GUILTY AK - Nick Chamberlain for near-fatal stabbing of ex-GF, 17, Anchorage, 7 Dec 2009

Mel--Moms and Dads can't be everywhere but we can make our kids aware of our expectations. One of the most memorable pieces of advice I ever got about raising kids is "It's not what they do, but how you respond, that makes the difference".

Kids would not be normal or healthy if they didn't push the boundaries and try some "stuff". What matters is how we respond. It's best not to freak out but to stay calm and concerned and loving--to let them know that they can make a mistake but they need to make it right. Don't lecture. Kids don't have the listening capacity of a gnat. Use simple words and actions to teach. The heart to hearts are a perk of the twenties. Plus you both get to share a bottle of wine or a pot of coffee!!

Try not to fix every little problem. Let them sweat. That's healthy. I personally feel that shame is a very good thing. There's not enough shame in our society today. Of course kids are going to go to R rated films, smoke some pot, drive too fast, look at *advertiser censored*, play violent video games. As long, though, as they know in the back of their minds, that "Mom or Dad wouldn't like this", they'll do fine. They will carry you on their shoulder like Jiminy Cricket!! It's very important to build the bonds strongly before the teen years set in--like battening down the hatches before a storm. You can ride it out. You'll both be proud you made it.

I've found that if you keep touch a part of your every day life, it works like a charm. It's really hard to hug your Mom or your Dad and not have a conscience!! Kids go around thinking, "Bummer, I can't do that or they'd be disappointed". That's success, in my book.

BTW, I just welcomed home, with loving arms, a delightful 20 year old--home from college (YES!!)--a survivor--an amazing young man. I could not be more blessed. This little boy/man was put into my arms at age two. I never would have imagined the incredible human being that he has become.

For ALL of you parents that watch your kids/teens, keep track of their friends, their My Space accounts, Face Book...GOOD FOR YOU ! In this day and time, we owe it to our children to provide every possible protection under the sun. Of course, they will throw fits, but I have learned over the years that they actually need that sort of structure and the knowledge that their parents care. Don't ever apologize for checking out their lives and who they are involved with, it will pay off in the end. My grown children are getting to the point where they are thankful that they had parents who monitored their actions...they never would have said this years ago. In fact, when they were teens they countered our rules with "I hate you" and other demonstrations of rebelion. Thankfully, that doesn't last forever !

Congratulate yourselves for being great parents. It's much easier to turn a blind eye, it's the harder choice to monitor those in need of guidance. Keep it up !

You know what's really fun Searchfortruth, when you find your adult kids being just as strict as you were. Sometimes, I cringe for my sweet grandbabies and wish they'd get another chance before they get a time out. But I know that their parents are following in our footsteps and being firm but loving. I couldn't be more proud when I see that.

We have a tradition in our family that when you really act out, you have to make the rounds to talk to your older sibs and family members and work things out. It's amazing how well this works. The kids get lots of good advice and feedback and know that they are being cared about.

PS I still reserve the right to spoil grandbabies once in a while.

You know what's really fun Searchfortruth, when you find your adult kids being just as strict as you were. Sometimes, I cringe for my sweet grandbabies and wish they'd get another chance before they get a time out. But I know that their parents are following in our footsteps and being firm but loving. I couldn't be more proud when I see that.

We have a tradition in our family that when you really act out, you have to make the rounds to talk to your older sibs and family members and work things out. It's amazing how well this works. The kids get lots of good advice and feedback and know that they are being cared about.

PS I still reserve the right to spoil grandbabies once in a while.

BBM.

Spoiling your Grandkids is not only your right, but your duty ! LOL !

"Chamberlain never explained why he attacked her".

That one's simple. He knew she was dating someone else and even though she agreed to go out into the woods for a surprise, she wasn't totally compliant. She complained of being cold and wanted to go back inside. He wanted absolute control...plain and simple.

This case has been bothering me. I still don't see a trial date but I did find this. LM is one strong young woman!!

http://www.adn.com/2010/02/10/1133583/stabbing-victim-speaks-mayor-honors.html

Feb. 11, 2010

"Her lung had been punctured. The blade had come impossibly close to severing the artery in her neck -- to murdering her.

Seventeen-year-old LM was on the ground, more than 70 wounds bleeding onto the white snow outside Service High School as police swarmed the area in a massive manhunt for the suspect, her 16-year-old former boyfriend.

But she was still conscious. She knew she needed to survive...."

and

"....She's still in physical therapy for injuries to her left hand and shoulder, which were pierced by the folding knife. She expects to make a full recovery.

"I did learn a little bit about myself and others," she said, "mostly that you can fight your way out of anything if you actually try."

more at link

Scary...I'm lost for words..I am glad she will be okay.

After stabbing his ex-girlfriend more than 70 times with a pocketknife and as she clung to life in the woods near Service High School, Nicholas Chamberlain stood over her.

"I put my hands up, and I asked, 'What do you want? Why are you doing this?' " Lory Miebs, the victim, told a judge Friday at Nick Chamberlain's sentencing hearing. "He said the three words that still haunt me: 'Just hold still.' "

On Friday, Judge Michael Wolverton sentenced him to serve 42 years in prison

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/19/2871832/man-who-stabbed-ex-girlfriend.html#storylink=cpy

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back