Feds Arrest 60+ members of Mongols motorcycle gang

STEADFAST

Reaction score
"Police and Federal agents arrested more than 60 members of a Mongols motorcycle gang Tuesday in a sweep across seven states in the United States. The gang was allegedly involved in cases of murder, narcotics trafficking, weapons violations, money laundering, and hate-crimes."
http://www.rttnews.com/ArticleView.aspx?Id=749091&SMap=1

"The government also is attempting to seize the motorcycle gang's trademarked name, featured on the patch that its 500 to 600 members wear on their jackets. U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O'Brien said it is the first time the government has taken such a step.
. . .
"If local law enforcement sees that symbol they can literally take the jacket right off his back," O'Brien said. "

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_S_atf22.4041973.html

"The government also is attempting to seize the motorcycle gang's trademarked name, featured on the patch that its 500 to 600 members wear on their jackets. U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O'Brien said it is the first time the government has taken such a step.
. . .
"If local law enforcement sees that symbol they can literally take the jacket right off his back," O'Brien said. "
(respectfully snipped)

If the gvt is given the right to the trademark -- well the thought blows my mind and the implications are staggering to say the least...

Looking at it from more of a LE perspective it would probably be positive (aside from potential violence that might be the result of trying to take a jacket off of someone's back without a ton of backup)?

But since it could very well end up being carried over to other trademarks and such, I'm not so sure... That level of control is more authoritarian than I prefer :waitasec:

I wonder what LE thinks of it??

I agree that they need to be arrested :behindbar if they were involved in murder and other crimes but I don't agree with the government taking the patch - sounds a little too controling for me. As I was reading that I thought I was reading about another country :eek: what have we come to when they can literally take the jacket off someones back.

And like maconrich mentioned about other trademarks - where does that leave them? Can we assume they could be under attack next??

Where would it end? A motorcycle gang patch today, religious symbols tomorrow.

One of the men arrested was in my city of Redlands! He had a Redlands PD sticker on his front door from what I am told. They obviously do not give an address. There are many more Monguls in the IE and Hells Angels hang out at "Angels" sports bar in Yucaipa. Bad people I am glad they were pretty successful in their sting operation!

I live in the San Fernando Valley and they are quite prevalent though not as much as before. A few weeks ago the 2 freeway was shut down because a motocyclist was shot in the head. It was related to the Mongols.
The cops regularly bust them for meth dealing around here.
I also don't like the idea of the government appropriating the trademark. They will just find another to use, but I am glad they are cracking down on them

I A few weeks ago the 2 freeway was shut down because a motocyclist was shot in the head. It was related to the Mongols.

I remember reading about that in the paper. Scary stuff!

Taking the patch is ridiculous and puts LE at risk. Not to mention it sounds like a violation of freedom of expression; it's not like they're walking around naked offending people; they're wearing a jacket patch on the back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back