Park said a man tried to attack her Tuesday morning with a Taser. ...

...The suspect fled into a wooded area toward Red Top Estates. He may have been dressed in camouflage, the sheriff’s office said.

more at: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/sheriff-man-attempted-to-attack-woman-on-bartow-tr/ngwD7/

I can't decide whether LE feels these two recent attacks may be linked or if media is just linking them in coverage.

I will venture out on a limb and say the media is linking them. They have said/reported that Tina could have known her attacker (I think it was a clip of an LE statement, but could have just been a reporter). However, if there were any similarities the perception could have changed.

I will venture out on a limb and say the media is linking them. They have said/reported that Tina could have known her attacker (I think it was a clip of an LE statement, but could have just been a reporter). However, if there were any similarities the perception could have changed.

bbm: Yes, if I'm remembering right, there was an LE comment that the fact the injuries were concentrated on her face COULD mean that it was a very "personal" attack by someone known to her.

That poor woman! I sure hope she recovers well. Maybe she will soon be able to give LE some more helpful info, if she hasn't already.

[h=1]Sheriff: More cameras on Silver Comet trail[/h]...About 47 high-resolution digital cameras would be added at about 21 locations along the trail in the first phase of the project, with more cameras added later.

The expansion of cameras would be a dramatic upgrade, since there now only three sites with cameras along Paulding County's 18-mile portion of the trail. ...

...The Silver Comet is part of the nation's longest paved trail, which stretches more than 90 miles from Atlanta's northwest suburbs to Anniston, Alabama....

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/08/07/3237720/sheriff-announces-plans-for-more.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Good plan, but so sad to me that all these cameras are NEEDED.

bbm: Yes, if I'm remembering right, there was an LE comment that the fact the injuries were concentrated on her face COULD mean that it was a very "personal" attack by someone known to her.

Or maybe they just really hate blond females. Seems if someone was THAT angry with her she could figure out who it was.

Or maybe they just really hate blond females. Seems if someone was THAT angry with her she could figure out who it was.
Yes, it could be a random attack by someone who hates blonde females. Perhaps she can and will identify her attacker. However, I am not sure she is/was physically able just yet. Did you view the photo?

Yes, it could be a random attack by someone who hates blonde females. Perhaps she can and will identify her attacker. However, I am not sure she is/was physically able just yet. Did you view the photo?

I saw a photo of her in the hospital with her eyes swollen shut etc... I believe the news said she told the police the attacker was "a white man with black hair". That description struck me as odd, unless the attacker was Goth or an Elvis impersonator, not very many white men have black hair.

I saw a photo of her in the hospital with her eyes swollen shut etc... I believe the news said she told the police the attacker was "a white man with black hair". That description struck me as odd, unless the attacker was Goth or an Elvis impersonator, not very many white men have black hair.
I am confused? I know many white men with natural black hair color.

I am confused? I know many white men with natural black hair color.

Really? I have never seen one that had natural BLACK hair. Most all men that have naturally black hair qualify for minority status and are not considered "white men" by the government when it comes to benefits/minority status etc...

Really? I have never seen one that had natural BLACK hair. Most all men that have naturally black hair qualify for minority status and are not considered "white men" by the government when it comes to benefits/minority status etc...
You've never seen a caucasian with black hair? Sorry, I don't mean to sound shocked, but I see them everywhere including my friends and family. I've seen white men with natural blonde, brown, red, black ... what natural hair color are they supposed to have?

I didn't mean to get off topic, but IMO if the description was a white male with black hair then I don't view it as uncommon.

You've never seen a caucasian with black hair? Sorry, I don't mean to sound shocked, but I see them everywhere including my friends and family. I've seen white men with natural blonde, brown, red, black ... what natural hair color are they supposed to have?

I didn't mean to get off topic, but IMO if the description was a white male with black hair then I don't view it as uncommon.

I agree. And what's more, if you're getting your face smashed in by some guy, even very dark brown hair could understandably be perceived as black.

Another area trail, another attempted attack:

[h=3]Woman scares off attacker on Freedom Park Trail[/h]ATLANTA (CBS46) - It's happened again. Another woman has reported an attack on an area trail.
The most recent incident was reported on the Freedom Park Trail in northeast Atlanta, near the intersection of North Avenue and Euclid.

PR (edited to initials) told CBS46 News she was jogging on the trail around 10:30 a.m. Monday when she heard something from behind her. ...

R (initial) said the man, clean-cut and wearing a gray shirt and jeans, never said a word. ...

more at: http://www.cbs46.com/story/26271763/freedom-park-trail

The Silver Comet Trail is back in the news again, and not in a good way:

[h=1]Cyclist dodges roofing nails on Silver Comet Trail[/h]..."They were set up across the trail, on the right side where most cyclists would be, face up," he said. ...

...When Held returned to remove the nails, he said it was clear that whoever put them there wanted to hurt somebody.
"It certainly wasn't an accident," he said. "They were placed there for a reason." ...

more (and video) at: http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...2015/01/05/nails-silver-comet-trail/21276987/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back